• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

rcl66

...OH GOD

I already have the iOS version of the game. I can't buy it again, can it?
Ah, the memories back when I used to play it at the beach's arcade hall.

How is it on iOS? Debating getting it on there (didn't realize it was out somehow) or waiting for switch.

1upsuper

I've never played Waku Waku 7 but I've been meaning to -- is this a good version, or is the lack of an AES mode (if WW7 had one) a big deal?

So what is everyone using as far as settings tweaks?

I haven't been able to read the whole thread, but I just noticed that the screen filter defaults to 00 instead of Off. Off seems to look a lot nicer to me, removes the vasoline filter. The scan lines look cool, I guess, but I think I'll stick with OFF and with no screen / aspect ratio stretching.

Also the option to add the bits to the far sides that are usually cut off of the screen is nice.

EDIT: Noticing that a lot of youtube videos seem to be stretched fullscreen and it doesn't look bad. Hrmm.

This talk of missing AES modes bums me out a bit. I'm still very thankful to Hamster for getting these games out early on Switch, but if M2 had done these you can bet that they would have made the AES modes available and then some, just sayin.'

Also, these games make me want to finally get a bit of real Neo Geo hardware. What is the least painful to collect (obviously not AES)? I've always wanted a Neo Geo CD system for some reason, they just look ace.

galvatron

This talk of missing AES modes bums me out a bit. I'm still very thankful to Hamster for getting these games out early on Switch but, if M2 had done these you can bet that they would have made the AES modes available and then some, just sayin.'

Also, these games make me want to finally get a bit of real Neo Geo hardware. What is the least painful to collect (obviously not AES)? I've always wanted a Neo Geo CD system for some reason, they just look ace.

I'd guess MVS, but there are some really cheap Neo CD games. Load times scared me off even trying that route years ago, but maybe it's not as bad as I've heard?

antibolo

Banned
This talk of missing AES modes bums me out a bit. I'm still very thankful to Hamster for getting these games out early on Switch but, if M2 had done these you can bet that they would have made the AES modes available and then some, just sayin.'

Start by obtaining a consolized MVS, ie. an Neo Geo arcade board in an enclosure that can be used like a console. Make sure it has an aftermarket firmware that can switch the system to AES mode so you can get the actual home console experience. And then buy regular MVS carts.

True AES consoles are not worth bothering with, the AES carts are expensive as fuck and the market is chock full of bootlegs. And as I said above, it's possible to get all AES features on MVS hardware, anyway.

The Neo Geo CD is neat, but its library is very limited. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are ok with not getting any games from the Neo Geo's later years.

Yikes, the loss of two characters seriously bums me out. Getting second thoughts now.

Well, the weird thing is they're IN single player, but you can't play as em. No real major losses though. One is Bonus-Kun, a sandbag with Ryu's moveset. The other is the final boss, Demon Emperor Fernandez. His moveset is kind of small, but brutally effective. Honestly, he's the only thing that makes me want AES mode added in later. But, you do you. If that's a deal breaker, then so be it. But, I've been told that adding a BIOS toggle could theoretically happen, so who knows.

Besides, the cast of 7 have such weird and interesting moves, you barely miss Bonus-Kun and Fernandez.

1upsuper

Well, the weird thing is they're IN single player, but you can't play as em. No real major losses though. One is Bonus-Kun, a sandbag with Ryu's moveset. The other is the final boss, Demon Emperor Fernandez. His moveset is kind of small, but brutally effective. Honestly, he's the only thing that makes me want AES mode added in later. But, you do you. If that's a deal breaker, then so be it. But, I've been told that adding a BIOS toggle could theoretically happen, so who knows.

Now I'm waffling, haha. I might just go for it. Thank you for your input. M2 seriously should have done these ports instead. :/

Now I'm waffling, haha. I might just go for it. M2 seriously shouldn't have done these ports instead. :/

Seriously, if you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. WW7 is a legit fighter; one of my favorite underrated fighting games. The port is very good, other than no AES option. If nothing else, it's worth it simply because you can play as a two-foot tall sheriff and his mechanic dog driving a robotic tank.

