• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog changes their tune on Uncharted 3's Season Pass, upcoming DLC costs extra

Cat Party

Well, since this thread started on a technicality, then let's be technical across the board - this DLC we're talking about isn't a "club pack."

In fact, you've been saying there will be no more "club packs," right?

So why does that link still say you get "all future club packs" if there aren't going to be any?

TheExodu5

Banned
How is it that so few developers understand the value in sowing good will among your customer base?

The more worthwhile you make the current season pass seem, the more people will be willing to purchase your future products in response to that good will. Give up small gains now for larger gains in the future.

TripOpt55

Naughty Dog is my favorite developer and I really loved Uncharted 2 multiplayer. I figured I'd be buying every DLC for 3 anyway, so I'd just get the pass even know I didn't know what all I'd be getting. ND hadn't really let me down before (well the patch for UC2 multi I guess, but generally they didn't). I think my disappointment came with the actual content we got. One of the map packs was a single co-op level. Two of the map packs were throwback maps and only one was truly new maps. I was expecting two to be throwback packs, but I figured we'd still be getting 8 new maps. The game as a whole if I am remembering correctly currently has more Uncharted 2 maps than new maps which is kind of disappointing. Throw in the fact that the multiplayer really got away from what I loved about 2 with the move to loadouts and the multiplayer has been a disappointment as well. I'm always dealing with whatever the overpowered weapon of the moment is and am forced to use it usually. Whereas 2 had this great balance between weapons and it more about skill than which weapon you are using. Also kind of lame the trophies are coming so late too, but that is not really a big deal.

I don't know. It has been disappointing from both the content for the season pass and just the balance too. I was just expecting better from ND I guess.

Alex

Just makes the extreme nickel and diming of the shitty UC3 DLC even funnier. Takes a lot of gall to try and go back and ask for more when your content has been bottom rung.

EYEL1NER

Can you name us a season pass that people weren't disappointed with? People are always expecting them to deliver a lot more than they usually do.
Though it seems like everyone else on GAF was disappointed with the game in general, I was not disappointing with the R* Pass for LA Noire. It came with everything and at a discount. IMO the cases are as good as the cases already in the game, so I had no problem with it.

Once I can get a good deal on 4000 MSP, I will be getting Battlefield Premium and do not expect to be disappointed with that.

But yeah, in general I think season passes are disappointing. SR3? Bad. Gears 3? That season pass went on sale! CoD Elite? Don't get me started...
I wish a lot of smaller games that have a ton of DLC have season passes though. Like Warriors Orochi 3. If that had a "Pay 'X' amount, get everything we release" pass, I would have been all over it. It beats just buying every single thing that come out separately. Or the UMvC3 costumes packs. I know there was a bundle at the end, but if I had a way to buy them all at the beginning, I would have been down for it.

How is it that so few developers understand the value in sowing good will among your customer base?

The more worthwhile you make the current season pass seem, the more people will be willing to purchase your future products in response to that good will. Give up small gains now for larger gains in the future.

Very slippery slope here as we are seeing.

Yup! But, apparently they don't plan on doing a season pass again.

UC3 MP was an all around disappointment, and as overlooked as it is, UC2 MP was miles better. It was the start of a great concept but ND never knew where to go, so they caved in and followed the popular mold of MP development.

I dont know what went wrong, but after the UC2 MP health patch, they just lost direction. The UC2 MP DLC offered maps that were way too huge and lost the simplicity of maps from UC2 vanilla. It really baffles me, but at the same time, they fell into the same pit so many other MP devs did this gen.

I know there were some hardcore fans even after all this who trusted ND with the season pass ("omg, look at the savings!") but the offering was really a letdown from what they could have done and most of my hardcore UC friends just stopped playing. So much of what goes into a season pass is good faith and the hype of gamers who expect so much, but UC's community couldn't hold up, and it never could. I think even ND overestimated UC3's legs, but I had a bad feeling from the beginning.

This is why I never buy these passes or believe in the whole "free DLC for premium/all users" bullshit.

Sorry, but in current generation there is no free DLC unless you are Valve or a very rare and exceptional company.

I'm still waiting on free Starhawk DLC.

Gorillaz

Naughty Dog is my favorite developer and I really loved Uncharted 2 multiplayer. I figured I'd be buying every DLC for 3 anyway, so I'd just get the pass even know I didn't know what all I'd be getting. ND hadn't really let me down before (well the patch for UC2 multi I guess, but generally they didn't). I think my disappointment came with the actual content we got. One of the map packs was a single co-op level. Two of the map packs were throwback maps and only one was truly new maps. I was expecting two to be throwback packs, but I figured we'd still be getting 8 new maps. The game as a whole if I am remembering correctly currently has more Uncharted 2 maps than new maps which is kind of disappointing. Throw in the fact that the multiplayer really got away from what I loved about 2 with the move to loadouts and the multiplayer has been a disappointment as well. I'm always dealing with whatever the overpowered weapon of the moment is and am forced to use it usually. Whereas 2 had this great balance between weapons and it more about skill than which weapon you are using. Also kind of lame the trophies are coming so late too, but that is not really a big deal.

I don't know. It has been disappointing from both the content for the season pass and just the balance too. I was just expecting better from ND I guess.

Said it better then I could. Agreed. My biggest thing was just the class setup, I feel it's better to be just a weapon spawn MP.

This is why I never buy these passes or believe in the whole "free DLC for premium/all users" bullshit.

Sorry, but in current generation there is no free DLC unless you are Valve or a very rare and exceptional company.
CD Projekt too. It wasn't anything huge but most paid for DLC isn't anything huge anyway.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
At first I was annoyed when I read this, but then it was cleared up that there was only one contradicting sentence while everything else in multiple places was specifically talking about 14 items of DLC.

I agree that the OP is completely over-blowing this issue.

That doesn't mean that Uncharted 3 had good MP (yet another grindfest) or that season passes are good. I think neither are good and I learned that season passes are bad the first time I bought one.

Alex

It seems the Neogaf witch hunt is still in full force lol. Arne has explained it pretty well to be honest.

I don't think many people truly and legitimately care, because it's all crap content for an already somewhat disappointing game and everyone is over it. It does paint a pretty iffy image for the company though, and doesn't help when you have to have someone run up and drop damage control and argue technicalities over what equates to recycled content and simple stat value trinkets, it all smacks as very petty.

Hopefully anyone who bought into it and feels slighted learns a lesson and gains some insight on dealing with ND and paying upfront for content like this in general.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I understand how it can be misread, or could have been worded better, but I don't see any evil scheming or disingenuous actions here. It makes complete sense that the updated info was referring to the 14 total packs and nothing more.

None of that addresses the fact that people really shouldn't buy season passes without knowing details about what they'll be getting. That's still silly, but that's on the consumer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Then don't buy promises from shitty developers. I thought that Saints Row III Season pass would be a good idea... L Fucking OL. Let them deliver, then buy it.

And lets not even talk about what content was promised, lets talk about the shitty content delivered in the first place.

Takuan

My hope is that season passes are met with so much apprehension that they eventually disappear. I bought one season pass this generation, and I was only willing to do so because it was included as a bonus with the cost of the game, which itself was heavily discounted. The game was Saint's Row 3, and I paid less than $25 for it maybe two months after it had come out, straight from THQ. I was happy to pay that price, and it's one of the most memorable and entertaining experiences of the generation for me, personally - but all of that can be attributed to the core game.

I wish we could see sales numbers for these things. My perception is that developers are sowing seeds of resent among their customer base and that it will eventually hurt their sales. However, I can only assume I'm wrong if developers continue to follow this model.

gdt

UC3 MP is eassssssssssssily my MP of the generation, just to throw that out there. I don't play much MP at all because its hard to get sucked in for me.

More on topic, the wording is unfornate, but every else they were very clear about the 14 packs thing. So we should call them out on it, but not abandon all hope or whatever.

In terms of the content we got itself....eh. eh eh eh eh eh. Need more new stuff. Avatars and skins come onnnnnnn.

BUT, I'm very interested to hear with this new DLC is....UC3 SINGLE PLAYER DLC CONFIRMED. SET IN PANAMA WHEN DRAKE GOT ARRESTED.

I think thats the line anyway, lol.

Edit: I don't think I'll be there for a UC4 season pass. But I get arne just confirmed they won't do a Uncharted 4 season pass, right arne? Uncharted 4 eh?

:p

legend166

Well all right. Maybe I'm being too hard on you guys, although understand some of us had already been disappointed with the FHC overall so this is a kick to the nuts.

You're not being too hard on them. 'Bububu we told you in March!' is such a laughable cop out.

