• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 is noisy, yours?

I think you would be an ideal candidate to post a vid. Slap TLoU in, get it to the title screen with the volume down and stick your phone/camera near the console and we'll compare. This is important because I'm yet to hear a whisper quiet console so I'm ready to be impressed.

I support this.

I think people's definitions of "whisper quiet" vary significantly.

Data Ghost

Can the noise be reduced with software updates?

Well from my experience, all PS4 consoles ramp up the fan in the same places, MGSV title screen, most of TLoU, and most of Killzone. So they are obviously designed to work like this. I sure software changes could slow them down, but that would surely reduce the lifespan? I dunno...

Order

My old PS4 sounded like a jet engine. If yours is doing this you should send it to Sony, it's not normal. My new one is extremely quiet.

Samyy

Is anyones PS4 really loud when reading disks, and then quiets done after its done?
Its just on startup, and when entering games that it sounds loud, after that its okay. Seems different from before, never noticed it early - kinda concerned.

Data Ghost

My old PS4 sounded like a jet engine. If yours is doing this you should send it to Sony, it's not normal. My new one is extremely quiet.

What? All 3 have been faulty? I think you should post a vid too, go on, it won't take long and it would certainly support the whisper quiet argument. Record close to the PS4 with MGSV or TLoU on the title screen. We are very short on whisper quiet vids.

My PS4 is usually quiet but I noticed it getting loud whenever I paused TLOU.
Strange that it was when I paused. Once I unpaused it would get quiet again.

Also gets temporarily loud while first reading a disk but then quiets down.

Order

How does one simply send it to Sony? Surely they will charge you postage and packaging too?

Call the customer support and they should tell you if you're under the one year warranty. They take of all the costs and you don't even need a receipt.

TLoU is loud as shit for me too. It changes the fan speed all the time, sometimes kicking up when it's paused for some odd reason. I have the digital version BTW. I've played a fair amount of games now on the console, 15-20 I'd say. And half of those games are digital, the other physical. Some games are loud as hell, and others aren't. I understand resource heavy games = louder consoles, but it just seems so goddamn random for every game. I don't even know what to think anymore :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is anyones PS4 really loud when reading disks, and then quiets done after its done?
Its just on startup, and when entering games that it sounds loud, after that its okay. Seems different from before, never noticed it early - kinda concerned.

Yes, mine is exactly like this. Very loud vibrations when a disc is being read, then it gets quieter.

As for fan noise, it varies. It's never completely silent, which I'm personally convinced no PS4 is. It doesn't make sense for it to be, as the fan is always running, even if just at a low speed. People just have different standards for what "silent" means, I suppose (which means they're wrong, because silent means silent). But it's pretty quiet when just idling or running Netflix or something. I can hear it if there's no other sound, but it's by no means loud. When playing games it varies. In some games it stays rather quiet, in others it gets significantly louder. Never as loud as my Phat PS3, but I need quite a bit of game audio to completely drown it out.

DirtyLarry

I hear the disk spin when I first start a game up, then I never hear it again really, and unfortunately I am usually playing my console with the volume pretty low as my wife is usually asleep on the couch and I tend not to wear headphone all that often as then I cannot hear anything else.

poodpick

I wish some of you with whisper quiet ps4s would use a sound level app or just record your ps4 under load with a microphone.

It's pretty quiet playing TLOU

Are you running it at 60fps or 30fps?

If you're running it at 60fps, I can only assume that you have it submerged in liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. When I try to play it in 60fps, my PS4 is as loud as the original 360 models were, which is jet engine levels. I had to change it to 30fps just so it wasn't so loud and distracting while I was trying to play.

I think you would be an ideal candidate to post a vid. Slap TLoU in, get it to the title screen with the volume down and stick your phone/camera near the console and we'll compare. This is important because I'm yet to hear a whisper quiet console so I'm ready to be impressed.

Okay ill do it

therapist

Mines pretty quiet but my xb1 is not...i can hear the fan running when its not even on , i think its just some standby function i need to turn off.

Ps4 should be next to dead quiet , and it looks like you're giving it plenty of room to breathe.
Have you tried just spraying an air can into the fan area? It might simply be dusty?

Well from my experience, all PS4 consoles ramp up the fan in the same places, MGSV title screen, most of TLoU, and most of Killzone. So they are obviously designed to work like this. I sure software changes could slow them down, but that would surely reduce the lifespan? I dunno...

I'm uploading the clip right now but I did some other tests with Wolfenstein, Infamous and Killzone.

Absolutely whisper quiet. So quiet I cant hear anything at all.

