• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some PSP/PS3 recommendations

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well I'm thinking of getting this but of course I don't want to splurge a lot so I have to handpick some, need some opinions from you guys:

PS3:
- NiGHTS into Dreams
- Galaga Legions DX
- Digital Devil SaGa and Raidou Kuzunoha games - I don't know if I want to muster up energy to play the non mainline SMT/Persona Atlus games. They're a lot and the last time I played those games (more than 10 years back), I got pretty bored. Plus I don't want to go for too hard games.

PSP/PSVita:
- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Problem is I'm not the biggest fan of tactical games and I've never finished a tactical game because they're way too slow sometimes.
- Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - Same as above
- Dissidia 012: Duodecim - I played the original Dissidia and didn't like it as much. Is this a fighting game or an action RPG? I'm confused. I really want to play action RPGs.
- Legend of Dragoon - Is this any good??
- Persona 3 Portable - I played the OG P3 14 years ago.

Naked Lunch

Gaf needs a PS3/PSP recommendation thread now that the store is confirmed toast and this should be as good as any.

Heres my recommendations from the PS3 store:

Meal Gear Database
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational (PSN-PS3)
Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds (PSN-PS3)
Mamorukun Curse! (PSN-PS3)
Siren (PSN-PS3)

ZanacXzanaC (PS1)
GaiaSeed (PS1)
Suikoden 1, 2, 3, 4 (most forgot these were all released - S4 as late as 2017)
Grandia 1 and 3
Klonoa (PS1)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Strider 2 (PS1)
FF Tactics (PS1)
God Hand (PS2)
Ring of Red (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)

Well I'm thinking of getting this but of course I don't want to splurge a lot so I have to handpick some, need some opinions from you guys:

PS3:
- NiGHTS into Dreams
- Galaga Legions DX
- Digital Devil SaGa and Raidou Kuzunoha games - I don't know if I want to muster up energy to play the non mainline SMT/Persona Atlus games. They're a lot and the last time I played those games (more than 10 years back), I got pretty bored. Plus I don't want to go for too hard games.

PSP/PSVita:
- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Problem is I'm not the biggest fan of tactical games and I've never finished a tactical game because they're way too slow sometimes.
- Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - Same as above
- Dissidia 012: Duodecim - I played the original Dissidia and didn't like it as much. Is this a fighting game or an action RPG? I'm confused. I really want to play action RPGs.
- Legend of Dragoon - Is this any good??
- Persona 3 Portable - I played the OG P3 14 years ago.

My opinions on your list:
FFT and Tactics Ogre are the best the SRPG has to offer. As good as it gets. Im pissed Sony never made those playable on the standalone PS3 console itself like some other PSP games.

Digital Devil Saga is ok. More B or C grade stuff - not as good as mainline SMT. They are unique games though - theres nothing quite like them. DDS1&2 should have been just one game - you pretty much need to play thru both. They good thing is, they are not very long games.

Nights I couldnt imagine playing on a playstation controller, but more power to you - that game is on other platforms.
Never been a fan of that Galaga reboot. Many better shmups to choose from.

Last edited:
Gaf needs a PS3/PSP recommendation thread now that the store is confirmed toast and this should be as good as any.

Heres my recommendations from the PS3 store:

Meal Gear Database
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational (PSN-PS3)
Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds (PSN-PS3)
Mamorukun Curse! (PSN-PS3)
Siren (PSN-PS3)

ZanacXzanaC (PS1)
GaiaSeed (PS1)
Suikoden 1, 2, 3, 4 (most forgot these were all released - S4 as late as 2017)
Grandia 1 and 3
Klonoa (PS1)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Strider 2 (PS1)
FF Tactics (PS1)
God Hand (PS2)
Ring of Red (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)

My opinions on your list:
FFT and Tactics Ogre are the best the SRPG has to offer. As good as it gets. Im pissed Sony never made those playable on the standalone PS3 console itself like some other PSP games.

Digital Devil Saga is ok. More B or C grade stuff - not as good as mainline SMT. They are unique games though - theres nothing quite like them. DDS1&2 should have been just one game - you pretty much need to play thru both. They good thing is, they are not very long games.

