• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What did you get?

This SKU on Amazon that came with the wireless commander unit and a flash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6WCGG2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the Godox V860ii for Sony cameras and, alone, it costs around $200. I also got a cheap stand, holder for the flash, umbrella, and white cover to create a quick softbox.

The flash seems really great. Tons of options and it's powered on a rechargeable lithium ion battery, so it cycles very quickly.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how all of the different variables affect the image, and wow, it's a lot to take in. Flash power, flash zoom, angle, distance from subject, etc. all on top of the usual camera settings you have to take into account. Still, I got some amazing looking shots just messing around a bit last night taking some pictures of my wife indoors.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This SKU on Amazon that came with the wireless commander unit and a flash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6WCGG2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the Godox V860ii for Sony cameras and, alone, it costs around $200. I also got a cheap stand, holder for the flash, umbrella, and white cover to create a quick softbox.

The flash seems really great. Tons of options and it's powered on a rechargeable lithium ion battery, so it cycles very quickly.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how all of the different variables affect the image, and wow, it's a lot to take in. Flash power, flash zoom, angle, distance from subject, etc. all on top of the usual camera settings you have to take into account. Still, I got some amazing looking shots just messing around a bit last night taking some pictures of my wife indoors.

Nice.

The concept that a lot of people seem to trip up on is what settings affect the flash and what affects the ambient light.

It's important to realize that changing the shutter speed, ISO, or aperture will increase or decrease the brightness of the ambient light, while only ISO or aperture will change the brightness of the flash. So, for example, if you take a shot and you think that the flash is too dark, either increase power on the flash or raise your ISO or open your aperture. If you think the surrounding ambient light is too bright or dark, just adjust the shutter speed.

You might want to imagine it as two separate exposures and then combine them in your mind's eye. One of the ambient, and one of just the flash.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my D7100 isn't better than my 600 or 810 in any way so I'm wondering if I could trade that and my 3 Sigma lenses in for XT2 credit or something. That stuff just gathers dust.

Backup body?
It's technically the spare, to my spare. I haven't used the 7100 since like November or whenever I sent my 600 in. Even still I don't really like the output of my DX lenses, either that or the images just look like shit at 2500 iso on the back of my screen. Or they're optically inferior to my Nikon 24-70...I don't care what dxomark says on this one.

TFGB

Loving this ThinkTank Airport Helipak V2. I can get so much gear in it, and still have room for a 17" laptop if I need to.

It is rather heavy on my back though.... I think I need muscles in my piss to lift it lol. :/

Jb6N57Z.jpg

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a Sony RX 100 V. Kept debating buying that vs the Sony A6300. Decided that no matter what I'd want a pocket camera so this will be my first camera. Then if I find myself really getting into the hobby, I would look at a A6500 or A7 for more detailed shooting days.

Any reasons why I should hold off, wait etc on the RX 100? Was planning on buying a second battery and charger. Any other items I should consider? :D

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a Sony RX 100 V. Kept debating buying that vs the Sony A6300. Decided that no matter what I'd want a pocket camera so this will be my first camera. Then if I find myself really getting into the hobby, I would look at a A6500 or A7 for more detailed shooting days.

Any reasons why I should hold off, wait etc on the RX 100? Was planning on buying a second battery and charger. Any other items I should consider? :D
I was always wondering why I never bought an RX100...these things are expensive. They're very close in price to an XT20, X100F and an A6300. If you must get a pocket camera then fine buy it, but if it's not something you're going to pack around often you might as well just have bought something else.

I was always wondering why I never bought an RX100...these things are expensive. They're very close in price to an XT20, X100F and an A6300. If you must get a pocket camera then fine buy it, but if it's not something you're going to pack around often you might as well just have bought something else.

Sony's fixed lens items are expensive, yeah. But, also very good, so... Eh? Problem is that a pocket camera at that tier is... a weird proposition. "You'll be able to take very good crappy photos!"

I would love though if they just took an A6000, stuck a fixed lens on it, and shrunk it down.

Sony's fixed lens items are expensive, yeah. But, also very good, so... Eh? Problem is that a pocket camera at that tier is... a weird proposition. "You'll be able to take very good crappy photos!"

I would love though if they just took an A6000, stuck a fixed lens on it, and shrunk it down.
I'm not really looking to go back to a fixed lens camera. I photograph too many different things for that to pan out...I think. I know they're good, I just don't think I'm part of the market demographic for them.

I'm not really looking to go back to a fixed lens camera. I photograph too many different things for that to pan out...I think. I know they're good, I just don't think I'm part of the market demographic for them.

There's a famous photographer, I forget who, but he's famous for taking almost his entire portfolio with nothing but a 50mm lens.

So there's definitely a market for them, but I'd want a 50mm equivalent, not a 35mm. :/

There's a famous photographer, I forget who, but he's famous for taking almost his entire portfolio with nothing but a 50mm lens.

So there's definitely a market for them, but I'd want a 50mm equivalent, not a 35mm. :/
Yeah I'm pretty aware of those that just work with primes, short primes even, it just seems like something I wouldn't enjoy too heavily if I needed to photograph a person that I don't have permission to photograph for example. Yeah I can crop...a lot on my D810, but still.

Yeah I'm pretty aware of those that just work with primes, short primes even, it just seems like something I wouldn't enjoy too heavily if I needed to photograph a person that I don't have permission to photograph for example. Yeah I can crop...a lot on my D810, but still.

That's sort of the point of a prime -- to teach you how to work with a set focal length. That, and f1.4 is sex. TBH, I'm not sure what I'd do with a zoom. I'm so used to picking 100, 50, or 14, and then moving where I'd need to go, that the loss of aperture would fuck me up a lot more than zoom would benefit. I'll probably pick up the 28-70 kit lens if I ever travel, just as an "I don't want to carry jack shit" lens, but beyond that? It'd be a waste of money, I feel.

AF though, I'd like for events. That part would be nice. For everything else? Your clients won't know you cropped.

That's sort of the point of a prime -- to teach you how to work with a set focal length. That, and f1.4 is sex. TBH, I'm not sure what I'd do with a zoom. I'm so used to picking 100, 50, or 14, and then moving where I'd need to go, that the loss of aperture would fuck me up a lot more than zoom would benefit. I'll probably pick up the 28-70 kit lens if I ever travel, just as an "I don't want to carry jack shit" lens, but beyond that? It'd be a waste of money, I feel.

AF though, I'd like for events. That part would be nice. For everything else? Your clients won't know you cropped.
One day I'm just going to say fuck it and put my 50mm on my D810 and just leave it there, but I can't always zoom with my feet. I think the way you shoot is more deliberate than mine and I'm borderline ADD by comparison
cause I have ADD.

Thraktor

I learnt photography on a film SLR with a 50mm lens, and on my 5D Mk2 I almost exclusively shot with my Sigma 50mm, so I almost feel like zoom lenses are cheating by this point. It's really a personal preference, though, I'm comfortable moving myself to frame the shot and prefer the options that wider apertures give me, but I can certainly see why people would prefer zooms, especially for a fixed-lens camera.

For anyone who is looking for a compact with a prime lens, though, I'd very much recommend looking at a second hand GM1 or GM5. They're tiny (the body is actually smaller than the RX100, although adding a lens obviously changes that), they're pretty cheap, and there's a very good range of MFT compact primes which they can be paired with, covering pretty much any focal length you might want. Personally I've got a GM1 with an Olympus 25mm f/1.8, and I'm really happy with both the size and the image quality.

It's not quite jeans-pocket pocketable, but it fits in a coat pocket, and with an equivalent depth of field to a full frame f3.5 lens it allows for a level of subject isolation that just isn't possible on a pocket zoom.

I learnt photography on a film SLR with a 50mm lens, and on my 5D Mk2 I almost exclusively shot with my Sigma 50mm, so I almost feel like zoom lenses are cheating by this point. It's really a personal preference, though, I'm comfortable moving myself to frame the shot and prefer the options that wider apertures give me, but I can certainly see why people would prefer zooms, especially for a fixed-lens camera.

For anyone who is looking for a compact with a prime lens, though, I'd very much recommend looking at a second hand GM1 or GM5. They're tiny (the body is actually smaller than the RX100, although adding a lens obviously changes that), they're pretty cheap, and there's a very good range of MFT compact primes which they can be paired with, covering pretty much any focal length you might want. Personally I've got a GM1 with an Olympus 25mm f/1.8, and I'm really happy with both the size and the image quality.

It's not quite jeans-pocket pocketable, but it fits in a coat pocket, and with an equivalent depth of field to a full frame f3.5 lens it allows for a level of subject isolation that just isn't possible on a pocket zoom.
It's not like I don't move in closer or closer to the ground to adjust my composition because I do, it's just that at times I can not physically move closer and indoors stuff gets a bit tricky. Say for example I can't run across the park lawn to photograph people doing yoga because they already have a paid person there for that and nobody else is really up there that isn't doing yoga. I like both primes and zooms it just depends on what I'm photographing and what I'm in the mood to use. I have zooms and end up changing lenses a lot. I can't even imagine how often I'd change my lens if I just brought bagful of zooms. I guess if I have enough practice I'll get better with it.

The XT20/6300 with a lens is too big to be something that I take with me everywhere I go and the X100F is 30% more expensive plus it only shoots video at 1080p. I just want a good point and shoot that I can carry with me to take family photos and shoot decent videos. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

The XT20/6300 with a lens is too big to be something that I take with me everywhere I go and the X100F is 30% more expensive plus it only shoots video at 1080p. I just want a good point and shoot that I can carry with me to take family photos and shoot decent videos. :)

maxresdefault.jpg
You don't exactly need 4K to shoot decent videos. If you don't need the 4K then don't use that a hurdle for deciding what camera you buy. Trust me. If you don't need the 4K then don't bother getting it. If you need something for family photos then yeah just get the RX100.

Got

Banned
Just decided to consolidate all digital workflow to Fuji so passing along my Leica M8 and opted for the x100F. Can't wait to get it and add it to my Fuji kit.

Could you guys tell me what the consensus is on dxomark's camera ranking? I've been looking at the a6500 and in the ranking it's below the samsung nx500 which is considerably cheaper... 400 euros for the nx500 versus 1600 euro's for just the a6500 body... Is this even possible? I need a high quality compact camera and I'm almost at the point where I'd consider the rx1r, because it's so high on the ranking and the a6500 actually comes close to the same price with a lens. The fixed lens is frightening though.

Got

Banned
Could you guys tell me what the consensus is on dxomark's camera ranking? I've been looking at the a6500 and in the ranking it's below the samsung nx500 which is considerably cheaper... 400 euros for the nx500 versus 1600 euro's for just the a6500 body... Is this even possible? I need a high quality compact camera and I'm almost at the point where I'd consider the rx1r, because it's so high on the ranking and the a6500 actually comes close to the same price with a lens. The fixed lens is frightening though.

do more research. don't base your purchase on one metric like dxomarks

Most non shill youtubers consider dxomark bullshit.

RuGalz

The ranking number by itself isn't super useful. It's weighted in ways that may or may not apply to your needs. The specific tests of each category however will tell you the characteristics of a camera. I wouldn't sweat it too much unless the overall score is more than 10 points apart.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The only metric I bother with is the relative dynamic range values between cameras. Most everything else, from a practical standpoint, is pretty meaningless.

Venfayth

Samsung cameras are cheap because they killed them off. It's not worth investing in a dead system even at a low price especially given how limited the lens selection was even when it was still alive.

Dynamic range (And light transmission for lenses) is really the only one that matters, and I'm positive that anything from a6300 would destroy them on that point. Not to mention with the BSI sensors, probably just gonna get more light period.

Don't get a Samsung. That's ONE THING we can all agree on haha.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I would love to play with an RX100 V, but at the same time, I doubt I would use it that much. For snapshots and quick shareable videos, I always have my iPhone, which is good enough. When I know I want to take photos, I have my full frame camera. Maybe if I owned one I would change my mind somewhat, but from what I've seen, I don't feel like a 1 inch sensor gets you close enough to the image quality of an APS-C or Full Frame camera.

Ty4on

Samsung cameras are cheap because they killed them off. It's not worth investing in a dead system even at a low price especially given how limited the lens selection was even when it was still alive.
Probably worth it for some if they don't need more than that.

Got

Banned
Those batteries had been in that compartment for at least 15 years and one had burst. Possibly cleanable.

Nope. The light seals were in mint condition though.

wanna take pics so we can see?

sounds like you actually bought the F4s if it has the battery grip. So, is there corruption in the extended grip portion or the main camera grip portion? or is it even the F4e grip?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hi Camera-GAF, complete noob here and I need some recommendations. Thank you very much :).

1. What is your budget? €200-€500 tops (Around 200 is obviously better, but I don't know much about camera prices)
2. Main purpose of the camera? Shooting videos of myself in a static setting (my room, basically)
3. What form factor is most appealing to you? No idea. Anything that can be attached to tripod or a desktop stand
4. Will you be investing in the camera? Probably not.
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked? No.

Additionally, here's a good example of the kind of videos I would shoot, and the video quality I'm aiming for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiBj75Dd0I

wanna take pics so we can see?

sounds like you actually bought the F4s if it has the battery grip. So, is there corruption in the extended grip portion or the main camera grip portion? or is it even the F4e grip?
I didn't buy it I saw it at a yard sale.

It looked like an F4s. I took the grip off and the corrosion was all inside the main grip area. I think it was maybe MB21. Also had a data back. I kinda regret not picking it up now but I don't really have any lenses or use for it.

Got

Banned
I didn't buy it I saw it at a yard sale.

It looked like an F4s. I took the grip off and the corrosion was all inside the main grip area. I think it was maybe MB21. Also had a data back. I kinda regret not picking it up now but I don't really have any lenses or use for it.

ahh too bad. definitely worth picking up even in that condition oh well. if the body grip was gone then maybe not but still worth it for parts probably. if it was inside the mb-21 then adding the mb-20 would've made it a killer deal if it still worked.

Hi Camera-GAF, complete noob here and I need some recommendations. Thank you very much :).

1. What is your budget? €200-€500 tops (Around 200 is obviously better, but I don't know much about camera prices)
2. Main purpose of the camera? Shooting videos of myself in a static setting (my room, basically)
3. What form factor is most appealing to you? No idea. Anything that can be attached to tripod or a desktop stand
4. Will you be investing in the camera? Probably not.
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked? No.

Additionally, here's a good example of the kind of videos I would shoot, and the video quality I'm aiming for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiBj75Dd0I
Is a Panasonic G7 too expensive?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is a Panasonic G7 too expensive?

Around €600 on Amazon.fr, so yeah :/. I should add that I don't mind if the quality is a bit lower than the example video I posted, if that means I can save a decent amount of money. That's why I set a wide price range in my post.

Around €600 on Amazon.fr, so yeah :/. I should add that I don't mind if the quality is a bit lower than the example video I posted, if that means I can save a decent amount of money. That's why I set a wide price range in my post.
You can't find one on Ebay? Just get like a Canon 60 or 70D or something. Should hopefully be affordable.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You can't find one on Ebay? Just get like a Canon 60 or 70D or something. Should hopefully be affordable.

I've never bought anything on eBay, so I didn't think to look. It can be had for €430 apparently: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Panasonic-Lu...571191?hash=item25d9112bf7:g:VksAAOSwVJhZQ5Gq

The pic makes it look like it doesn't come with a lens though. Is that a problem for my intended use?

Also, the Canons you mentioned are in the same price range (sometimes more expensive).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, if you have a smartphone with decent specs, you're probably better of just using that and spending your budget on a tripod and some lighting equipment.

If you want an APS-C camera, there are some good deals on the Sony a6000 right now. You can probably find the body and a lens or two for around 600 Euro. It won't do 4K, but it shoots great HD video.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Honestly, if you have a smartphone with decent specs, you're probably better of just using that and spending your budget on a tripod and some lighting equipment.

Fancy seeing you here, sir.
Yea... I have an Blackberry Q10 lol. Although I might be able to get a KeyOne later this year, and that phone has the same lens as the Google Pixel. Would that be good enough?

If you want an APS-C camera, there are some good deals on the Sony a6000 right now. You can probably find the body and a lens or two for around 600 Euro. It won't do 4K, but it shoots great HD video.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't care about 4K one bit, so no problem there.
... I have no idea what an APS-C camera is. I looked it up on Wikipedia but honestly, it's all gibberish to me as I'm a complete layman.

I've never bought anything on eBay, so I didn't think to look. It can be had for €430 apparently: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Panasonic-Lu...571191?hash=item25d9112bf7:g:VksAAOSwVJhZQ5Gq

The pic makes it look like it doesn't come with a lens though. Is that a problem for my intended use?

Also, the Canons you mentioned are in the same price range (sometimes more expensive).
Yes you need a lense. The basic kit lens for it isn't super expensive. You will need a lot of YouTube vids to work whatever camera you get though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't care about 4K one bit, so no problem there.
... I have no idea what an APS-C camera is. I looked it up on Wikipedia but honestly, it's all gibberish to me as I'm a complete layman.

I know exactly how you feel. A year or so ago I didn't know a damn thing about cameras and how all of this stuff works!

APS-C is just the size of the sensor in the camera. They are huge compared to the tiny sensors you'll find in smartphones and lots of portable cameras. This means they are generally able to produce better quality images with much less noise.