If you're running it at 60fps, I can only assume that you have it submerged in liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. When I try to play it in 60fps, my PS4 is as loud as the original 360 models were, which is jet engine levels. I had to change it to 30fps just so it wasn't so loud and distracting while I was trying to play.

60fps

K' Dash

When I'm in the start screen in The last of us it sounds like it's going to take off, but is just in that specific game.

DirtyLarry

I wish some of you with whisper quiet ps4s would use a sound level app or just record your ps4 under load with a microphone.

Here you go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIi6w4KQCQ&list=UUZzgA2SntRrk7AgxKWkNpFQ

You can here the drive spinning up for the first 30 or so seconds, and here it stop at 29 seconds, then it is pretty damn quiet the rest of the time. My dog barks, and I talk as a reference point.
And just an FYI, the low hum you hear the entire time is actually my cable box.

Oh and because some people want to know, running it at 60 fps.

Superflat

Here you go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIi6w4KQCQ&list=UUZzgA2SntRrk7AgxKWkNpFQ

You can here the drive spinning up for the first 30 or so seconds, and here it stop at 29 seconds, then it is pretty damn quiet the rest of the time. My dog barks, and I talk as a reference point.
And just an FYI, the low hum you hear the entire time is actually my cable box.

These are pretty much representative of my PS4 too when playing TLOU (and anything else). Aside from the initial disc spin, which is the only audible part for me, I don't hear jack. I probably sunk at least 30 hours into TLOU by now too.

And the noise level better stay that way >:l

ValeYard

Hello, I've had my ps4 for around two weeks now. After playing the xbox one, I did notice the fans a bit more and as a general OCD in recovery - hello dear brethren - I measured the sound level with an iPhone app. The values lined up pretty much with digital foundry's, recorded in the table.

The console has to cool a PSU and GDDR5 RAM so I think games stressing the GPU are bound to get the fans going around 50 db. This is actually the first console I just have in the open to guarantee air flow.

Hope I could help!

Mines as quiet as a mute mouse. Played TLOU, hammered Destiny, Battlefield, Resogun etc, god knows how many hour's I've got out of it all ready, and I'm only about 4ft away from it when I'm playing.

Should add that my PS4 has plenty of room for airflow.

poodpick

http://youtu.be/lzMKmMU-5bc

I guess my ps4 is normal according to that df article. Measured the sound using an app on my smart phone and got around 50 db under load. I guess the type of fan inside the ps4 just makes the noise more noticeable.

I tried making a video using TLOU, but the fan didn't ramp up as much as ground zeroes.

Oublieux

Uhh, mine does not do this at all. It's relatively quiet; I'd say it's about equal to the noise my original slim PS3 makes.

Data Ghost

Thanks to those that uploaded more vids, yes some of those do seem relatively quiet. I've done another video showing the difference between close up and a few feet away where I sit when I'm gaming. As you will hear, it's quite loud however I have it on a cheap thin shelf,with hard bare walls around it and wood flooring so there is nothing to absorb the fan noise at all, check it out:

http://youtu.be/n6RizzBLG6w

I will say, the air coming out of the back is NOT hot, it's barely warm and the console itself does not get hot either. I do wonder what temps the quieter PS4's are reaching.

It's also worth noting that the PS4 in this vid is the replacement and the one in my previous vid was a different one. However as you can see/hear, they sound pretty much exactly the same.

Also thanks to the person who solved the console noise during standby. It's true that if you untick the option to power the USB ports in standby there is no sound at all. If it is ticked you can here a slight sound from the console during standby.

Call the customer support and they should tell you if you're under the one year warranty. They take of all the costs and you don't even need a receipt.

Hmm sounds good. I will give them a call.

I would love a replacement because mine is distractingly noisy. So much so, my girlfriend said it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

In summer it was very noisy, I avoided playing it most days. But in the winter it was very silent that you wouldn't even notice that it was on.

Mogwai

Mines noisy during heavy load games such Killzone SF, Second Son and TLOU. 30fps limiter is very handy to reduce the noise, but it doesn't always eliminate it completely.

I'm looking forward to see if the inevitable PS4 Slim will have a better design for fan and heat dissipation.

But I can't stop wondering if Sony could change the cooling profile to be less aggressive. It'll cut the lifespan of the console a bit, but it would be nice with less noise.

freefornow

Gold Member
http://youtu.be/lzMKmMU-5bc

I guess my ps4 is normal according to that df article. Measured the sound using an app on my smart phone and got around 50 db under load. I guess the type of fan inside the ps4 just makes the noise more noticeable.

I tried making a video using TLOU, but the fan didn't ramp up as much as ground zeroes.