Yes, arne, you told everyone in March after two months of taking people's money on a false premise.

megalowho

More anti-consumer bs in the form of a "season pass." Selling you all the planned DLC up front, until the plans change and you're left out of any new DLC that gets dreamed up at a later point in time. Or maybe said DLC never arrives at all and gets shelved instead, a la Saints Row 3.

Anyone who buys those things at launch sight unseen is a sucker. Save your small discount and make developers earn your extra money after the initial purchase.

Dibbz

So the season pass discount has ended? So the only option for the current DLC packs is to pay £8 per map pack? Jesus Christ. What happened to the UC2 days where map packs cost £2-3?

You're not being too hard on them. 'Bububu we told you in March!' is such a laughable cop out.

Yes, arne, you told everyone in March after two months of taking people's money on a false premise.

Is this true? I was under the impression that they told of the x amount of DLC prior to actually selling the pass.

BHK3

Banned
So the season pass discount has ended? So the only option for the current DLC packs is to pay £8 per map pack? Jesus Christ. What happened to the UC2 days where map packs cost £2-3?

arne said:
I'm pretty certain we won't be doing a season pass program again for our games. We wanted as many people to buy into the DLC maps so our MP wasn't so fragmented and we couldn't offer them for free. But there's probably a better way in the future. If not, and we do another one, at least make it as clear as what COD is able to do - you know exactly what you're getting. We've learned from this.

The way I see is they thought "Hey, everything about our MP is terrible and opposite of what made U2's MP great so lets extend that to our DLC as well!"

I bought both map packs for U2 and I got 4 new maps with a bunch of new/old characters for under $10 I believe. Now I have to pay that same price to play on maps from U2 in U3 :DDDDDDD.

Here is some general advice to all developers, don't offer season passes because they are nothing more than scams.

I don't care about wording or value or how many packs you offer, if you take someone's money without something in return right away you are just scamming people in order to get an interest fee loan for a short period.
It's scummy business practices and needs to end. Be better than GameStop's preordering.

It you want to offer season passes, don't charge people until they have all the promised content.

GopherD

For goodness sake, talk about mountain out of a molehill.

Arne has explained the Dog's position and clearly stated the thought process behind it. The original statements obviously were inaccurate and Arne also mentioned that it all could have been handled better.

Regrettable, yes. Wilfully deceptive? Come on..... It was a simple mistake.

Sometimes, these threads and some of the responses do more to paint GAF in a worse light than the developer's actions they're reporting on.

arne

In fact, you've been saying there will be no more "club packs," right?

So why does that link still say you get "all future club packs" if there aren't going to be any?

Because at the time not all of the planned FHC content packs were released. That's where the unclear wording comes from - mid-stream, more content was added to be part of the FHC program than originally anticipated. The intent was to let you know that all the old content was still covered, and all the new content we just told you about in that post (so the additional 7 "pieces" that were TBD) were still covered under FHC.

So what you're saying is that it may not, in fact, be the best time to join?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying - you can no longer join the FHC. That ran for a limited time after the final, 14th piece of DLC came out so that you could buy all of the previous DLC in one bundle at a discount.

If only they had done that before taking people's money.

The irony of this whole thing is that the ONLY reason we have this unclear wording that is being called out on is that MORE CONTENT was added (14 packs instead of just 7 packs), making the FHC a BETTER value overall (60% off full price, versus 45% off full price). I'm not making a judgement on what you feel the quality/value of each content was, but if we just packed it up and said, you're only getting these 7 pieces of content and then didn't do any more DLC or charged full price for the rest, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. It's only happening because we supported the game longer/more. sigh.

Instead of working on "new" dlc I wish they'd focus on fixing the current one, i'm tired of playing the same 3 maps over and over, unless I make custom matches I rarely get to play any of the dlc maps. And wasn't the item and character's clothes customization included in the U3 beta but taken out for the retail version? I'm sure a few new items will be included but come on, hopefully the B team of ND won't be in charge of the next Uncharted game

Owzers

The whole idea of a season pass never sat right with me to begin with.

*casually checks thread for Season 2 jokes*

Season 2!

I just started playing Uncharted 3 ( single player, haven't touched multi yet and didn't like how they "fixed" Uncharted 2's multi so i don't really care) and i'm having a lot of fun. But season passes are weird.

arne

So the $120 collectors edition of The Last of US will be the game + one year elite sub?

