• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

acidagfc

LG C3 models have dropped in price significantly, so I pulled the plug today, getting my 55" C3 delivered in a few hours.
Have Interstellar and Matrix 4k blurays ready, as well as PS5 loaded with all sorts of stuff.

Was using regular sdr led tvs before, ready to have my pants blown off!

Last edited:
dyingman2.jpg

pulled the plug

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
LG C3 models have dropped in price significantly, so I pulled the plug today, getting my 55" C3 delivered in a few hours.
Have Interstellar and Matrix 4k blurays ready, as well as PS5 loaded with all sorts of stuff.

Fantastic!!!! Don’t sleep on dynamic tone mapping. Everyone and their grandmother will tell you to use hgig.
But don’t listen to them. Try out dtm. It’s using your tv to beat of its capabilities. And c3 have improved dtm too

Bojji

Fantastic!!!! Don’t sleep on dynamic tone mapping. Everyone and their grandmother will tell you to use hgig.
But don’t listen to them. Try out dtm. It’s using your tv to beat of its capabilities. And c3 have improved dtm too

HGIG is better! From what I have tested DTM can increase brightness in dark scenes (not good) and lower it in bright scenes, sometimes it produces better image buy most of the time properly calibrated HGIG is better.

But of course everyone likes different things.

HGIG is objectively superior. There is absolutely no room for debate. Certain people just prefer an overall brighter, less accurate image. It's the modern equivalent of people who insist on VIVID mode with their 1996 CRT.

King Dazzar

HGIG is better! From what I have tested DTM can increase brightness in dark scenes (not good) and lower it in bright scenes, sometimes it produces better image buy most of the time properly calibrated HGIG is better.

On my C1, I found I would generally love it in day time scenes where the panel might struggle with normal APL, but then hit night time and nights would be too bright.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

And hgig often just looks like if it was off.
I used it for 2 years and now with DTM, I am rediscovering hdr

Bojji

And hgig often just looks like if it was off.
I used it for 2 years and now with DTM, I am rediscovering hdr

When HGIG looks like off is because game is not displaying HDR brightness in those scenes.

FsPqyOI.jpg

^ Everything in grey is in SDR color space and blue and green are below 400 nits, HGIG will display everything correctly while DTM usually increases brightness off non bright elements of the screen. Some games are too dark in HDR and DTM might look better but for sure it's not what developers intended.

This is Ryse with RTX HDR, HGIG will leave only armor highlights in full brightness, DTM would make image more "flat" by also increasing brightness of more elements.

jRQnuUq.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
When HGIG looks like off is because game is not displaying HDR brightness in those scenes.

FsPqyOI.jpg

^ Everything i grey is in SDR color space and blue and green is below 400 nits, HGIG will display everything correctly while DTM usually increases brightness off non bright elements of the screen. Some games are too dark in HDR and DTM might look better but for sure it's not what developers intended.

This is Ryse with RTX HDR, HGIG will leave only armor highlights in full brightness, DTM would make image more "flat" by also blighting up more elements.

jRQnuUq.jpg
I know I know.
I've been over this many times.
In the end, hgig is a bit dark and DTM uses all of my tv.

But to say hgig ismore accurate is not entirely true. Many games don't have any hdr calibration and DTM allows you to take 100,2000 and even 4000nits and comrpress it down to your oled.
In a game that supports proper HDR, hgig and dtm will look very similar like in hogwarts legacy.

Bojji

I know I know.
I've been over this many times.
In the end, hgig is a bit dark and DTM uses all of my tv.

But to say hgig ismore accurate is not entirely true. Many games don't have any hdr calibration and DTM allows you to take 100,2000 and even 4000nits and comrpress it down to your oled.
In a game that supports proper HDR, hgig and dtm will look very similar like in hogwarts legacy.

I know about this stuff and and it's fucked up that consoles/windows calibrations are completely omitted by 90% of the devs.

Many games have their own calibration screens but just like you said many other games have absolutely nothing. I love "HDR ON/OFF" from Uncharted 4 lol.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has only maximum brightness but who the fuck knows what that brightness is when game has this on scale from 0 to 10 without corresponding nit value.

I agree that sometimes DTM might produce more accurate image but at the same time maybe not because games that go up to 4000 nits are probably doing it only for highlights and most of the screen is in "normal" HDR range just like that Witcher analysis.

Last edited:

Interstellar, pretty much any space based movie like it and Ad Astra really, look amazing on an OLED. Really showcases the per pixel level of brightness control the displays are known for. Going from an SDR LED to HDR OLED should be quite the jump (y)

Kerotan

I read year's ago how it would be more cost production for TV manufacturers to make 8k screens increased of 4k. Are we close to them switching their main flag ships to 8k? When the Sony QD OLED become 8k?

JackMcGunns

OLED is amazing. I'd never go back. I do wish I'd gotten a 70" vs the 65" though

When I went from 50" Pano to a 64" Sammy I was like WHOA, big difference, but recently I just upgraded from my 64" to a 77" Sony A80J, beautiful display, but the size difference is not as impactful as it was going from 50 to 64, in fact I think I would've been better off going with the QD-OLED at 65", but I wanted the size upgrade as well, so I settled for the A80J 77". I think in order to get the same impact I did before, I would have to go up to 83" OLED, but the price was astronomical as only the A90J was available at that size, Sony doesn't make A80J's at 83" sadly.

saintjules

I read year's ago how it would be more cost production for TV manufacturers to make 8k screens increased of 4k. Are we close to them switching their main flag ships to 8k? When the Sony QD OLED become 8k?

I see it continuing to be a buzzword, but until something actually showcases true 8k on display, I don't see it being a flagship for any series. Of course I could be wrong.

Kerotan

I see it continuing to be a buzzword, but until something actually showcases true 8k on display, I don't see it being a flagship for any series. Of course I could be wrong.
Yeah it's likely but 8k at 65" upwards does look better even if it's just upscaled.

Samsung Displays (nor LG) haven't shown viable mass-produced 8K sets. Samsung's flagship is 8K QLED, and Sony is supposedly developing a mini-backlight LCD 8K next-gen flagship with 4000 nits as well.
However, 8K by itself doesn't do much since there's no content for it, and there isn't anything on the horizon either.

Kerotan

Samsung Displays (nor LG) haven't shown viable mass-produced 8K sets. Samsung's flagship is 8K QLED, and Sony is supposedly developing a mini-backlight LCD 8K next-gen flagship with 4000 nits as well.
However, 8K by itself doesn't do much since there's no content for it, and there isn't anything on the horizon either.
Yeah I get you but don't you agree 4k upscaled to 8k looks better?

King Dazzar

Why would it?
Theoretically I could agree, its just taking one pixel and multiplying it by 4. But on my Sony 8k set, it brings out more detail. Its subtle but its definitely there. And I believe its a combination of the upscaling algorithm together with far greater pixel density. It might also be that when you add any further picture processing into it, it also benefits from having 4 times the pixels. Historically I've always preferred one to one pixel mapping, but with 8k thats no longer the case. At least it isnt for Sony 8k.

Bojji

Theoretically I could agree, its just taking one pixel and multiplying it by 4. But on my Sony 8k set, it brings out more detail. Its subtle but its definitely there. And I believe its a combination of the upscaling algorithm together with far greater pixel density. It might also be that when you add any further picture processing into it, it also benefits from having 4 times the pixels. Historically I've always preferred one to one pixel mapping, but with 8k thats no longer the case. At least it isnt for Sony 8k.

Same reason that Apple’s Retina displays looked superior using the same method. Elimination of aliasing and allowing non-native resolutions to still have native resolution quality.

With standard upscaling methods 4k upscaled to 8k shouldn't look any better than 4k on 4k display.

Tvs have build in ai upscalers so it will look better than normal upscaling but obviously not as good as native 8k source. I don't think buying 8k tv to watch (pretty much only) upscaled content is a good investment.

Last edited:
Hey, you need 8K to get perfect integer scaling of 480i/p content. That's all I'm saying. :messenger_sunglasses:

With standard upscaling methods 4k upscaled to 8k shouldn't look any better than 4k on 4k display
I was referring to non-4K resolutions. Stuff like 1800p, 1440p, 16xx, or any variety of resolution in between. It could remove the need for the game to provide it's own software scaling from the dynamically rendered resolution to 4K as we currently do.

That said, in research and in practice, technology like Apple's retina display shows that even a simple integer scale can still be perceived as sharper on a higher resolution panel.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

With standard upscaling methods 4k upscaled to 8k shouldn't look any better than 4k on 4k display.

Tvs have build in ai upscalers so it will look better than normal upscaling but obviously not as good as native 8k source. I don't think buying 8k tv to watch (pretty much only) upscaled content is a good investment.
Yeah, the question was if 4k upscaled looked better (which on my 8k panel it does), not if it was worth the outlay. Whenever I go and see other TV's, I immediately notice the loss of the subtle detail refinement. But thats with my Sony. I dont notice it with 8k Samsungs. There could be other factors at play, like the specific AUO panel used. But I doubt thats the case. As its top tier OLED's I've noticed the difference with too.

It is subtle. But personally I'd miss it if I stepped away from my 8k panel. Is it worth the extra outlay, just for that refinement of detail? Probably not, but theres no way I'd part with it, if I was offered my money back. Though you could tempt me away with an 83"+ sized QD-OLED when they come.

Bojji

Hey, you need 8K to get perfect integer scaling of 480i/p content. That's all I'm saying. :messenger_sunglasses:

I was referring to non-4K resolutions. Stuff like 1800p, 1440p, 16xx, or any variety of resolution in between. It could remove the need for the game to provide it's own software scaling from the dynamically rendered resolution to 4K as we currently do.

That said, in research and in practice, technology like Apple's retina display shows that even a simple integer scale can still be perceived as sharper on a higher resolution panel.

Yeah, the question was if 4k upscaled looked better (which on my 8k panel it does), not if it was worth the outlay. Whenever I go and see other TV's, I immediately notice the loss of the subtle detail refinement. But thats with my Sony. I dont notice it with 8k Samsungs. There could be other factors at play, like the specific AUO panel used. But I doubt thats the case. As its top tier OLED's I've noticed the difference with too.

It is subtle. But personally I'd miss it if I stepped away from my 8k panel. Is it worth the extra outlay, just for that refinement of detail? Probably not, but theres no way I'd part with it, if I was offered my money back. Though you could tempt me away with an 83"+ sized QD-OLED when they come.

I don't have 8k screen to confirm what you are experiencing.

But so far technology upgrades looked like this:

- 720p content looked the best on "hd ready" screens (1366x768 usually), PS3 games looked great on 32 inch screen, but when I switched to 40 inch 1080p screen... Not anymore.
- 1080p content looked the best on 1080p screens. PS4 games on screens like that look great but on 4k screens you see lack of details and sharpness immediately.
- 4k content looks great on 4k screens. In theory it should look worse on 8k screen because upscaling but with ai upscaling and higher pixel density maybe it looks ok, I don't know.

Last edited:
I didn't knew this thread existed. I've been meaning to ask this for days and I get no balanced answer anywhere over the internet.

Question: What picture settings should I keep on my LG C2 to have the best visual experience and avoid burn-in (Brightness, Contrast, Colour)
POV - I only use this television for gaming and nothing else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I didn't knew this thread existed. I've been meaning to ask this for days and I get no balanced answer anywhere over the internet.

Question: What picture settings should I keep on my LG C2 to have the best visual experience and avoid burn-in (Brightness, Contrast, Colour)
Game mode
color temp Warm50 - trust me, will look yellow for 10 minutes then if you switch to 0 you will see how blue it was. Warm50 is d65
sharpness 0
HDR Hgig or DTM - your choice. I like DTM
Oled pixel brightness in SDR down to 50
Energy saving off
audio mode CINEMATIC
Bass boost ON under AI audio
All AI settings off both for video and audio

Don't touch contrast, hdr brightness, gamma, colopr depth and all that stuff. It's fine.
You can use PC input mode. Not sure i it's needed on c2 though

King Dazzar

I don't have 8k screen to confirm what you are experiencing.

But so far technology upgrades looked like this:

- 720p content looked the best on "hd ready" screens (1366x768 usually), PS3 games looked great on 32 inch screen, but when I switched to 40 inch 1080p screen... Not anymore.
- 1080p content looked the best on 1080p screens. PS4 games on screens like that look great but on 4k screens you see lack of details and sharpness immediately.
- 4k content looks great on 4k screens. In theory it should look worse on 8k screen because upscaling but with ai upscaling and higher pixel density maybe it looks ok, I don't know.
Yeah I covered that off on one of my earlier posts. I agree, historically, I prefer one to one pixel mapping, which is what you're saying too. But with 4k, it benefits with being upscaled, for Sony 8k at least. I bought my 8k panel, thinking I might be returning it, but I was genuinely surprised. Of course, I can only tell you what my own eyes see.

Only other finding I've had, is that generally, the 8k panel prefers decent quality content. Start dropping to 720p and below and I prefer my 4k OLED to be dealing with it.

Don't touch contrast, hdr brightness, gamma, colopr depth and all that stuff. It's fine.

are you sure about that, I mean by default the hdr brightness was around 90 in game mode, the colour depth was 55 and contrast was at full 100
I've read and seen on YT that the major burn in problems happens because of these high settings. So I dipped everything down to 60 and I don't feel like I'm playing on OLED now. I want those settings to be by default but I don't want the burn in issue as well. What should I do?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
are you sure about that, I mean by default the hdr brightness was around 90 in game mode, the colour depth was 55 and contrast was at full 100
I've read and seen on YT that the major burn in problems happens because of these high settings. So I dipped everything down to 60 and I don't feel like I'm playing on OLED now. I want those settings to be by default but I don't want the burn in issue as well. What should I do?
in sdr default brightness was 90. Around 30-50 is closer to proiper 100-120 nits for sdr.
for HDR, don't touch it. it's at 100.

Don't worry about burn-in mate. I am 8000 hours on my c1 and not a sign of it.
I even disabled absl with service remote 4k hours ago (auto dimming in dark scenes and so on).
The only precaution I do is having all the default pixel shifter and logo dimmer (low) still enabled as default and on windows, I autohide taskbar and have wallpaper randomized every 1 minute and black blank screen saver every 2 minutes of inactivity.
In don't use black wallpaper like everyone because it's nonsense. I like to view THE WORLD WIDE WEB in window and then the screen would only get use in the middle. so wth random wallpapers (m screenshots) all screen gets use.
Do not unplug the tv and DO NOT DISABLE POWER STRIP after tv use. I will compensate pixels for 7-10 minutes after turning off the tv after 4 hours.

Last edited:

Keep it simple. I used the following settings for four years on an LG C9 OLED and 5700 hours of gaming with absolutely no damage to my screen:

Use default values of game mode, except change tone mapping to HGIG. Calibrate HDR using your console or PC. That’s literally it. It’s perfect.

in sdr default brightness was 90. Around 30-50 is closer to proiper 100-120 nits for sdr.
for HDR, don't touch it. it's at 100.

Don't worry about burn-in mate. I am 8000 hours on my c1 and not a sign of it.
I even disabled absl with service remote 4k hours ago (auto dimming in dark scenes and so on).
The only precaution I do is having all the default pixel shifter and logo dimmer (low) still enabled as default and on windows, I autohide taskbar and have wallpaper randomized every 1 minute and black blank screen saver every 2 minutes of inactivity.
In don't use black wallpaper like everyone because it's nonsense. I like to view THE WORLD WIDE WEB in window and then the screen would only get use in the middle. so wth random wallpapers (m screenshots) all screen gets use.
Do not unplug the tv and DO NOT DISABLE POWER STRIP after tv use. I will compensate pixels for 7-10 minutes after turning off the tv after 4 hours.

Alright, so I'll go back to my default settings with minor switches and I'm done. Will be doing this after I reach home. Thanks! 🙏

Keep it simple. I used the following settings for four years on an LG C9 OLED and 5700 hours of gaming with absolutely no damage to my screen:

Use default values of game mode, except change tone mapping to HGIG. Calibrate HDR using your console or PC. That’s literally it. It’s perfect.

Yep, I was a tad scared after all those burn in talks. It totally diminished my playing experience after dialling down my settings.
I'm going to switch back without being scared of burn in. This is why user reviews are important.

so when we gonna get hdmi2.2?

im ready for a big ass 8k tv, but i wont jump until 8k120 4:4:4 is supported.

no gpu blah blah blah

Last edited:

Bojji

Game mode
color temp Warm50 - trust me, will look yellow for 10 minutes then if you switch to 0 you will see how blue it was. Warm50 is d65

Took me 1 month LOL, but yeah I can't stand amount of blue "0" setting have anymore.

As for settings, Vincent settings are the best:

The same reason 1080p content looks better upscaled on my 4k bravia.

To me 1080p content looked better on my 40 inches Samsung VA panel with native 1080 resolution than on my 4k 55 inches 4k VA TCL. On LG OLED panel makes everything better but picture clarity of 1080p content on 1080p panel is still unmatched.

Yeah I covered that off on one of my earlier posts. I agree, historically, I prefer one to one pixel mapping, which is what you're saying too. But with 4k, it benefits with being upscaled, for Sony 8k at least. I bought my 8k panel, thinking I might be returning it, but I was genuinely surprised. Of course, I can only tell you what my own eyes see.

Only other finding I've had, is that generally, the 8k panel prefers decent quality content. Start dropping to 720p and below and I prefer my 4k OLED to be dealing with it.

Yeah I won't even try PS3 on my current tv, I tried it on my previous 4K tv and it looked bad but at least slower pixel changes of VA helped with 30fps games. On OLED it probably looks atrocious.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Took me 1 month LOL, but yeah I can't stand amount of blue "0" setting have anymore.

As for settings, Vincent settings are the best:

To me 1080p content looked better on my 40 inches Samsung VA panel with native 1080 resolution than on my 4k 55 inches 4k VA TCL. On LG OLED panel makes everything better but picture clarity of 1080p content on 1080p panel is still unmatched.

Yeah I won't even try PS3 on my current tv, I tried it on my previous 4K tv and it looked bad but at least slower pixel changes of VA helped with 30fps games. On OLED it probably looks atrocious.

Have you used a bravia? Their upscaling tech is insane imo.

Bojji

Have you used a bravia? Their upscaling tech is insane imo.

No, I don't doubt that Bravia has great upscaling. When it comes to gaming most people (including me) use console to upscale picture to 4k, so everyone has shitty image if game is 1080p internal.

Is Bravia upscaling available in good quality in game mode?

King Dazzar

No, I don't doubt that Bravia has great upscaling. When it comes to gaming most people (including me) use console to upscale picture to 4k, so everyone has shitty image if game is 1080p internal.

Sony's reality creation XR processing is second to none. So in addition to great upscaling, you can add extra detail, which helps a lot on lower resolution content. I think LG still have the best HDMI port and VRR implementation. But Sony's game mode image quality is unbeaten. The last LG I had was an 83" C1, but the colour banding gradation handling was no where close to Sony's.

1080p on a Sony 4K OLED blows away anything you will see on a Samsung or LG. I don't know what magic they use in their processor, but the difference is obvious.

And yes, even 720p PS3 games are stunning on my a95k. They are "ok" on my LG C1.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yeah I'm pretty impressed by it.

acidagfc

Some impressions after 2 weeks with 55" LG C3.

- I should have bought a larger one! 55" is good enough from where I sit, 65" may have actually been too large for gaming, but I could have had a real IMAX experience at home.

- I should have bought one years ago! Granted, I do not own a house\apartment and renting means occasional moving and lugging a large TV makes moving much more cumbersome, but goddamit, I wish I could experience Returnal or Horizon 2 on this TV, not a 1080p SDR one.
I launched Horizon FW and it looks and plays absolutely stunning in the 40Hz mode. Too bad I already finished it twice and kinda hate the story in it, certainly not playing it again. I now unironically want a remaster of the first one, which IMO is a much better story, but unfortunately a worse game.

- I somehow do not have anything to play on this beauty. Everything that has good graphics and HDR capabilities I either already finished or have no interest in.
I really hope Dragons Dogma 2 does not run like total ass on PS5.

- Gaming aside, movies is what actually impresses me most. I have a Samsung Q800C soundbar which can push some significant air (even though I am trying not to disturb my neighbors). The combination my new screen and the soundbar makes regular non-IMAX theaters completely obsolete.

Interstellar on 4k bluray - just breathtaking. I watched it in IMAX back at release and screen size aside, I think it looks better here. Maybe I had a crappy IMAX.
Dune from HBO, 4k and HDR - not really pushing the brightness, but it's such a crisp and clean image, simply awesome.
Matrix 4k bluray - surprisingly not that impressive. There are almost no scenes where the contrast is important, no real difference with SDR image.
Harry Potter movies - started the series with my missus a while ago, watched the last 2 movies on the new TV. Some of the scenes are proper HDR and are almost blinding. Like that final Voldemort fight. Really cool stuff.
Alien - regular bluray, not 4k, not HDR. Perhaps the best surprise of all. It looks so fucking amazing! There are so many scenes with naturally dark environments and myriads of tiny blinking lights, it just looks real. The flamethrower is proper scary.

For now I guess I am back to playing Balatro. And watching more movies.

55" is good enough from where I sit, 65" may have actually been too large for gaming
Don't overestimate the effect an overly large screen has on gaming. I used a 65" for a few years, and eventually realized that I had to physically turn my head to see in the corners. It was Street Fighter 6 that really brought it to my attention. I couldn't fully see the health bars and fight at the same time. I went down to a 55" and it is much better. Yes, I did immediately notice that movie immersion suffered. Oh well.

on my CX, it varies from game to game...
generally, DTM makes the scene brighter without raising black levels. the problem i had was DTM would actually crush blacks a lot, so i was losing tons of detail in dark areas.

i got tired of always switching between DTM and HGiG, so i settled on using DTM fulltime with that "fine tune dark areas" slider notched up and some other settings adapted.

im happy with it.

without DTM, some games looked very dull/dim.

Rikku-X

LG C1 has flickering artifacts, see at 3 seconds into the video. Does anyone know what is happing and have a fix? I have tried two hdmi cables and all hdmi ports and it still happens. Thanks.

Last edited:
Would it hurt LG to put some fucking handles or housing that's easier to grab? Also my European box was not removable! The C3 is impossible to lift like shown in the instructions, there's no way to reach into the shitty box. Had to cut the back lol. Now I'm waiting for the missus to get home and help me flip the fucker. I hope the assholes who came up with these designs crack their screens.

King Dazzar

Would it hurt LG to put some fucking handles or housing that's easier to grab? Also my European box was not removable! The C3 is impossible to lift like shown in the instructions, there's no way to reach into the shitty box. Had to cut the back lol. Now I'm waiting for the missus to get home and help me flip the fucker. I hope the assholes who came up with these designs crack their screens.
Most if not all TV's I've bought (which is a lot) usually have clips or some release mechanism which allow the main bulk sides covering sleeve to slide off, leaving the TV in place on its foundation blocks.

Last edited:

MikeM

1080p on a Sony 4K OLED blows away anything you will see on a Samsung or LG. I don't know what magic they use in their processor, but the difference is obvious.

And yes, even 720p PS3 games are stunning on my a95k. They are "ok" on my LG C1.
Good to know. While I have a LG C1, I am looking at a X90L (LED) for above my fireplace. Might attach my PS3 to it since the upscaling seems to be really good.

I remember my Philips having similar issue. Still remember the warning about not holding the panel in case it breaks as its fragile, yet instructions showed lilting the set out of the box holding the panel? I ended up holding the box at an angle over a bed so the TV would slowly slide out onto the mattress

dotnotbot

Sony makes all of their OLED TVs thicker:
images

6502609cv13d.jpg

From LG or Samsung you have to invest into higher-tier series (LG G and Samsung S95C) to get thicker housing:
build-quality-small.jpg

Though G series also gives you brighter panels with MLA tech and 5 years warranty (covers panel only) so it might be worth paying more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom