• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoto Oshima (Sonic, Nights) designs [ugly] monsters for new Terra Battle daily quest

This is so strange.

I adore the artwork in the original Sonic Adventure, I always felt as time passed Uekawa's style lost that spunk so to speak, and I can't help but notice that out of sheer coincidence, this artwork not only looks spot on, but retains that signature curve from SA1 as well. And that's just the artwork style, I haven't even gone into how modern-Sonic-esc the actual designs are!

OBXkjSP.png

But Uekawa was always credited with the redesigns and the artwork in SA1.

Could Oshima have done them and forfeited the credit upon his departure? Could Uekawa be secretly doing these? Wow, I'm puzzled, but this is a fun thought nonetheless! XD

Edit: And that monkey?

9OAFw4E.png

Now that's also bizarre.

I guess those two just have the EXACT same design philosophies and have no trouble making identical art, so it's like 99% just a coincidence.

Edit: Are the images showing? They were and now they're not. I uploaded them to minus which never gave me trouble before. Weird. (edit: went with imgur instead)

Foffy

Banned
It's not a card game. It's a strategy RPG.

I didn't even know it had a story outside of The Last Story collaboration. That's the big thing for me.

Was the collaboration just a sequel to the main game, or is the actual campaign of Terra Battle set in the same fictional universe?

Kamion

That looks like Sonic Fanart from Deviant Art or something and really doesn't fit in with Terra Battle.

Which is too bad because I thoroughly enjoyed TB's design.

duckroll

I didn't even know it had a story outside of The Last Story collaboration. That's the big thing for me.

Was the collaboration just a sequel to the main game, or is the actual campaign of Terra Battle set in the same fictional universe?

The first story campaign in Terra Battle has 30 chapters. Each chapter (other than chapter 20, for story reasons) consists of 10 parts. Each part is a series of battles with novel style story text before the battles begin. Some battles have bosses. The bulk of the story for each chapter usually takes place at the start and end of the chapters. The story progresses in a pretty linear way, like most SRPGs. There is a final boss at the end of chapter 30, and an ending. The story now continues in chapter 31, as the second story campaign. Think of it as an expansion or sequel.

The TLS collaboration event is a stand alone event you enter through the Arena in the menu, similar to the Odin/Leviathan/Bahamut events, and the Daily Quests. They're sort of non-continuity spin off stuff. In the TLS event, there are a series of 10 battles, but there's a ton of story text between each battle, and four possible endings depending on whether you successfully trigger the condition flags in some of the battles. It is assumed that your party in the event are just a bunch of wandering mercenaries that got caught up in Zael and Calista's story post-TLS. But... there are strong hints in the way the story plays out that certain elements in TLS could be connected to Terra Battle's worldview. It's left kinda vague and to the player's imagination, like the connections between FFX and FFVII.

Pejo

Wow that doesn't clash with the aesthetic at all. I level up so slow in Terra battle, there's no way i'll get to whatever level I need to fight these things anyways.

why does mistwalker keep poisoning their amazing artwork for terra battle with guest artists?

also:

image.php

This is the question I ask myself every time they reveal guest artist work. I don't there has been one yet that has made better art than the original artists for the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
He did these designs for Mistwalker's Away Shuffle Dungeon:

zGBWMGW.jpg

He truly inspires us all. :)

Man, this jumps from "incredibly generic" to "intentionally humorous (not really) gag characters" and back in a single montage. I'm not even sure what to think.

This is the question I ask myself every time they reveal guest artist work. I don't there has been one yet that has made better art than the original artists for the game.

http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Jaguna

rofl

On the other hand the guest composers have been ace. Even if Kenji Ito's track isn't up to the production standards of the others, the composition is triple ace.

Lijik

Those of you familiar with Oshima's past relationship with Mistwalker and Sakaguchi will also remember that he designed the characters for Away Shuffle Dungeon, and they looked pretty goofy. Well, it seems he has only gotten worse as time passed!
Hey now man, those designs were alright. I bet based just on this sentence, the terra battle designs will be pretty oka-

giphy.gif

Ivan 3414

Looks like one of those 'original design, do not steal' fanart

Let's be honest. Any new Sonic character not named Sonic is going to end up with that label anyway.

The design isn't bad; it simply is just jarring in the game it belongs to.

TimmiT

This is so strange.

I adore the artwork in the original Sonic Adventure, I always felt as time passed Uekawa's style lost that spunk so to speak, and I can't help but notice that out of sheer coincidence, this artwork not only looks spot on, but retains that signature curve from SA1 as well. And that's just the artwork style, I haven't even gone into how modern-Sonic-esc the actual designs are!

But Uekawa was always credited with the redesigns and the artwork in SA1.

Could Oshima have done them and forfeited the credit upon his departure? Could Uekawa be secretly doing these? Wow, I'm puzzled, but this is a fun thought nonetheless! XD

Edit: And that monkey?

9OAFw4E.png

Now that's also bizarre.

I guess those two just have the EXACT same design philosophies and have no trouble making identical art, so it's like 99% just a coincidence.

Edit: Are the images showing? They were and now they're not. I uploaded them to minus which never gave me trouble before. Weird. (edit: went with imgur instead)
Oshima being a major influence behind the Sonic Adventure style?

58MNn.jpg

I have no idea what you're talking about.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It was the very first...

Hard to beat Kimihiko Fujisaka though.

In a strange way, I kind of like this. The styles clash in the worst way possible, but almost in an amusing, charming way?

Also, Team Shuffle Dungeon, checking in.

It's not a card game. It's a strategy RPG.
I like to think of it as a Board Game RPG.

YNZhm6O.png

KTO

Wow he made me retroactively realize how big of a mickey mouse rip sonic is. If I were Disney i'd push for litigation.

Time for some history lessons! :D

This is Oshima's old concept artwork for Sonic:

GszM9lW.png

He truly inspires us all. :)

What exactly are you trying to prove by posting early Oshima Sonic art? That early Sonic looked kinda crap? Well... yeah. They're some of the earliest concept drawings.

MSCl4SBl.jpg

Also drawn by Oshima, and yeah, I think his art is pretty inspirational. :)

Top Bottom