• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^

All he did was replace the ball top IIRC...

It's the Seimitsu LB-39 Ball Top

I'd love a translucent bat top...

FoxSpirit

akachan ningen said:
Do you guys know a good site for buying japanese style sticks like this?
2495506665_314e61629c.jpg

Not the whole controller, just the stick.

Do you really want the whole stick or just the top?
The stick is an LS32-01, the top a Seimitsu LB-39 bubble top and the buttons are also translucent seintsu.

Chad from Lizard Lick is very fast and inexpensive:http://www.lizardlick.com/

JEKKI

bubble tops?!?!

sheeyit now I gotta show off my sheeyit

1507800581_23c485a80b.jpg

1508657800_b8fc41f2e7.jpg

1508658578_4352c00691.jpg

that's a T5 mod. I wanna build one from scratch but I dont really have the tools to do so

(nor the money to get those tools)

(nor the space to use them...)

my builds:

2_Stupid_Dogs_joystick___side_by_p3ters.jpg
2_Stupid_Dogs_joystick_by_p3ters.jpg

JEKKI__s_arcade_joystick_1_by_p3ters.jpg
JEKKI__s_arcade_joystick_1___a_by_p3ters.jpg

Peter Venkman

Neo Member
Right now I'm just using the Street Fighter Anniversary stick modded with HAPP parts. I used to have a HRAP modded w/ Seimitsu but I just can't get used to Japanese parts. I'd rather stick with what I've been using since the early 90s. The SFA stick is a fucking tank though. I wish it was a little smaller.

xabi

I am looking to get a stick for my PS3 and I would love some advice. I understand the HRAPs are good, but from what I can gather they have the stick in a square fitting vs. a round one. I have this and this (the ascii fighting stick for PS2) and very much like the feel of both. Can someone recommend something similar?

I don't know what kind of gate is in the Agetec, but the HRAP's stick can have the gate changed from square to an Octagonal one pretty easily. There's a HRAP modding guide that goes over it on Shoryuken.com's tech forums.

dfyb

Banned
i'm thinking i want to build a stick over the summer. i want it to work with ps2, ps3, and PC. i have pelican ps2>ps3 adapters already. should i just use the board from my spare dualshock2? better alternatives out there?

akuma001

dfyb said:
i'm thinking i want to build a stick over the summer. i want it to work with ps2, ps3, and PC. i have pelican ps2>ps3 adapters already. should i just use the board from my spare dualshock2? better alternatives out there?

use dualshock one, its easier to wire. check out padhacking thread in tech talk on www.shoryuken.com

dfyb

Banned
akuma001 said:
use dualshock one, its easier to wire. check out padhacking thread in tech talk on www.shoryuken.com
yeah i was thinking about what reasons most the sticks i see use a psx board - assume dualshock 2 has more (unecessary, for a stick) connections due to the analog face buttons. will have to find my old dualshock1. how much do they run if i walk into an eb/gamestop?

dfyb

Banned
can anyone recommend me software for designing the button/stick layout so i can print out a guide?

i want to create something comparable to the guides on this site: http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

i made this --

stick_layout_rough.png

but i'd like something more exact. guess i could do it in illustrator but i'd like the name of a couple good drafting applications.

edit: also just realized i have one of those SF anniversary pads. will open it up to see how easy of a hack it'll be.

edit2: this pad should work out great

alisdair

What's the difference going to be between the HRAP Ex and the VF5 EX2 stick? Is it basically just stick/button quality? Which components do each have?

sennin

I'm tempted to dive in for the Real Arcade Pro since my sweaty palms kind of (well, in full force actually =x) oxidized the edges of the shafts of my EX2 fighting sticks. I'm just not sure I should be this hasty though, given the near certainty regarding Steet Fighter IV/SSFIITHD sticks are bound to be in the making as we speak.

Lee N

Membre
alisdair said:
What's the difference going to be between the HRAP Ex and the VF5 EX2 stick? Is it basically just stick/button quality? Which components do each have?
the VF5 EX2 has proprietary buttons and stick from Hori, it is not arcade grade hardware and you can't easily exchange the parts should something break down.

The Real Arcade PRO. EX is arcade specced hardware, there are still proprietary buttons but they can be exchanged for sanwa/seimitsu buttons without soldering anything. And the stick is from Sanwa.

CPS2

I'm bloody stoked about that, glad I held out a little while before buying another 360 stick.

Still got some red Sanwa buttons and a balltop, I'll chuck them on and it'll be sweet :D

I'm glad that the 360 is finally getting an HRAP, however, 2 things turn me off:

1) ugly color combo (yeah I know, swap the buttons, but still)
2) HRAP 2 style plate. honestly, if I could get an HRAP 1 plate for my HRAP 3, I'd switch it. Anybody wanna trade?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Regarding the 360 HRAP EX...

Retarded ass button layout for the FACE buttons on the arcade stick. Now this is the second stick to retardedly have this layout (First one was PS3 Fighting Stick 3).

The four main action button standard for arcade sticks curves up and to the right not down and to the right.

I will quickly move the four main action buttons to the left and change the quick disconnects when I get my pair of sticks.

You really should consider showing off your collection at some point. What, 55 sticks? I barely know where to put the two I have.

DaCocoBrova

HRAPs are huge! Too many buttons on the 360 one. I kind of like the form factor of the EX2s.

I'm ordering my buttons and bat top right now in fact.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Here are some of them, mostly boxed ones...

1469858059_50936d4407_o.jpg

I have so many out of box lying around too... X_X

This picture was from sometime last year... so I've gotten a bunch of new sticks since then.

the year 20XX said:
Is there a guide to modding the T5 stick? Maybe I should just put new art on mine and pretend I modded it.
There is, I just need to find it again. Apparently, T5 sticks are a real bitch to mod. More so than HRAPs (which aren't even that hard to mod).

MarkMan: Does that stick with the PS2 case have Happ parts in it? Also, :lol @ the Shadowblade!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
lol @ shadowblade indeed.

360 stick isn't wireless. MS won't allow wireless controllers (other than guitars).

Yea T5 sticks are harder to mod due to the PCB being soldered to the button contact points.

The HRAP EX looks nice, but yeah some questionable choices that are easily modded. I think its pseudo-announcement warrants its own thread, though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
RE: The HRAP EX

Yea don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get 2 of these, but I just wish they made it right out of the box. Nothing that can't be fixed easily though...

shas'la

MarkMan said:
Regarding the 360 HRAP EX...

Retarded ass button layout for the FACE buttons on the arcade stick. Now this is the second stick to retardedly have this layout (First one was PS3 Fighting Stick 3).

The four main action button standard for arcade sticks curves up and to the right not down and to the right.

I will quickly move the four main action buttons to the left and change the quick disconnects when I get my pair of sticks.

I'm hoping games like SC4 will allow me to customise controls myself . Id like to have;

RT --> a
LT --> x
x --> y
y --> b

I hope that makes sense!!

EDIT: because i have no ability/skill to mod a stick im relying on in-game options to help me out.

Hopefully this will be on playasia soon.

DaCocoBrova

Damn, Lizrdlick is sold out of a few things I had planned on buying today. Chad's cool though. He's been responding to my e-mails.

Guymelef

Yes, all buttons Seimitsu and things we can't see.

An Octogonal restricter and a PSX PCB (Now is PSX-USB).

Now i need a good design for a front vinyl.

xabi

xabi said:
I am looking to get a stick for my PS3 and I would love some advice. I understand the HRAPs are good, but from what I can gather they have the stick in a square fitting vs. a round one. I have this and this (the ascii fighting stick for PS2) and very much like the feel of both. Can someone recommend something similar?

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

fugimax

My local Fry's has the Hori Wii Fighting stick for $29.

Worth it in terms of a stick? Is it moddable to USB? My main use would be MAME.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
xabi said:
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

The Dreamcast stick you pictured also has a square gate. If you like that stick I would recommend any of the HRAP series of arcade sticks as they do have a similar feel. Obviously the HRAP series of sticks are larger(base) than those sticks you posted, but they still feel good.

For the ASCII stick you posted, do you know if that one is the one with the optical stick inside? (No clicks).... if so, you're not going to be able to emulate that as there are no sticks (easily accessible anyway) that have Sanwa flash or flash clones such as the early ASCII FT and Dreamcast Capcom vs SNK FT Arcade Sticks.

Cowie

Pretty sure that based on my interest level, Hori EX2 is probably the stick for me right now.

Though the next question that comes up is where to get it
best i've seen is around $58 shipped from buy.com, but i can't help but think i should be able to get this stick for cheaper. Didn't it go on clearance at EBstop for $30-40? Not that i'd find one, but still...
Anyone know of a decent place to check?

so i have a green goblin and i just want a better stick and buttons put in. can anyone reccomend a person/business that will do this? im in los angeles so if they are local that would be great.

Cowie said:
Pretty sure that based on my interest level, Hori EX2 is probably the stick for me right now.

Though the next question that comes up is where to get it
best i've seen is around $58 shipped from buy.com, but i can't help but think i should be able to get this stick for cheaper. Didn't it go on clearance at EBstop for $30-40? Not that i'd find one, but still...
Anyone know of a decent place to check?
I picked mine up about a month ago at Amazon for $58 plus shipping. GS/EB did clearance them out but that was at store level not online, so if you can find a store that still has one you could get it cheaper. I tryed in my area OC - SoCal. but coundn' find one therefore bought it off of Amazon.

I've got a ps2 Hori arcade stick and I want to use it on my (future) 360.
Do you guys know a relatively cheap way to do that ? (not the XFPS which is way too expensive).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dr_Biscuit said:
Do you guys know a relatively cheap way to do that ? (not the XFPS which is way too expensive).
I believe the XFPS is the only one right now... and it has lag and other issues (price, overcomplicated).

Last I checked Xbox 360 is the only machine you might need to pick up an extra set of dedicated sticks for.

Ramune

Why does Play-Asia list the HRAP Amazon JP edition as a PS3 stick where on the SDTEKKEN/Amazon JP lists it as a PS2 stick? I would rather get this one as it would be easier on my wallet than the HRAP SA.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-77-5-49-en-15-arcade+stick-70-2sxy.html

And I also managed to snatch 2 of those PS2/PS3 USB converters I previously missed out on earlier on this thread. Can you use these converters to play PS2 games on your BC PS3? Or are they just for use with the PS3?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Ramune said:
Why does Play-Asia list the HRAP Amazon JP edition as a PS3 stick where on the SDTEKKEN/Amazon JP lists it as a PS2 stick? I would rather get this one as it would be easier on my wallet than the HRAP SA.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-77-5-49-en-15-arcade+stick-70-2sxy.html

And I also managed to snatch 2 of those PS2/PS3 USB converters I previously missed out on earlier on this thread. Can you use these converters to play PS2 games on your BC PS3? Or are they just for use with the PS3?

The REAL PS2/PS3 Converter works on PS2's BC. Just be aware there is at least 3 frames of lag when using BC.

The HRAP Amazon Edition (Orange) is a PS2 stick, Play-Asia has it listed wrong X_X

--

Geezer said:
Do the HRAP 3 and High Grade sticks work fine with Macs?

The HRAP3 and VSHG work on MACs, you may need a program such as ControllerMate to map the buttons properly though.

--

Dr_Biscuit said:

As of right now here is no cheap/effective way of doing this. Even with the XFPS, you'll need your PS2 stick to have analog mode or you will suffer horrendous input lag (when going digital only).

Geezer said:
Do the HRAP 3 and High Grade sticks work fine with Macs?
My High Grade has been working flawlessly on my MBP. No need for a driver or anything, you just plug it in.

Been playing some epic 3rd strike matches this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom