• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 Static Recompilation, turning N64 Roms into Native PC Ports

Puscifer

Pretty damn amazing!

-Even Superman N64 has a port
-Roms are converted into C and recreates assets, so technically projects should be easily shareable without Nintendo getting in the way (They will)
-Games with custom microcode will require specific patches
-Ray tracing, upscaling, ultrawide resolution support and high frame-rates are there
-Completely accurate with HFR, explained in the video but you could play a game at 120 fps with the logic still operating at the original framerate
-RT Plugin coming to other emulators

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So basically it sorta works like an emulator but instead of reading the game's code and emulating it within the constructs of an N64 (with enhancements) it just straight up makes it into a regular windows program? Or am I missing something here?

This approach seems awesome, but limited- you can't port to other platforms besides Windows and Linux. A cool alternative to a full decomp though

Katatonic

breaking bad jeans GIF

Puscifer

So basically it sorta works like an emulator but instead of reading the game's code and emulating it within the constructs of an N64 (with enhancements) it just straight up makes it into a regular windows program? Or am I missing something here?

Yeah pretty much, you have the right idea here

00_Zer0

Pretty damn amazing!

-Even Superman N64 has a port
-Roms converts code into C and recreates assets, so technically projects should be easily shareable without Nintendo getting in the way (They will)
-Games with custom microcode will require specific patches
-Ray tracing, upscaling, ultrawide resolution support and high frame-rates are there
-Complete accurate, with HFR, explained in the video but you could play a game at 120 fps with the logic still operating at the original framerate
-RT Plugin coming to other emulators

Literally just watched this before seeing this post on NeoGaf. Thanks OP. Nerrel makes great content. I want to see the "RTX Remix" style treatment on many N64 games. Imagine Beetle Adventure Racing with updated graphics and framerate. Or how about Castlevania Legacy of Darkness with a remix treatment. With this technology it is all possible.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I've only one question... why the fuck can't they shut up about it all before the whole library is done? Time and time again someone trying to do something cool and making the same exact mistakes others did before and learn nothing. It is clear as day that N will never let them finish anything.
This is something Nintendo can't touch, they've essentially recreated the games with different code bases and assets. The creators intent is to have compiler working at such a level that it can just be unleashed to everyone to do what they want.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This is something Nintendo can't touch, they've essentially recreated the games with different code bases and assets. The creators intent is to have compiler working at such a level that it can just be unleashed to everyone to do what they want.
They'll find the way, man, I'm sure of it.

AM2R was completely original work from the ground up (just like 3DS remake was), completely free with amazing and original soundtrack, yet they shut it down regardless.

Puscifer

AM2R was completely original work from the ground up (just like 3DS remake was), completely free with amazing and original soundtrack, yet they shut it down regardless.
Well that was just badly timed, they had their own remake coming a few months after.

Yeah, not true. Even assuming that using different code and assets could get around copyright, which I very much doubt, that doesn't get around trademarks. Nintendo will shut this down and every court of law will side with them, clear as day.

Last edited:

Yup, like this. The names Metroid, Samus Aran, Mother Brain, etc. are trademarks of Nintendo and legally Nintendo has the right to control how, where, and when those trademarks are used.

Mahavastu

This approach seems awesome, but limited- you can't port to other platforms besides Windows and Linux. A cool alternative to a full decomp though
They decompile it into C code, so it should be quite portable to other processors then X86.
In the video they say it is using vulkan on Linux, so it seems to be ported to different plattforms already. If you support different APIs like DirectX and Vulkan, supporting Metal or whatever else API should not be impossible.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They decompile it into C code, so it should be quite portable to other processors then X86.
In the video they say it is using vulkan on Linux, so it seems to be ported to different plattforms already. If you support DirectX and Vulkan already, supporting Metal should not be impossible.
Ah, maybe I misunderstood then. I just hope this technology is capable of being ported to Switch and the sequel.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, not true. Even assuming that using different code and assets could get around copyright, which I very much doubt, that doesn't get around trademarks. Nintendo will shut this down and every court of law will side with them, clear as day.
so how come the Mario 64 and OOT decompilations are still up? if it's such a clear cut case it would've been done years ago.

Miles708

When I see things like this it makes me wonder why people get so upset about digital games and rights. 25 years later if you reallllly want to play something you purchased, you likely can, and in a greatly enhanced form too.

When people complain about digital they usually have DRM and walled gardens in mind.
Which, to be fair, is an extremely valid point to argue about.

pepodmc_

people should not get confused.
Yuzu case was because the emu devs got cocky and made things they shouldnt.
Thats was the problem. Look how ryujinx is still alive...
Emulation is still legal, decompilation/recompilations are legal too.

Modders will always only upload the reversed enginered code of the program, any asset of the game comes from the original rom, not in the download of the recompilation itself

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Not to be pedantic or anything but AM2R was not completely original work, it was a remake of an existing, copyrighted game with existing, copyrighted IP and artwork. Even if it was all recreated from the ground up, and even if it was much better than Nintendo’s official remake, there’s zero argument that they were using IP that didn’t belong to them and Nintendo had a legal obligation to halt it to protect their trademark.

Also it was getting updates after Nintendo “shut it down” and everyone should go play AM2R it’s awesome

so how come the Mario 64 and OOT decompilations are still up? if it's such a clear cut case it would've been done years ago.
Because it has been kept quiet until now. Once people start advertising this shit loud and clear on public forums, Nintendo will take notice and will shut it down.

pepodmc_

Because it has been kept quiet until now. Once people start advertising this shit loud and clear on public forums, Nintendo will take notice and will shut it down.
No.
I would say that this program seems even more safe than an emulator.
Because they are not even emulating the console, and even then, that is legal too.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep, it was obvious to anyone even at the time of release how the system was lacking in texture resolution & polycounts. PS1 had a leg up in that regard, even with the wobbly textures.
PS1 had lower polycounts and the textures weren't filtered for most games, plus wobbly textures and worse draw distance.

Not to mention that N64 is the emulation scene that actually has custom textures so that texture problem could easily be negated.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
PS1 had lower polycounts and the textures weren't filtered for most games, plus wobbly textures and worse draw distance.

Not to mention that N64 is the emulation scene that actually has custom textures so that texture problem could easily be negated.
Pretty sure in terms of poly counts the PSX was the faster of the two. Lack of z buffer and texture filtering obviously introduced their own issues, but it could draw polygons fast

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When people complain about digital they usually have DRM and walled gardens in mind.
Which, to be fair, is an extremely valid point to argue about.

No they ussually complain about thier rights to play the game in perpetuity, because they "own it", and then a server gets shut off or they can't download it any more, or someone might steal thier password or have thier access revoked for nothing.

DRM and walled gardens are just annoyances.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That framerate looks unreal if you remember the originals, lol.
I mean - to be fair framerate doesn't actually change - it's not really different from frame-gen, just done one layer before pixels, so visually better.
I do find it fascinating what amounts to basically doing the same thing emulators do in machine translation, and then code-gen what would normally be runtime translation layer - somehow achieves competitive compatibility(according to the video at least) even though the process is ostensibly more complex.

As a finance guy I Would love to see Nintendo's internal projections on why it's better to keep their I.P's walled off rather than to release it like this
I think for 3rd party stuff it's pretty clear the licensing legal minefield makes such a thing stillborn.
Let's not forget Sony offered this type of translation layer for PSP, PS2 and PS1 games (granted they only did hooks for texture/asset enhancements and not completely open ended pipeline) and all we got from it was one Ace Combat, and maybe one or two Square games (that I know of).
I mean aside for the 1st party releases - but why THOSE were thin on the ground - well it's Sony I guess...

But indeed - given Nintendo's catalogue is far more 1st party centric, even just allowing that would seem to be an easy win - to your point. Who knows though - maybe they fear competing with modern releases...

Last edited:

Miles708

No they ussually complain about thier rights to play the game in perpetuity, because they "own it", and then a server gets shut off or they can't download it any more, or someone might steal thier password or have thier access revoked for nothing.

DRM and walled gardens are just annoyances.
Drm and walled gardens are exactly the things preventing people from playing in perpetuity.

The solution is either physical (offline) or piracy, and to be honest either is fine by me.

Top Bottom