If by subscription you mean you get to watch the webcam stream of my face from my desk as I read GAF every day, then yes, I'll create this "elite sub"

Instead of working on "new" dlc I wish they'd focus on fixing the current one, i'm tired of playing the same 3 maps over and over, unless I make custom matches I rarely get to play any of the dlc maps. And wasn't the item and character's clothe customization included in the U3 beta but taken out for the retail version?

which ones are you stuck on playing? we made some changes to the dlc filter to address this - although I have been reading it didn't work smoothly for everyone (or anyone).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The thing that really hurts is nothing was laid out

EA's Battlefield Premium, at least shows you upfront 5 (4 if you got limited edition) Map Packs, each consisting of 4+ Maps, vehicles, modes, goodies, etc.

Fuck same goes for COD, they fucking showed the timetable and what was being offered

All of this looked half-assed, and now the new DLC looks like a money grab to squeeze a little more out of the consumer

Seriously, fucking 4 new maps in total, avatars/re-used old assets with a brand new paint job doesn't qualify as season pass material

You should really call FHC "Bait & Switch Club"

Also over/under before UC3 FHC stuff becomes PS+ rental bound, and piss the customers off more

Corto

At the end of the day Sony/Naughty Dog will be the ones hurting from this. Season passes are bad enough as it is, including ambiguous/inaccurate description of its content will only result in lost of trust from consumers in your future products.

TommyT

It's only happening because we supported the game longer/more. sigh.

Unfortunately yeah... However I don't think it's because what you're talking about with the mid-stream (that's when the wording happened but not the bigger cause) addition of content. When I asked when the newest DLC content decision took place, you mentioned it was after all the previous information had been relayed as the 14 DLC packs (or items or whatever) was all that there had planned on being at the time of those postings. Basically, if you guys weren't trying to do more for this game and this new DLC wasn't coming out then there'd be no issues.

Seems like you're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here. Sooo... good luck :\

The thing that really hurts is nothing was laid out

EA's Battlefield Premium, at least shows you upfront 5 (4 if you got limited edition) Map Packs, each consisting of 4+ Maps, vehicles, modes, goodies, etc.

Fuck same goes for COD, they fucking showed the timetable and what was being offered

All of this looked half-assed, and now the new DLC looks like a money grab to squeeze a little more out of the consumer

Seriously, fucking 4 new maps in total, avatars/re-used old assets with a brand new paint job doesn't qualify as season pass material

You should really call FHC "Bait & Switch Club"

Also over/under before UC3 FHC stuff becomes PS+ rental bound, and piss the customers off more

But did DICE/EA state that any of those maps for BF3 wouldn't rehashes of maps from previous games? That seems to be the running complaint here. But I agree. Less people would bitch if there was a more detailed layout of what they would get. This blindly buying a season pass just because of promises will pretty much end.

Gorillaz

Also arne what ever happened to that one map from the UC3 beta trailer? The one that had a thunderstorm going on in the background. Did it just get scrapped or turned into something else?

also to the poster comparing this to the cod elite thing...Wasn't Elite planned since 2010? I think they had that planned out way before most people think they did.

arne

At the end of the day Sony/Naughty Dog will be the ones hurting from this. Season passes are bad enough as it is, including ambiguous/inaccurate description of its content will only result in lost of trust from consumers in your future products.

The descriptions were pretty clear, except for that "past and any upcoming" line.

October 18, 2011
The Fortune Hunters’ Club DLC program entitles you to the first four multiplayer map packs and the first three multiplayer skin packs for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception with the first DLC release coming in November.

Join now to save over 45% on 7 multiplayer packs...

November 15, 2011
As a member you’ll be getting a total savings of 45% off the seven multiplayer packs (three character skin packs, four map packs) that will be released for UNCHARTED 3.

January 17, 2012
Initially, the Fortune Hunters’ Club offered a total savings of 45% off the seven multiplayer packs (three character skin packs, four map packs) that will be released for UNCHARTED 3. We’ve kicked this deal up a few notches and are now offering 14 total packs, 7 new packs that we will be revealing as the year progresses! As a FHC member the savings for these 14 packs will be over 60%!

March 8, 2012
For $24.99 you can become a member today and all 14 packs of DLC content will be marked free for you to download.

As a FHC member, you save over 60% on the 14 packs of UNCHARTED 3 DLC.

We went beyond map packs and skin packs and added a brand new mode created from the ground up as part of the FHC, that wasn't planned when the FHC was originally put together.

Reconning the unclear lines across a couple of posts we should have said:

This membership includes all currently available and the just mentioned upcoming DLC packs for UNCHARTED 3...

Top Bottom