So definitely not "whisper quiet" then.
decibelthermometer-horizontal.jpg

My PS4 is as loud as my original X360 was. And it feels got as hell. One of the worst running machines I've ever had.

Launch day system here.
Well then something is wrong with yours, get it checked out. Mine has never got anywhere near as loud as my 360 ever was.

And for people quoting decibel levels, it's worth stating how close to the console you were taking the measurement.

Fliesen

Transistor makes mine way louder than any other game I have. Anyone experience similar?

Supposedly transistor's menus run at unlocked framerate and the GPU will just churn out Frames like crazy which makes it run really hot.
there was a similar issue with Starcraft 2
http://www.geek.com/games/starcraft-ii-menu-screen-are-overheating-pcs-1273539/

it's not confirmed, but if you pay Attention it's mostly the ingame menus (picking your skills, reading terminals) that make the fans go crazy loud.

I really have no idea if this makes any difference, but a friend of mine has this as well and I have no issues whatsoever. Mine was manufactured in Japan and my friend's was made in China. Again, dunno if that has anything to do with it. But as a consumer, I'm a little more at ease knowing my stuff is made in Japan.

DirtyLarry

I'm one of the people who uploaded a video and I would say while it might not be whisper quiet, especially when the disk spins as heard the first 30 seconds, it is pretty close, and I should note my phone was about 4-6 inches away when I recorded that, so I was very close to the ps4. If someone has a suggestion for a good Android app that measures decibels I will be glad to check that out and report the results back way later on today as I just got to work.

So I would say to those whose ps4 is very loud, call Sony. Mine is a launch model and as you can watch seems to be okay and is not very loud at all. If is not okay and is loud, hell take advantage of that year warranty while you still can. Sure it sucks to be without a console those couple of weeks it would take to replace it, but I am thinking loud now could perhaps lead to other issues down the line perhaps. Or it could just be yours is just loud. Hard to say but if it does worry or bother you, see if you can fix it. If you do get a replacement and it is the same deal, then I am thinking that perhaps points to other factors. Shelf it is on is vibrating, etc.

Good luck.

Mogwai

I'm one of the people who uploaded a video and I would say while it might not be whisper quiet, especially when the disk spins as heard the first 30 seconds, it is pretty close, and I should note my phone was about 4-6 inches away when I recorded that, so I was very close to the ps4. If someone has a suggestion for a good Android app that measures decibels I will be glad to check that out and report the results back way later on today as I just got to work.

So I would say to those whose ps4 is very loud, call Sony. Mine is a launch model and as you can watch seems to be okay and is not very loud at all. If is not okay and is loud, hell take advantage of that year warranty while you still can. Sure it sucks to be without a console those couple of weeks it would take to replace it, but I am thinking loud now could perhaps lead to other issues down the line perhaps. Or it could just be yours is just loud. Hard to say but if it does worry or bother you, see if you can fix it. If you do get a replacement and it is the same deal, then I am thinking that perhaps points to other factors. Shelf it is on is vibrating, etc.

Good luck.
Now, I haven't seen that video you uploaded. What games did you test?

cchum

I think it's the hdd. It doesn't make much sense, unless something is faulty with the HGST drive.

I swapped out the stock one for a hybrid 7200 rpm from seagate. I used to have the "whine", but it is now noticeably more quiet while playing killzone. This game used to make the fan go crazy, but I can now barely hear it.

Edit: Also less of the "three beeps".

DagsJT

My PS4 sits on my desk and gets very loud with some games, TLOU coming to memory. Launch day console and it's always been loud when the more intensive graphics are being pushed, I guess.

If I did call Sony, would I need to send it back with the stock HDD? I'm currently using it for my Wii U as I've upgraded my PS4 to an SSHD.

Vestax

Banned
My third PS4, and it's identical to the other two...

Starting to believe that the whisper quiet ones are the big exception to the rule...

I have one and it's pretty quiet. It was noisy, when I had my UVerse receiver above it, and it made the area hot. So, the PS4 was trying to stay cool.

I removed the receiver and placed the PS4 on top of a spare laptop cooler pad (I keep the cooler off), and now it's whisper quiet. None of my friends have loud PS4s either.

BumRush

While it's disappointing that mine is so loud (during TLoU:R) it caused me to use headphones for the first time on my ps4 and HOLY SHIT they made an already amazing game that much more tense and satisfying. I'm now a headphone convert.

dancmc

My launch PS4 started out loud when playing Killzone and Knack off of discs but has been pretty quiet since then when playing mostly digital games. Bloodborne will be my next big retail disc game, so I am assuming I will have some of that louder fan noise return when I sink some time into that game

Top Bottom