Nights I couldnt imagine playing on a playstation controller, but more power to you - that game is on other platforms.
Never been a fan of that Galaga reboot. Many better shmups to choose from.
Suikoden 5 never made it over? Didn't know suikoden 4 got ported, was that to ps4? I own 3, 4 and 5 on ps2. I had suikoden 1 and 2 on ps1 disc before I pawned it all for cash back in the 90s... :(
I have them on digital on my ps1 classic and psp/vita/ps3.

Games I would add (can't get these anymore)
Indies:
Tokyo Jungle
Trash panic
Shatter
Cloudberry kingdom
Gravity Crash

AAA:
Nier
Resistance Series
Killzone Series
Heavenly Sword
Alpha Protocol
Splinter Cell Collection
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Silent Hill Collection
Silent Hill Homecoming (i know many don't like it, I did)

PSP:
FF crisis Core
FF Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Vagrant story (PS1)
Suikodens 1/2 (PS1)
Vandal Hearts (ps1 - don't know if you can even get these on psn).
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legia (don't know if on psn)
Silent Hill 1 (ps1)
Silent Hill origins (psp)
Disgaea 2, 3, and 4
Dissidia 1 and 2
Persona 3 portable
persona 2
Grandia (ps1)
Parasite Eve 1 and 2 (ps1)
Mega man legends 1 and 2, and tron bonne (ps1)
God of war chains of olympus /ghost of sparta
Syphon filter dark
Killzone Liberation
Jeane D'arc
Half minute hero
Ys 7
Legend of Heroes Trials in the sky series (and the original trilogy if you can find them)
Mega man Powered up
Patapon 2
Locoroco 2
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Parasite Eve 3rd birthday
Burnout legends
Castlevania dracula X
GTA Vice city stories
Monster hunter freedom unite

Yeah I loved psp/ps1 era. These stand out to me , but depends on your taste in games.

Mokus

Ratchet: Deadlock (Gladiator in Europe) HD version is digital only. Did not make it in to the Ratchet and Clank HD physical collection.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Patchwork Heroes

Whenever try to recall games I really invested in on the PSP, the first one that always comes to mind is Patchwork Heroes. Whether it's because I really enjoyed it or it frustrated me is up for debate, but ultimately it's worth recommending in one way or another.

FranXico

For those who might have an interest and are not aware, PS Vitas with fw 3.73 can be jailbroken and downgraded.

Not giving any links for obvious reasons.

KiteGr

I have almost all of the above mentioned PSP titles on UMD... Yet I still believe that you should hack your PSP, or go through the way of the Emulator. The noise of the UMDs is unbearable, if the driver still functions after all those years. I can only suggest:
  • Star Ocean First departure & Star Ocean Second Evolution, as those games where never available digitally and glitch when emulated.
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, as it's the most final edition (though the controller is abysmal)
  • Tekken Dark Urrection (the only one with Story mode for Lili and Dragonov)
  • Tales of Eternia.
  • Other Vintage JRPGs like Popolocrois.

As for PS3 games, Here's what comes immediately to mind:
  • Puppeteer.
  • Nier (the Gestalt version is about to be eclipsed)
  • RE: Code Veronica (from PSN) as it's the best version of that game, and the only one with Dynamic Shadows.
  • Virtual Fighter 5 Final something... (from PSN)
  • JRPGs like Resonance of Fate, and Eternal Sonata. as they are unlikely to get re-ported elsewhere.
  • The exclusives like Little Big Planet.
  • Final Fantasy 13 games if you can stomach them.
  • HD collections of PS2 games, like the SLY collection, Jack and Dexter, Metal Gear, Zone of the Enders, Prince of Persia, Ico & Shadow (just for HD Ico), and Tales of Symphonia.

As for the Vita, Sony's support for the console was abysmal and there are few non-ported noteworthy games. You should get:
  • Uncharted: Golden Abys
  • Tales of Innocence
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade (supposedly the best Edition)
  • Soul Sacrifice.
  • Freedom Wars.
When it comes to PS1 and PS2 ports, just Pirate them! Their selection was abysmal in anyway, especially in Europe due to region coding, they are very hard to manage even when bought, and if you emulate them, you can apply fan translations and patches that fix them.

Top Bottom