• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mythical Pokemon Diancie available through Nintendo Network this weekend (NA/EU)

prateeko

Not for this one.

But for in store events, they give you a code to redeem your Pokemon.

They switched to codes this generation.

Before then, you could just open your DS within the Gamestop wifi range and download the Pokemon.

The issue with that is that people didn't come in the Gamestop and buy anything. GS wanted better incentives for customers to buy stuff.

That sucks. It was already shameful enough sitting in the parking lot with your 3/DS open catching that last little bit of signal to get a legendary. Now you want me to WALK in and get a code and then REDEEM that code? That's almost note free!

Not for this one.

But for in store events, they give you a code to redeem your Pokemon.

They switched to codes this generation.

Before then, you could just open your DS within the Gamestop wifi range and download the Pokemon.

The issue with that is that people didn't come in the Gamestop and buy anything. GS wanted better incentives for customers to buy stuff.

What!?

I used to just sit in the parking lot and not have to even bother going inside. It took like 2 minutes.

Ugh, why do they make everything so difficult.

entremet

What!?

I used to just sit in the parking lot and not have to even bother going inside. It took like 2 minutes.

Ugh, why do they make everything so difficult.

Because GS figured that was the case lol. They're Nintendo's partner with these events.

The events are to benefit GS as well.

You don't have to buy anything, but you do you have to ask GS employee for a code.

NotLiquid

Receiving a Diancie is probably the most awkward I've felt getting a Pokémon.

The moment you get it these assholes literally show up to ask you to give it to them, and then if you deny them one of the guys is like "okay never mind". I don't know what they were thinking adding that there, shit was hamfisted the way it seems like they're asking you to get rid of it the moment you got it.

It's like this Kung Pow scene except it isn't a joke.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So if I was to get ORAS, could I get this thing right away or would I have to play a bit first?

Kinsei

Banned
This is cool I already got a Diancie from EBGames, but you can never have enough event legendaries!

So if I was to get ORAS, could I get this thing right away or would I have to play a bit first?

IIRC you need to get the Pokedex first.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Receiving a Diancie is probably the most awkward I've felt getting a Pokémon.

The moment you get it these assholes literally show up to ask you to give it to them, and then if you deny them one of the guys is like "okay never mind". I don't know what they were thinking adding that there, shit was hamfisted the way it seems like they're asking you to get rid of it the moment you got it.

It's like this Kung Pow scene except it isn't a joke.

Yeah Diancie is one of the most disappointing event Pokémon I have ever received. She has no real back story other than ooooh she's a mutated Carbink and she's currently the only gen 6 Pokémon to go mega.

Game Freak put zero effort into Diancie and she should have been a Carbink evolution. In fact I suspect that she might have been and got bumped to being an event Pokémon to save time in creating a new one.

Hoopa and Volcanion are the better event Pokémon and have the better lore and form.

SoulUnison

Banned
All events should be internet-based like this.

I am a grown man and I'm not driving a town over to a GameStop so I can stand there with my 3DS and download a Pokemon.

Now that Pokemon is released globally on the same day, or at least close releases for each region, why does Japan still get 10x the events everyone else gets? It also seems like NA gets the least! I go to the Serebii website to check the events for X/Y and ORAS, and Japan has a ton of events for regular Pokemon and legendaries. North America seems to get the launch event and then something like Gengar. So unfair, especially when we have the internet that is able to handle all events.

entremet

All events should be internet-based like this.

I am a grown man and I'm not driving a town over to a GameStop so I can stand there with my 3DS and download a Pokemon.

Well not anymore. You need to ask a GS employee for a code.

It's worse!

Before you can just camp outside and take out your DS and download away.

This is a wifi event so need for that.

Now that Pokemon is released globally on the same day, or at least close releases for each region, why does Japan still get 10x the events everyone else gets? It also seems like NA gets the least! I go to the Serebii website to check the events for X/Y and ORAS, and Japan has a ton of events for regular Pokemon and legendaries. North America seems to get the launch event and then something like Gengar. So unfair, especially when we have the internet that is able to handle all events.

Home country advantage.

