• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Is there a neogeo fighting game that is especially friendly to talentless, fighting game noobs like myself? I've always had an interest in the genre but haven't been able to get over the learning curve. Need a baby's first fighting game that isn't smash bros.
Probably should wait for Pocket Rumble.

Eolz

Is there a neogeo fighting game that is especially friendly to talentless, fighting game noobs like myself? I've always had an interest in the genre but haven't been able to get over the learning curve. Need a baby's first fighting game that isn't smash bros.

To be honest, I'd say no with the current lineup. USF2 will do the trick later on, and you can have a lot of fun by lowering the difficulty of some neogeo games, but SNK's AI is not really noob-friendly. Their systems can be relatively friendly though.

cireza

Lol you're right. I was getting mixed up since these are Neo Geo Arcade ports I was thinking of SNK Arcade games because of the word Arcade. Ha I feel dumb. Doh! (Homer Simpson voice)
Personally my favorite are 1999 and 2000. Might buy one of these, especially 99 as this episode does not require pushing two punches and two kicks for the super attacks.

brainpann

So-im either crazy or having a weird issue.

I was playing a bit if MOTW and created an interupt save. I'd only every noticed the option to do so last night and wanted to try it out. Anyway, today I decided to see how well it worked but after starting up the game, it doesn't actually go to the last fight where the save was made. No biggie, but then I notice all my settings are reset. Again, no biggie but NOW all my Neo Geo games have lost their settings and now I have to reconfig every time I play a game. I'll restart the system and hopefully that helps but has anyone else had this issue?

The Hermit

That's good that you brought that up.

Every time I start a neogeo game I have to go through all the options except once, where suddenly I was in the last boss fight, that I stopped two days ago.

I still don't know how that works properly

What's wrong... I can't see actually

Doesn't come off as well on camera, but pay attention to the scrolling of the trestle bridge:

PcZYMeu.png

Here's the same stage in the PS2 version (via PS3):

https://youtu.be/IJJKDDdU0Ak

brainpann

That's good that you brought that up.

Every time I start a neogeo game I have to go through all the options except once, where suddenly I was in the last boss fight, that I stopped two days ago.

I still don't know how that works properly

Ok-so there must be a bug. I restarted but nothing changed. Still had to redo all my settings so I went ahead and deleted my save data. Now my settings are being saved properly. With that said, I highly advise AGAINST using the interupt save feature. It's borked.

Neff

https://youtu.be/e2ydcbdYai0

I don't think the background's supposed to look that way...

Shows it a little better-

MouVFB.gif

It's much more noticeable when playing, unfortunately. It looks really bad.

Breakers/Breakers Revenge has a very fun, outwardly simple quality to it. The moves are super easy to do, there's not too many of them, combos are incredibly loose/flexible, and the pace of play is nice and fast which means it gets hectic and enjoyable even without on-point execution. Of course you can go deep should you want to, but it's good, flashy fun for a novice. Baby's first fighting game describes it pretty well.

But it's not out on Switch (yet).

steveovig

Out of Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, or Alpha Mission, what do you guys recommend for someone looking for a not-too complex shooter? Blazing Star was my first choice but I hear it has a complex scoring method that I'm not sure I'm in the mood for. I just played MS1 on the PS2 and had some fun with it, so I figure MS3 would be fun.

Also, can high scores be compared among friends?

Neff

Hamster is still no M2. At least they patch the games at one point.

Hamster have done patches in response to complaints for Arcade Archives titles on PS4 and Switch, and their ports are still pretty good for the most part. I don't think anyone would dispute that M2 are still the kings of this sort of thing, though.

Neo turf masters is incredible.

Oh yes.

That's improper emulation of the cpu speed, mame used to do exactly the same thing but was fixed about 7 years ago as the accuracy improved.

Now you mention it I remember it happening when I first tried to emulate it in MAME all those years ago.

Out of Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, or Alpha Mission, what do you guys recommend for someone looking for a not-too complex shooter? Blazing Star was my first choice but I hear it has a complex scoring method that I'm not sure I'm in the mood for. I just played MS1 on the PS2 and had some fun with it, so I figure MS3 would be fun.

Alpha Mission II is just as hardcore and in-depth as Blazing Star, it's just more subtle about it. Personally I think Blazing Star is more fun to play as a traditional straight survival shooter, but it's also a fantastic score game if you ever want to go down that route. Metal Slug 3 is rock fucking hard and requires extensive memorisation of stage/enemy layout to avoid endless deaths and credit spam.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shows it a little better-

MouVFB.gif

It's much more noticeable when playing, unfortunately. It looks really bad.

Breakers/Breakers Revenge has a very fun, outwardly simple quality to it. The moves are super easy to do, there's not too many of them, combos are incredibly loose/flexible, and the pace of play is nice and fast which means it gets hectic and enjoyable even without on-point execution. Of course you can go deep should you want to, but it's good, flashy fun for a novice. Baby's first fighting game describes it pretty well.

But it's not out on Switch (yet).

OMFG that is ABYSMAL this is really not done

I got a 3D printing service to print the version 1.5 d-pads a while ago. I haven't tested 1.6 yet.

IMG20170509185537.jpg

IMG20170509185221.jpg

I found that attaching it with sticky tack or blue-tac held up the best, but it still wanted to come off when playing KOF '98.

Out of all of them the Megadrive/Genesis pad was the best. But I think all the d-pads are too big for my preference. I found it hard to hit diagonals because I had to sweep around a larger area than I normally like. This seems to be an issue related to the spread of the Switch d-buttons.

1.6 had a couple of smaller d-pads in the files, so I might get those at a later date.

kbohs

Picked up Blazing Star yesterday after work. I wasn't really feeling it, despite considering myself decent at shmups (I can 1CC Crimzon Clover on Normal/Arcade fairly reliably). I felt like I was dying too often by colliding with enemies that appeared out of nowhere and they were soaking up my shots like a sponges. I also really hated how some of the bosses would force you into a corner with impossible to dodge beams or by their movement and then just crush you, it didn't really seem fair but I guess that is just part of the memorization required in this genre (although I don't find that type of memorization to be very fun - as opposed to memorizing enemy waves to maximize score).

Long story short I switched to the auto rapid fire mode and am enjoying the game much more. I've almost cleared it on difficulty three with 3 credits. Is this considered "cheating"? The rapid fire seems way more powerful than charging in most cases and since I couldn't reliably pull it off with the default control scheme I imagine it wasn't meant to be used all the time. Should I just HTFU and play the game normally? How does this option effect the leader board scoring?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I've (re)bought all releases so far (bar KOFs) and damn I didn't remember Over Top to be such a dud! Bring on Neo Drift Out and even Thrash Rally!

But man, I really wish Hamster would speak about:

•Introducing the freaking scanlines without the horrible BLUR filter. Games look awesome on the Switch but goddamn at the smear, too bad cause these games are intended to be played with scanlines (what's the big difference between A and B tho?).

•The slowdowns are far from arcade perfect and waaaaay too heavy on games like Alpha Mission and especially Blazing Star even in 1p mode.

Did anyone ask them on Twitter or something?
Wish Digital Foundry made an article although I want them to keep selling great and have eventually a huge library.

Introducing the freaking scanlines without the horrible BLUR filter. Games look awesome on the Switch but goddamn at the smear, too bad cause these games are intended to be played with scanlines (what's the big difference between A and B tho?.

A and B puts the scanline on an odd or even line.

The "smear" is bilinear filtering, necessary as the games dont support integer scaling (which is a ridiculous omission). Without it you would clearly see that the scanlines are not the same width and would look really bad.

D.Lo

Yeah the blur is 900% the worst thing about these. I'm stuck playing chunky pixel mode but would vastly prefer light scan lines with no blur.

The "smear" is bilinear filtering, necessary as the games dont support integer scaling (which is a ridiculous omission). Without it you would clearly see that the scanlines are not the same width and would look really bad.
Oh jebus.

Now you can't integer scale 240p to 1080p, this is why scan line filters look bad even on XRGB at 1080p. But you can do windowed 960 vertically (horiz scaling can be whatever since no scanlines), with just a bit of a window.

720p is an integer multiple however so it should be the easiest thing in the world.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wasn't prepared for the Engrish exposition dump ending of Blazing Star.

Great game I have barely scratched the surface of it feels like. Each ship is vastly different!

btrboyev

I got a 3D printing service to print the version 1.5 d-pads a while ago. I haven't tested 1.6 yet.

IMG20170509185537.jpg

IMG20170509185221.jpg

I found that attaching it with sticky tack or blue-tac held up the best, but it still wanted to come off when playing KOF '98.

Out of all of them the Megadrive/Genesis pad was the best. But I think all the d-pads are too big for my preference. I found it hard to hit diagonals because I had to sweep around a larger area than I normally like. This seems to be an issue related to the spread of the Switch d-buttons.

1.6 had a couple of smaller d-pads in the files, so I might get those at a later date.

Seems like a huge waste of time and resources. Go pick up a pro controller and be done with it

Is it me or was a much bigger deal made of MOTW release on PS4? I know that version has online play but I didn't even know about this version of MOTW until I just randomly decided to go to the eshop today.

Eolz

Just noticed that glitch on Terry's stage, definitely an emulation issue yeah. Looks pretty bad, hopefully they'll fix it :/
Such a fantastic game.

Is it me or was a much bigger deal made of MOTW release on PS4? I know that version has online play but I didn't even know about this version of MOTW until I just randomly decided to go to the eshop today.

A bigger deal was made of the PS4 release due to online and not being just a port of the arcade version yeah, which is normal.
The best version is still the 360 version anyway (which is BC on X1). Similar features, less input lag, and I've heard it looks slightly better too (didn't really notice a difference).

BizzyBum

So far I have:

Shock Troopers
KOF 98
Turf Masters
Metal Slug

Any new must-haves?

edit: Also, is there some settings guide someone makes for each game? There's so much to change that I wonder if certain games benefit changing certain settings.

Timu

So far I have:

Shock Troopers
KOF 98
Turf Masters
Metal Slug

Any new must-haves?

edit: Also, is there some settings guide someone makes for each game? There's so much to change that I wonder if certain games benefit changing certain settings.
Garou Mark of the Wolves.

So far I have:

Shock Troopers
KOF 98
Turf Masters
Metal Slug

Any new must-haves?

Metal Slug 3
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Blazing Star

The Neo Geo game I want more than any other on Switch is Baseball Stars 2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Games that I want the most are:

Neo Drift Out (never got an AES version either)

Aero Fighters 2

Baseball Stars 2

Last Resort

Last Blade 2

Twinkle Star Sprite

Football Frenzy

Windjammers

Having all these Neo Geo games on the go on Switch is what dreams are made of. I want to collect them all, lol.

Same, really been enjoying a lot of these games I never got to play. I want my Switch to be my go-to for nostalgic/retro gaming. It's just so damn perfect for it.

Weebos

Banned
I see these games on the eshop and have no frame of reference for them.

Are any of these RPGs?

Are any of these fighting games decent singleplayer games?

Any recommendations for somebody who doesn't even know what a Neo Geo is?

Chindogg

I see these games on the eshop and have no frame of reference for them.

Are any of these RPGs?

Are any of these fighting games decent singleplayer games?

Any recommendations for somebody who doesn't even know what a Neo Geo is?

They're all arcade games, so no RPGs.

The fighting games are based on arcade so barebones for single player content.

jackal27

Banned
I love these games so much, but boy do they really have to be $8 apiece? I feel like I'd spend less than that beating most of them in an arcade.

Coda

I love these games so much, but boy do they really have to be $8 apiece? I feel like I'd spend less than that beating most of them in an arcade.

I agree I think $6 would be that sweet spot price. But still regardless $8 bucks for a quality port vs hundreds of dollars for the actual game and having it on the go or on the TV is still an awesome thing.

jackal27

Banned
I agree I think $6 would be that sweet spot price. But still regardless $8 bucks for a quality port vs hundreds of dollars for the actual game and having it on the go or on the TV is still an awesome thing.
This is very true and how I've justified buying a few them. It's also just hard when I've bought collections with these games in them for like $20 or some of them on my Nvidia Shield for like $2

Top Bottom