• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

rambis

Banned
Apparently we're calling that "mildly historic" now.

Mildly.

Historic.
Because a 3PM/3PA record in itself hardly makes for a "historically good" season. Especially involving a guy that shoots more 3's than 2's. His numbers will barely have him in 4th or 5th place in MVP voting.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Raptors vs. Bucks.

As if they needed anymore reason to stick the Raps in the 12:30 timeslot.

Hell at this point I feel like as soon as the Raps clinch a playoff spot just immediately put them in that timeslot to save us all the trouble and hope.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/851983597577940993
The Cleveland Cavaliers are releasing center Larry Sanders to create roster space, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Larry Sanders has a contract with Cleveland...
lcxyE0D.gif

neptunes

Raptors vs. Bucks.

As if they needed anymore reason to stick the Raps in the 12:30 timeslot.

Hell at this point I feel like as soon as the Raps clinch a playoff spot just immediately put them in that timeslot to save us all the trouble and hope.

There are 3 cities that have NBA and NHL teams in the playoffs. I don't think Toronto will get that dreaded 12:30 start. When does the Leafs game start?

plus

Adrian Wojnarowski said:
Knicks center Joakim Noah needs surgery for a torn left rotator cuff, league sources tell @TheVertical. Four to six months of rehab coming.

lol

in 1 year:
hamstring injury
arthroscopic knee surgery
tested positive for banned substance
torn rotator cuff

random25

With the Hawks win, I expect them to rest guys vs. the Pacers. Increases the chance of getting into the playoffs without needing to worry about tiebreakers. On the flip side, it seems we're going to face the Cavs in the first round due to them not caring. Hopefully either the Heat or The Bulls finish off their games much earlier so we can choose to throw away the game at the last minute lol.

Funny how the East playoffs is still in disarray while the West matchups are pretty much done days ago.

With the Hawks win, I expect them to rest guys vs. the Pacers. Increases the chance of getting into the playoffs without needing to worry about tiebreakers. On the flip side, it seems we're going to face the Cavs in the first round due to them not caring. Hopefully either the Heat or The Bulls finish off their games much earlier so we can choose to throw away the game at the last minute lol.

Funny how the East playoffs is still in disarray while the West matchups are pretty much done days ago.

But have you seen the Hawks bench? They demolished the Cavs on Friday and brought the team back on Sunday.

Lol.

Yeah Pacers should win if they take the game seriously. Our bench unit isn't really one to ease up on tho.

OKC is unbeaten without Westbrook. Harden 4 MVP

Same with Harden. Kawhi it is.

In any case, I'm not saying Bill Simmons was right of Oladipo having the ability to handle some of the playmaking responsibilities if he was allowed to touch the ball more, oh wait, no, that's exactly what I am saying, because there's a good reason he's averaging a career low in assists.

And there's nothing anyone can say to me to convince me that the Orlando Magic have had better spacing over the last 3 years than the Thunder this year. And no, Oladipo was not the primary ball handler either: his first year it was Jameer Nelson, the 2nd and 3rd it was Elfrid Payton, and last year Brandon Jennings also logged more assist per game in the 25 games he played for them.

His flashes of potential sometimes are ridiculous. Some Greek Freak vibes.

He's a more developed with a better shot Giannis, just without the as ridiculous ceiling for athleticism (mind you, Giannis probably has a ceiling of younger Lebron for athleticism)

It didn't matter anyways, because the Kings are blowing out the Suns. Lakers are locked into 3rd worst record, going for wins where youth get to develop is the ideal at this point.

Also, Giannis, Middleton, Delly, and Snell are all sitting out the Boston game, which is sad, because that both would have been a fun game to watch but it would also mean the Cavs are more likely to play a tough game against Toronto to end the season (Toronto is playing everyone, they are ending the season hot and want that to continue).

Also makes me sad because Toronto is likely matching up with Cavs in ECSF instead of ECF, and also the Bucks and Raptors have to take one of the two out.

On the plus side, Wizards vs Celtics, if it happens (Wizards vs Hawks idk, Celtics vs especially the Bulls idk) would be really fun to watch. I wonder if the Wizards just dress in black for every single game XD.

Also, although you can say the Noah contract is shit, at least Noah does actually provide veteran leadership/experience, which could be used to teach Porzingis or some other young big how to develop defensively, or something. I mean, it's not the worst contract, because that hands down has to be the Parsons contract. 100%.

Ingram's handles have been a pleasant surprise. I didn't know he had that in him. He's gonna be a good one.

Lollll Lakers don't want that pick.

The basketball gods are going to reward us for NOT tanking!

Real talk I wish the draft lottery was on the last day of the season just to put me out of my misery.

Jarate

Banned
Ingram desperately needs a consistent jump shot. I doubt he's a long term solution as the primary ball handler.

I also don't like Duke players that much tbh

Ingram's handles have been a pleasant surprise. I didn't know he had that in him. He's gonna be a good one.

The basketball gods are going to reward us for NOT tanking!

Real talk I wish the draft lottery was on the last day of the season just to put me out of my misery.

The basketball gods are going to reward the Sixers for the foot and blood sacrifice this year. And also, Silver still owes us for killing Hinkie

TTG

What the fuck are the Timberwolves doing? Everyone prescribed patience when they started off badly and then lost hope of making the playoffs, but wasn't there at least supposed to be some progress? Lost to an MVPless OKC team tonight, the tanking Lakers last game, and are 3-7 in their last 10.

LionPride

Banned
What the fuck are the Timberwolves doing? Everyone prescribed patience when they started off badly and then lost hope of making the playoffs, but wasn't there at least supposed to be some progress? Lost to an MVPless OKC team tonight, the tanking Lakers last game, and are 3-7 in their last 10.
This is the game that pissed me off. We allowed Victor fucking Oladipo to beat us. Fuck it. This season we figured out that Rubio is still worth while, KAT is the best young prospect who is not Nigerian and Greek, Wiggins will be good, we need to do better everywhere else. Fuck. Defense needs to be lit as fuck next year to make up for anything. Draft or sign an actual PF who isn't also 7'0 and can't shoot. Taj Gibson or my man's from Arizona. That will work. Good bench players, please for the love of God.

So who do the Bucks still have?

Brogdon (2nd game after missing 5) / Gary Payton II
Jason Terry / Rashad Vaughn
Michael Beasley
Mirza Teletovic / Spencer Hawes
Thon Maker / Greg Monroe

I should probably note that Maker typically starts, plays a few minutes, and then is benched, to give him experience against the centers but not necessarily making him the Bucks starter in the typical sense (although it can depend game to game). He's also technically a power forward, who has a pretty good 3 pt shot that he uses decently often.

Reason why I bring this up is because I see the potential for a trap game for the Celtics. Jason Terry is far too old to be starting against the Celtics, and with Brogdon at 6'5'' I could see him and Payton II playing as most of Milwaukee's back-court. Brogdon has played Boston well both times this season (last game he had a 16/4/9)

If you go by splits, the only two teams Monroe, with his post-up ability and size, does better against are New York and Philadelphia (he and one of Okafor/the smaller Holmes off the bench is a bad mix). He averages 15/10.5/2/1.5/2 against them, in 31 minutes. Boston legitimately has issues with the type of center that, fortunately for them, is going out of style.

This is also a pretty consistent thing. Last year, he averaged 19/10.5/3.8/1.3/0.8 in 31 minutes against them (equal best for ppg with a few other teams). Year before that was 24/8.5/0.5/1.5/1.5 in 31 minutes (more ppg than any other team)

Michael Beasley had 17/8/1 the one time he played Boston, in 22 mpg, this season. He shot 70% that game. On the other hand, last year, with the Rockets, again just one game, he had 18/8 (5 ORB)/0/0/1 in 15 minutes, so there might be something to him being an issue for this Boston team. He's also averaged about 15.4 ppg in the 5 games he's started this season for Milwaukee, with 24 mpg.

These were the 5 games he started, for reference.
(@ Indiana)
(vs Detroit)
@ Brooklyn
vs Utah
@ Cleveland

So it might be possible for Milwaukee to upset and for Cleveland to get 1st seed still

This is the game that pissed me off. We allowed Victor fucking Oladipo to beat us. Fuck it. This season we figured out that Rubio is still worth while, KAT is the best young prospect who is not Nigerian and Greek, Wiggins will be good, we need to do better everywhere else. Fuck. Defense needs to be lit as fuck next year to make up for anything. Draft or sign an actual PF who isn't also 7'0 and can't shoot. Taj Gibson or my man's from Arizona. That will work. Good bench players, please for the love of God.

Offering Milsap a lot of money seems like a good idea.

Jarate

Banned
Ben Simmons just got cleared for 5 on 5 right now. He won't play Summer League, but ehhh, he's ready proved he's too good for Summer league

TTG

Yea, I saw somewhere that the Hawks aren't going to put up a fight either, so Miami is shit out of luck.

In other news, we're totally going to make 20k before the playoff OT.

Top Bottom