• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

I HATED RACING IN BURNOUT PARADISE SO MUCH. Same with this gen's Midnight Club game.

"Oh hey yeah I'm in first plac-OOPS WRONG TURN"

I think the original most wanted did it best. The "tracks" were still the open world streets but it was "walled off" so you couldn't go 20 miles the wrong way.

Well, isn't every race about learning the track and mastering it??

Hate all you want, but i don't really get it. I'll have my fun with it. Mostly all the stuff besides racing, but i like races too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Hate all you want, but i don't really get it. I'll have my fun with it. Mostly all the stuff besides racing, but i like races too.

most racing games are about mastering corners. You get plenty of warning by either clearly seeing a corner coming, or having some onscreen indicator like chevrons on the buildings. You don't need to remember that there *is* a corner, you have to remember what kind of corner it is, and how best to approach it.

in Burnout Paradise you had to memorise which bloody street to turn down, all while being smashed into by other cars. It was my biggest problem with the game.

MW looks like it improves on that though.

Nyx

Yes, but in Paradise, there were so many ways to race ''a track'', that with my fairly limited gaming-time I could not learn any race at all.

Therefore I prefer pre-determined tracks.

Yes, but in Paradise, there were so many ways to race ''a track'', that with my fairly limited gaming-time I could not learn any race at all.

There is a predetermined route in each race in MW. It's also lit up clearly on your map (with a green line) and includes checkpoints. You're just free to take shortcuts if you like, but you can stay on that one route and still win the race.

crispyben

This. Not to mention the minimap actually rotates with you like a normal GPS does.

I hated that BP didn't do that.
It became second nature after a few dozen hours in Paradise City, but I can see how it would fuck with some people's heads. Glad to know they've also learnt that lesson! I think I'll have to play BOP this weekend to scratch the itch...

Hope Cross-play is in.
It's not, only Speed Points are shared between (all) platforms.

Was it already mentioned that even Nintendo's official release schedule lists the game?

Why EA, why the secrecy?

I do have a theory that Firebrand is porting it, they were said to be making a multiplatform game that's on Wii U, now depending on the exact wording and context, I think they mean that they're doing a Wii U version of a multiplat game, this being it.

Criterion hasn't touched a Nintendo platform (other than the canned Wii and DS Burnout game, it's on Unseen64 I believe), while Firebrand has loads of Nintendo experience, but not exclusively (recently they have made a multiplatform game with Nascar Unleashed.

But this wouldn't be their first port either, if you include Trackmania, I don't know if that's really a port or a rebuilt version from the ground up for Wii. Likely the latter.

what is the best wheel for PC, MW was my favorite racing game last gen and I want to play this for real.

If I can be honest with you, this game is just not made to be used with a wheel. Can you use a wheel? Sure, but I suspect you're just making the game harder for yourself. Just my 2 cents, before you actually go buy a wheel just for this game.

Was it already mentioned that even Nintendo's official release schedule lists the game?

Why EA, why the secrecy?

I do have a theory that Firebrand is porting it, they were said to be making a multiplatform game that's on Wii U, now depending on the exact wording and context, I think they mean that they're doing a Wii U version of a multiplat game, this being it.

Criterion hasn't touched a Nintendo platform (other than the canned Wii and DS Burnout game, it's on Unseen64 I believe), while Firebrand has loads of Nintendo experience, but not exclusively (recently they have made a multiplatform game with Nascar Unleashed.

But this wouldn't be their first port either, if you include Trackmania, I don't know if that's really a port or a rebuilt version from the ground up for Wii. Likely the latter.

The secrecy is one of two things. 1) Criterion isn't handling the port, and thus it's a red headed step child they don't even want to make a big deal out of right now. 2) It's coming 4-6 months from now, and they just don't feel like announcing it yet. It could be a GOTY edition by then.

Also, Criterion did port Burnout 2 to the Gamecube.

Why EA, why the secrecy?

I'd doubt Firebrand, if only because this will undoubtedly be a straight port rather than a "conversion" or ground up game using the same license. If this was NFS Most Wanted for 3DS/Wii then Firebrand would make more sense.

Criterion are the masters of multiplatform. If they're bothering with Vita inhouse, I'd be surprised if they handed off Wii U.

I wish Firebrand was doing MW on 3DS, what a waste, The Run was really good, the engine should be easily reused, Firebrand makes some good stuff.

okay. I think i won every race at least the second time. But ofcourse play the games you like.
Wouldn't want you to invest time in a game that you hate :p

I think the combination with all the events and online features of BP and al the licensed cars of MW is the perfect mix. Especially with over the top engine sounds.

To me, as far as race games go, there isn't anything more boring than a sim racer.

well, there are plenty of games that even have the same tracks. So a lot of choice there for you. I don't mind playing those games by the way. I just think criterion games are more fun overall.

Tawpgun

I hate how all these games lose any capability to play online within a month. Player population goes way down.

Shame because I.really wanted the game, but it comes out the same day as AC3...

I wish Firebrand was doing MW on 3DS, what a waste, The Run was really good, the engine should be easily reused, Firebrand makes some good stuff.
I'm a little surprised in general that EA, Activision, etc aren't commissioning Wii/3DS down-conversions or licensed based titles of their big multiplatform games this year (COD, NFS, 007, etc). Seems like it'd be relatively painless.

iOS/Android seems to be eating a lot of the "low end" mainstream western development from even the traditional console publishers.

U2NUMB

It's not, only Speed Points are shared between (all) platforms.

Ok so what are speed points? This game has flown under my radar even though I have it pre ordered. I am getting it on the 360 but I have a Vita and might also get it there. How do these speed points work and it sounds like they would work between a 360 and vita version right?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The fuck? Hot Pursuit was amazing.

It's the only game i traded back in after one day of ownership. I could go into great lengths about why i completely hated the game but im not looking to shit up the thread. I'll probably gamefly it and if i like it i'll pick it up.

Ok so what are speed points? This game has flown under my radar even though I have it pre ordered. I am getting it on the 360 but I have a Vita and might also get it there. How do these speed points work and it sounds like they would work between a 360 and vita version right?

They're points you'll earn from doing pretty much anything in the game. You'll need them to face the Most Wanted cars (there are 10 of them) in the game. Those are the only cars in the game that aren't immediately in the world for the player to drive. You need to beat them in a race and then take them down.

crispyben

I hate how all these games lose any capability to play online within a month. Player population goes way down.

Shame because I.really wanted the game, but it comes out the same day as AC3...
If it's anything like BOP online-wise (fingers crossed), there'll be people to play with for a long time. I bought my PS3 in September 2008, more than 6 months after the game's release, and I still had enough online partners to complete the game to 102% and finish all 500 challenges. Granted, the DLC support kept a lot of people interested, but still, it was the core game loops that hooked people.

They're this game's version of XP. Anything you do on any platform earns you some, and they're tallied on your EA/Origin? account to rank you on a global Most Wanted list.

Burnout Paradise was less about learning tracks and more about learning an entire city. Easier said than done.

Don't get me wrong, I had my fun with Burnout Paradise. I just had my share of frustrations with it too.

okay. I think i won every race at least the second time. But ofcourse play the games you like.
Wouldn't want you to invest time in a game that you hate :p

I sometimes wonder if people were intimidated by Burnout Paradise just because of the IDEA of this open world city they were racing in. Meaning that they took a wrong turn during a race, and then felt so overwhelmed by the idea that they did something wrong, that they just wanted to give up.

Because in practice the game is always pointing you in the correct direction with the compass at the top of the screen, and even with a wrong turn I could often still win the race. I just loved the freedom it provided. It truly felt like you were racing in a city, and you could choose to take different paths, and sometimes they AI racers would do so themselves. It felt more real because of this.

I booted up Burnout Paradise on the Xbox 360 just this past weekend. Within minutes the lobby was full of players.

Nyx

There is a predetermined route in each race in MW. It's also lit up clearly on your map (with a green line) and includes checkpoints. You're just free to take shortcuts if you like, but you can stay on that one route and still win the race.

This changes things, thanks for the info!

Tawpgun

I guess it depends on what their online set up is like. In NFS hot pursuit you were separated by gametype and car class. This drastically reduced the player pool in each combination.

crispyben

I guess it depends on what their online set up is like. In NFS hot pursuit you were separated by gametype and car class. This drastically reduced the player pool in each combination.
Everything we've seen/heard/read so far indicates that the rooms will be as open as we want them to be. There's not a specific online racing component as in BOP (at least, I don't think so). Here, races are just one of the several events making up the speed lists that are at the heart of multiplayer, along with FreeDrive.

U2NUMB

If it's anything like BOP online-wise (fingers crossed), there'll be people to play with for a long time. I bought my PS3 in September 2008, more than 6 months after the game's release, and I still had enough online partners to complete the game to 102% and finish all 500 challenges. Granted, the DLC support kept a lot of people interested, but still, it was the core game loops that hooked people.

They're this game's version of XP. Anything you do on any platform earns you some, and they're tallied on your EA/Origin? account to rank you on a global Most Wanted list.

Well you just cost me 40 more dollars. Vita version added to list. Thanks for the info!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I sometimes wonder if people were intimidated by Burnout Paradise just because of the IDEA of this open world city they were racing in. Meaning that they took a wrong turn during a race, and then felt so overwhelmed by the idea that they did something wrong, that they just wanted to give up.

Because in practice the game is always pointing you in the correct direction with the compass at the top of the screen, and even with a wrong turn I could often still win the race. I just loved the freedom it provided. It truly felt like you were racing in a city, and you could choose to take different paths, and sometimes they AI racers would do so themselves. It felt more real because of this.

I booted up Burnout Paradise on the Xbox 360 just this past weekend. Within minutes the lobby was full of players.
I didn't get into BP because trading paint and taking down other vehicles is the whole point of that franchise, and it's hard to do that when everyone goes their separate ways. The game lacked the constant tension of previous BOs because of this.

Driver: SF, on the other hand, cleverly avoided this trap, especially in multiplayer. You can never let your guard down.

crispyben

Well you just cost me 40 more dollars. Vita version added to list. Thanks for the info!
Add yourself to the PSN IDs list then :)

I didn't get into BP because trading paint and taking down other vehicles is the whole point of that franchise, and it's hard to do that when everyone goes their separate ways. The game lacked the constant tension of previous BOs because of this.

Driver: SF, on the other hand, cleverly avoided this trap, especially in multiplayer. You can never let your guard down.
I see what you mean, yet I kept getting taken down while playing BOP... That was definitely not my favorite part of the game (the challenges and stunts were), but it was there anyway, and there were lots of it in SP too.

I loved Driver: SF too, but more for its SP than MP. To each his own I guess.

Is car customization in this time? If not I'm definitely waiting for bomba price on this
There are mods (see OP for details), but I don't think they provide any visual customization. You can drive through a gas station to repaint your car though!

crispyben

Has it been confirmed if the Vita PSN DL will be discounted?
We have close to zero official info about the Vita version, apart from two screens and confirmation that it was developed in-house by Criterion. It doesn't seem to have any kind of pre-order bonuses, no limited edition, no Cross-Buy bundle... If it wasn't for the NYCC -mostly blurry- footage, it could almost be vaporware :p

Addnan

How long did the online survive in Burnout (PC) or Hot Pursuit. I really want to get this on PC, but if the online goes dead quickly would rather get on console.

Nice find! The lighting looks almost next gen to me.

Now someone hook up their framerate analyzer and tell us how things look. :p
The jaggies, unfortunately take more attention than the lighting.... Why not a bit more AA Criterion?
Burnout Paradise was less about learning tracks and more about learning an entire city. Easier said than done.

Don't get me wrong, I had my fun with Burnout Paradise. I just had my share of frustrations with it too.
No you didn't have to learn the city to win races. Learning the city DID help in other events though.
There's almost no traffic cars. :/
Maybe because it's the first 10 minutes of the game. Could depend on the event even.

It's a ghost town. What's going on here.

There's almost no traffic cars. :/

It's possible there are less cars at the very beginning of the game, to help ease the player in?

Regardless, once you get a lot of cops involved, things are going to be plenty chaotic even with the limited regular traffic.

The jaggies, unfortunately take more attention than the lighting.... Why not a bit more AA Criterion?

These are still 7 year old consoles man. There are limits to what is possible here. Personally I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. Can't wait to see it on my own TV.

It's possible there are less cars at the very beginning of the game, to help ease the player in?

Regardless, once you get a lot of cops involved, things are going to be plenty chaotic even with the limited regular traffic.

These are still 7 year old consoles man. There are limits to what is possible here. Personally I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. Can't wait to see it on my own TV.
Forza Horizon!

Anyway, it looks good enough and it will not spoil my fun (much). But it's a shame of those beautiful car models.

Forza Horizon!

Anyway, it looks good enough and it will not spoil my fun (much). But it's a shame of those beautiful car models.

Oh, I see what you did there. ;)

Yes, Forza Horizon is employing 4x anti aliasing, which looks great, but you have to admit that game looks like a quiet library compared to the insanity that can unfold in Most Wanted.

most racing games are about mastering corners. You get plenty of warning by either clearly seeing a corner coming, or having some onscreen indicator like chevrons on the buildings. You don't need to remember that there *is* a corner, you have to remember what kind of corner it is, and how best to approach it.

in Burnout Paradise you had to memorise which bloody street to turn down, all while being smashed into by other cars. It was my biggest problem with the game.

MW looks like it improves on that though.

I loved the racing and I didn't have memorise the tracks either. I just used the flashing street signs to guide me to the end. it worked perfectly and it would occasionally lead me to finding shortcuts and such.

Oh, I see what you did there. ;)

Yes, Forza Horizon is employing 4x anti aliasing, which looks great, but you have to admit that game looks like a quiet library compared to the insanity that can unfold in Most Wanted.
Yeah, very true. I hope they can eliminate those little buggers next gen though.

Top Bottom