1upsuper

Seriously, if you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. WW7 is a legit fighter; one of my favorite underrated fighting games. The port is very good, other than no AES option. If nothing else, it's worth it simply because you can play as a two-foot tall sheriff and his mechanic dog driving a robotic tank.

Alright, I'm in. Thanks.

M2 should do every port of every classic game, ever. They're the best.
Sounds good to me.

Alright, I'm in. Thanks.

No problem! Word of advice: the ingame manual (in the pause menu) contains movelists for each character. This is super important, as the game itself only shows you three moves per fighter. Most have about 5-6. Also, don't fret about Bonus-Kun; losing to him doesn't count. One more: Fernandez has a super powerful attack with zero startup time. Watch for that.

Fredrik

Threw this together to demonstrate the audio delay. Don't mind the weird video/coloring differences between the two, I was only concerned with audio.

In particular notice the frame where Marco's profile pic flashes from being selected to the time the audio kicks in. On switch it is a few frames delayed. Likewise, the gunshot animation compared to the gunshot sound.

You can see in the full motion comparisons it is subtle, but if you notice it, you notice it.

https://youtu.be/3tMBWKLp6ds
That's bad. Is this issue on all NeoGeo Switch games or just Metal Slug 3?

deleted

Not the same thing. AES mode often has a menu, more like a home console game, and often options unique to that mode such as practice.

edit: explained a little better, the options it gives in the ACA Game Settings menu is more equivalent to flipping Dip switches in the arcade to change some options. Under the hood that is probably technically all AES mode is doing with a slightly more user friendly menu, however AES exposes the full set, where arcade (MVS) is limited to stuff that makes sense for an arcade setting.

vtAARfp.png

UwlFas5.png

Ah, I see.

I can't speak for the MVS game but Neo Turf Masters on NGPC is one of my favorite game ever. Very solid arcade golf game in a pre-Everbybody's Golf era.

I see - well, maybe I'll risk a look, depending on what else launches this week.

Glowsquid

Practice makes perfect. Good players can 1cc this game every time.

I used to love Magician Lord in the arcade. Then I got it for Vita and realized it's basically unplayable with how unfair it is.

FUN FAX about Magician Lord: During development, the game was actually very easy (you could take 6 hits of damage and the levels were much bigger). The game wasn't getting a lot of coinage during location-testing because of that, so the developers panicked and hazphardly cut large chunks of the levels and made the game harder in other ways (reduced the number of hit points, removed 1up item, etc) a few weeks before release. Using a double jump exploit, it's possible to find invisible platforms and unused graphics for the original big levels. It's only a year after release than an ADK employee finally managed to 1CC the final version.

(source of these claims is this french video)

I got a Neo Geo CD recently and I love it! Prices are reasonable for most games, the loading time complaint is overblown for most games (usually one big load at the beginning and that's it, or that and 5-10 seconds loads for games in the 100mb-200 mb range) and the AV/quality is very nice. It is however true that later fighting games have very long loading times and some games like Last Blade 2 and Art of Fighting 3 are massively compromised on the thing. And CD releases stopped after KOF 99 so it's missing a lot of what most people would consider the most desirable Neo Geo games.

Arranged soundtracks and bonus content are neat extra for the games that have them. My hot take is that the Neo CD family is a great way to experience the 1990-1995 library without breaking the bank. But if your primary interest is to play stuff like Metal Slug/Real Bout/KOF then it's not worth it at all.

I got KoF 98 and am struggling to pull off motions on the left joycon's d-pad. Looks like I'll need a pro controller ASAP.

Playing as handheld or with grip? Its not easy on the handheld but if you play with the grip and make sure to keep the lower part of your thumb between all four buttons it might work okay for you.

Thanks to all who gave me advice regarding the Neo Geo CD system. I still want it even though it has a limited library. I have a JAMMA rig/supergun which is MVS compatible so I'm all set if I go that route.

I got KoF 98 and am struggling to pull off motions on the left joycon's d-pad. Looks like I'll need a pro controller ASAP.

Playing as handheld or with grip? Its not easy on the handheld but if you play with the grip and make sure to keep the lower part of your thumb between all four buttons it might work okay for you.

Managed to track down a pro controller so I'll update my previous impression with how it compares after spending some time with it tonight.

Garou

Thanks to all who gave me advice regarding the Neo Geo CD system. I still want it even though it has a limited library. I have a JAMMA rig/supergun which is MVS compatible so I'm all set if I go that route.

Buying a Neo Geo CD? I hope you like monkeys.

Coda

This thread is making me want a MVS cart of Waku Waku 7.

Looks like it's one of the more expensive games though.

There's always the next fighting game Sunsoft made, Astra Superstars which was released only in Japan on the Saturn. It's a favorite of mine, much more than Waku Waku 7 because the action all takes place in the sky throwing typical 2D fighting game conventions out of the window. Definitely check it out!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sunsoftfighters/sunsoftfighters3.htm

Managed to track down a pro controller so I'll update my previous impression with how it compares after spending some time with it tonight.

Strange. My execution is worse on the pro controller d-pad. Way worse, except for dragon punch which improved probably because intentionally stopping on a diagonal is easier. I should point out I vastly prefer an arcade stick for fighters, but I can get by with a d-pad so I'm not exactly sure what is going on here.

The d-pad itself is quite good. Pretty stiff, but has some good click to it. Not Vita-level click and reaction, but solid.

I ran through all the Neo Geo games and expected Metal Slug 3 to be my top pick for the d-pad. While it is good, Shock Troopers stands out the most. It just feels really good to play. I'm sure some will prefer the analog stick here, but the click and throw on it feels really tightly aligned with the pace of the action in Shock Troopers.

So I guess that is my recommendation for anyone who picks up the pro controller. Just play Shock Troopers and don't stop.

If you are picking it up for the fighters maybe see if you can somehow get your hands on one to try it out before dropping $70 if that is your main reason. Maybe it is just how stiff it is and will improve over time for me, hard to say. And your mileage and preference may vary, of course.

Strange. My execution is worse on the pro controller d-pad. Way worse, except for dragon punch which improved probably because intentionally stopping on a diagonal is easier. I should point out I vastly prefer an arcade stick for fighters, but I can get by with a d-pad so I'm not exactly sure what is going on here.

The d-pad itself is quite good. Pretty stiff, but has some good click to it. Not Vita-level click and reaction, but solid.

I ran through all the Neo Geo games and expected Metal Slug 3 to be my top pick for the d-pad. While it is good, Shock Troopers stands out the most. It just feels really good to play. I'm sure some will prefer the analog stick here, but the click and throw on it feels really tightly aligned with the pace of the action in Shock Troopers.

So I guess that is my recommendation for anyone who picks up the pro controller. Just play Shock Troopers and don't stop.

If you are picking it up for the fighters maybe see if you can somehow get your hands on one to try it out before dropping $70 if that is your main reason. Maybe it is just how stiff it is and will improve over time for me, hard to say. And your mileage and preference may vary, of course.

Same here. Really impressed by the d-pad buttons which I thought would be a nightmare pre-launch. I'm having a hard time pulling the dashes of all things in kof98 on the pro controller. I think I need to break it a bit more; feels like snes days again.

deadfolk

It's worth noting that there seems to be some (a lot) of variance on the stiffness of the d-pad.

I've heard people say that theirs is almost unusably stiff, and others whose are not stiff at all. Mine is the latter.

Is Windjammers available? That and Puzzle Bobble would be awesome for 2 player quick fun anywhere.

Windjammers is coming to PS4 and Vita. I think Sony may have struck some sort of deal to have it on their platforms, so I don't think it will appear anywhere else for awhile.

correojon

Windjammers is coming to PS4 and Vita. I think Sony may have struck some sort of deal to have it on their platforms, so I don't think it will appear anywhere else for awhile.

Bummer :( Thanks for letting me know. Hope then Switch gets Puzzle Bobble or one of the Magical Drops, those were really addicting specially in multiplayer.

MouldyK

Bought kof98 and shock troopers. Having these in portable mode is amazing.

I like playing Split Joycon in the lunchroom. I may suck at fighters, but playing KOF 98 1v1 against CPU for £7 is a nice time sink as I never play serious anyway.

Does the difficulty things in the menu change things a lot? Level 4 keeps beating me haha.

Top Bottom