• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help finding new router or something to extend wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orkidea

Foreword: I'm not tech savvy

So I'm using the router given by my internet provider. It's in my computer room downstairs and I get good connection in that room but for my family who reside most of the time upstairs, they have horrible connection. And I've noticed certain parts of the house (further away from the router) have the worst connection, sometimes not even connecting.

What are some decent routers I can buy from Best buy to give a better connection throughout the house? Or is there any type of devices I can put upstairs to better connect?

darthbob

If the house is wired for it, then I'd go with a powerline-over-ethernet solution.

That, or a wireless repeater.

DJ_Lae

More powerful router would help, although they can get pricey (I have a Nighthawk, which is probably overkill for most situations).

I also have a little extender that I keep in the basement for a couple of the rooms, as the signal from upstairs has a really tough time penetrating. Feels like the walls are made of lead. One of those is probably your best bet, as they're simple to use and reasonably effective (just get an AC one if you need the speed).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Asus RT-ac68u has been absolutely fantastic for me

used to have difficulty getting signal just outside my house... now i get signal at the top of my street lol

Orkidea

I also have a little extender that I keep in the basement for a couple of the rooms, as the signal from upstairs has a really tough time penetrating. Feels like the walls are made of lead. One of those is probably your best bet, as they're simple to use and reasonably effective (just get an AC one if you need the speed).

So you just plug this into an outlet? And it should do the trick?

Nighthawk like DJ_Lae said. My new house is larger than my last and I was struggling to get signal in certain rooms, bought one of these and it's great. Even get Wifi in the garden now.

If you buy from Amazon and find it's not adequate, you can send it back for a refund no questions asked. I went through three or four routers until I settled on the performance of the Nighthawk.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If it's super long distance go with an extender otherwise find a router with dual band and good range. If you can make sure when you get a good router the rts/cts mechanism is properly enabeld so you aren't killing your wifi peformance.

Nighthawk is solid, not perfect but for for consumers more than enough.

I've been using the Asus RT-AC87 for the past year or so, and it solved all my issues with coverage. It's a bit overkill, but it works, and it works well. Plus it's really dang fast. I've gotten about 900+ Mbps over wi-fi on that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom