• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCCA official unhappy with Tekken 7 character 'Josie Rizal'

Raysoul

Uh guys, I'm a Filipino and I'm telling you that most Filipinos (that are not related to NCCA) who doesn't want the name are just people who doesn't like it because it is a bad name, and it is 'corny' because it is named after Jose Rizal.

On the other hand NCCA people doesn't want the name because they are purist who doesn't want people to taint our National Culture.

You can check the comments section of the articles related to this and you will see people telling NCCA to just fuck off.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm more disappointed that she's not a Rule 63 Rizal.

Let me remind you guys that our local government are idiots and my countrymen suffer from being onion-skinned. Pay them no heed. The NCCA are essentially incompetent idiots.

Uh guys, I'm a Filipino and I'm telling you that most Filipinos (that are not related to NCCA) who doesn't want the name are just people who doesn't like it because it is a bad name, and it is 'corny' because it is named after Jose Rizal.

On the other hand NCCA people doesn't want the name because they are purist who doesn't want people to taint our National Culture.

You can check the comments section of the articles related to this and you will see people telling NCCA to just fuck off.

Yep. These are the idiots who scrutinize various singers during the Pacquiao match because "they didn't sing the anthem properly" or some shit. They're wackos.

Rurunaki

I try to tell people to not say my name. You see, I share a name with the greatest President Ever, Abraham Lincoln. I can't play CN S.T.E.A.M, it would trigger me. I get it enough at work, people saying my name left and right. When they say my name, I get flashbacks of freedom and emancipation. I get the urge to box the closest person to me. My beard bursts out in its full mangy glory, and I get a feeling of needing something tall and black to cover my head.

I've tried to change my name, last time I went the judge looked at me and told me 'Why are you disrespecting our 16th president? Do you hate freedom, son?'. It's no use.

I understand how the Filipinos feel. I hope they rename the character, lest it trigger people with patriotism.

Because A badass president fighting alien is comparable to a skimpy outfit wearing girl amirite? Inspire that Patriotism 'MURICA!!

Alx

Just change the name for the local version of the game... Square did it in FFIX with Zidane being renamed to Djidane in the French version to avoid confusion with the football player. No big deal.

Alienous

No fuck changing the name.
They shouldn't bow down to humourless morons.

I wouldn't care if they reimagined Winston Churchill as a little girl. And called her Winnie Churchchill or something.

In fact fuck me thats amazing and should happen.

Not everything needs to be a battle.

I'm no arbiter of funny, but it doesn't seem worth it for a "Oh, I see what you did there" joke.

Boss Doggie

What's hilarious is that there have been some other Filipino figures that have been mentioned in video games yet people here don't bat an eye because it's not "sensationalist" or "big".

Like I said, Philippines is a very CONSERVATIVE country. I'm a filipino that grew up in the United States and I do not care or even raise an eyebrow to rhis types of things. However, Philippines is still being run by the Old Guards (Think Republicans, but amplified and with the fervor and backing of the Catholic Church).

Well depends. Your savvy Filipinos aren't idiots. But the higher ups, the old people, and the poor people are in fact idiots and use MUH PINOY PRIDE.

Different culture's treat their heroes/traditions... well differently. People should respect that. Calling them " humourless morons" is a little bit much. Besides it's just a name.

There are other folks in my country claiming Rizal isn't a "true Filipino hero" because he isn't a peasant or something.

I am Filipino and I think it's much about nothing. It's obvious that her character was named after the national hero, Jose Rizal, but that's as far as any connection gets. I suppose that's Harada's way of making her roots obvious and I don't see anything wrong with that.

The thing is, Josie is NOT Jose so I don't really get the NCCA's overreaction. But now that I mentioned that, it's probably why they're making all the noise - they're hardly known by anyone here much like a lot of the government's agencies. Hey, it's free publicity!

Rephin

I mean, what if her parents who happened to have the last name Rizal wanted to honor the memory of their national hero by naming their daughter Josie? Seems perfectly logical to me.

Not that it matters, but I'm Filipino as well. I don't see the big deal here. People don't get up in arms about my uncle's name, which is Jesus. I also know more than one person named Jesus. If that name isn't too sacred to use, why is a name bearing a close resemblance to a hero off limits? I think the stink is over a lot of nothing, and Namco should stand their ground.

Rurunaki

What's hilarious is that there have been some other Filipino figures that have been mentioned in video games yet people here don't bat an eye because it's not "sensationalist" or "big".

Well depends. Your savvy Filipinos aren't idiots. But the higher ups, the old people, and the poor people are in fact idiots and use MUH PINOY PRIDE.

There are other folks in my country claiming Rizal isn't a "true Filipino hero" because he isn't a peasant or something.

Every country has a group of people that are in the extremes when it comes to national pride. It is not exclusive to one country. What we're seeing here is the same group of Oligarchs that needs to go away.

Boss Doggie

I am Filipino and I think it's much about nothing. It's obvious that her character was named after the national hero, Jose Rizal, but that's as far as any connection gets. I suppose that's Harada's way of making her roots obvious and I don't see anything wrong with that.

The thing is, Josie is NOT Jose so I don't really get the NCCA's overreaction. But now that I mentioned that, it's probably why they're making all the noise - they're hardly known by anyone here much like a lot of the government's agencies. Hey, it's free publicity!

Like I said, NCCA are a bunch of morons who only got their position because muh nationalism. Check out their tendencies to go nuts whenever the singer sings the national anthem "wrongly" during a Pacquiao fight.

Every country has a group of people that are in the extremes when it comes to national pride. It is not exclusive to one country. What we're seeing here is the same group of Oligarchs that needs to go away.
I wouldn't even count some of them as oligarchs. There are people blinded by "Filipino Pride" not knowing that it is merely a ploy by higher ups to make money out of them.

And I mean sure, you're right. But there are a bunch of my countrymen who take any mention as an offense due to the onion-skinned culture.

Like I said, NCCA are a bunch of morons who only got their position because muh nationalism. Check out their tendencies to go nuts whenever the singer sings the national anthem "wrongly" during a Pacquiao fight.

Oh tell me about it. I'm not a fan of those who "oversing" the national anthem (mostly because they sound awful) but I won't raise a ruckus over it. But then again, I don't see/hear them often as I'm one of those very few Filipinos who can't care less about Pacquiao.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because A badass president fighting alien is comparable to a skimpy outfit wearing girl amirite? Inspire that Patriotism 'MURICA!!
You do realize that even a bikini clad Lincoln would receive the same acceptance in America?

Same with Japan.. They have fantasy, sexy, moe versions of many of their historical figures. Nobody cares.

Real talk: getting uptight and offended over 'national heroes' is some old school, developing nation shit. It's immature. It's the behaviour of elements of culture that haven't grown up yet, and haven't adapted to 21st century global culture.

But it's all good... Young generations of Filipinos raised on the zeitgeist of international culture know that being inducted into the silliness of international pop culture is a good thing. And that is the future.

Felt like sharing, this is great haha.

CBaom10UYAIxw0T.jpg

Talim from Soul Calibur is Filipina I believe but correct me if I'm wrong. There are a lot more from different genres.

That's just speculation I think, Talim was never listed officially to be from the Phillipines.

Rurunaki

You do realize that even a bikini clad Lincoln would receive the same acceptance in America?

Same with Japan.. They have fantasy, sexy, moe versions of many of their historical figures. Nobody cares.

Real talk: getting uptight and offended over 'national heroes' is some old school, developing nation shit. It's immature. It's the behaviour of elements of culture that haven't grown up yet, and haven't adapted to 21st century global culture.

But it's all good... Young generations of Filipinos raised on the zeitgeist of international culture know that being inducted into the silliness of international pop culture is a good thing. And that is the future.

You seemed to missed my other replies regarding the menrality of the country, as well as countless posts explaining who these NCCA people are.

Ishan

change the name avoid the issue. I mean if that name is important to a country
1. respect it 2. doesnt make any business sense to keep with the samename just change it.

Talim is pretty much Filipina. Her name literally means "sharp/blade" in Tagalog. Her moves have Tagalog names on them. I can't say what else would prove her ethnicity otherwise.

Boss Doggie

1. respect it 2. doesnt make any business sense to keep with the samename just change it.

No need to change the name, it's just a bunch of idiots, people here actually don't mind her.

Sadly it's ingrained in our culture to have onion-skinned people due to victim complex. It takes savviness and being exposed to information outside of what the country regurgitates to remove that.

I mean, in elementary there is a class for good conduct and part of it is "patronizing local goods" just cause.

But it's a good thing there are more people getting exposed to outside information.

Felt like sharing, this is great haha.

That's just speculation I think, Talim was never listed officially to be from the Phillipines.

Hahaha that's perfect!

And nope she's Filipina. Her name, her language, her village, etc. are pre-History based.

While that may be a good way to avoid ANY controversy, nobody here is actually bothered by it. Those who are screaming at the top of their lungs are the extremely vocal minority who would not even buy the game to begin with.

HGH

Banned
Honestly, this last rash of posters from the actual country in question makes me delighted to see, especially when people who have no stake in the matter were busy being offended on their behalf. Real classy of you guys.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Jose Rizal was a dude.

They implying he was a bitch? Huh? HUH?

Seriously though, I think they'd have less of a problem if the Tekken character was a male.

lol art, if you were holding up something that wasn't just made as pandering fanservice you would have a point. but this is not that claiming this shouldnt be changed because "art is free" is ridiculous.

Why? The developer is free to create what he wants. It's not even the _same_ name. Would any austrian be offended, if they created a character called Ada Hitler? It's still a common name, maybe not as common as back then but it still exists. Maybe it's because I live in a country where showing skin isn't stigmatised and pretty common in the summer over here.

Boss Doggie

Honestly, this last rash of posters from the actual country in question makes me delighted to see, especially when people who have no stake in the matter were busy being offended on their behalf. Real classy of you guys.

We just like to laugh at those old folks who have nothing better to do and like to waste taxes due to their existence.

Jose Rizal was a dude.

They implying he was a bitch? Huh? HUH?

Seriously though, I think they'd have less of a problem if the Tekken character was a male.

I'm still waiting for a serious r63 Rizal art.

Klossen

Banned
They did after Tekken 6 with Zafina's costume when Muslims complained.

And look at the slippery slope that has lead to. Feels like there isn't a single new Tekken unveil before someone somewhere gets offended. Sometimes you just have to stand ground for your work.

lupinko

Where were these people when Squeenix blew up Batangas in Front Mission 3? Lol

Well Rizal's final written words were in Spanish after all. XD

Also the dude has a massive monument in Madrid, and a statue in Heidelberg.

popyea

I wish I had something more substantial to offer besides "seriously?", but seriously? It looks heinous to me. I'm not saying you are wrong - I don't necessarily have an eye for design - but what makes it top-notch?

It's a good design. And you're right, a response like "seriously?" does lack substance.

It's more like classic Capcom design, ie. specific, focusing on an appealing whole rather than detail. Interesting silhouettes that forego realism or practicality. And simplified, high contrast colour scheme. Capcom fighters tend to produce a roster of highly specific characters that contrast against each other.

I think Josie ranks fairly high among newer Tekken characters. Closer in quality to designs like Lili, Dragunov or Jaycee than ones like Marduk, Baek, Feng or Miguel. Not that you can't like those characters, but their designs are overly general imo.

Boss Doggie

Where were these people when Squeenix blew up Batangas in Front Mission 3? Lol

Well Rizal's final written words were in Spanish after all. XD

Also the dude has a massive monument in Madrid, and a statue in Heidelberg.

Also the dude fathered various children all over the world.

lupinko

I wish I had something more substantial to offer besides "seriously?", but seriously? It looks heinous to me. I'm not saying you are wrong - I don't necessarily have an eye for design - but what makes it top-notch?

The design is nice, for starters, Josie is wearing the flag pretty much. Bayonetta designer lady did a good job imo.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
While I'm not personally offended, I can see where they're coming from. It's kinda like them making a character called Georgina Washington or Martina Luther King or something and putting her in a red, white and blue bikini and expecting people not to be offended.

If anything, I'm weirded out that she cries when she wins and that they don't make it even more eskrima-y, because it's actually a pretty great martial art.

If there's anything I find odd about Josie, it's that she cries after winning while saying "I can't believe I won." This is made even weirder by the fact that she starts the match saying "I got this!" It's a very strange disconnect. But maybe it's best to wait for her full story to be fleshed out in the game and see what really is going on with her.

HGH

Banned
We just like to laugh at those old folks who have nothing better to do and like to waste taxes due to their existence.
I sympathize, it seems easily offended old people in charge of things are a universal constant.

Harada is culturally sensitive. It wouldn't surprise me if he changed something.
I do like how proactive he is. He came out with his initial design for Shaheen, then immediately went to Twitter and Facebook to ask people what they disliked about the design, what Arab fans thought would be more fitting, etc... Really cool developer.

Pikma

Banned
"Mahirap natin mapigilan ang ibang bansa na gumawa ng ganoong character kasi ang Pilipinas, sikat na sikat sa mundo," said Dr. Leodenito Cañete

Totally understandable, it almost makes too much sense

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I do like how proactive he is. He came out with his initial design for Shaheen, then immediately went to Twitter and Facebook to ask people what they disliked about the design, what Arab fans thought would be more fitting, etc... Really cool developer.

Oh so you mean he engaged in self censorship? /s

Top Bottom