• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
c4c3d17aafe63e2ebb5e19677910f1dc.jpg

It would not be pretty. They are a fanatical military nation and would cause major damage before they fell.
lol wtf at this garbage chart

Even ignoring the difference in technology, the numbers look way off on the US side. Only 90 combat aircraft? wut

Nope, just not happy with the whole do nothing about NK charade we have been putting on. Enough is enough.

There isn't even a plan and you know it. Your dear president is not playing n dimensional chess, he's just being an idiot who gets thrown off kilter by Kim Jong Un's bleating.

Jarmel

Banned
Not even sure why you would compare NK to SK directly. Any invasion or military response against SK would be against the US as well.

Nope, just not happy with the whole do nothing about NK charade we have been putting on. Enough is enough.

Other than "let nuts hang" how much have you thought this situation through? There's a good reason why the "charade" has been the least-worst strategy for everyone involved for the last 70 years.

Pomerlaw

It's pretty interesting to see this whole american propaganda which makes it sound like NK wants to nuke LA and NK ICBMs would be the worst thing ever while Russia and China have thousands of ICBMs pointed at America.

China and Russia know about MAD and are rational actors. Of course it would be worse but there is nothing we can do to make those arsenals dissapear.

The rhetoric from NK has been the same for the last 20 years and hasn't really changed. What has changed is the aggressive rhetoric from the US. Trump has seen war is good for his polls and the american media is just as glad to jump on it (Looking at this thread so are some americans).

I know you hate Trump and you have lots of good reasons to, but something else changed. They are developping an ICBMs and are close to getting them working.

As much as I want to believe diplomacy could work, it has been tried for the last 20 years and failed completely.

I wonder what Japanese and SK people think about the whole thing. Do they just want to wait it out and hope for the best in the future?

China and Russia know about MAD and are rational actors. Of course it would be worse but there is nothing we can do to make those arsenals dissapear.

I know you hate Trump and you have lots of good reasons to, but something else changed. They are developping an ICBMs and are close to getting them working.

As much as I want to believe diplomacy could work, it has been tried for the last 20 years and failed completely.

I wonder what Japanese and SK people think about the whole thing. Do they just want to wait it out and hope for the best in the future?

Like every cult organization, there are true believers and then there are people looking for power and wealth out of it. That's what NK leadership has been for the most part, they are looking for pay offs and other hand outs every time they engage in provocation.

There really are no good solutions.
Apparently a lot of people just want to bomb the shit out of them, who cares about the consequences or what happens to Seoul, the average American citizen will be fine, everyone else is just cannon fodder or target practice.

America first in a nutshell.

Go wage your fucking wars against hypothetical situations involving your country somewhere else, I don't want anything to do about it.

Differing opinions are good but we can't always get our way. I'll accept a peaceful resolution just as well as one that involves force. The peaceful route is doing nothing, time for a change.

SDCowboy

You enlisting?

You do realize there wouldn't be an actual boots on the ground war, right? It would be a swift and total decapitation of NK through the air, and would likely only take a matter of hours. Some folks don't seem to realize there would not be "war" with NK as it would risk to neighboring countries would be to great.

Apparently a lot of people just want to bomb the shit out of them, who cares about the consequences or what happens to Seoul, the average American citizen will be fine, everyone else is just cannon fodder or target practice.

America first in a nutshell.

Not just Seoul, Tokyo too. Whilst NK doesn't really have the weapons to cause harm to America, it can pretty much send everything it does have towards those two cities. I think Seoul is only 35 miles away from the border.

It's a really delicate situation and i can see how previous presidents/monarchies/prime ministers have left it to fester. China is the key here really.

norm9

You do realize there wouldn't be an actual boots on the ground war, right? It would be a swift and total decapitation of NK through the air, and would likely only take a matter of hours. Some folks don't seem to realize there would not be "war" with NK as it would risk to neighboring countries would be to great.

Shock and Awe was a total success. It looked amazing on tv.

You actually believe this? Holy shit....

wandering

Banned

Pure fantasy.

kmfdmpig

I mean we've heard that before and it has never worked out.

Pure fantasy.

I have yet to see a single person on this forum advocating for these actions explain their plan beyond the most narrow fantasy based scenarios. Like we drop some bombs, NK gets scared and issues an unconditional surrender, the people of NK all come around to the new US-Japan-SK approved regime without any issues and I guess there is no humanitarian crisis either. All while no one on our side is killed or hurt.

Fucking ignorance of the most dangerous magnitude.

Xando

I have yet to see a single person on this forum advocating for these actions explain their plan beyond the most narrow fantasy based scenarios. Like we drop some bombs, NK gets scared and issues an unconditional surrender, the people of NK all come around to the new US-Japan-SK approved regime without any issues and I guess there is no humanitarian crisis either. All while no one on our side is killed or hurt.

Yeah these people have been indoctrinated to fight the US for the last 60 years and people think they'll just surrender?

You realize that's the same exact thing our gov't said back in 2003 right?
We did decapitate iraq's government nearly that quickly though.

The occupation was the part that didn't work. I guess in our NK hypothetical we could just not occupy them after the decapitation strikes and then NK will become a libertarian government-free paradise.
Who is John Galt?

How does that work exactly? Do you think the US knows the pinpoint location of every NK leader at real time?

At least be honest with your expectations. A lot of people die and the region gets thrown into chaos for a while but MAYBE we prevent an even worse future outcome, maybe.

That is what you're actually going for. Which is basically the Iraq argument and it turned out to be a poor decision, but this is not to say that the lesson is to never intervene. There are possible, but incredible unlikely, scenarios in which Iraq is not invaded and things somehow turn out worse. The lesson is to stop assuming the alternative to whatever strategy you have now is automatically better, it could be just as bad or worse.

When my fridge acts up I pay someone to fix it, doesn't require me to know the first thing about refrigerator repair. This thought that in order to want military action you must provide a detailed plan and course of action is absolutely absurd.

We elect/promote people to do that for us. Now my opinion is they need to get to it.

Mcree as an avatar and cowboy on its name, you are like the parody of a brainwashed warmonger american.

What you say is a fantasy scenario and its never going to happen.
Theres going to be heavy consequences even if only one bomb is dropped.

When my fridge acts up I pay someone to fix it, doesn't require me to know the first thing about refrigerator repair. This thought that in order to want military action you must provide a detailed plan and course of action is absolutely absurd.

We elect/promote people to do that for us. Now my opinion is they need to get to it.

Nobody dies over your fucking fridge you jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom