• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo upgrade musings in response to Scorpio.

Pwnt? LOl and maybe read your source before posting, it doesn't help your argument.

He seems to be interpreting devs opinion of needing 8 GB as "MS has more than you!" Though there is no proof of that.

I like to hear more of this MS guy, I mean "pwnt"? Really? What is this? 2004? LOL I wonder what Dept he works in.

Zolo

I bought the PS4 for the games and I have a PC I expect will still be stronger than both upgraded consoles, so I don't really have a reason to upgrade for either. It'll be interesting to see population for how many adapt to the new iteration than those who keep the old though.

THE:MILKMAN

Yep.

If neo is coming in spring/summer 2017, I think it will have a decent spec bump.

And it still confuses me that all that info about NEO (that seems nowhere near set in stone) was being shared with retail at the regional level in March this year if it was more likely to be coming in 2017 and may even get delayed more for a CPU upgrade.

All I know is it will drive me nuts if nothing is announced at E3.

Imagine if we hear absolutely nothing on Neo or Scorpio at E3. God damn that would be disappointing as hell.

Like I said in the other thread, I can't fathom why MS would announce a new console that's more than a year away from release at E3. It just doesn't make any sense.

Dovahking

And it still confuses me that all that info about NEO (that seems nowhere near set in stone) was being shared with retail at the regional level in March this year if it was more likely to be coming in 2017 and may even get delayed more for a CPU upgrade.

Yeah, I found that very confusing. Maybe Sony needed feedback ?

All I know is it will drive me nuts if nothing is announced at E3.

You're going to be disappointed. No way they announce Neo at E3, even if it's coming this fall.

slapnuts

I... Really, really don't think it's feasible or realistic in the slightest that Sony changed their entire plans and threw away all the money they used for R&D for the Neo just because of rumours about the new Xbox.

You don't think its possible that Sony didn't have a Plan B or even a Plan C? I do along with the consideration that Sony's E3 conference is "after" Microsoft.

You don't think its possible that Sony didn't have a Plan B or even a Plan C? I do along with the consideration that Sony's E3 conference is "after" Microsoft.

They don't have a magic backup plan where they send out new devkits to every single dev who already got a Neo devkit because of a rumour on Polygon

Dovahking

Just out of interest and lets assume it is to be released in the fall, when do you think it will be revealed?

Either TGS (September) or PGW(October). But I think Neo is likely coming in spring 2017. PS4 and PSVR are the end of 2016 product.

It doesn't make sense for Sony to release another platform this year when they're going to be trying to launch PSVR.

Averon

GamesComs is the latest I think Sony can have a Neo announcement for it to launch in 2016.

If there's no Neo announcement by GamesCom, then the Neo is a Spring 2017 product. And if it is that far out, then I can see some modest changes to to specs (boosting clock speeds, switching to GDDR5X, etc...) being a possibility.

GamesComs is the latest I think Sony can have a Neo announcement for it to launch in 2016.

If there's no Neo announcement by GamesCom, then the Neo is a Spring 2017 product. And if it is that far out, then I can see some modest changes to to specs (boosting clock speeds, switching to GDDR5X, etc...) being a possibility.

Paris Games Week might be another time to announce.

icespide

Banned
why do people think Sony has to announce this thing at some predefined event? why can't they just have their own event to announce it, apple style?

THE:MILKMAN

Either TGS (September) or PGW(October). But I think Neo is likely coming in spring 2017. PS4 and PSVR are the end of 2016 product.

Well if NEO was to come out in October then a E3 (June) reveal would be the same amount of time as if it was coming in say March 2017 and revealed in September or October.

PSVR is a real headache all round here for Sony but I think it would be better to reveal NEO sooner rather than later. Revealing NEO right around PSVR launch doesn't sound like a good plan to me. That may piss off those investing $400-$800 to then be informed a new and improved PS4 is coming.

Of course PSVR may get another delay.

Bottom line is that the iterative model change (if that is what it is) is so big it needs a lot of explaining and time for it to sink in with consumers. It can't be treated in a similar way as a standard slim launch IMO.

Elios83

It doesn't make sense for Sony to release another platform this year when they're going to be trying to launch PSVR.

It's very unlikely that it's not coming this year with the forecast of 20m PS4s to sell during this fiscal year.
Most of the units are sold during the holiday quarter, last year 8.4m PS4s were sold during October-December alone. It seems unlikely they'll be able to ship 20 millions without the Neo boosting sales this christmas even considering a 50$ price cut for the current model.
PSVR is a niche thing that will be bought mainly by a specific audience. They're seeing it as a long term gamble, if it takes off they'll have a lead in that new market, but they're not expecting big numbers at launch. Their business is selling PS4s not PSVR.

About the announcement I think early September with availablity at the end of the month among with a price cut for the existing model.

icespide

Banned
It's very unlikely that it's not coming this year with the forecast of 20m PS4s to sell during this fiscal year.
Most of the units are sold during the holiday quarter, last year 8.4m PS4s were sold during October-December alone. It seems unlikely they'll be able to ship 20 millions without the Neo boosting sales this christmas even considering a 50$ price cut for the current model.
PSVR is a niche thing that will be bought mainly by a specific audience. They're seeing it as a long term gamble, if it takes off they'll have a lead in that new market, but they're not expecting big numbers at launch. Their business is selling PS4s not PSVR.

About the announcement I think early September with availablity at the end of the month among with a price cut for the existing model.

actually it's both

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They should keep NEO the same as the rumored specs, if they are going to launch it this year.

The OP's post feels really reactionary..but its not as if NEO will be lacking in ability to begin with considering all games will be built for PS4 and XB1 anyway. And NEO would have the advantage to begin with, especially with a head start on the market compared to their competitor who will be a year late.

People generally aren't going to just stampede just because of powerful specs, you need a general plan and an ecosystem that facilitates users needs, and Sony has, for the most part, provided that better.

Averon

Would the Polaris NDA, which won't lift until June 29, affect when Sony can announce the Neo, assuming it is using Polaris tech? That NDA lifts two weeks after E3.

Elios83

actually it's both

Well yeah it is, surely :D
But at the moment PS4 sales are a definitive priority over PSVR.
I have the impression that people are expecting the PSVR to be this super hit, it won't. It's an experimental thing that will take a lot of time to take off after a group of early adopters will buy it at launch. They'll be lucky to sell a couple of millions this year.

Would the Polaris NDA, which won't lift until June 29, affect when Sony can announce the Neo, assuming it is using Polaris tech? That NDA lifts two weeks after E3.

It won't be announced at E3 anyway, E3 is about games.
Microsoft might have the surprise to have the Xbox One Slim ready to ship in June at 299$.
I doubt Sony will have new hardware products out before September.
Btw it's really likely that the Neo APU is totally based on Polaris including new CPU cores.

They should keep NEO the same as the rumored specs, if they are going to launch it this year.

The OP's post feels really reactionary..but its not as if NEO will be lacking in ability to begin with considering all games will be built for PS4 and XB1 anyway. And NEO would have the advantage to begin with, especially with a head start on the market compared to their competitor who will be a year late.

People generally aren't going to just stampede just because of powerful specs, you need a general plan and an ecosystem that facilitates users needs, and Sony has, for the most part, provided that better.

Thank you. History has shown the most powerful console doesn't always lead in sales. Game are the main driver. Xbox One sales lag are not because it is less powerful.

I am sure Sony is curious about MS's plans but devkits are already in the wild and the theoretical launch for this thing may be in a few months. I would be surprised if very much changes and I doubt MS has them shook. It could be like the PS2/Xbox all over again. The Xbox had the technical advantage but it didn't matter much in the end, they still got steamrolled.

Crayon

I am sure Sony is curious about MS's plans but devkits are already in the wild and the theoretical launch for this thing may be in a few months. I would be surprised if very much changes and I doubt MS has them shook. It could be like the PS2/Xbox all over again. The Xbox had the technical advantage but it didn't matter much in the end, they still got steamrolled.

The XBox even had games that actually demonstrated a meaningful technical superiority. Still wasn't enough.

The ability of the system is pretty important, but there's other things that are more important. I seriously doubt Sony would react to whatever specs of the scorpio.

Humdinger

... considering all games will be built for PS4 and XB1 anyway. And NEO would have the advantage to begin with, especially with a head start on the market compared to their competitor who will be a year late.

Good point. If Scorpio releases in late 2017, it's not like all of the world's developers will suddenly start targeting it. Devs will continue to focus most of their effort on the huge install bases of the PS4/Neo and Xbox. When you had two consoles make the jump to "next gen," it was different, the devs knew to shift focus to the next gen, but if one console (especially one that's running a distant second) makes a generational leap, will devs suddenly climb on board and focus on maximizing that version? I know MS studios will, but how much focus will your average Ubisoft or EA game put on really maximizing a Scorpio version?

thuway

While the OP might sound ridiculous, everything he says is a realistic consideration. The only thing that I disagree with is switching out to GDDR5X, because it's rumored Polaris has much better memory compression algorithms.

It's been heavily hinted Neo is a smaller machine than the PS4. The only way his idea is possible is if Sony makes a machine that is a fair bit larger with a more complex cooling mechanism. So something between the size of the current PS4 and Xbox One.

It'll require a pretty extensive redesign of the external shell and the internal cooling/power supply.

599 is a joke though, this could come in much cheaper.

wasnt one of the main concepts of neo to stay as close to the original PS4 architecture as possible to reduce further dev efforts to optimize their games for it?
exchanging the cpu by a much stronger one sounds like going into the opposite direction, same for the gddr5x

basically one of my general concerns with the new xbox over the base xbox one, hardware wise it sounds like a totally different console and surely has to be tackled as such by the devs, no?

PS4 matches only the very low end specs for VR, perhaps Sony wants to sell VR with Neo.

RaijinFY

Not happening. Neo is going to be $399 with the reported spec, or VERY close to it.

Microsoft is essentially coming out with a whole new console, new CPU new GPU and most like a different memory architecture.

PS4 Neo is just an upgraded PS4.

Sony will save the big leap for PS5 in 2020 on 10nm FinFET. Probably 8-12 Zen Cores, double digit TF GPU and probably the 1.5x more efficient HBM2 or AMD "Nextgen Memory". shown in various roadmaps.
1+ TB/sec bandwidth, etc. Enough to power native 4K gaming and really good 2nd generation PSVR.

Did the leaks elaborate on this? I havent read anything about a new CPU for Scorpio...

sony probably waiting on the UHDA stickers certs for them to be able to reveal and release the Neo this year

BELIEVE!

but seriously speaking ill be surprised if sony doesnt push the NEO as a UHD BR player as well so it has to be this year and for $400 max, imo.

wapplew

I hope they cancel neo and leak 8TF console in 2017, then MS cancel Scorpio and leak 10TF console in 2018 effectively cancel mid gen bullshit and everyone go in true next gen with 8x power increase.

If new upgrades every 3 years is the future a $599 console will not work.

People in mass will wait for a price drop and when it hits $400 the next one will be just about out and people will wait.

Small but significant upgrades that keep the price at $400 is the way to go.

RaijinFY

The only thing i can see Sony upgrading is the GPU frequency (going to the rumored 911Mhz, which is a weird number, to 1Ghz).

Proelite

The only thing i can see Sony upgrading is the GPU frequency (going to the rumored 911Mhz, which is a weird number, to 1Ghz).

The 911 mhz is most likely chosen because it's the peak efficiency for the bandwidth of 218gb/s that the GDDR5 memory provided.

Bsigg12

Did the leaks elaborate on this? I havent read anything about a new CPU for Scorpio...

It's likely to be Zen based since the Jaguar cores being used now for the Xbox One would essentially hamstring anything they do with upgraded memory and GPU.

truth411

Not happening. Neo is going to be $399 with the reported spec, or VERY close to it.

Microsoft is essentially coming out with a whole new console, new CPU new GPU and most like a different memory architecture.

PS4 Neo is just an upgraded PS4.

Sony will save the big leap for PS5 in 2020 on 7nm FinFET. Probably 8-16 CPU Cores, double digit TF GPU and probably the 1.5x more efficient HBM2 or AMD "Nextgen Memory". shown in various roadmaps.
1+ TB/sec bandwidth, etc. Enough to power native 4K gaming and really good 2nd generation PSVR.

Fixed. This is how I see it. We get 10nm chips next year in phones, GPUs can't be that far behind it. I expect 7nm chips available in 2020.

Freeman

Banned
Most likely Scorpio will bomb harder than The One. Sony just need to focus on what they are doing, get the PS4,PS4K and PSVR to be as attractive as they can be at their respective prices.

If Scorpio is considerably more powerful it will also be considerably more expensive. Both consoles should experience a drop in sale after their new versions are announced, getting to market as soon as possible is a must.

Alternative they could delay the Neo, improve it and release closer to Scorpio but that would be just dumb now that the cat is out of the bag.

ffvorax

Lol.
Neo will not be more than 399€/$.

Coupled with VR will be something like 499€/$ or 549€/$.

I am sure of this, being more expensive will be just a flop.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
I think people expecting "significant" differences between the systems will be severely disappointed. This is not the generational level upgrade. It is a continuation, midpoint upgrade, nothing more. Better performance is what will be the true benefit hopefully.

Top Bottom