They also have still have real Pokemon Centers over there, so many of the events are tied to store promotions.

fernoca

Weird. I thought it started on July 23rd since I got mine like 3 hours ago.

No complaints. Can't use any event Pokémon since my trainer is a noob. Cool to have it anyway.

JoeM86

Because event distributions have got nothing to do with whether or not the game came out on the same day. They are unconnected.

Japan gets more event distributions because they have more places willing to hold it. Pokémon Centers with events, special promotional places like the Pokémon Lab and Pikachu Outbreakchu with their distributions and so forth. America/Europe doesn't have that because it seems places are less willing to hold events and Pokémon isn't as large as it is over there.

They want their events to have context. They very rarely give Pokémon out for the sake of giving them out, but rather to tie in with something. The distribution is seldom the main thing, it's a bonus for going to something else and the Pokémon given is tied in with that i.e. Teeter Dance Pikachu because of the dance focused Pikachu Outbreakchu, Shiny Gyarados because Red Gyarados is the mascot of the new Pokémon Center, Jirachi because of the Tanabata Festival etc. and these meanings would be lost and they don't want that. Event distributions for the sake of event distributions is not part of their vision. Besides, we get the vast majority of all important ones.

Plus, what people often seem to miss is that it isn't just "Japan getting the events", it's quite often that it's just one building in all of Japan hosting it. That locks many out of getting it. It's not cheap to travel across Japan

When did this new designation of Mythical Pokemon become a thing? What the difference between Legendaries and Mythicals?

Happened quite a while ago. Mythicals are essentially the official name for Event-Only Pokémon so Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys (even though it's wild in ORAS), Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie & Hoopa

Madao

man, i wish we got all events like this.
no one would have thought last gen that this gen we'd have less wi-fi events than last gen.

i got a code for the first Diancie round but overall it's a waste of time since i don't go to stores normally (i order all my games online)

liezryou

Ok so my alpha sapphire has been unopened since i bought it on release XD. Time to open it i guess. I think i got the original diancie in X/Y, so this will be my second. Do i have to be fully updated on 3ds software to get this internet diancie?

Also sorta offtopic, i kinda totally missed the dragonite thing at gamestop. If anyone has an extra they would be willing to share, PM me please.

Shizuka

Just got mine. I'm particularly sad that we won't be getting a mainline Pokemon game this year, I could really use one.

This is how they should have distributed it to begin with instead of those stupid retail exclusive limited supply code cards

To be honest, I'm starting to like the codes. Gamestop was notorious in the DPP/HGSS/BW days for not even turning on the distribution DS. That's not to count out stores not getting the cart, some stores wanting you to buy something in order to get it, and all around just a bunch of fuckery. The cards are nice because its very clear you dont have to buy anything (although they want you to) and its nice to have a little "keepsake" of the event. I used to clip out the ads in TRU's sunday ad for the events back when they had them.

I mean, It'd be a ton easier to just have the wifi distros but then there's no real corporate gain for somewhere like Gamestop where they're hoping you'd go in and buy something too.

I really wish they'd bring over the McDonalds Pikachu (or some other distro) when they have the Pokemon toys at McDonalds every year. Or even a code card in the toy package for a pokemon. Same with 7-11...could you imagine getting a slurpee and a code for a Pokemon on it? That'd be so neat, and it'd allow them to bring those cool as heck prebooking mons over.

What do I give a shit about corporate gain or a piece of paper to remember going to a store

I just want the goddamn pokemon instead of going to a store and finding out some asshole took all of the cards or that Nintendo only sent like 5 cards total

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Does it come holding the mega stone or do you need to do something extra to get it?

It doesn't.

Save once you get it, get out of the Pokemon Center, go back in, and then you'll initiate a conversation with 2 blokes to get the stone.

JoeM86

What do I give a shit about corporate gain or a piece of paper to remember going to a store

I just want the goddamn pokemon instead of going to a store and finding out some asshole took all of the cards or that Nintendo only sent like 5 cards total

I do agree that they need to sort that. The way GAME does it here in the UK is that they print the code out on their till. That should be how it's done in Gamestop.

Top Bottom