• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 is noisy, yours?

yamo

If you need to crank your sound system to drown out the fan noise, you need to see about getting your system serviced. It should not be that loud...

Damn, I really don't want to go through all the hassle with sending it back to the retailer. Is the warranty from Sony 1 year on hardware issues?

Caffeine

my gaming pc is quieter under load than my ps4. but ye every so often it revs up like a jet engine when gaming like every 5 mins, but then it quiets down.

plainr_

Nope. Two PS4's here and it's really quiet.

The PS3 I got from a friend sounds like a jet engine. It's not louder than my electric fan but it is ten times more annoying.

theDeeDubs

All digital here. I haven't actually tried a disc on either. Mine gets fairly loud. I got 2 for my nephews as well for Christmas last year and I had them out to keep them updated until Santa delivered them. They were equally as loud. One had issues with streaming/audio. I vacuum my electronics at least every other week. XB1<<<<PS3S.2<PS3S.1<<<PS4<<360S installed<<<PS3 fat<<<360S not installed. There's not enough space to add how loud my 360 Elite was. I assumed they were joking about how quiet the XB1 was because I kept hearing how quiet the later 360s were and I always found them loud as hell until they added the disc install option.

MaDKaT

Honestly, I hardly ever hear mine. Movie playback is quiet and I haven't noticed much during normal play. Only time I've really heard it was during initial loading(from disc) while I start the game after the early preload. The disc drive can be quite surprisingly load. After it finishes the system goes quiet and is barely a whisper. My system sits on an open glass shelf in a room about 76 degrees and I sit about 2 meters away. Both my PS3's(fat and medium slim) are more audible and all 3 are a good deal quieter than my X360. Won't lie, my surface pro seems loader but it is generally closer to my face.

Daaruz

Banned
Mine is as quiet as a drunk mouse. Only time I hear it is when it loads up a game from disc but even then its hardly loud.

murgo

Mine does get pretty loud after playing for about half an hour. Noticed it again during some quit scenes in TLOU.
IMO it has enough space to breathe.. I hope?!

2014-07-31%2015.41.42.jpg

tahsutify

I've never heard any noise and I am sitting half a meter away from it. Though admittedly &#305; haven't played any games like Battlefield 4 or Second Son.

My PS4 sits right next to me on a desk, I play on my monitor. I can't hear anything usually. The only exception was Ground Zeroes while in the menu would spin the disk and run the fans at full speed but I believe that was a bug.

I have a buddy who is always saying his PS4 sounds like a jet.

boneso

Everyone's hearing is different, what is loud for one person might be quiet for another.

For those that say their PS4 is "silent", well you either need to get your hearing checked out or go and see a doctor about that growing nose!

My PS4 makes a noise, they all do, the level will only vary slightly between consoles as they all have the same internals, same processor, same GPU same cooling system.

On the plus side the noise is nothing compared to my PC, but thats another thread...

Jeels

Not as loud as my ps3 but still loud enough to notice and for it to bother me. The worst part is its not even a year old and I keep it in a completely open space with no electronics nearby. The Wii u on the other hand can be running on the carpet and still not a peep.

Ethelwulf

Everyone's hearing is different, what is loud for one person might be quiet for another.

For those that say their PS4 is "silent", well you either need to get your hearing checked out or go and see a doctor about that growing nose!

My PS4 makes a noise, they all do, the level will only vary slightly between consoles as they all have the same internals, same processor, same GPU same cooling system.

On the plus side the noise is nothing compared to my PC, but thats another thread...

Are you saying that everything is relative to the observer?

LiK

Probably just from vibration in the left front corner cuz it's not leveled in horizontal position due to how they did the pads in the bottom. Either adjust the console placement or stick something like a few cards or a coin to level it. Annoying sound will be gone.

If that doesn't fix it then it's something internal.

M_sk

Neo Member
I had the same problem, my PS4 would slowly start getting louder like a jet engine. When I touched it I could definitely feel that it was a lot warmer than normal. It was happening on quite a few games such as Killzone SF and BF4. Luckily I got in touch with Sony and they replaced it and the new one has been working fine since I've had it.

Only when I play games with unlocked framerates/60fps, they cause the fans to kick up. Tomb Raider, BF4, Killzone and TLOUR being the main culprits, and Infamous SS to a lesser extent. It's not loud enough to make me think something is wrong, though, It sounds perfectly normal considering the hardware and how compact the design is.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mine does get pretty loud after playing for about half an hour. Noticed it again during some quit scenes in TLOU.
IMO it has enough space to breathe.. I hope?!

i made 2 holes behind my cabinets backplate or whatever you call it for my ps4, it stopped kicking the fans in and i only feel cold air now, your output is directly hitting the wood so i recommend making 2 holes at the height of your back vents.

afaik ps4 sucks in cool air at the side and outputs the heat at the back, yours barely has room at the back to output it :eek:

I noticed the fan gets loud quickly in mine too (it's on a shelf, not enclosed) but if I point a room fan at it on low so I don't hear it, the fans on my PS4 don't go crazy loud any more.

Easy fix for me.

Mine gets pretty damn loud sometimes, too. Like, it sounds like a mini vaccuum. Clean vents, horizontal, open air, raised a half inch off the surface, and in an air conditioned room. No idea. Audio/picture would also cut out after a few hours playing the destiny beta. Starting to wonder if I have a lemon.

SerTapTap

I would describe it as "loud but should easily be overpowered by game audio in most situations". About the same as the Wii U, maybe slightly louder when not idle.

Kamina

Golden Boy
After reading a lot of these threads and watching some videos i came to the conclusion that people have a very different understanding of 'noisiness' .
The PS4 is definitely not a loud console but the fan can kick in strongly during heavy load.
I cannot believe anyone who claims their PS4 is not making any noise while in-game. Likewise i do not believe anyone who says their PS4 sounds like a jet, unless it is enclosed, in very hot environment or just damaged. Also the Horizontal state seems to be more quiet than vertical.

My PS4 is very silent when in idle state on menu screen. Starting a game like AC4, Infamous or Killzone SF the fans definitely kick in but are nowhere near the level i would call 'loud'. But as I said, others might see the noise as more noticeable than maybe their 2k gaming PC.

The only console I had which i think was loud was the launch Xbox360. Compared to that all consoles are whispering.

icespide

Banned
my PS4 definitely has gotten the loudest I've ever noticed while playing TLOU, but not loud enough that I'm concerned. The game must be really taxing.

.GqueB.

Banned
Wouldn't know. I never turn it on hueuehehueheeueueue.

But but seriously it's whisper quite for the most part. The only time it got loud was that one time I put in my Pacific Rim disk... I thought it was a disk anyway. It was making this loud grinding sound that scared the shit out of me. Took it out to discover that two disks were stuck together.

Nothing happened to the system but something tells me the effects of that event will show it's face in due time.

JLeack

Banned
Mine sounds like a plane is in my office when I'm playing The Last of Us Remastered.

The problem is the fan size. Even when I turn my SIX PC fans on the highest setting possible they aren't as loud as my PS4.

TMC

Mine is pretty loud after playing a game for 15+ minutes or so. I attribute this to the PS4 being in a relatively tight space though with my TV stand. I don't remember it being this loud with my old TV stand which was much more open.

daveo42

Banned
Photo Mode in TLoUR kicks up the fan a bit but outside of that it continues to remain really quiet and relatively cool. I think most of the noise I ever hear is when the system is loading or reading a disk and that is only momentary.

Melchiah

Mine was somewhat noisy last night when I played TLOU, but it was 25-30°C here. Normally it's not loud at all.

Orayn

Mine stayed relatively quiet while playing the Destiny beta, but the fan tends to kick into high gear for Infamous: Second Son. Admittedly my setup doesn't give it great ventilation, and rolling out the little drawer it sits on allows for a little more space and causes the fan to slow down a bit.

What bothers me a lot more than that is the hard drive; it has a very slight buzz/whine that's really only audible at close distances, which caused me to stop using my PS4 on my desk and put it in my TV stand instead.

DarkJC

Mine is pretty much silent. I sit about 6 feet away and I can't hear it at all over the sound of the game/video, even if I don't have the sound at a very high volume.

AwRy108

After 10 minutes of Don't Starve, my PS4 becomes loud enough for me to adjust the volume of my TV. It's not in a complete enclosure, it's in a shelf with hopefully sufficient space around, The air around is not hot so I could say the surrounding air flow is not shabby, just the air coming out of the vents is hottish.

I'm in pretty much this exact same situation. My PS4 is easily my loudest console (versus PS3 Slim and 360 Slim), and I could see the fan noise being an issue if I didn't have a decent surround sound system. I'm going to consider opening the back of my entertainment center.

MY PS4 is superloud. Almost like a jet engine. However I think it might be due to it being placed on a tv stand. It is on a enclosed place with the only opening being on front (covered on remaining sides). My 360 is also next to it but that does not make much noise.

LiK

Are some of you mistaking the vibration noise from PS4 during disc drive spinning up vs the actual fans? Sometimes the disc drive spinning can cause noise because of the pads under the PS4 aren't well placed.

It was mega loud for me until I adjusted the placement and the noise went away. I don't recall the fans ever getting loud enough during any games to be heard like a "jet engine". It only happened from the disc drive causing the vibrations originally.

I'm on my second PS4 and the latest one is definitely noisier than the first one. It can be quite distracting sometimes. Well, my apartment is definitely warmer now that it's been around +30C outside for a while so hopefully the PS4 gets a bit more silent after the summer is over..

Slowdive

Banned
Mine's quiet most of the time.

Are some of you mistaking the vibration noise from PS4 during disc drive spinning up vs the actual fans? Sometimes the disc drive spinning can cause noise because of the pads under the PS4 aren't well placed.

It was mega loud for me until I adjusted the placement and the noise went away. I don't recall the fans ever getting loud enough during any games to be heard like a "jet engine". It only happened from the disc drive causing the vibrations originally.

This happened today for the first time with The Last of Us, just moved it a little and it was fine.

FoxT

Neo Member
The fan of my PS4 kicks in only two minutes after starting Killzone and is very audible. During cutscenes it spins down again, but I never played the game very far since the noise otherwise is very annoying. All in all a little more spacious design for the PS4 maybe would have been a better decision.

Mine would kick into hairdryer mode after while playing NBA2K14, but is generally quiet during other games. Haven't even tried Last Of Us yet.

quickwhips

I've had mine about 3 months. I'm all digital and it doesn't make a sounds. I haven't used drive and don't plan do since I don't buy BR or DVDs.

My PS4 started whizzing loudly/ louder than usual after I started getting the CE-34878-0 error code on all my games.

If its still under warranty you should consider getting it replaced.

Top Bottom