• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

urmie

I think at this point, with all these classics released on all consoles, Hamster should do a bundle deal or something.

firenze

maybe a silly question but any idea if they will ever implement aes bios ?

Not that crazy of an idea, I can't imagine it would be that difficult to do... but I've never seen any indication Hamster has any plans to do that.

While we're on technical notes, what I'd like to see the most is Hamster updating all of the releases to include the MUCH better scanline filters they've been using more recently in the normal Arcade Archives series. The Neo Geo games' scanline settings forcing you to use the gross smudge-filter is annoying, and causes me to take all filters off even though I'd prefer some well implemented scanlines.

I think at this point, with all these classics released on all consoles, Hamster should do a bundle deal or something.

Yeah, it does seem like they have some good opportunity to do bundles. We're at 84 Neo Geo games as of today's release of Football Frenzy, so I could see not doing ALL of them in one-mega bundle (though hey, that would be kinda cool too). But something like series bundles for stuff like Fatal Fury, King of Fighters (once the whole series is out, or maybe split into two packs), Art of Fighting, World Heroes, a sports game pack, a shooter pack, a puzzle game pack...

I could see that happening in 2019 once they run out of Neo Geo games to release. Might as well do something to try to keep generating money from these games they're already released.

Cyberlip is awesome!

Heck yeah it is! This is one of the most exciting releases for me in the entire ACA Neo Geo series!

1) It's a really fun game.
2) To my knowledge, the game had never been ported to any other system until this year with its recent inclusion on the Neo Geo Mini microconsole, and now this ACA Neo Geo release.
3) It's basically a Metal Slug predecessor, so fans of that series or of run-and-gun shooters in general will probably be especially interested.

I've seen it stated online that some Cyber-Lip staff (who may have been ex-Irem employees) actually ended up working on Metal Slug. That's not hard to believe, though I haven't seen much in the way of specifics to back it up and whether these people were key team members (and the 80s-90s Japanese trend of crediting developers with nicknames instead of real names makes it even harder to figure out who is who). In any case, the similarities between the games aren't hard to detect. Cyber-Lip isn't quite as similar to Metal Slug as Irem's GunForce 2 (aka GeoStorm) though... GunForce2 is absolutely Metal Slug 0 through and through, and after its release most of the team who developed it quit Irem and formed Nazca, where they made Metal Slug.

Last edited:
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection will be updated with 10 additional games pre-dating the NeoGeo era through free post-launch downloadable content, publisher NIS America announced.

The following five titles were confirmed:

• Chopper I
  • Fantasy
  • Munch Mobile
  • Sasuke vs. Commander
  • Time Soldiers
The remaining five games will be announced at a later date.

Hudo

This converter is quite good if you already own a stick.

If you don't own a stick at all, HORI has a stick for Switch. The build quality is excellent.
Brook also makes some lag-free converters. That's what I use on my Switch:

Switch converter for PS3/PS4 sticks: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/10323791/
Switch converter for Xbox 360/One sticks: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/01745934/

I tried the 8bitdo stick and hated it. Returned it and would not recommend. Go with the HORI if you're interested in buying a native Switch stick.
Maybe an idiotic question but will Windjammers (and Windjammers 2) be compatible with an arcade stick on Switch?

dirthead

Banned
Never liked Cyberlip. Contra 3 came out only a year after it and completely wiped the floor with it, which is embarrassing given how much better the Neo Geo hardware was. And Gunstar Heroes, of course, trashes both of them.

I've always dreamed abouta Gunstar heroes caliber game with Metal Slug caliber art. Too bad it'll never happen.

firenze

Wow, awesome and somewhat surprising news from TGS... Puzzle Bobble AND Puzzle Bobble 2 are coming to ACA Neo Geo on Switch. Source: Hamster's Twitter. Didn't know whether we'd see those, since they are Taito games (i.e., part of Square Enix) so may have had some additional licensing concerns. Good news though, truly excellent puzzle games. Not sure about release dates, but might be very soon since there had been nothing confirmed for next week and Hamster hasn't taken a week off since the Switch released last year.

Will update further if more news comes out of Hamster's TGS stage show going on right now.

firenze

Hamster pulled out some TGS surprises and ultra-obscurities for ACA Neo Geo announcements... In addition to the earlier announced Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble 2, they're going to release:

The King of Fighters 2001 - this one was pretty much inevitable, but nice to see

Zupapa! - Another game developed by Face (who also developed Money Puzzle Exchanger and Gururin). Zupapa! is very much in the mold of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros, and a worthy entry in that subgenre of single screen colorful platformers. Once Face's Neo Geo puzzle games showed up in the ACA Neo Geo line, Zupapa! was a lot more likely... but it was still a pretty obscure release. Mostly completed in the relatively early days of the Neo Geo but never released after Face went bankrupt, until SNK put it out in 2001 on MVS only (no AES home cart version, same as Face's other Neo Geo games).

3 Count Bout (aka Fire Suplex) - an SNK release with no apparent licensing concerns, this was a given. Wrestling game with nice graphics and huge characters, but the vicious AI really hurts this game.

Pleasure Goal (aka Futsal) - a Saurus/SNK game, so not too surprising in that regard since we've seen a lot of Saurus games... but man, this is a pretty deep cut from the Neo library so I wasn't assuming it was a given. 5-on-5 small field soccer game, super fast paced and action packed. Perhaps fans of Windjammers might enjoy this one.

Savage Reign - SNK's semi-forgotten fighting game series (though it has seen re-releases). Not a bad game though, and I kinda dig the character designs and general look of the game. Overshadowed by its tag-based sequel, Kizuna Encounter (most famous/infamous for the outrageous prices its ultra rate European AES cartridge version has sold for).

Strikers 1945 Plus - Very surprising to me to see this one. Psikyo's vertizontal (vertical scrolling, horizontal monitor orientation) Neo Geo remix of Strikers 1945 II. I was not expecting it, given ZeroDiv's releases of most of the notable Psikyo shooters including Strikers 1945 II. I'd say Strikers II is also the better version, but the Neo port is an interesting curiosity.

Bullet Club

Here's the next batch of Neo Geo games coming to the eShop.
  • Puzzle Bobble
  • Puzzle Bobble 2
  • Thrash Rally
  • Stakes Winner 2
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • Neo Geo Cup '98
  • Twinkle Star Sprites

Here's the next batch of Neo Geo games coming to the eShop.
  • Puzzle Bobble
  • Puzzle Bobble 2
  • Thrash Rally
  • Stakes Winner 2
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • Neo Geo Cup '98
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
Where is my Baseball Stars 2? Surprised it's taking so long.

Puzzle Bobble is great though.

firenze

Next two ACA Neo Geo releases:

December 13: Metal Slug 5
December 20: Puzzle Bobble

Puzzle Bobble 2 is the only other announced game so far, no confirmation on date (would not surprise me if it comes at some point a little further in the future though, instead of the week after the first game)

Assuming there's a December 27 release, that will be release #100 in the ACA Neo Geo line! Fortunately, the vast majority of the Neo Geo library has already been released! Unfortunately, that means this series looks like it will be wrapping up in the relatively near future since we'll be out of Neo Geo games.

