• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF.com: An Interview with David Jaffe

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We're at about 1000 downloads so far. I dunno, considering how usually anything Jaffe-related gets a lot of talk on GAF that's pretty low.

We probably could've used a transcript for those who don't want to listen to something that long, but well as mentioned Jaffe talks very quickly and it'd be a LONG transcript.

nataku

Awesome interview. I was really surprised by a lot of his answers and I found myself nodding my heading while listening to him a few times thinking "Yeah, definitely."

Great job all around.

ant1532

Banned
Good interview so far. But who is interviewing him and why no personality? You barley made any comments on his answers and you didn't laugh at his jokes.. And they were funny...

ant1532 said:
Good interview so far. But who is interviewing him and why no personality? You barley made any comments on his answers and you didn't laugh at his jokes.. And they were funny...
David Jaffe is the star, not me

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i don't have a PS2 either. I've considered picking up a cheap PSTwo recently though, just to play GoW and GoW2 as it happens.

Kabouter

Scrow said:
i don't have a PS2 either. I've considered picking up a cheap PSTwo recently though, just to play GoW and GoW2 as it happens.

Yeah considered picking up one to play a handful of games as well, but 129e is still too much for the weakest of the last generation machines imho. It'd most likely fall out of use within a year.

Adagio

Grand interview. Cool to hear his thoughts.

Kabouter said:
Yeah considered picking up one to play a handful of games as well, but 129e is still too much for the weakest of the last generation machines imho.
:lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pikelet said:
It seems too long for something like this...
With the wrong participants, any amount of time can be too long. But Jaffe speaks very naturally, candidly and enthusiastically in this interview and Wasabi's questions are short and to the point, so the interview flies by.

Wasabi, I will say that it would have been nice if you had done some followup questions in a few instances.

Animal

Banned
David speaketh the truth.

I'm so happy he wasn't in PR mode and was just chillin' and discussing the topics honestly. In the E3 interviews, I felt like he was trying really hard not to beat the interviewer with the microphone for asking such stupid questions:lol .

That was a great interview and I really appreciated David's honesty. He was speaking as a himself, the geeky gamer, and not as a Sony employee.

It's so true, there is no need for any gaming site other than NeoGAF. Coffee and NeoGAF go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Listening now...

I think Jaffe's voice sounds a LOT like my own. Any listeners of RFN here want to agree/disagree?

Also...this is Wasabi King asking questions? He sounds just like sporsk!

Ogni-XR21

Downloaded, will listen to it tomorrow (I hope I find the time).

Regarding the transcript, maybe it could be split into 6 segments of 10 minutes, so it's not so much work for one person (don't look at me, I'm not a native speaker).

Wow, we got some deaf people in the house. Don't insult sporsk by comparing our voices.

kaching: yeah, but it would have drawn the interview to two hours long. Honestly, I was dead tired, and I know he was working late, after putting his kids to bed, but I do appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration for the next interview, whomever/whenever that will be. I've got some stuff brewing though...

BTW, for you kids that want this transcribed, I better see a lot of hits. I've slowed down it down to 1/2 speed, it's still pretty difficult to transcribe, and I type pretty damn fast. Will probably get to it this weekend, as I'll need David to correct the spelling of his colleagues.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
WasabiKing said:
Wow, we got some deaf people in the house. Don't insult sporsk by comparing our voices.

kaching: yeah, but it would have drawn the interview to two hours long. Honestly, I was dead tired, and I know he was working late, after putting his kids to bed, but I do appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration for the next interview, whomever/whenever that will be. I've got some stuff brewing though...

BTW, for you kids that want this transcribed, I better see a lot of hits. I've slowed down it down to 1/2 speed, it's still pretty difficult to transcribe, and I type pretty damn fast. Will probably get to it this weekend, as I'll need David to correct the spelling of his colleagues.

I wasn't going to say anything, but there were time's during the podcast that I seriously thought it was me talking. We sound eerily alike.

Exis

This was an awesome interview, and Jaffe has some interesting thoughts and it was good to listen to.

It was interesting that he did not seem interested in things like Physics and the technology and it will be interested on how this impacts next-gen development.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sp0rsk said:
I wasn't going to say anything, but there were time's during the podcast that I seriously thought it was me talking. We sound eerily alike.

i was thinking "this is a british sporsk" half the time, actually. :lol

great interview though.

Pikelet

With the wrong participants, any amount of time can be too long. But Jaffe speaks very naturally, candidly and enthusiastically in this interview and Wasabi's questions are short and to the point, so the interview flies by.
After just listening to it i cant agree with you more, very good interview and jaffe is my new hero

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
WasabiKing said:
Yeah, I completely understand. Having finished the whole interview now, you had plenty of questions as is.

And Jaffe's a one console future man, woohoo!

Uncle AJ

Man, he sure loves all those PSP games. Maybe someone should show him that you can get better-looking and better-playing versions of the same games on PS2! :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Mo the Hawk said:
Man, he sure loves all those PSP games. Maybe someone should show him that you can get better-looking and better-playing versions of the same games on PS2! :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Perfect interview. Jaffe you are the manz.

Seriously I wish Sony could buy the license to the Indiana Jones game so that they could let you make it. Of course that's never going to happen in life.

But then again Insomnaic is already making a Indiana Jones like game right? Jaffe would you call it Indiana Jones like?

mckmas8808 said:
Perfect interview. Jaffe you are the manz.

Seriously I wish Sony could buy the license to the Indiana Jones game so that they could let you make it. Of course that's never going to happen in life.

But then again Insomnaic is already making a Indiana Jones like game right? Jaffe would you call it Indiana Jones like?

Insomniac = Resistance FOM, Ratchet PS3

Naughty Dog = Big / Indiana Jones like

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
You mean Naughty Dog and Jaffe's point was about capturing the general charisma and depth of the Indiana Jones character as much as anything else. So while I'd put odds on ND producing a good game that might have some of the Indiana Jones flair in terms of adventure, I'll bet Jaffer wouldn't consider it a surrogate for IJ himself.

Might be wrong but I was a big IJ fan as a kid too, like Jaffe, and that's my take on ND's game. The Aeropostale lead character is not a suitable stand-in for IJ. Who knows, maybe they'll change things around a bit but, as is, I can't imagine that character really holding a candle to IJ.

quaere

I didn't have a PS2 when God of War came out and since I got one I never got around to playing it. But between this interview and the 300 trailer, I picked it up and wow I should have done so earlier. Jaffe seems like a great guy too, down to earth and understands it's really all about the games.

mckmas8808

Vincey37 said:
I didn't have a PS2 when God of War came out and since I got one I never got around to playing it. But between this interview and the 300 trailer, I picked it up and wow I should have done so earlier. Jaffe seems like a great guy too, down to earth and understands it's really all about the games.

Glad to see that you like God of War. It's one of my top 5 games on the PS2. The pacing for me was perfect.

Ploid 3.0

Thanks for the interview. Very well done, and entertaining. Hope downloadable games really take off, and more developers get into it. Nice graphics are cool to have here and there, but it would be hard to pass up fun, cheaper downloadable games.

mckmas8808

Ploid 3.0 said:
Thanks for the interview. Very well done, and entertaining. Hope downloadable games really take off, and more developers get into it. Nice graphics are cool to have here and there, but it would be hard to pass up fun, cheaper downloadable games.

Yeah I love the thought of downloading quick smaller games for $10 or less.

mrkgoo

Nice interview...I was totally expecting some kind of Sony Rep total, but it was a fun, engaging session. I want to go play God of War now.

Ristamar

Finally got around to listening to the interview. Awesome stuff. I was surprised to hear his unfavorable opinion on cut scenes and his thoughts on a "one console future." Picturing Miyamoto playing God of War is oddly amusing. And, of course, :lol @ the Jade Raymond comment.

Top Bottom