• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Suspends Season

greyshark

The NBA announced that it has suspended its season until further notice after the completion of Wednesday night's games after a member of the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for the coronavirus.

The player is the Jazz's Rudy Gobert, sources told ESPN. That led the Jazz's game at Oklahoma City to be postponed just before tipoff.

The NBA said it "will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic."

Unbelievable - it seems like containment is impossible at this point.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I could see them just playing in empty stadiums in order to keep the TV broadcasts going, but this is a shock. Seems like an overreaction, tbh.

greyshark

I could see them just playing in empty stadiums in order to keep the TV broadcasts going, but this is a shock. Seems like an overreaction, tbh.

The NCAA Tournament has decided to do this - I wonder what they'll do if/when one of their athletes test positive.

vpance

They'll need to test all the players and team staff before any consideration of resuming the season.

I think they'll be back on after a month and they test everyone. I suspect the same thing will happen with other sports, an athlete will test positive and then they'll basically quarantine they league until theyare sure everyone is healthy.

I can't stay more than 2 days without watching some basketball while the season is on. I love sports, but more than anything I LOVE basketball. While this was the correct call until they can set a course and come up with a plan, it still sucks.

Hopefully this is crisis is resolved by the time Augusta rolls around or at least alleviated enough to not postpone the Masters, but I'm not confident about that either.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This fucking corona is taking everything away from us!

Now I’m not sure if I’ll see my Lakers lift the championship this season..

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Everything is either gonna get cancelled or played in front of no fans. But naturally they’ll all wait until shit gets worse to enforce it or until one of their own gets sick.

Can’t have billionaires missing out on a few bucks! 🙄

Definitely! Me and my dad have this discussion like three times a week. Ja Morant is the rookie of the year and if it went to anyone else thats a clear robbery.
You know if the season wrapped up normally Zion would've stole that shit with only 30 something games played lol

Ja is dope and deserves it for sure.

Super disappointing. This has been a fun season all around the league. Even my floundering warriors have been fun to watch in a nostalgic aww this reminds me of the old shitty days kind of way.

I'm thinking it's probably going to be suspended at least 2-3 weeks if EVERYTHING goes perfectly.

Wonder if this would affect WWE as well, lot of traveling.

Plus WWE is not a sport with unscripted outcomes. The fans are more integral to WWE than to other sports--the results technically don't matter in and of themselves.

If they had to do Wrestlemania with no crowd, you could argue that it'd be worse than postponing it. If the crowd wasn't Yes Yes Yesing when Bryan won the title, would it have really mattered?

Mista

Banned
You know if the season wrapped up normally Zion would've stole that shit with only 30 something games played lol

Ja is dope and deserves it for sure.

Super disappointing. This has been a fun season all around the league. Even my floundering warriors have been fun to watch in a nostalgic aww this reminds me of the old shitty days kind of way.

I'm thinking it's probably going to be suspended at least 2-3 weeks if EVERYTHING goes perfectly.
Why? Because he scored 20+ in whatever consecutive games?

Not taking away his skill nor denying that he’s a baller but Ja did more in my opinion + the confidence he have while playing reminds me of young Kobe Bryant may his soul rest in peace

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Good move by the NBA to stay on top of this, but damn.. I was very much enjoying this season as compared to previous ones.

Oh well.

Dthomp

Definitely! Me and my dad have this discussion like three times a week. Ja Morant is the rookie of the year and if it went to anyone else thats a clear robbery.

The NBAs plan all along, season is officially cancelled in a month, all rookies hold their rookie status and Zion is pushed to the moon as ROY :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Vawn

Banned

I don't know, an actual player on the court had the virus. As close as basketball players are on the court and in the locker room are, this likely has already spread.

Even if they played without fans, this virus could easily spread just to a large number of NBA players, refs, etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Good, what is holding back the rest of the sport world? Greed?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm rooting for a cure, I just enjoy watching basketball so this is a real bummer. Basketball has been competitive as hell this season. LeBron's season has been remarkable, putting the Lakers on his back after the Kobe death... damn.

Why? Because he scored 20+ in whatever consecutive games?

Not taking away his skill nor denying that he’s a baller but Ja did more in my opinion + the confidence he have while playing reminds me of young Kobe Bryant may his soul rest in peace
Because of the hype. You know how the voters (media) are.

I agree, Ja deserves it 100%

Top Bottom