There are still a handful of SNK/ADK titles that are practically a sure thing for future release, including:
- Baseball Stars 2
- Kizuna Encounter
- KOF 2002
- KOF 2003
- Ninja Master's
- Samurai Shodown V Special
- Ultimate 11 (Super Sidekicks 4)

Beyond those, we're looking at a fairly small number of remaining Neo Geo games, with significantly less likelihood of release due mostly to licensing issues/questions. Ragnagard/Shin-ou-ken, Eightman, Kabuki Klash, SVC Chaos, Rage of the Dragons, Windjammers, Matrimelee, Viewpoint, etc. Maybe some Technos stuff (Double Dragon, Super Dodgeball, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer) or Taito's non-Puzzle Bobble games for Neo Geo (Puzzle de Pon, Pochi & Nyaa), perhaps Hamster will get a license for Visco's games (~10 Neo Geo releases). Maybe some Neo CD exclusive games like Ironclad (got a Wii Virtual console release!) or Crossed Swords 2. That's about it!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Next two ACA Neo Geo releases:

December 13: Metal Slug 5
December 20: Puzzle Bobble

Puzzle Bobble 2 is the only other announced game so far, no confirmation on date (would not surprise me if it comes at some point a little further in the future though, instead of the week after the first game)

Assuming there's a December 27 release, that will be release #100 in the ACA Neo Geo line! Fortunately, the vast majority of the Neo Geo library has already been released! Unfortunately, that means this series looks like it will be wrapping up in the relatively near future since we'll be out of Neo Geo games.

There are still a handful of SNK/ADK titles that are practically a sure thing for future release, including:
- Baseball Stars 2
- Kizuna Encounter
- KOF 2002
- KOF 2003
- Ninja Master's
- Samurai Shodown V Special
- Ultimate 11 (Super Sidekicks 4)

Beyond those, we're looking at a fairly small number of remaining Neo Geo games, with significantly less likelihood of release due mostly to licensing issues/questions. Ragnagard/Shin-ou-ken, Eightman, Kabuki Klash, SVC Chaos, Rage of the Dragons, Windjammers, Matrimelee, Viewpoint, etc. Maybe some Technos stuff (Double Dragon, Super Dodgeball, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer) or Taito's non-Puzzle Bobble games for Neo Geo (Puzzle de Pon, Pochi & Nyaa), perhaps Hamster will get a license for Visco's games (~10 Neo Geo releases). Maybe some Neo CD exclusive games like Ironclad (got a Wii Virtual console release!) or Crossed Swords 2. That's about it!
Still waiting/hoping for Neo Drift Out: New Technology (Visco). :messenger_weary:

There's hope, as Vasara got it's own announcement for PC and consoles earlier this year.

But at least they put out Magical Drop III and Twinkle Star which are my two other favorite Neo Geo titles.

firenze

Yeah, I'm really hoping Hamster has something in the works with Visco. Seems someone is still around and licensing their stuff out, so there's some hope! Neo Drift Out would be cool indeed, as would Breakers Revenge, Ganryu, and Andro Dunos.

That Vasara 1&2 pack looks sweet too - was so unexpected to see those getting remastered after never getting a console release at all back in their day!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, I'm really hoping Hamster has something in the works with Visco. Seems someone is still around and licensing their stuff out, so there's some hope! Neo Drift Out would be cool indeed, as would Breakers Revenge, Ganryu, and Andro Dunos.

That Vasara 1&2 pack looks sweet too - was so unexpected to see those getting remastered after never getting a console release at all back in their day!
My gut says that Play-Asia might do something with 'em. They've offered Andro Dunos, Breakers (on Dreamcast), and Ganryu (also on DC).

Fingers crossed! :messenger_grimmacing_

firenze

I actually have one of the weird "officially licensed" AES Breakers Revenge carts, which supposedly was licensed by Visco several years ago to a French distributor (NCI, sold through Neo Ayato or other related distributors). It's a shady saga though, that caused quite a bit of controversy in the hardcore Neo collector community... the group who licensed these games was involved in straight up bootlegs in the past, and apparently these more recent Visco games used re-purposed MVS ROM chips on a new circuit board, with new slipcover art, cases, and AES cart shells - though it seems they really did have Visco's blessing. Doesn't necessarily bother me so much as long as people understand what they're getting, but it's definitely a grey area.

And yeah, those weird Play-Asia DC releases too, and the Vasara HD stuff... long story short is that it seems to establish that someone is still making license deals for Visco IP, so that makes me hold out hope that a company as legitimate as Hamster can get something done.

Last edited:

firenze

Annnd the next batch is announced, without major surprises. Dates unconfirmed beyond Puzzle Bobble on December 20, but probably a good chance they're in the order announced.

Puzzle Bobble - December 20
Puzzle Bobble 2 - December 27?
The King of Fighters 2002 - January 3?
Ragnagard (aka Shin-ou-ken) - January 10?
The Ultimate 11 (aka Super Sidekicks 4) - January 17?
Ninja Master's - January 24?
Kizuna Encounter - January 31?

Ragnagard is the only one on that list that wasn't plainly obvious, but even that wasn't a massive surprise as a Saurus developed game.

Now we're down to only a VERY small list of remaining games that are highly likely to come to this series. By my estimation: Baseball Stars 2, KOF 2003, and Samurai Shodown V Special (all three are SNK games, all have been re-released over the years and have no apparent licensing issues). Everything else is a little more doubtful, mostly due to licensing concerns. Here's hoping Hamster works something out with Visco or some of the other companies, like maybe Taito or Technos for their remaining Neo Geo games, Sega for Viewpoint or Matrimelee (if they have the rights to that via Atlus, it's a really weird case from a licensing position and I'm not sure who actually owns the rights), working something out with Capcom for a SVC Chaos release... but we're pretty clearly entering the final stretch now.

I should have kept up with the releases. I kind of want to own all of them which would make my Switch a portable MVS system. Now the price to get them all is too high in one guy. I'm still tempted though.

firenze

If they ever have a sale... could go crazy! It would be truly epic if they do like a 50% off eShop sale on the entire ACA line at once.

I have kept up with the weekly releases, currently 99/99 games. I realize some people may find that crazy, but this is Neo Geo land so it's all relative - I am perfectly fine with the cost since I sold most of my AES collection last year. For some of the high value games, the proceeds from one AES cart alone funded the entire ~$800 for the current 99 ACA Neo Geo releases. Fair trade in my eyes!

Mecha Meow

I should have kept up with the releases. I kind of want to own all of them which would make my Switch a portable MVS system. Now the price to get them all is too high in one guy. I'm still tempted though.

Shit, I'm still holding out for an eventual physcial collection for these games. I'm a patient cheapskate.

I've only purchased Waku Waku 7 and Pulstar and its staying that way until a massive sale happens or a cheap collection happens.

A custom MVS and a 161-in-1 cart would only be around $400-$500 judging by eBay. Still, I would rather jump all in on these Switch releases I think. Really hoping for a holiday sale.

I can't believe they are saving Baseball Stars 2 for last.

Last edited:

firenze

So, I just noticed today that Arc System Works (who acquired the now defunct Technos Japan's portfolio of IP back in 2015) has a Technos section on their website at http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/technos/archive/. Strangely, they don't list any of the Technos Neo Geo games: Double Dragon, Super Dodge Ball, and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer... If anyone happens to be aware of any further details, would be interesting to hear.

Of the remaining Neo Geo games that could get the ACA treatment, I'm especially curious about these ones since they seem to have a pretty realistic shot of being licensed:
(1) Hamster obviously has a good working relationship with the current Technos IP holders, as is apparent from other releases in the Arcade Archives line (Double Dragon I & II, Mat Mania, Renegade, etc.)
(2) Even aside from the Arcade Archives games, ASW is still quite active in licensing older Technos IP to others. For instance, they've been part of Nintendo Switch Online from the start with the NES ports of Double Dragon, River City Ransom, and Super Dodge Ball.

Here's hoping... perhaps we'll get an announcement that the Technos games will come to the series in 2019! Super Dodge Ball in particular is fantastic and would be great to see since it has always been very obscure - it was Technos Japan's last game before going under, so production was limited and it's on the rare side. Extremely colorful with awesome expressive sprites, and the gameplay just works as a perfect style for an arcade sports game.

I always liked both of the 1-on-1 fighters too, even if some might consider them kind of generic mid-90s fighting games. Double Dragon arguably didn't get a fair shake just since it was a 1-on-1 fighter instead of the traditional Double Dragon belt scroller style game. Gowcaizer's style is so 90s anime it hurts (and they actually made an anime adaptation of the game...) but if you're into that it's a competent game.

Last edited:

firenze

Just a quick note that last week's release of KOF 2002 was a milestone: the 100th game in the Switch ACA Neo Geo series!

Ragnagard (Shin-ou-ken) is this week's game. Most notable for using pre-rendered 3D polygons, for a visual look much like Killer Instinct. It plays kinda slow and choppy, but retains some interest mostly as a curiosity due to the unique stylistic approach. Not really recommended as a great fighter though.

Ragnagard is also kinda interesting in that the Neo Geo version has very rarely been ported in the past (it showed up on Wii Virtual Console in Japan only), so it's nice to see the game at least making an appearance here as a rarity. It did have a slightly modified Neo Geo CD release, and a Saturn port that's almost an alternate version with pretty significant visual changes - but this ACA release is the Neo arcade/AES game in it's original form.

Last edited:
I don't see this week's game up. It usually goes up at noon.

Edit: NVM. It's there. I forgot Switch shop has a rolling release.

Last edited:

firenze

In honor of Ragnagard having been released this week, here's a fascinating interview with one of the key developers, Akihiro Takanami (aka "Powudon", or "Hiroaki Fujimoto" as he's credited via an alias in Ragnagard). Gets into some of the behind the scenes details of developing for System Vision in the 90s, from Power Athlete (aka Deadly Moves) for Mega Drive/Genesis, to Battle Master for Super Famicom, then Ragnagard for Neo Geo and Saturn. It's rare to see the kind of insight on display in this interview from a 90s Japanese dev, so makes for a great read.

As for Switch ACA releases, Ultimate 11 is confirmed as next week's game (January 10).

ScOULaris

Does anyone know what the Audio Quality setting does? It seems to act like some kind of equalizer, with the Average setting seemingly boosting all sound frequencies up equally, resulting in a louder overall sound. But I also feel like I'm noticing a bit more audio distortion when enabling it. I might be imagining things though.

Also, is there any additional input delay introduced by the extra audio processing with this setting enabled?

firenze

So, Kizuna Encounter was actually today's release in JP and NA regions, not Ultimate 11. I saw Ultimate 11 reported elsewhere a couple days ago and figured that was a Nintendo announcement or JP eShop "Coming Soon" - whoops, maybe not!

Kizuna Encounter is one of the more interesting "under the radar" Neo fighters, mainly due to its real time tag battle mechanic (as opposed to switching after a round like KOF '94-2002). Interesting fact: Kizuna actually released in Japan on September 20, 1996... a mere 5 days before X-Men vs. Street Fighter hit Japanese arcades - XvSF being the game most 90s fighting game fans would think of as one of the first major tag battle games. It's interesting that SNK actually put out a sequel to the rather unmemorable Savage Reign, and made such bold gameplay changes. I like the logic of the game system, with A/B/C serving as punch/kick/weapon attacks, and D acting as the tag button... but only when you're in your tag zone. Sprites are big and colorful, although the backgrounds and UI are a bit bland (in major contrast to XvSF).

Worth a play at least, to see one of the more obscure first party SNK fighting game releases. The 2 game series is really the unloved stepchild of SNK first party fighting games. Although Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter have seen previous ports (including the Fu'un Super Combo series package on PS2 in Japan, later appearing worldwide on PS4 via PSN), it certainly hasn't been as visible as the more well known SNK series like KOF, Fatal Fury, SamSho, or even Art of Fighting and Last Blade.

If anything, Kizuna's biggest claims to fame are probably:
1) the extraordinary prices the ultra-rare European AES cart has sold for. We're talking $12,000+ (EU version only, the Japanese/US carts are pricey but nowhere near that), probably the most valuable game for a system notorious for expensive software. The $7.99 asking price on Switch seems like quite a bargain in comparison :)

2) Hayate and Jyazu making appearances as playable fighters in KOF XI, and King Lion showing up in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

Does anyone know what the Audio Quality setting does? It seems to act like some kind of equalizer, with the Average setting seemingly boosting all sound frequencies up equally, resulting in a louder overall sound. But I also feel like I'm noticing a bit more audio distortion when enabling it. I might be imagining things though.

Also, is there any additional input delay introduced by the extra audio processing with this setting enabled?

I messed with the Audio Quality a bit on some of the early series releases, but now I tend not to touch it. Like you said, seems like it's just an equalizer but I also didn't necessarily love the results due to the distortion, gave me a pretty echo-y sound. Might have just been my setup, so if anyone has tips on how to best calibrate it to sound good, please share! Otherwise, I'll leave it off just like I ignore the garbage scanline/filter options on the ACA Neo Geo games (WHY couldn't they do GOOD scanlines like Hamster has on a lot of the non-Neo Geo Arcade Archives games??? This is my biggest hope for a future patch to existing ACA Neo Geo games...)

I never noticed any additional input delay when I did change the sound settings, though admittedly I wasn't giving it a ton of attention.

Last edited:

firenze

Today is a milestone... the first weekly Switch eShop update since system launch with no ACA Neo Geo release. EU/JP had 5 Neo Geo games at system launch on March 3, 2017 (KOF '98, Waku Waku 7, Metal Slug 3, Shock Troopers, and World Heroes Perfect). NA got those 5 slightly delayed on March 9, along with the global release of NAM '1975. All regions received simultaneous releases of one Neo Geo game per week for the following 97 weeks.

Sad to see it's coming to an end soon, but what an impressive and consistent run. We do have two previously confirmed future releases: Ultimate 11 and Puzzle Bobble 2. Also a couple of near certainties in KOF 2003 and Baseball Stars 2, and probably Samurai Shodown 5 Special - all of which are SNK properties that have been re-released... But beyond that, any future Neo games are likely down to whether Hamster can arrange licensing from the likes of Visco, Arcsys (for the former Technos properties), Taito, Konami (the Hudson games), etc.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
They’re really milking this Baseball Stars 2 wait. I mean, I have it on my MAME cab and on the PSP collection, but I want it on my Switch.

Come on SNK. Don’t make me beg.

firenze

I wonder if they're intentionally holding it back until nearer to the start of baseball season in Japan and the U.S. (like, say, a March release)? Would be kinda annoying, but not terribly surprising.

And if we assume the already announced Ultimate 11 and Puzzle Bobble 2 get released first, the earliest we could even hope is Feb. 14. If Hamster takes any more weeks off, or adds more games like KOF 2003 that come out first... we're basically into March.

At this point it's becoming almost funny, in a twisted way. People have been clamoring for Baseball Stars 2 for ages... is it gonna be the last release in this whole series? XD

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I wonder if they're intentionally holding it back until nearer to the start of baseball season in Japan and the U.S. (like, say, a March release)? Would be kinda annoying, but not terribly surprising.

And if we assume the already announced Ultimate 11 and Puzzle Bobble 2 get released first, the earliest we could even hope is Feb. 14. If Hamster takes any more weeks off, or adds more games like KOF 2003 that come out first... we're basically into March.

At this point it's becoming almost funny, in a twisted way. People have been clamoring for Baseball Stars 2 for ages... is it gonna be the last release in this whole series? XD
Yeah, I think they are waiting to release it last as they know it is one of their most popular games.

Unless they are doing a remake...

New batch of games:

• Tokuten Ou – Honoo no Libero (The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship)
  • The King of Fighters 2003
  • Baseball Stars
  • Samurai Spirits Zero SPECIAL (Samurai Shodown V Special)
  • IKARI (Ikari Warriors)
  • Image Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Elevator Action
  • Butasan
  • Karate Dou (Karate Champ)
  • Psycho Soldier
  • ??? (a mystery Tecmo title was also teased)
Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/182803768279

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
New batch of games:

• Tokuten Ou – Honoo no Libero (The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship)
  • The King of Fighters 2003
  • Baseball Stars
  • Samurai Spirits Zero SPECIAL (Samurai Shodown V Special)
  • IKARI (Ikari Warriors)
  • Image Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Elevator Action
  • Butasan
  • Karate Dou (Karate Champ)
  • Psycho Soldier
  • ??? (a mystery Tecmo title was also teased)
Source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/182803768279
Baseball Stars 1? Fuck me...

firenze

Baseball Stars is obviously a typo, since that game was already released on Switch in May 2018. It's gotta be Baseball Stars 2.

These announcements were actually rather predictable - as I noted two months ago (when Ultimate 11 had already been announced):
Now we're down to only a VERY small list of remaining games that are highly likely to come to this series. By my estimation: Baseball Stars 2, KOF 2003, and Samurai Shodown V Special

I doubt there are any more Neo Geo games currently in the pipeline, based on this group finishing up all of the games that Hamster may realistically have had an opportunity to license. Obviously that could change if they acquire some new licenses. Most notable potential licensors include:

- Visco: By far the biggest Neo Geo publisher whose games have not appeared in the ACA Neo Geo series. The company appears to still have been active in licensing their IP relatively recently, so perhaps there's a chance. They were responsible for 12 Neo Geo games: Andro Dunos, Battle Flip Shot, Breakers, Breakers Revenge, Captain Tomaday, Ganryu, Goal! Goal! Goal!, Neo Drift Out, Neo Mr. Do!, Pop'n Bounce. Also Puzzle de Pon and Puzzle de Pon R, which are a bit odd in that they were developed by Visco but publised by Taito, so I'm not sure who has the licensing rights (though they don't seem to have been licensed by Taito/Square Enix along with the recent Hamster license acquisitions of Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble 2)

- Technos (via Arc System Works, who currently holds most of the former Technos IP): Double Dragon, Super Dodgeball, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

- Hudson Soft (currently part of Konami): two Bomberman games and Kabuki Klash (though Kabuki Klash/Tengai Makyou might have additional licensing concerns)

- Sega: not entirely clear, but they may hold the license rights to Viewpoint (Sammy) and Matrimelee (via a complicated web of licensing, but perhaps Sega obtained rights via Atlus)

Every other official release on Neo Geo MVS hardware that hasn't shown up on ACA Neo Geo falls into the following categories:
- Publishers with only 1 Neo Geo game (and generally fairly obscure stuff - Fight Fever, Pochi & Nyaa, Tecmo World Soccer '96, Legend of Success Joe, Rage of the Dragons, Nightmare in the Dark),
- Incredibly niche games with zero international appeal and localization concerns (Japanese-only quiz, mahjong, or shogi games)
- Weird hardware (mahjong controller games, The Irritating Maze)
- Obvious major licensing issues that seem unlikely to be resolved: Windjammers (Dotemu currently has the license, previous non-Dotemu releases were removed from digital storefronts), SvC Chaos (Capcom), Eightman (likely expensive and complicated to license from the manga/anime IP holders)

Last edited:

Neo_Geo

Banned
So glad I purchased these way back when on the Wii, so they are in my ever growing library of digital titles on the Nintendo Network! Can't wait to download them! Will download them for free, hopefully legally, if Nintendo allows.

Porcile

Probably been asked before but which is better The Last Blade or The Last Blade 2? I already got my GOAT (SamSho 2) but I'm looking to broaden my library a little bit.

Top Bottom