• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is literally not usable for me without AdBlock anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've had to block GAF's ads for awhile now. Especially on mobile. They had begun running those obnoxious ads that force your App Store open. That's where I draw the line.

finley83

Banned
I accidentally opened an ad that set off my phone's vibration and flashed a message saying I'd won something. Closed the browser but every time I reopened I got the same thing. Some ads are ridiculous, I'd happily pay $10 one off for a no ads option.

SRG01

Another issue with the ads are that it makes my phone super hot whenever I visit the site on Mobile Opera (essentially a Webkit/Chrome fork), and it's usually a simple banner ad at the bottom of the page.

lawnchair

Banned
EDIT

Well, this page is hitting 13 (!) different URLs when you pull it up:

neogaf.com
adtechus.com
lijit.com
scorecardresearch.com
cursecdn.com
viglink.com
crwdcntrl.net
criteo.com
bluekai.com
bkrtx.com
google-analytics.com
googletagservices.com
adnxs.com

Maybe you could try blocking one of these at a time, and see which one in particular is causing your issue? Might not be the ads themselves.

i have no idea what this means, can someone explain

Pokemaniac

i have no idea what this means, can someone explain

Online advertising is complicated, and relies on a bunch of different systems. Because of this, your web browser has to contact a bunch of servers to get the necessary content. This process slows things down, and is a big contributor to bloat on web pages.

lawnchair

Banned
Online advertising is complicated, and relies on a bunch of different systems. Because of this, your web browser has to contact a bunch of servers to get the necessary content. This process slows things down, and is a big contributor to bloat on web pages.

so when i type in neogaf.com and press enter i'm connecting to 13 other websites simultaneously?

Leatherface

I have a laptop running 4G of ram using chrome and never once had an issue with GAF. Think you may have other issues on that laptop OP.

Metal-Geo

Have had some ads that slow down Safari on my iPad to almost a complete halt. I can scroll smoothly up and down when the page is (finished) loading and the reserved ad space is still empty... But the moment the ad appears, Safari becomes nearly unresponsive.

I can tell you that there are some pages on GAF that have a lot of posts with Youtube vid links that basically kill my iPhone 6's browser. Is there some way around this? I'd like to be able to view the page but not autoload all those embedded YT players.

I'm convinced the whole ad-supported internet content model is going to crash over the next few years. People will always find ways to get the content without viewing the ads, and over time people are getting wiser. It's not just tech-heads using ad and script blockers anymore. The sanctioned arrival of ad-blockers in iOS was the beginning of the end.
That's because you got 2GB of RAM and a horrible phone
- posted from my Nexus 6P

Mr. RHC

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Just turn off flash and block cookies, the shitty ads won't get through.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Does this work on the mobile site?

Because this where im getting most of my redirects..it started last week IIRC
No idea, I don't use mobile even when I'm on a mobile device. Blocking cookies should help some, but I don't know how much flash is integrated into mobile versions of sites or ads.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I can tell you that there are some pages on GAF that have a lot of posts with Youtube vid links that basically kill my iPhone 6's browser. Is there some way around this? I'd like to be able to view the page but not autoload all those embedded YT players.

I'm convinced the whole ad-supported internet content model is going to crash over the next few years. People will always find ways to get the content without viewing the ads, and over time people are getting wiser. It's not just tech-heads using ad and script blockers anymore. The sanctioned arrival of ad-blockers in iOS was the beginning of the end.
I think it is just the beginning of the end of ad blockers. I notice a lot more sites recently just won't let you view anything unless you turn ad blockers off.

They used to be diligent with ads here but I think the problems either bigger these days or they're all out of fucks to give.

I think it is just the beginning of the end of ad blockers. I notice a lot more sites recently just won't let you view anything unless you turn ad blockers off.
Yeah Forbes wouldn't even work for me after whitelisting. Fuck that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you use Ghostery, it displays 14 (!) trackers for GAF. No other site I regularly visit has that many trackers. Even The Verge, a site many here hate for bloat, has fewer. I love gaf so I don't block, particularly because I'm almost always on mobile, but 14 trackers has to be a huge hit on performance.

Meh. People will just go elsewhere.

Ryce

I have this weird issue on GAF (and nowhere else) where sometimes the text box is "frozen" and I can't write anything or submit a reply. Sometimes the entire browser freezes and I have to close out. Does this happen to anyone else? Turning on AdBlock occasionally fixes this, but I'd rather not have to resort to that.

dity

Yep, between the obnoxious Adobe ad and two other ones that send blaring music into my headphones without warning, I wouldn't blame anyone for ad-blocking.
I made a thread about the audio one the other day. No one responded to it so I just assumed it was just me. It's so annoying.

Chariot

I made a thread about the audio one the other day. No one responded to it so I just assumed it was just me. It's so annoying.
I had a Hitman ad that did that. Had my adblock active since yesterday, because I couldn't use GAF anymore. Deactivated when I saw this thread and it seems to be gone.

Really, I have no problem in whitelisting NeoGAF, but not with hyper aggressive ads that try to melt my ears.

dity

I had a Hitman ad that did that. Had my adblock active since yesterday, because I couldn't use GAF anymore. Deactivated when I saw this thread and it seems to be gone.

Really, I have no problem in whitelisting NeoGAF, but not with hyper aggressive ads that try to melt my ears.
My only choice is to actually refresh the page if one of those adverts shows up, because it loads in the background and isn't associated with an image banner ad.

Idk, maybe your laptop is the problem? I browse on my iPhone and the only threads I can't access are ones where 90 of the 100 first replies are embedded YouTube videos. Auto crashes.

Never had an issue on any PC I've used.

I always just get banner/gif ads though. Do you get video ads or something? I actually like gafs ads, they're always for anime merch or game sales for me, I've actually bought quite a bit of stuff through Gaf ads.

Nekofrog

Banned
My phone keeps getting script timeout errors on gaf and only gaf. I use Firefox on my phone. It's pretty annoying. Still not bugged about it enough to use an ad blocker but man. ..

I only have trouble with ads on Mobile Gaf actually.
There's one or two ads that INSTANTLY redirect me to another site, claiming that my phone has a virus and I should install this and that app, blabla.
Really fucking annoying.

zoozilla

Not to mention it can be a significant security risk.

SeanR1221

How do you know, exactly? Has EvilLore or someone else posted numbers?

He's hinted before.

I remember a thread where someone posted they're wife had to deposit an income check for their boss and it was huge and then evilore posted a (presumably) high check and then edited it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom