• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Navy: 10 sailors missing after destroyer collides with tanker

Zolo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-s-mccain-collides-merchant-vessel/584808001/

The U.S. Navy said 10 sailors were missing and five injured after the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in waters east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca early Monday.

Initial reports indicated that the destroyer sustained damage to her port side aft. The Navy said search and rescue efforts were underway.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was en route to a routine port visit in Singapore, the Navy said in a statement. After the collision, the ship was heading to port under its own power, the Navy said.

The other ship, the Alnic MC, is a 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000. The tanker is about three times the size of the McCain, the Navy Times reported.

The incident represents the second serious collision for a Navy vessel in two months. The USS Fitzgerald collided with a freighter off the coast of Japan on June 17, leaving seven sailors dead.

The USS John S. McCain has played a small role in recent tensions with North Korea, carrying out a "freedom of navigation operation" on Aug. 10, when it sailed to within 12 nautical miles of Mischief Reef, an artificial island built up by China in the South China Sea, the Navy said earlier this month.

The operation came as President Trump seeks China's cooperation in dealing with North Korea's missile and nuclear programs.

The ship is named after John S. McCain Sr., and John S. McCain Jr., Navy admirals who were the grandfather and father, respectively, of Sen. John McCain.

Sen. McCain tweeted that he and his wife were "Keeping America's sailors aboard the USS John S. McCain in our prayers tonight — appreciate the work of search & rescue crews."

President Trump, asked about the incident as he returned to the White House from a two-week working vacation on Sunday, said, "That's too bad."

Blablurn

They crashed against this one

showphoto.aspx

Source: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/636017930

Holy Shit. How did that happen?

You wonder how ships cross the Gulf of Suez without any problems when its width is 19.88 mi. For comparison, the Strait of Malacca is 550 mi of width.

Here is an image of the strait from the sky.
0977973f117a8f2b5e7c96528c69fa56--strait-of-malacca-airplane-window.jpg

I wonder if there is some kind of radar attacking going on? This is what the second time a US Navy ship has been involved in a collision like this this year, isn't it? That isn't normal. Wasn't there an article recently on radar fuckery being used or developed by Russia? I'd be happy to be wrong.

commedieu

Banned
Somebody had to be asleep at the switch. They do have instruments to prevent this.

If that's all it takes for this to happen multiple times.

Americans deserve a refund. God forbid there's a need for these..all the enemy would have to do is keep our sailors up past their bedtimes?

I'll say it again, but something is up.

noquarter

Hope they find the missing sailors, must be hard on the families of those on the ship right now along with everything the crew is going through.
that's you guys' president right there.

eloquent as ever.
Got to check the facts. Can't make a statement without all the facts.

At least he didn't say something like the Navy needs to start winning, like he did in November of 2016.

FUME5

If that's all it takes for this to happen multiple times.

Americans deserve a refund. God forbid there's a need for these..all the enemy would have to do is keep our sailors up past their bedtimes?

I'll say it again, but something is up.

It occurred around 6 AM.

Hopefully they find the missing sailors.

Wolfe

It says they returned to port, did they not notice the missing sailors before then? Or are the missing people assumed to still be on the boat somewhere?

Seems like the best place to search for missing people after a collision at sea would be the place that the collision took place, but maybe I'm too ignorant of the details, the article didn't give a lot of info.

If this has happened twice, I would like a full detailed report of what caused this as well as the crash a few months back. Furthermore, I would like a written and personally summarized debrief of the preventative and corrective actions going forward to mitigate these types of incidents.

Also, for this incompetence, does their budget get cut since this what many in the government would call "fat, big government waste, safety net which is not working", etc? Or does this get a pass because they are part of the military complex?

I would like all of this in the next 2 weeks. Thanks

Pachinko

It says they returned to port, did they not notice the missing sailors before then? Or are the missing people assumed to still be on the boat somewhere?

Seems like the best place to search for missing people after a collision at sea would be the place that the collision took place, but maybe I'm too ignorant of the details, the article didn't give a lot of info.

I think saying "missing" is a soft way of saying they've drowned but they don't have 100% confirmation yet. This is basically how it went a couple months ago too.

Top Bottom