• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Official Unofficial "Is XCOM 2 coming to consoles?" shitposting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the OT of XCOM 2 launches I feel it's best to have a separate thread solely dedicated to talk about the possibility/impossibility of XCOM 2 coming to PS4, Xbox One
and Ouya
so the other thread(s) on XCOM 2 don't get derailed further and filled with ding dong bannus.

So what are the facts so far?

With the exception of that game, the only XCOM/X-com game released on consoles was 2012's XCOM Enemy Unknown with the 2013 expansion Enemy Within. This was developed by well-acclaimed, PC-focused Firaxis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM

The game worked surprisingly very well with controllers and the PC version had native controller support at launch as well.

Unfortunately, EU was a bit of a sales disappointment on consoles with total sales coming in as low as 114k reportedly. You could have prevented this, now it's too late.

When XCOM 2 was announced it was always referred to as being exclusive to the PC platform, several reasons were listed; the mod support was vastly improved, they wanted to bump up the graphics as well and felt comfortable developing for PC. Again, Firaxis' home is the PC, where the
good
Civilization games are. They also felt the changes to the interface (some soldiers can have up to 14 abilities!) played better with a mouse and keyboard and as such they didn't make controller support a priority even though it's almost assuredly coming either through 3rd party ways, mods, or Firaxis themselves through a patch.

They haven't ruled out a console port, but they haven't discussed it yet either.

ESSENTIAL FAQ

Is XCOM 2 coming to consoles?

We don't know.

Can I recruit sexy snake waifus in this game?

Wrong thread but I like the cut of your jib.

So come here and speculate and discuss and shit.

pfkas

I want this on the PC, but also want controller support so I can play it on the shield, either in bed or downstairs on the projector and so will have to wait.

eFKac

Are we gonna get such a thread for every PS4 Japanese game that's filled with PC portbegging?

Edit. For the record I'm all for these kinds of threads, portbegging shitting up a thread is the worst.

Are we gonna get such a thread for every PS4 Japanese game that's filled with PC portbegging?

Anything's possible if you believe.

Idk, I have both platforms and haven't noticed any constant PC portbegging for any game recently but I'm not huge in to most Japanese games outside of Souls so

JordanKZ

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost and even I think XCOM 2 will eventually end up on consoles. It's almost inevitable, but it's months off and will probably lack some of the features found in the PC version, unless they figure out their own mod solution...

As for Japanese console games on PC? People port beg in that situation because generally speaking, they tend to sell pretty well. Besides, who doesn't want to see a game look at its best?

Just my two cents: I've lost interest in PC gaming years ago, but, for one, I am happy there are still big-budget, PC-exclusive, KB+M-optimised games coming out. The whole "consolisation" of PC gaming was one of reasons why I just made a switch to consoles for mainstream games.

King_Moc

Banned
I'd like controller support. But I don't really care about it coming to consoles tbh. I'm sure they'll bring it over if it makes sense financially.

After how pretty much every thread with a console only game has at least a mention of 'hoping it comes to PC' this thread makes little sense. I went into the Final Fantasy thread and of course PC was mentioned in no time, that shit posting is so common I find it laughable people have an issue when it's the other way round.

I find most threads these days are filled with port begging, threads get derailed but it's a common thing. I don't know why anyone would want this game on consoles though, feel this game wouldn't be any good with a controller.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I haven't really been following the game since I thought EU was too simplistic, but have they actually taken steps and made this deeper thanks to not having to work with gamepad limitations?

jmga

After how pretty much every thread with a console only game has at least a mention of 'hoping it comes to PC' this thread makes little sense. I went into the Final Fantasy thread and of course PC was mentioned in no time, that shit posting is so common I find it laughable people have an issue when it's the other way round.

I find most threads these days are filled with port begging, threads get derailed but it's a common thing. I don't know why anyone would want this game on consoles though, feel this game wouldn't be any good with a controller.

XCOM 2 port-begging is far worse than a "hoping it comes to PC", just take a look at the review thread, for instance.

With the exception of that game, the only XCOM/X-com game released on consoles was 2012's XCOM Enemy Unknown with the 2013 expansion Enemy Within. This was developed by well-acclaimed, PC-focused Firaxis.

But UFO and TFTD were released on PlayStation :(

I also want controller support. I hope I can play this with the Steam Controller in a good way because this is going to be my first Steam Controller game

SgtCobra

Yeah kinda funny when several console exclusive games from Japan always contain these "geez I hope it's coming to Steam too!" posts. We do have that Sega PC ports petition thread though lol.

Both are equally bad nonetheless and threads like these shouldn't be needed.

PC exclusives are bad for gamers

/s
Kinda, all exclusives are bad for gamers because not everyone owns all platforms. Although exclusivity can have its upsides too like better development/funding from first party.

I play on consoles usually but there are certain games I don't mind going out of my way to play on pc. Firaxis games for one. I don't mind platforms having exclusives.

I'm gonna see how much I can play it with my Steam Controller, should be a challenge.As for a console port,I can see it happening if it sells big.Obviously the controllers may be an issue.

Lingitiz

I'm gonna see how much I can play it with my Steam Controller, should be a challenge.As for a console port,I can see it happening if it sells big.Obviously the controllers may be an issue.

It shouldn't be a problem. Touch pad controls work well for shortcuts. The last game's M/KB layout transferred well to the SC.

cyba89

XCOM 2 port-begging is far worse than a "hoping it comes to PC", just take a look at the review thread, for instance.

I looked into it and it seems like the usual Review thread crazyness to me. It's not as bad as the steam thread sometimes.
And there are far more people there complaining about the portbegging than people who are actually portbegging.

We don't like to have official shitpost threads (I made one in my days as a lowly member and it got locked
i0JO5Us.gif
). Until there's actually official news don't bother making a thread to speculate on whether it will come or not - we don't know, we don't know, we don't know. If the port beggin' just don't quit you can always snitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom