• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo_G Interview: Working on KOF14, SNK hired him to work on action games

BadWolf

Started working as lead game designer on KOF14 the moment he was hired early this year:

4Gamer: Tell us a little about what you've been working on as a member of the King of Fighters 14 development team after joining SNK.

Hidetoshi Ishizawa (Neo_G): [As Lead Game Designer] I'm in charge of adjusting and fine tuning gameplay on this title. So what I do is go to KoF 14 game designer Watanabe (third from the left in the banner) with ideas like "if we could implement such-and-such thing in this manner, the game will be more interesting." And then Watanabe is the one who'll incorporate that.

Outside of fine tuning gameplay, I also work on adjustments for the new characters. For these characters, what I'd do is suggest play elements that would be fun for fighting game fans. And then similarly, Watanabe would take those ideas, and realize them in a manner that fits the KoF flavor.

Working on KOF14 but SNK seems to have hired him to work on action games:

4Gamer: As the illustrious Neo_G, from here on out, will you also be working on fighting games other than KoF 14 down the pipeline at SNK?

Hidetoshi Ishizawa (Neo_G): This time around, it just so happened that the title I've been working on is KoF 14. But outside of this title, I think I'm probably going to be working on action game titles.

Producer Oda also hinting at SNK branching out of just making fighting games:

4Gamer: Now that you're able to finally announce a release date for KoF 14, is there anything you'd like to say to the readers and fans who're eagerly waiting for the game's release?

Yasuyuki Oda: As it's been a while since the last time we've launched a new game under the SNK brand, right now our number one focus is on servicing our fans and meeting their expectations. From here on out we also plan to work on plenty of stuff that we hope everyone will find fascinating.

On making other fighting games:

4Gamer: [As traditionally each chapter in the KoF saga has been told over three games] Of course, we can expect a KoF 15 and 16 in the future, right?

Yasuyuki Oda: We don't know for sure if that will happen yet (laughs). But with that said, the team absolutely wants to make them.

4Gamer: What about other SNK fighting game franchises like The Last Blade and Fatal Fury?

Yasuyuki Oda: We would absolutely love to make them as well (laughs). Please look forward to our other titles in the future.

Full interview: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...harge-fine-tuning-king-fighters-14s-gameplay/

Credit for the find: TreIII

SNK's Devil May Cry incoming?

Super excited for KOF14. I wonder what action game though? Metal Slug? I wouldn't mind a new Art of Fighting or Ikari Warriors.

Warxard

Banned
METAL SLUG NIGGAAAAAAAAAAA

OH MY GOD THE POSSIBILITIES

METAL SLUG
SENGOKU
IKARI WARRIORS
THE LAST BLADE

FUCK IM HYPE TAKE ME TO THE PROMISED LAND SNK

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd love to see SNK do something other then the same 'ol tired fighting games. A new action game sounds great.

Sesha

Ogre Shall Despair, here we go!

I've mentioned this a couple of times in other threads, but hopefully they expand with some new IPs instead of making spin-offs for their fighting and arcade titles.

Really looking forward to this. XIV seriously feels like the beginning of a new renaissance for SNK. Excited to see what they have in store, be it returning to other IPs, or making something totally new!

tumblr_ncdj8ilCu61s7elebo1_500.gif

TreIII

Thanks for the shout out, BadWolf~!

Ogre Shall Despair, here we go!

I've mentioned this a couple of times in other threads, but hopefully they expand with some new IPs instead of making spin-offs for their fighting and arcade titles.

I'd be open to either, really. As I suggested in the other topic, there's enough available in the backstories and expanded canon for the likes of KOF and SS, that they could feasibly make an action game starring almost any established character, and in most cases, it probably would work fine. Or maybe they could use it as a means to help propel a new face like KOFXIV protag Shun'ei into stardom, cuz seriously, dude looks like he was made for a character action game.

SHUNEI.jpg

I can't be the only one getting whispers of Nero from this guy. At least from a design aesthetic standpoint...

OmegaDL50

You know what would be a great IP to rediscover and it might work for an action game.

Crystalis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWu_BVeg5E

It a very decent and advanced for it's time overhead Action RPG that was similar to the Legend of Zelda formula however it had RPG like leveling mechanics, 8 way directional movement, different swords with elemental magic abilities.

This was an NES game before even A Link to the Past released even.

Going back to this IP and giving it a more action oriented affair might be a cool idea. I'd definitely go for a Crystalis reboot.

I have to agree with what Loona said in the other thread, I think Athena would be a good choice for a new action game. If they went in a colorful, whimsical direction with it (like the original artwork for the game) I think it could be like Shantae where a scantily clad heroine could be more palatable to the general audience.

Loona

Action game? Please a sequel!

I was thinking classic Athena, but a Top Hunter revival would be great - the mix of FG moves and the extendable arm/grappling hook could lead to something fun outside the original's platformer gameplay.

Honey Bunny

I just saw this guy listed in the credits for RE Revelations 2. Is he a big deal? He was the only person that got a nickname.

Defuser

I'm more glad SNK is branching out to do other genres in 3d. I felt that what did them in previous generations.

Tizoc

Picture this scrubs
New Metal Slug game
WITH NEW 2D GRAPHICS LIVING UP TO THE FLUID ANIMATION OF THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY (and 2).
DEVELOPED WITH ASSISTANCE FROM THE SPELUNKY TEAM!
RANDOMLY GENERATED LEVELS
RANDOMLY GENERATED SET PIECES AND ENEMY PLACEMENT
DIFFICULTY LEVELS FOR GAMERS SELF PROCLAIMED PRO AND CASUALS

THE TRAILER PLAYS
IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL
EXPLOSIVE
RAWKET LAWNCHAIRS BLAST OFF ONCE MORE

THEN
THE SILENCE
*Kindly close your eyes and click on the below link*
THEN THIS PLAYS
PLAY THROUGH THE GAME IN CONTRA STYLE!
WITH CONTRA ENEMIES AND STAGE STYLES
THEN THE TRAILER ENDS
AND MARCO AND BILL DO THE PREDATOR MOVIE ARM SHAKE WITH AN EXPLOSION IN THE BACKGROUND
AND ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD

Also SNKs hould like totally make a Jet ski racing game with the most godly water animation and physics ever starring the Fatal Fury cast.
Don't argue with me just imagine Geese in the crossed legs seating position with his arms crossed on the jet ski as he drives it using his sheer force of will.

Top Bottom