• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil deGrasse Tyson answers Reddit commenters (long list of interesting answers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

I highly doubt we'll acquire tech to live forever in our lifetime as well(Unless replicating your brain as AI counts).
marrec said:
I'd rather see Ethics taught is all. 'Recognizing Bullshit' is the kind of stock, hokey answer I'd expect from Michio Kaku. Should have answered 'Critical Thinking'.
Don't most BSc have ethics in their curriculum? Learned a lot from that class. It's sad to see students to wave it off as another "bullshit course."

KingGondo

Banned
Actually, I think a Logic class is closer to what he's describing.

It's amazing how many people fall for blatant logical fallacies propagated by politicians and other charlatans.

Man. Fuck this.
Since time slows relative to the speed of light, does this mean that photons are essentially not moving through time at all?
yes. Precisely. Which means ----- are you seated?

Photons have no ticking time at all, which means, as far as they are concerned, they are absorbed the instant they are emitted, even if the distance traveled is across the universe itself.

Photons have no ticking time at all, which means, as far as they are concerned, they are absorbed the instant they are emitted, even if the distance traveled is across the universe itself.

My brain understands this, but at the same time explodes....

Orayn

CueTheMusic said:
My brain understands this, but at the same time explodes....
It starts to click if you look into the math behind it: There's a "gamma factor" tells you how much time dilation an object experiences based on how fast it's moving. At lightspeed, time doesn't pass at all.

marrec

Banned
KingGondo said:
Actually, I think a Logic class is closer to what he's describing.

It's amazing how many people fall for blatant logical fallacies propagated by politicians and other charlatans.

A Critical Thinking class would encompass logic, of course. Most Philosophy 101 courses have a large course of Logic as well.

And ya, I was using 'on the nose' to mean a little forced in it's delivery. Not fake, but not entirely genuine either.

aku:jiki

This guy is always awesome, but I think he's trying too hard to be funny here. Like why does one guy asking about feasible civilian space travel in our lifetime get a flat no, but the other guy gets a yes with a joke?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TheMan said:
Kind of odd that he expects a cure for cancer in 5-10 years.

Not happening.
The difference between an astrophysicist and a microbiologist. Though I imagine that he may be right in terms of a cure for cancer since a lot of money has been thrown at it over the past several decades, but who knows when or if that "cure for all cancer" will occur.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm a huge fan of NDGT and have to say those videos are INCREDIBLY boring. He's learned a lot between then and now. You can see it when he lets himself get completely goofy in those TED interviews, the panel discussions, and those science channel shows in which he's featured. In these, he's clearly green, palms sweaty, rocking back and forth on his heels, and not quite sure what to do with his cadence.

Great to see that he's grown.

On another note, I think Dr. Brian Cox should have had a shot at Cosmos, even though he's already done more or less the same thing with Wonders...; Tyson should just have his own weekly show where he blows our minds, talks about a topic, then rants about why we're all gonna die and America needs to get its shit together. I would love that. Cox has a little more of that orgasmic euphoria I want out of Cosmos, though.

It's so odd. I love this guy. He says plenty of things contrary to my opinion on religion and I think "That's his opinion, he's still awesome" but when Richard Dawkins says something I'm like "Proper knob-head championing against religion"

Think I'm going to buy a few books of his. Love to know more about space and his wit always kills me.

(I still bought Greatest Show on Earth)

YYZ

RankoSD said:

I'm really glad you posted these. Thank you. I've seen some videos of him, but never heard of these lectures. I just went through the first one and I'm excited to go through the rest and some of that guy's youtube channel as well.

natural_dancer

Neo Member
This was amazing.

For any of you that really liked this interview, I would highly recommend his podcast "StarTalk Radio". It's not just Neil, he brings on another few scientists/colleagues, and they talk about pop culture from a science standpoint. He makes it totally accessible, even if you don't have a science background. Most of the time they have a celebrity interview as well.

natural_dancer said:
This was amazing.

For any of you that really liked this interview, I would highly recommend his podcast "StarTalk Radio". It's not just Neil, he brings on another few scientists/colleagues, and they talk about pop culture from a science standpoint. He makes it totally accessible, even if you don't have a science background. Most of the time they have a celebrity interview as well.
Just recently listened to the Morgan Freeman one. Freeman is ... well he's not that bright. But I still enjoyed it nonetheless. NDGT's recent interview on Nerdist podcast was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom