• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco founder Masaya Nakamura dies at 91

HeelPower

He had a long and fulfilling life.

Bamco is pretty amazing.I believe they've always been rock solid and rarely faltered.

A pillar of the industry.

"Galaxians" was the second video game I ever saw, and "Galaga" defined the summer of 1983 for me.

Thanks for everything, R.I.P....

Without him we would have never experienced:

Galaxian
Pacman
Galaga
Dig Dug
Pole Position
Xevious

What a legend. Thank you so, so much my friend.

When I was a kid, I would watch the start screen gameplay on a galaga arcade cabinet at the local laundromat and fiddle around on the joystick and buttons, pretending to play, because my mom would never give me any quarters. Thanks for the childhood struggle memories nakamura san

images

RIP and I like this post.

RIP Nakamura San, thanks for all those great gaming memories.

The arcade rivalry with Sega created a competition that benefited all gamers.

The work they put in on the original playstation put the system on the map right out of the gate. Great conversion of Ridge Racer was completed in only 6 months for example.

The catalogue of games they made for the PC Engine was stunning and in many cases defined the system.

My persona faves: Sky Kid, Raly X, Rolling Thunder 2, Galaga 88, Star Blade, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Mr Driller and Pac Man Championship Edition.

Neff

Namco's one of the greatest pioneers and innovators in the games industry for sure, and a lot of that is down to this guy. I don't think it's acknowledged enough just how important Namco is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is the dude that publicly called out Nintendo on trying to create a monopoly back in the NES era, and he didn't get iced by Yamauchi's hit squad. I'd say he had balls. Also Namco is great. RIP.

Eh, Nintendo did similar with Square when they left. "Oh you're leaving us? Don't bother to return" was the sentiment according to the developers that talked to Polygon when they did an oral history about it.

emb

RIP. Always sad to see the early fathers of the industry going out.

91 is a good run though! Glad he had a long life.

Neoxon

It's a shame to see one of the fathers of the gaming industry go, but at least he had a long life. May he rest in peace.

duckroll

He's a legend. A true titan of industry. Should be remembered alongside Yamauchi. Powerful businessmen with a strong vision that created the Japanese game industry as we know today.

Top Bottom