• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: Former Russian counter-intelligence officer was in Don Jr. meeting

thefro

Suspected of still being tied to Russian intelligence.

Russian Lawyer Brought Ex-Soviet Counter Intelligence Officer to Trump Team Meeting
by KEN DILANIAN and NATASHA LEBEDEVA

WASHINGTON — The Russian lawyer who met with the Trump team after a promise of compromising material on Hillary Clinton was accompanied by a Russian-American lobbyist — a former Soviet counter intelligence officer who is suspected by some U.S. officials of having ongoing ties to Russian intelligence, NBC News has learned.

NBC News is not naming the lobbyist, who denies any current ties to Russian spy agencies. He accompanied the lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, to the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower attended by Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort.

The Russian-born American lobbyist served in the Soviet military and emigrated to the U.S., where he holds dual citizenship.

The barrel of the smoking gun keeps expanding and expanding, revealing more of the gun itself.

I was going somewhere with that metaphor and I lost it.

Why do they keep leaving details out of each "final" revision?

Especially since the official WH line is that they did nothing wrong?

Because they are fucking STUPID

It's been months of being constantly rope-a-dope'd and they still haven't fucking caught on that when something partially leaks, they are being set up for the denial to be invalidated by more leaks that drip out.

I'm fucking flabbergasted how stupid these people are and why they can't understand the pattern that has presented itself time and time again.

Foffy

Banned
Он просто продолжает происходить.

:p

Zolo

So did Trump Jr. forget there was another person there?

So when does a recording or a video of this meeting come out?
I wouldn't think so, but I do wonder if we're getting to that point.
Wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Because "they did nothing wrong"***

***"until someone points something out that we didn't think they knew and we have to backpeadal"

Using what the Russians and the Trump campaign did against Hillary, keeping the news cycle churning and allowing them opportunities to incriminate themselves.

Unless you were being sarcastic. It's too early in the morning to tell.

Or you really meant the Trump Admin. Like I said, it's too early.

I wonder if there's a point where "fake news" fatigue starts to set in and the Trump supporters start to realize that maybe there really is something to all of this. I mean in the back of any rational person's mind you'd have to at least think how weird it is for Trump's team to be having all of these undisclosed contacts with Russians opperatives even if you partially buy into the whole "liberal sour grapes" narrative.

Ac30

They are not smart.

They don't need to be. The collective Republican response to the Jr. email revelation can be summed up as:

"meh"

They don't care. No one in power cares. Watching Republicans just not give a shit is incredible; if the Dems win in 2020 I suggest they kill the legislative filibuster and pass whatever policies they like - we're already seeing how hard it is for Republicans to remove basic entitlements, and they're using Reconciliation to boot it through with 50 votes regardless, making the filibuster effectively worthless.

Zolo

I wonder if there's a point where "fake news" fatigue starts to set in and the Trump supporters start to realize that maybe there really is something to all of this. I mean in the back of any rational person's mind you'd have to at least think how weird it is for Trump's team to be having all of these undisclosed contacts with Russians opperatives even if you partially buy into the whole "liberal sour grapes" narrative.

From what I can tell, most seem tired and frustrated of this. A lot did seem to at least recognize that the Russia meeting was dumb if nothing else though. If a decent # of Republicans turn on Trump for this, I expect it'll be more likely due to a (or more) solid pieces of evidence such as tapes or audio with the turning being more sudden.

cameron

Contacted by NBC News, representatives for Kushner and Manafort declined to comment. A lawyer for Trump Jr. did not respond to multiple requests for comment. Veselnitskaya, in an exclusive interview with NBC News, denied having any connection to the Kremlin and insisted the meeting was to discuss sanctions, not the presidential campaign.
Aw, no comment.

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance: “It looks like Trump Jr. is now engaging in what prosecutors call ‘incremental truth-telling’” via @MSNBC

— Bradd Jaffy‏ (@BraddJaffy) July 10, 2017

So when does a recording or a video of this meeting come out?
At this stage it's going to be on a random episode of Monday Night Raw with that secret camera branding they used to do, followed by the wrestlers court indictment of the Hall of Famer Donald Trump before Vince McMahon screams you're fired as the crowd shouts lock him up.

The true carny experience that the US needs right now.

jay

You have to understand that before this possible crime was committed, no one even cared that this possible crime may have been committed.

Rinat Akhmetshin is the name popping up at me, the Russian Lawyer hired him, edit: well I say hired as if I'm taking their account as gospel, but that's their story anyway.

digdug2k

They don't need to be. The collective Republican response to the Jr. email revelation can be summed up as:

"meh"

They don't care. No one in power cares. Watching Republicans just not give a shit is incredible; if the Dems win in 2020 I suggest they kill the legislative filibuster and pass whatever policies they like - we're already seeing how hard it is for Republicans to remove basic entitlements, and they're using Reconciliation to boot it through with 50 votes regardless.
Lol. But you know when 2020 comes around the Dems will run someone... normal, and the GOP will just throw out some "He's friends with a banker!" meat into the ring, and the entire world, including Democrats, will gather around to fucking slaughter the guy.

Snwaters

Interesting how this is all coming out when Trump himself is out of the country. Distance from the whole situation means he has less means to interfere via tweet, etc.

Zolo

You have to understand that before this possible crime was committed, no one even cared that this possible crime may have been committed.

Yep. A better question to poll Republicans on would be 'Would you care if Trump colluded with Russia to help him win the election?'

theWB27

Lol. But you know when 2020 comes around the Dems will run someone... normal, and the GOP will just throw out some "He's friends with a banker!" meat into the ring, and the entire world, including Democrats, will gather around to fucking slaughter the guy.

That's that sad part. Shit happens so much on this board.

Ardenyal

From what I can tell, most seem tired and frustrated of this. A lot did seem to at least recognize that the Russia meeting was dumb if nothing else though. If a decent # of Republicans turn on Trump for this, I expect it'll be more likely due to a (or more) solid pieces of evidence such as tapes or audio with the turning being more sudden.
There needs to be something that turns the tide, a peevotal piece of evidence.

Zolo

So what exactly is the source that all these people met up? Because that seems like an extremely small pool.

Top Bottom