• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I haven't drawn since I was a kid.

Where do I start?

Some type of tutorial?

Or just draw as much as possible without looking at guides or the like?

I'm using a Bamboo Pen & Touch, never used one before.

I say: draw first, then look up some tutorials, then draw again. Keep switching between the two, but always draw first. If you do not have any experience to draw from when looking at the tutorials, the tutorials will just be words and pictures.

eucharis

Day 4:
tumblr_mns47j1XpS1ql6nj8o2_400.png
tumblr_mns47j1XpS1ql6nj8o1_r1_1280.png

I colored that one yesterday and sketched and lined this one today : D

Man, your line work is really good. o:
Thank you :DD I use the brush tool on paint tool sai : D
I'm trying to copy all those artists that draw with the paint effect like peppercini her art is so beautiful.
Day 4. Jennifer garner profile. 30 mins.
Note 8 with layer paint.
This is beautiful great job! It's so hard coloring realistically.

Love your style!!
If you're talking to me thank you!! :OO

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I literally haven't touched my Wacom in 3 years (at least). In fact I have an art degree and haven't created any art in the same amount of time. Depression + lack of motivation + lack of self-confidence in my skill + lack of artistic friend + several other excuses (most of which aren't really valid) = the need to practice again.

I may, MAY, not do a drawing a day, but I'll try, damn it.
Much respect for taking the initiative. Unfortunately, I can relate all too well with your situation. Those kinds of personal issues can have such a crippling snowball effect. I almost cringe whenever I think about picking up a sketch pad again. It feels like a lifetime ago, but I'm slowly working up the nerve to jump back in one day :p

This thread is really inspiring, though. Plenty of awesome participation so far. Keep at it, guys!

Nezumi

Day 2:

Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch M / Art Rage 3
~90 min

Decided that if I ever want to get better maybe I should stick to one tool at a time instead of headlessly mixing them. So I only played around with the oilbrush tool today ... well almost only, did the elektroplankton with airbrush and inkpen (^_^;)

Tomorrow I'll try watercolors.

sqwarlock

It's not much, but here's a couple of faces for today. I've never been much of a character artist, so I'm still working on developing my own style. Figure doing things like this should help.

ukkwci2.png

matellis

Neo Member
Decided that I am going to start some Destiny fan fiction when I take breaks from freelance for my own amusement (yes, I am a geek.). Here is the first image I am doing for it. A book cover about the traveler!

Here is the cheesy text I added to the Bungie forums.

Someone has just discovered a book cover in the ruins of the second last city on earth. By the looks of it the book was all about the traveler. Does this mean we once had communication with the mysterious sphere? Could it have once communicated how it ended up here? Why is it protecting us? Or is this just a book written by someone with a lot of time on their hands for kicks? We are not sure.... The robots that discovered this cover are now on a whole new mission to locate these missing pages.

We will report back soon!

-2 hours
- Photoshop CS3

ShadiWulf

Enjoying looking at the stuff people post in here, lots of great stuff :)

It's definitely better!

A couple of quick things:
  • Try using photos where the subjects face isn't tilted or skewed into perspective when you're beginning. It helps a lot. Here's a good example of a picture of Yuji Naka that may be a bit simpler.
  • One great reason to use your own face is that you know what you look like so, if you make mistakes, it's easier for you to see where you went wrong.

Got some much needed sleep! Now to work on the two sketches I owe.

Okay so I tried drawing that pic of Yuji, I think it's my best yet, but it's caused me lots of rage, and for some reason I don't think it really looks like him haha, but it's better then what I had earlier, looked like an angry american business man.

M8n1FbZ.jpg

time spent? way too much, i had to keep erasing things again, maybe im too worried about being perfect, but i felt it looked bad if i didn't erase it. I started it earlier today and rage quit, came back to it about an hour or so ago and raged again, but I'm happy enough with it to consider it my drawing of the day.

maybe I need to draw bigger, right now I'm basically drawing in the middle of my 9x12 skechbook not using the whole paper.

I'm thinking for tomorrow maybe I should try drawing form of the face, shadows and stuff, rather then worrying about detail like eyes. Just to change things up, and increase my understanding.

I normally reserve using my tablet for colour work but I really want to get into painting entirely digitally in Photoshop. I have a couple of piece which are coming along pretty slowly so I wanted to try painting something quite speedily. It still took me over an hour for this though.

Prax

ok_prax__u_had_a_bad_day_by_meibatsu-d67lwbi.png

Today sucked. Here is an autobiography. .-.

Program: Paint Tool SAI
Tool: Wacom Intuos 3
Time: 1.5 hours? idk /sobs

LuffyZoro

tErnZrW.png

I found something called FanPro. I don't agree with the idea, but it does come with a lot of free character designs.

This probably took 30 minutes, which is way too long for what it is. The proportions are all wrong.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The only thing I could work on today was finishing the comic page I had to leave unfinished for awhile due to my back. That would probably not be appropriate to post here, so I guess I'll just have to do a make up image some other time!

Totoro's a classy dude.

Yes he is.

Anyway, today's drawing:

Time: 59 minutes
Medium: GIMP + Wacom Bamboo
Notes: Sky didn't really work out as planned. In my head I had sharper light/shadow on the ground in front of my mountains. My favourite bit is the high-lights on Optimus + the cactus which took about five minutes of the time.

Edit - I actually cut the bit I like out the image to show the detail and it looks so much better than the rest of the image its vaguely upsetting.

Anteater

Day 5 - Gestures, over an hour

I'll have to do a lot more until I don't scribble a bunch of pointless lines, lol, tried to keep them in the order I did them in to see if they got better/cleaner, guess not!

Edit: combined all the pictures into one.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Day 5 - Gestures, over an hour

I'll have to do a lot more until I don't scribble a bunch of pointless lines, lol, tried to keep them in the order I did them in to see if they got better/cleaner, guess not!

Edit: combined all the pictures into one.

Are you using a reference(s)?

ShadiWulf

DSP "the king of hate" drawing

took about an hour. This time i stayed away from making the lines accurately as possible and just concentrated on sketching out the image. after looking at it on the computer the eyes look way too big, they looked ok on the paper. Oh well, just stuff to keep in mind for my drawing tomorrow. Overall I'm happy with it.

9L3DFPs.jpg

Binabik15

Nice thread. I don't draw much, I always want to really try and get better, but I have so much other stuff to do. I especially struggle with finding a style and females. All I can do is semi-decent muscle heads.

So I tried my hand at female faces yesterday when I couldn't study anymore for a while.

prettylips8odkp.jpg

I learned that I still hate using a pen, but I was too time pressured to search for a pencil

Loxley

Here's a real quick sketch of Superman, I love the Golden-age costume, so it's the one I tend to draw whenever I illustrate him.

scan0001rj.jpg

- 15-20 minutes
- Graphite
- It's not perfect, I made the usual mistakes that I tend to when I make my initial sketches (his left eye is bothering me, his hair needs a lot of cleaning up, and the \S/ looks horrible). But overall I'm fine with it.

Hopefully I can get myself to participate in this thread more often :)

Nezumi

Day 3:

Not really in the mood for creativity today so I just played around in art Rage for 15 minutes or so...

Groof

Excuse my draught these couple of days, I've been working on a few sketches for each missed day, so expect a dump tomorrow-ish!
A lot of great new art has popped up in here as well. Great work, everyone!

TCKaos

I really like this. Would love to see more.

Thanks! I think I'll make that my doodle for tomorrow. I just love that palette so much. I've only recently started experimenting with going in to cooler colors instead of straight darker colors for my shading, and it's probably the best decision I've ever made.

Today's doodle is a direct taunt to my friend who KO'd both of his Snorlax in FR/LG.

Day 2:
qNxHnIz.png

Done in maybe fifteen minutes in Photoshop CS5.

Top Bottom