• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC could lose 6 years of NCAA games and 250 mil in tourism over HB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

These people have proven over and over they will shoot themselves in the foot to hate.

This will only make them dig in

FyreWulff

It was like South Carolina spent decades with the ban for flying the Confederate flag, they come to their senses and North Carolina is like "NOW IS OUR CHANCE TO BE HERPADERPS"

slit

It's not going to change their minds until North Carolina is broke and penniless because of the yokels who ensure their legislatures job security.

Awesome. Fuck transphobic pieces of shit. Hit them where these fuckers feel it. Hopefully this thread gains some traction, but I doubt it considering even Gaf is iffy on trans rights issues at times.

With you on this. But honestly I haven't seen any wishy washy shit here about Trans issues.

Shame that you have to threaten a dent in their pocketbook to get action with some of these people.

NFL also saying no Super Bowls in TX if their law gets passed. Is this how acceptance comes? Via sports corporations?

Yep. It's the great divider between fiscal and social conservatives.

With you on this. But honestly I haven't seen any wishy washy shit here about Trans issues.

Shame that you have to threaten a dent in their pocketbook to get action with some of these people.

I would say that trans issues are more so acceptable to have "differing opinions" on than other rights issues, though not to the extent that it used to be on forums like (and including) these.

ryseing

Awesome. Fuck transphobic pieces of shit. Hit them where these fuckers feel it. Hopefully this thread gains some traction, but I doubt it considering even Gaf is iffy on trans rights issues at times.

It's not going to change their minds until North Carolina is broke and penniless because of the yokels who ensure their legislatures job security.

Hey y'all, the cities voted blue. Don't put this on us. Hoping our economy tanks really isn't fair to the millions of hardworking people in this state who defend transgender people.

I would say that trans issues are more so acceptable to have "differing opinions" on than other rights issues, though not to the extent that it used to be on forums like (and including) these.
Yeah, I guess this is it. I'm just incredibly cynical at this point that trans issues will get real visibility, seeing as we're seen as the "lesser" of the LGBTQ+ groups that are fighting to be heard in this shit ass country.

ryseing

Perhaps, but at the same time, I don't know that anything else can force the GOP's hand.

It's a tough dilemma for sure, and a very personal one for me as a portion of my family's business relies on tourist revenue. I thought Cooper getting into office would help put an end to this nonsense but I guess not.

What really makes me angry are posters painting all of us with the same brush. North Carolina is an amazing state with amazing people, but some of our rural folks haven't quite gotten with the times unfortunately.

It's a tough dilemma for sure, especially as a portion of my family's business relies on tourist revenue. I thought Cooper getting into office would help put an end to this nonsense but I guess not.

What really makes me angry are posters painting all of us with the same brush. North Carolina is an amazing state with amazing people, but some of our rural folks haven't quite gotten with the times unfortunately.
Edit: My original post was unnecessarily aggressive and I apologize. This is extremely personal to me, being a trans person. I shouldn't take that out on you.

ryseing

You do realize that some of those people have never even met a transgender person? They do not understand the implications of the fuckery they elect into the state legislature. The rural parts of North Carolina are as backwards as it gets. What those people need is education, not a financial spanking that will just piss them off even more.

Background- I grew up in a coastal town with a church literally on every block, and one that has backwoods around a half hour away. I didn't meet a trans person until I moved away for college, and my LGBQ acquaintances from before college I can count on one hand. I was anti-LGBTQ rights until I was 13 or 14 simply because I didn't know any better. Fortunately I liked to read so I learned about humanity, and the beauty of all forms it comes in. I have classmates from high school that did not learn the same lessons unfortunately, as they stayed on the farm and married young.

@ your edit- it's fine. I'm not going to claim to understand your pain as a cis man, but I would like you to know that I protested the Capitol last year and interned at a group that was doing its best to fight HB2. I'm on your side, as are millions of North Carolinians. That's what I meant by "being painted with the same brush". I've seen far too many posts saying "blah blah blah fuck NC", without realizing that there are many of us trying to change things.

I love my state, but it is doing some despicable things, things I oppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom