• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My research into Metroid Prime’s gargantuan cut content.

Soul_Pie

The team that worked on the original Metroid Prime were so damn talented, makes me wonder what they're all up to these days and why they're not being paid millions upon millions.

It blows my mind the amount of detail and thought that went into things that were ultimately cut, just incredible. The way the environments constantly speak of a world and a history beyond the room, the way it's seen through Samus' visor and interactions with those incredible environments, the enemies, the bosses, the sound, the atmospheric music, even the start menu tell you about the universe you've just entered, it's fucking masterful. Definitely one of the greatest games ever made and made even more incredible considering it was Retro's first game and the development woes they went through.

Thanks for the insight, Mama.

Gattsu25

Banned
I gotta say, I love this crap.

Thanks MR for all the research and effort you put into this stuff.

It really is fantastic.

K' Dash

A bump for a new concept piece discovery:

A detailed concept of the cut Sheegoth-style boss from Phendara (the one that was replaced with Thardus in the final game). We have seen this image before, but smaller and with much less detail.

http://i.imgur.com/g43MUAj.jpg[img]

[url=http://www.gregluzniak.com](Source: Greg Luzniak)[/url]

It was planned to be MASSIVE.[/QUOTE]

Fucking amazing Mama Robotnik, perfect excuse to re-read the OP.

Love your threads.

-Horizon-

The team that worked on the original Metroid Prime were so damn talented, makes me wonder what they're all up to these days and why they're not being paid millions upon millions.

It blows my mind the amount of detail and thought that went into things that were ultimately cut, just incredible. The way the environments constantly speak of a world and a history beyond the room, the way it's seen through Samus' visor and interactions with those incredible environments, the enemies, the bosses, the sound, the atmospheric music, even the start menu tell you about the universe you've just entered, it's fucking masterful. Definitely one of the greatest games ever made and made even more incredible considering it was Retro's first game and the development woes they went through.

Thanks for the insight, Mama.
Aren't most of the original retro prime team at armature or something?

Beatrix

I love coming back to this thread and looking at all of Metroid Primes concepts. I hope the NX has a Metroid game that has a similar theme to the prime trilogy.

Big Nikus

Thanks for this thread.
I want to re-play Metroid Prime so much... I could play it in glorious HD on Dolphin right now but I'm waiting for the full reveal of the NX to see if we're likely to enter an era of Nintendo HD remasters.

I'm gonna take a look at the other threads. Amazing work, Mama, thanks for the bump.

-Horizon-

Some even went back to Retro.

Most of the original devs are probably still at Retro, but the creative heads for the Prime series have all but (one?) left.

Whoa really? :eek:

Haha guess there's something about that Retro environment that makes it hard to really leave

Vena

Whoa really? :eek:

Haha guess there's something about that Retro environment that makes it hard to really leave

Well Retro did go through expansions recently, and if you worked there before its probably easier to get vetted to be hired. I suspect Retro may have some of the higher bars of entry in the West given what they represent for Nintendo's brand (and being the only western arm of Nintendo).

jjasso21

Wow, what an awesome thread. That looks like a huge amount of content that was cut. Great work on researching and creating this thread Mama Robotnik!!!

lazygecko

Yes, and it always hurts to look at it and think what could have been.

Sometimes it's genuinely for the better though. I don't think Doom would have been as timeless as it is if it had turned out to be more story-focused as originally envisioned.

Garlador

Awesome research.

Metroid needs to be totally rebooted IMO.

No more FPA and no more american designs please.

What? No. Let's get more art like Andrew Jones's awesome art in this series.

What constitutes "American" designs anyway?

Sometimes it's genuinely for the better though. I don't think Doom would have been as timeless as it is if it had turned out to be more story-focused as originally envisioned.

I don't know...
Rip_and_tear.png

dankir

Amazing, Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. I beat Echoes but never got around to beating Prime 3, I will be doing a run on my Wii U.

Nintendo needs to jump start a new Metroid game with a HD remake of the prime series. That would be dooooooopppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thanks, Mama Robotnik, this thread is just amazing.

I first played Prime on Metroid Trilogy, and by now it's probably one of my most played games ever. I've finished it many times, including 100% runs. Now I have Xenoblade X, Fast Racing Neo and other amazing games to play on my Wii U... so why do I feel this urge to play through Prime once again?

Oh, man, what a great game. Love Echoes and Corruption too.

TedMilk

Best game of all time. I'm kinda worried what I'll do when they stop making Wiimotes as I could never go back to the original controls now and I no longer own a Nintendo console. Fully intend to play the trilogy again though.

Lunar15

Übermatik;192071282 said:
I forgot Android Jones worked on Prime bad in the day... that guy's crazy talented.

Yeah, if they were ever going to make a metroid movie or something, I'd get him as one of the concept artists for sure.

I love the original metroid games, but his art defined metroid for me in a really crazy way.

Great thread, Mama. Somehow I managed to miss this one this whole time.

I also think the time's right for a third person 3D console Metroid. Back in 2002 in the pre Resident Evil 4 over-the-shoulder and L1-to-aim-R1-to-shoot days we weren't ready for it yet but now I'm confident Retro can pull off a third person Metroid title.

Yeah, if they were ever going to make a metroid movie or something, I'd get him as one of the concept artists for sure.

I love the original metroid games, but his art defined metroid for me in a really crazy way.

Big follower of his, and he's gone on to do some amazing work. Would love to see him involved in future projects.

v1oz

Seeing that people are talking about where all the ex Retro staff went to. The lead programmer on the Metroid Prime series Mark Haigh-Hutchinson is now late. He also worked on Zombies ate my neighbors, Dark Forces, Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Racer and Rogue Squadron. That's several classic games! He also wrote a very highly regarded book on Game Development.

Really really wish they would be put on another Metroid project. I would love to see some of this art make it into future Metroid games. Like the Chozo Battle armor guy looks so neato!

adg1034

Seeing that people are talking about where all the ex Retro staff went to. The lead programmer on the Metroid Prime series Mark Haigh-Hutchinson is now late. He also worked on Zombies ate my neighbors, Dark Forces, Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Racer and Rogue Squadron. That's several classic games! He also wrote a very highly regarded book on Game Development.

I thought you had a typo there until I looked him up. He died almost 9 years ago. :(

v1oz

Uncovered any cancelled MP4 prototypes yet? I'd imagine Retro studios probably would have had some ideas kicking around before the project got sent off to another studio.

Uncovered any cancelled MP4 prototypes yet? I'd imagine Retro studios probably would have had some ideas kicking around before the project got sent off to another studio.

You're acting like Retro is the same studio it used to be. Quite a number of the talent responsible for shaping Prime has moved on, and the studio probably did genuinely jump at the chance to make Tropical Freeze rather than Prime 4 in part because of that. I don't imagine they'd have much of anything other than errant ideas lying around.

Thanks, Mama Robotnik, this thread is just amazing...
Amazing post, brilliant research and info!
...Let's get more art like Andrew Jones's awesome art in this series...
Übermatik;192071282 said:
I forgot Android Jones worked on Prime bad in the day... that guy's crazy talented.
Yeah, if they were ever going to make a metroid movie or something, I'd get him as one of the concept artists for sure. I love the original metroid games, but his art defined metroid for me in a really crazy way.
Übermatik;192076884 said:
Big follower of his, and he's gone on to do some amazing work. Would love to see him involved in future projects.
Just chiming in to agree with posts above, really cool stuff in this thread (as well as all of the other research threads from Mama Robotnik).
Uncovered any cancelled MP4 prototypes yet? I'd imagine Retro studios probably would have had some ideas kicking around...
This would definitely be interesting to know. Certainly conceivable that some of Retro's old material could be used/re-used/re-purposed for MP4.
...Quite a number of the talent responsible for shaping Prime has moved on...
Someone at reddit took a look, recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/6a8w0o/retro_studios_still_has_plenty_of_staff_from_the/

Top Bottom