• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

danklord

Gold Member
But a Sony A95K is a 2022 tv. :)

I am hoping that once the new models arrive that it will become cheaper. Under 3000 would be nice.

I had my s95b burn out as well just last month, but it's being replaced in a few weeks. I found a 75" x95k on Amazon through their third party sellers for $2000 and am incredibly impressed. The only drag is the lack of HDMI 2.1 ports, since one is dedicated to eARC, you're pretty much down to one port so you need to get a splitter. It's not ideal for consistent picture calibration if you have a PC, PS5, and Apple TV plugged in.

I just upgraded from a 2016 43" Sony X800D to a 55" LG C2. The difference is night and day!
Back in 2019, I replaced my Sony 900E with an LG C9. I moved the Sony to my basement as a secondary game room with a PS3 and PS4. This year, I couldn’t take looking at an LCD panel any longer, with the backlight halos around text and such. I found a store that still had one brand new LG C1 in stock and bought it at a ridiculously low clearance price.

My C9 will live on until QD-OLED becomes cheap enough.

Last edited:
Got a 65" S90C and I was really, really impressed. The colored highlights specially looks fucking spectacular. But the TV is now packed and ready to be returned. I decided to go for broke and get the 77" model. Coming from a 55" I think the size difference will be much more dramatic and the 77" S90C got the second gen QD-OLED panels since Samsung didn't make first gen ones at that size. These two things pushed me towards the larger model.

GustavoLT

got a green stuck pixel yesterday on my 65" CX (2 y old), was playing Batman Arkham Knight!

Sad Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

searched a way to fix it, tried gently pressing it and nothing!

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

then I found something that I should have tried first! LG own "Pixel Updater" feature, it´s a automatic proccess that happens every accumulated 4+ hours of usage, you can also do it manually, 1 hour long the TV turns off then turns on again! when the TV turned off the green stuck pixel stayed on :messenger_frowning_, after 10 mins it turned off :pie_thinking:!! waited until TV turns on again and then...

IT WORKED!!! :messenger_beaming:

Happy Love Actually GIF

the end!

thanks for reading!!!

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I had my s95b burn out as well just last month, but it's being replaced in a few weeks. I found a 75" x95k on Amazon through their third party sellers for $2000 and am incredibly impressed. The only drag is the lack of HDMI 2.1 ports, since one is dedicated to eARC, you're pretty much down to one port so you need to get a splitter. It's not ideal for consistent picture calibration if you have a PC, PS5, and Apple TV plugged in.
Maybe time to invest in an HDMI 2.1 switch.

61oTnHHMsLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've been using that one and it's working fine(stable 4K HDR 120 Hz signal, smart auto switching, VRR works, Atmos works, even getting 5.1 PCM surround from switch games).

Last edited:

Woffls

Don't suppose anyone has ever found a resource that keeps track of the measurements between VESA holes and the edge of the screen? LG in particular, but kinda interested to see if any manufactures make this information easy to find.

danklord

Gold Member
Maybe time to invest in an HDMI 2.1 switch.

61oTnHHMsLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've been using that one and it's working fine(stable 4K HDR 120 Hz signal, smart auto switching, VRR works, Atmos works, even getting 5.1 PCM surround from switch games).
Yeah… a pretty obvious solution!

Sadly, picture settings don’t map to an external switcher, and on Sony TVs you have to determine whether the external input is Dolby Vision or VRR in software.

Stafford

I love the Sony A95K but the sound I expected a little more from. I don't have a speaker system or soundbar, so it's TV audio for now. It's clear enough, but it's lacking in bass. Can I do something about that?

Ulysses 31

I love the Sony A95K but the sound I expected a little more from. I don't have a speaker system or soundbar, so it's TV audio for now. It's clear enough, but it's lacking in bass. Can I do something about that?
Without a subwoofer, nop. That's why should want a soundbar + subwoofer to go along with TVs.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Newer Tvs are super small, it's not possible to get good bass. Even most big soundbars with integrated bass suck. You'll have to spend some money on a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer and let me tell you from my own sad experiences: Don't buy a cheap trash soundbar when you have a good tv, because the tv will sound much better (except bass obviuosly). Cheap soundbars will only get you great bass, but everything else especially voices will sound like a tin can.

my LG CX has a faint horizontal line going across it right in the middle. it's not noticeable most of the time but on certain things it sticks out. also have a vertical line at the left of the screen. It's not the pixels. I want to say "backlight" but I know OLEDs don't have backlights.

I have been playing a lot of games on my TV recently so thought it was that but I don't know how it could be. It's not burn in because I've not been watching anything with a line going through the screen.

Hopefully it clears up with some pixel cleaning runs. I've had the TV for almost 3 years now. It's still under warranty and insurance. Maybe in another year I'll think about making a claim against the insurance to see what happens.

got a green stuck pixel yesterday on my 65" CX (2 y old), was playing Batman Arkham Knight!

Sad Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

searched a way to fix it, tried gently pressing it and nothing!

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

then I found something that I should have tried first! LG own "Pixel Updater" feature, it´s a automatic proccess that happens every accumulated 4+ hours of usage, you can also do it manually, 1 hour long the TV turns off then turns on again! when the TV turned off the green stuck pixel stayed on :messenger_frowning_, after 10 mins it turned off :pie_thinking:!! waited until TV turns on again and then...

IT WORKED!!! :messenger_beaming:

Happy Love Actually GIF

the end!

thanks for reading!!!
stuck pixels have a chance of recovering.

my TV has a fuck load of dead pixels :(

Luipadre

Gonna order the lg 27 OLED monitor next month. I was between this and the asus, but im using 40% brightness on my IPS monitor, so dont think the dimmer display will be a problem for me and i trust LG more than asus when it comes to OLED tech, even tho its the same panel. Dimmer screen means longer lifespan.

Valonquar

I'm replacing a 2017 XBR 65" that died with a 2023 LG OLED C3 83". Installers coming on the 15th. Can't wait. I'm a bit miffed the XBR died so soon. Tried testing the power brick but it was fine. Didn't seem worth having it repaired.

Last edited:
I'm replacing a 2017 XBR 65" that died with a 2023 LG OLED C3 83". Installers coming on the 15th. Can't wait. I'm a bit miffed the XBR died so soon. Tried testing the power brick but it was fine. Didn't seem worth having it repaired.
I'm looking to get a 65 inch C3 model soon since they have fixed the auto dimming issues with a firmware patch that won't void the warranty. I've been gaming on a plasma for years and can't detach from it, but I think it's time.

Stafford

So my buddy is visiting me later this month and he'll bring Zelda TotK with him. I definitely want to see that on the Sony A95K. I've heard a lot of praise about how lower res games can look damn good on this TV. The setting that really improves it is reality creation, correct? Where should I set this at?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Seems like just yesterday OLED TVs had carbon fiber backs, were curved 1080p displays, and cost $10k. We’ve sure come a long way over the past 5 years.

While I really do miss my LG's handling of low bitrate content qd-oled's specular color highlights are something to behold on this s90c no more dim HDR content. It definitely took a few days for me to appreciate the difference when watching content but gaming was immediately apparent. Only issue i have is I just wish HDR 10+ was more widely supported

Stafford

For the first time I'm having some issues with the Sony. The UI basically has become so slow, it has pretty much frozen on me. It does still respond but with a huge delay. It's not going away either. Why does this happen and is there a fix or is this a matter of turning it off and on again when this occurs?

It actually doesn't even respond to the power button now, great. This happened while I was on the main menu with all the apps. I've never had it when using consoles.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

i just got a Samsung QD Oled 65” on the store it looked really great. And the sound was amazing. I am just waiting for it to be delivered . It seems the blacks are as good as LG but the colors are more vibrant.

mitchman

Gold Member
i just got a Samsung QD Oled 65” on the store it looked really great. And the sound was amazing. I am just waiting for it to be delivered . It seems the blacks are as good as LG but the colors are more vibrant.
Shame about the lack of support for Dolby Vision though. But the 95C is looking like a very nice TV otherwise. Personally, I expect to replace my B9 with a G3 this winter, just want to see some price drops first.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a Sony XBR-48A9S which is 6' away from me. I love it. I picked it because the processor is so nice the menus and app launching are much snappier than other brands I've used and the motion processing is fantastic. I can actually use some of the motion smoothing to help 30fps games without introducing artifacts or more lag than they already had from being 30fps. I did have to turn off Dolby Vision to play Street Fighter 6 because that added too much latency, but other than that it is just perfect. This is the first display I've had where I felt it matched CRT quality, but then it also surpassed. Many were passing on it for lacking 120fps and VRR that LG had but that is some bleeding-edge stuff that most don't even incorporate and I wouldn't prefer anyway unless I had a super powerful PC.

It's so nice I often prefer watching movies at home rather than the theater now.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For the first time I'm having some issues with the Sony. The UI basically has become so slow, it has pretty much frozen on me. It does still respond but with a huge delay. It's not going away either. Why does this happen and is there a fix or is this a matter of turning it off and on again when this occurs?

It actually doesn't even respond to the power button now, great. This happened while I was on the main menu with all the apps. I've never had it when using consoles.
Then maybe it's a android OS issue? Can you factory reset? It could be annoying, but since it is connected to google maybe it has your settings and app infos in cloud storage?

Matsuchezz

Shame about the lack of support for Dolby Vision though. But the 95C is looking like a very nice TV otherwise. Personally, I expect to replace my B9 with a G3 this winter, just want to see some price drops first.

I went to the store to buy the C3 then they showed me the G3 but the damn Samsung guy sold me on the s95C. I was looking at God of War Ragnarok and that game looked fucking great. And I think the s95C has the Xbox gamepass app which is native to the TV. I will try the sucker for a few months with the 1 dollar promotion.

Last edited:
The LG C3 arrived early yesterday and I'm mostly impressed with it so far. Depending on what you are upgrading from, I'd say it's worth the investment.

Stafford

Then maybe it's a android OS issue? Can you factory reset? It could be annoying, but since it is connected to google maybe it has your settings and app infos in cloud storage?

I'm gonna try to prevent it by fully powering off the TV every two weeks or so. According to Reddit this is a known issue. Definitely sounds like a Android issue yeah, cache getting too full or something.

Astray

Gold Member
I'm gonna try to prevent it by fully powering off the TV every two weeks or so. According to Reddit this is a known issue. Definitely sounds like a Android issue yeah, cache getting too full or something.
Try to restart the tv if you haven't already (long press the on/off switch on your remote then choose restart).

My Sony sometimes gets sluggish on me and I find a restart always corrects it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been getting back into RE games and noticed some interesting HDR behavior:
-HDR on pc is broken af right now. It didn't use to be this way (I finished all RE games on pc and Village onwards on oled too). If it's super washed out, restart your pc.... nvidia broke something and reset will fix it but you have to launch the game quickly after restart lol. But even then, The HDR slider in game is not functioning correctly... sometimes After fresh driver reinstall, I was able to make the white square blend in on last click in re2/3 remake (with dtm on last quare and with hgig on 5th) but restart later and now it's still visible. It's not like that on ps5 btw. I have the games on ps5 too and hdr there behaves like it did previously on PC. Maybe it's win11 calibration tool messing stuff up but it shouldn't even affect the game.
-The HDR sliders in this game are misleading too. I am only talking about max brightness slider. It is CLIPPING/CUTTING everything above the level you set it to. No matter if you play with DTM or HGIG.
If You calibrate to click 5-6 (800 nits) like here https://www.hdrgamer.com/2022/01/resident-evil-village-ps5-hdr-peak.html ,then you will actually clip all the highlights that should be brighter. The game is not compressing highlights from it's master 4000 to 800 nits. It's clipping them!!! All RE games do that. If You set the slider to maximum right position(4000 nits), then you will get more details in highlights, like more gradient on fire and light sources.
-The use of HGIG or DTM is up to you. DTM is a bit better with 4k nits slider but it's a dark game so hgig is fine. I use DTM and max slider personally but I might change later.

I found a vid showing this off.

And this got me thinking... What other games we've been setting wrong and clipping off the details. You can't even trust game HDR settings... even more so on nvidia gpus right now. it's strange because HDR on pc worked perfectly few months back.

Stafford

Lord almighty are some people......well I guess weird is the right word.

A while ago I commented to a YouTube video by one of the channels I follow. It was about Samsung and I said I switched to Sony. This dude replies and says he never had any issues with the S95B, and that I should not try to justify spending so much more money on a Sony TV, because that would be offensive.

Lmao man. All I said was that I had a hugely inconsistent experience with the S95B and I sure as hell am not the only one and that while sure, the Sony A95K is significantly pricier I'm just super happy I finally found the TV that is 100% right for me. Finally no worries, all is well.

Some people and their attitude and defending of million dollar companies, bruh.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 i've been using the LG monitor for over 2 weeks now. Loving it. Currently playing remnant and it looks fantastic on it. Such a great monitor with good build quality and excellent image
Its amazing how clean these OLED monitors look after coming from IPS panels even for 1440p panels

And not to mention how smooth pushing games at 240hz can look

My biggest complaint so far is on the 27" I had the battery tray for the remote little screw stripped out super easy but LG shipped me a new remote

I kind of wish the went with a rechargeable remote as I like the remote on the Samsung Odyssey 43" monitor since it plugged in and could see the charge level on screen but first world problems I guess :)

Bojji

I've been getting back into RE games and noticed some interesting HDR behavior:
-HDR on pc is broken af right now. It didn't use to be this way (I finished all RE games on pc and Village onwards on oled too). If it's super washed out, restart your pc.... nvidia broke something and reset will fix it but you have to launch the game quickly after restart lol. But even then, The HDR slider in game is not functioning correctly... sometimes After fresh driver reinstall, I was able to make the white square blend in on last click in re2/3 remake (with dtm on last quare and with hgig on 5th) but restart later and now it's still visible. It's not like that on ps5 btw. I have the games on ps5 too and hdr there behaves like it did previously on PC. Maybe it's win11 calibration tool messing stuff up but it shouldn't even affect the game.
-The HDR sliders in this game are misleading too. I am only talking about max brightness slider. It is CLIPPING/CUTTING everything above the level you set it to. No matter if you play with DTM or HGIG.
If You calibrate to click 5-6 (800 nits) like here https://www.hdrgamer.com/2022/01/resident-evil-village-ps5-hdr-peak.html ,then you will actually clip all the highlights that should be brighter. The game is not compressing highlights from it's master 4000 to 800 nits. It's clipping them!!! All RE games do that. If You set the slider to maximum right position(4000 nits), then you will get more details in highlights, like more gradient on fire and light sources.
-The use of HGIG or DTM is up to you. DTM is a bit better with 4k nits slider but it's a dark game so hgig is fine. I use DTM and max slider personally but I might change later.

I found a vid showing this off.

And this got me thinking... What other games we've been setting wrong and clipping off the details. You can't even trust game HDR settings... even more so on nvidia gpus right now. it's strange because HDR on pc worked perfectly few months back.

Thanks for this, I always thought HDR looked a bit shitty in re games (i think they have raised black level), this is another issue.

Stafford

Thanks for this, I always thought HDR looked a bit shitty in re games (i think they have raised black level), this is another issue.

They absolutely do and it's a shame. Really noticed it in the demo of RE2R. People kept telling me it's a artistic choice, since other areas are indeed pitch black, but I dislike it. I wish it was like Dead Space. It was perfect there.

Lord almighty are some people......well I guess weird is the right word.

A while ago I commented to a YouTube video by one of the channels I follow. It was about Samsung and I said I switched to Sony. This dude replies and says he never had any issues with the S95B, and that I should not try to justify spending so much more money on a Sony TV, because that would be offensive.

Lmao man. All I said was that I had a hugely inconsistent experience with the S95B and I sure as hell am not the only one and that while sure, the Sony A95K is significantly pricier I'm just super happy I finally found the TV that is 100% right for me. Finally no worries, all is well.

Some people and their attitude and defending of million dollar companies, bruh.
Yeah while I love the s90c it's definitely not without some short comings principally low end content upscaling is horrible 😢 almost a deal breaker if it wasn't for game mode looking so damn good. But like you I can't see myself not having qdoled after experiencing it so I might be going the Sony route next time

Bojji

They absolutely do and it's a shame. Really noticed it in the demo of RE2R. People kept telling me it's a artistic choice, since other areas are indeed pitch black, but I dislike it. I wish it was like Dead Space. It was perfect there.

Yeah, I tested RE2R when I got OLED and it looked like shit, when I turned HDR off it looked much better. Fuck their artistic vision, implementation is clearly broken.

Stafford

Yeah while I love the s90c it's definitely not without some short comings principally low end content upscaling is horrible 😢 almost a deal breaker if it wasn't for game mode looking so damn good. But like you I can't see myself not having qdoled after experiencing it so I might be going the Sony route next time
Yep! Once you go QD-OLED, you don't go back. After I decided to return the S95B I was on the fence about a 77 inch LG G2, but I knew I would be going back to a dimmer screen, worse screen uniformity (just like the S95B the Sony A95K is so clean) probably things like banding too. Just when I've finally gotten rid of it. QD-OLED all the way.
Yeah, I tested RE2R when I got OLED and it looked like shit, when I turned HDR off it looked much better. Fuck their artistic vision, implementation is clearly broken.

RDR2 has a inconsistent HDR implementation too. During daytime it looks awesome, truly a big difference and improvement over SDR, but at night time it's just too bright. I managed to get night time looking good and proper dark by changing the black level setting on the TV, but that kind of stuff shouldn't be necessary. You might try that for RE though.

Luipadre

Its amazing how clean these OLED monitors look after coming from IPS panels even for 1440p panels

And not to mention how smooth pushing games at 240hz can look

My biggest complaint so far is on the 27" I had the battery tray for the remote little screw stripped out super easy but LG shipped me a new remote

I kind of wish the went with a rechargeable remote as I like the remote on the Samsung Odyssey 43" monitor since it plugged in and could see the charge level on screen but first world problems I guess :)

Do you have any issues with gsync? Sometimes i feel awful stuttering, but when i check my fps its like jumping between 70-80, so totally normal, but when i look at the monitor hz, its all over the place, like 40 to 120 to 240 to back to the actual fps and thats it when the awful stuttering happens and feels like the game running at sub 30. I noticed this in D4, remnant 2 and now in BG3. Its not always like this, but when its doing it, its super annoying. Its mostly fine like 95% of the time. I tried fullscreen, borderless, vsync on and off. Nothing seems to work

Last edited:

Stafford

I bet I'm starting to sound like a broken record by now, probably way past that point now....but....

The Sony A95K really, really IS the truth. I remember very well how A Plague Tale Requiem looked on the Samsung S95B and I'm now playing it on the Sony A95K and the difference in clarity is very noticeable, and don't even get me started on the motion handling. The 40fps mode in that game is coming very close to the feeling of 60fps, love it!

Yep, the TV cost me a pretty penny and I had never before spent this much on a TV but man it's a fucking beast. Doesn't matter what I throw at it, it's majestic. Cannot wait to see how Starfield looks on it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you have any issues with gsync? Sometimes i feel awful stuttering, but when i check my fps its like jumping between 70-80, so totally normal, but when i look at the monitor hz, its all over the place, like 40 to 120 to 240 to back to the actual fps and thats it when the awful stuttering happens and feels like the game running at sub 30. I noticed this in D4, remnant 2 and now in BG3. Its not always like this, but when its doing it, its super annoying. Its mostly fine like 95% of the time. I tried fullscreen, borderless, vsync on and off. Nothing seems to work
I did have issues with D4 with GSync but trying to recall what I did to fix it as I wont be home for a few weeks to actually look at my settings.

Off the top of my head I think I disabled the in game vsync and set my frames to 220 maybe?

I know I limited my frames and think I tried even a really high number like 400 and maybe that was the fix?

Not a lot of help I know right now sadly :(

I bet I'm starting to sound like a broken record by now, probably way past that point now....but....

The Sony A95K really, really IS the truth. I remember very well how A Plague Tale Requiem looked on the Samsung S95B and I'm now playing it on the Sony A95K and the difference in clarity is very noticeable, and don't even get me started on the motion handling. The 40fps mode in that game is coming very close to the feeling of 60fps, love it!

Yep, the TV cost me a pretty penny and I had never before spent this much on a TV but man it's a fucking beast. Doesn't matter what I throw at it, it's majestic. Cannot wait to see how Starfield looks on it.
If you can afford it do it. We are all going to die as nobody is making it out of here alive.

I love my new 77" C3 that replaced my 55" c9.

Luipadre

I did have issues with D4 with GSync but trying to recall what I did to fix it as I wont be home for a few weeks to actually look at my settings.

Off the top of my head I think I disabled the in game vsync and set my frames to 220 maybe?

I know I limited my frames and think I tried even a really high number like 400 and maybe that was the fix?

Not a lot of help I know right now sadly :(

My problem is that the ingame fps is not matching the monitor refresh rate sometimes. Doesnt matter if its high or low. Gsync not working altogether is another issues, but thats just how it works on freesync monitors. Sometimes alt tab fixes it, sometimes you need to turn vsync off or on.

Stafford

If you can afford it do it. We are all going to die as nobody is making it out of here alive.

I love my new 77" C3 that replaced my 55" c9.

Exactly! I was just so tired of the issues with the Samsung TV, I decided that enough is enough. And as long as my dog can eat good, I can eat good, it's worth it.

:)

77 inch, that's awesome. I used to have the C9 as well, fantastic TV.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Exactly! I was just so tired of the issues with the Samsung TV, I decided that enough is enough. And as long as my dog can eat good, I can eat good, it's worth it.

:)

77 inch, that's awesome. I used to have the C9 as well, fantastic TV.
I dont see a reason to ditch my s95b (I keep it offline with an apple tv, hated the samsung OS lol) but ive seen the sony irl and its awesome.

My next purchase will be bigger in size for sure, looking for 77" or 83", so probably LG

I dont see a reason to ditch my s95b (I keep it offline with an apple tv, hated the samsung OS lol) but ive seen the sony irl and its awesome.

My next purchase will be bigger in size for sure, looking for 77" or 83", so probably LG
I stick with LG because of the 2.1 HDMi ports. I'm not sure these days why they even don't go to 6 ports.

Top Bottom