• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
gg's tonight

nice job...

-putting the puck in the net and pressuring fools at the blue line, ACES
-taking timely penalties, escaping the penalty box via the bench and shooting directly at the goalies low glove all night, MARV
-doing whatever you did out there tonight, that and your jovial Canadian spirit willed us to victory, NOZ
-scoring on all those slapshots and playing your normal barely adequate defense for most of the night, my back doesn't hurt as much tonight from carrying you, SHOW

Thanks! ..I think?

Marv totally out-Canadianed me in that fight of his though. 5 poutines out of 5!

Stat!

PS. If you follow Marv's youtube link, there are two NHL videos. It's EA interviewing EA so expect the "Here's A Softball Marketing Question" followed by a "Homerun Marketing Answer". No 5 on 5 actual game gameplay which is kinda nerving but we will see.

Also, Marv was an absolute goon last night. He nailed that guy so hard from behind for the major + misconduct (sarcasm).

I'll be honest Marv, while it was awful, it was ever-so-slightly funny at how bad the call was. Had to be the worst call I've ever seen in this game by far. Absolutely brutal. Barely touched him off a hipcheck. At least it was only 15 minutes left in the 3rd and not in the first period.

Marvie_3

Banned
Thanks! ..I think?

Marv totally out-Canadianed me in that fight of his though. 5 poutines out of 5!
I fight with non-violent resistance.

Also, Marv was an absolute goon last night. He nailed that guy so hard from behind for the major + misconduct (sarcasm).

I'll be honest Marv, while it was awful, it was ever-so-slightly funny at how bad the call was. Had to be the worst call I've ever seen in this game by far. Absolutely brutal. Barely touched him off a hipcheck. At least it was only 15 minutes left in the 3rd and not in the first period.
That call was unbelievable. I've been hit like that many times and I've never seen a game misconduct for it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I fight with non-violent resistance.

That call was unbelievable. I've been hit like that many times and I've never seen a game misconduct for it.

How does OTP work in NHL 12? No line change? Position lock? Authentic? So if you get a misconduct you have to sit out 10min and watch everyone else play? :p

Smiley90

Yeah it's always awesome when you get one in the 1st period and have to sit there for the rest of the game.

Just yell at the others to shoot and pass and then yell at them for not listening to you. Or is that how it works even when you're playing?

Marvie_3

Banned
That last game was bullshit. I sent them a bunch of hate mail after the game. Nothing but a bunch of shit players who get by on figure skating and cheese.

Apologies for sucking ass on D. Haven't played D in ~7 months so I was rusty as hell. Plus my d-man build is awful so I moved like a tank.

One thing we could have done better is moved the puck in the offensive zone. Waaaaaay too many forced passes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Could have been a lot worse on D and ph33nix you need to try and pass it more. If you suck at it just practice in drop in games, you had me open a bunch of times and opted to shot it instead. You had some great goals too, its just the odd time here and there you should probably pass it off.

Marvie_3

Banned
Could have been a lot worse on D and ph33nix you need to try and pass it more. If you suck at it just practice in drop in games, you had me open a bunch of times and opted to shot it instead. You had some great goals too, its just the odd time here and there you should probably pass it off.
Thanks....I think? :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Maybe?

Maybe???????

i0LSMjzEnprrD.gif

Nozdeuce

Oh man, my bad on the shockingly high turnover rate tonight. I realize I was forcing a lot of bad passes to the slot. Any tips for what I can do while waiting along the boards for a puck to land/settle? I was trying to precharge passes (which I admittedly rarely do but am capable of) and was having not great results.

Viz...on powerplays if they ice the puck and I'm bizarrely deep in our end (and it's clear enough) why don't I go back for it and pass up to you so you can Viz-Magic?

Sorry for not being on mic, it's complicated

Oh man, my bad on the shockingly high turnover rate tonight. I realize I was forcing a lot of bad passes to the slot. Any tips for what I can do while waiting along the boards for a puck to land/settle? I was trying to precharge passes (which I admittedly rarely do but am capable of) and was having not great results.

Viz...on powerplays if they ice the puck and I'm bizarrely deep in our end (and it's clear enough) why don't I go back for it and pass up to you so you can Viz-Magic?

Sorry for not being on mic, it's complicated

I didnt notice any ridiculous amount of turnovers tonight, you played fine. Not sure what other tips I can give as you make guys miss more than most other players when entering the zone, again I think you're fine. It really comes down to the d-man or other forwards springing you with good passes and not setting you up to get crushed which I thought we did pretty good tonight.

Far as the powerplay, I didn't really see you down there in a position to feed me. I def need to find some way to help you guys on the PP from time to time as most of the time I just stand around as an outlet because I stink at d-man one-timers. Oh well, we are winning most of the games so it doesn't matter.

Milly79

D-man one-timers are shockingly easy, IF you're not pulling back on the stick to manually do it. If it's coming to you, press up for a quick shot or hold up for the slapper. I think that's how it worked.

Nozdeuce

I didnt notice any ridiculous amount of turnovers tonight, you played fine. Not sure what other tips I can give as you make guys miss more than most other players when entering the zone, again I think you're fine. It really comes down to the d-man or other forwards springing you with good passes and not setting you up to get crushed which I thought we did pretty good tonight.
Yeah no one was sending me suicide passes, sorry I meant specifically the few times I was along the halfboards waiting for sky high puck to come down and I'd get possession and get get smoked, trying precharging and just mashing pass didn't seem to work.

Far as the powerplay, I didn't really see you down there in a position to feed me. I def need to find some way to help you guys on the PP from time to time as most of the time I just stand around as an outlet because I stink at d-man one-timers. Oh well, we are winning most of the games so it doesn't matter.
Arr, just seem's like I usually almost always follow you like 3/4 down the ice while you scoop up the puck, so provided it was safe enough I couldn't cause a 1 man clusterfuck I'd be willing to go get it :p

HI MILLY

D-man one-timers are shockingly easy, IF you're not pulling back on the stick to manually do it. If it's coming to you, press up for a quick shot or hold up for the slapper. I think that's how it worked.

yeah, I know how to do them

just seems like I have yet to find a good area to setup and I NEVER EVER EVER EVER get good passes when I do find a great spot to setup in, I always get dragged out of the zone, the pass clips my skate somehow or the passer holds it too long and completely throws off the timing.

that's why I pretty much stopped trying one timer slappers

Marvie_3

Banned
Coaching time.

We've been playing pretty well but we're messing up a lot on offense. It seems like we're getting worse and worse in some simple areas and it's costing us goals and games. The forced passes are the biggest problem. If you aren't sure it's going to get through, hold it a little longer if you have time and wait for a lane to open up, drop it back to the d-man, or send it around behind the net (RB+up on RS). We end up with a million turnovers a game because of sloppy forced passes when there's nothing open. Don't be afraid to curl back out away from the net if there's no options. Slowing down a rush is better than forcing something that isn't there. I get that gaps close quickly and things like that. There will be an opening and by the time the pass gets there the gap is gone. It happens. But a lot of our turnovers are coming from passes that shouldn't be made in the first place. Just remember to be patient and that there are plenty of ways to make a good play.

When a pass across IS open, the pass receiver needs to make sure they're far enough outside so they can get a good angle on the shot. We get stopped a lot because the receiver has drifted too far in.

The second thing that needs a lot of work is positioning. A lot of times we have plenty of time to get set up in the offensive zone but people aren't where they need to be. When I'm looking to pass, I'm looking where you should be, not where you currently are. If someone isn't where they need to be, it throws me off. Also, the wings need to stay outside more. Often we have 2 or 3 players down low which gives us no passing options and simply makes a mess of things. The center should be the only player setting screens.

As far as positioning in the offensive zone goes, starting with when the defensemen have the puck:
(obviously these are backwards when the puck is on the other side)

When we actually manage to set up in the offensive zone and try to cycle the puck, we cycle through Viz quite a bit. So these are mostly based on that.

When the LD has the puck:
pLgqn.png

The LW needs to make sure they stay out on the boards to give the LD a passing option.
C should be in the slot setting a screen for the LD.
RD should drift towards the middle of the ice to give the LD a better passing option as well as getting in position to get a good shot off.
RW needs to find open ice and try to draw defenders away.

If the LD passes over to the RD:
o2AET.png

C stays in front trying to set screens and lining up for a deflection.
LD should stay put or drift out of the zone in case RD is pressured. If we have to move the puck back to the LD out of the zone, it's not a big deal. Resetting the offense is a lot better than turning it over.
LW should drift in and look for a rebound from RD's shot.
RW should drift back to open up a passing option.

If LD passes down to LW:
vkOaN.png

C should move into the high slot to provide a good passing option/scoring chance.
RW should move to the opposite side of the net for a crossing play, or if the C is getting chimped down low, move behind the net for an open passing option.
LD needs to stay pinned to the boards to provide an outlet. If the defenders had chased the puck down low, this frees up a lot of room for the LD to work.
RD should stay high in the zone in case the puck slips through or a turnover happens.

Next, our offensive rushes have been pretty sloppy lately. Partly because of the forced passes and partly because people aren't going where they need to go. Way too many turnovers because of sloppy rushes. We need to use the dump in more and we need to start communicating better on entry. Way too many offsides lately and too many dump-ins that happen when forwards aren't expecting it.

When we do have free entry to the zone, we get impatient and that's what leads to the forced passes and turnovers. As I said before, we need to be patient if we have time. Make sure we're looking for the best possible scoring opportunity.

When we're coming in the zone:

When the C brings the puck in:
xBwQy.png

Both LW and RW need to move down low.
C should quickly evaluate the best option, move that way, and make a pass to the winger down low for a shot or cross crease pass to the opposite wing. If nothing is open, the C should maneuver to open ice and cycle the puck until we can get the offense set up.

When the LW/RW bring the puck in:
5eGJh.png

LW should bring the puck deep in the zone if possible and look for several options.
C should stop in the high slot for a shot option.
RW needs to go to the far side of the net and look for a cross pass.
If neither of those options are available, the LW should take a shot, or curl back to the outside and move the puck back to LD so we can get the offense set up.

If the opposing team is clogging the slot we can work a simple play to try to draw the defenders away from the net. I've been trying to set you guys up for goals on something like this quite a bit lately. A lot of teams run things like this because they're easy and they work. There's no reason why we can't.

gsdiy.png

The RW should head straight for the area below the goal line.
C should be finding an open spot in the slot for an excellent scoring opportunity.
The LW should pass the puck around the back of the net. If the defenders chase and leave the lane to the C open, LW should make the pass into the slot. If that isn't open, then the LW should pass to the RW who can then look for an open lane to the C, pass back to LW, or send the puck back around to the RD who should be positioned along the boards.

Next, when we're coming out of the zone, we need to get the puck moving out of our zone faster. Defensemen have to move the puck and forwards need to make sure we're not all jumbled up in the middle of the ice. If the defensemen are being pressured, the forwards need to hang back and help out. We can't be turning the puck over in our own zone. If one of the defenseman is bringing the puck all the way up, the forwards need to rotate so that one is covering the LD's position.

Next, there is way too much chasing the puck going on in both ends of the ice. In the offensive zone we need to try and stick to the proper positioning that I have already mentioned. In the defensive zone, all 5 players constantly end up below the faceoff dots and nobody is covering up high. Defensive zone coverage should be something like this:

Xnp8W.png

Obviously those aren't concrete because the opponents aren't always going to stick to their positions. Wingers have gotten really bad lately about chasing the puck down low. That forces the C to have to cover both the dmen and the slot. When the LW is down in the RD zone, that leaves WAY too much open ice for the other team. Playing smart defense is going to shut the other team down as well as make our transition game a lot easier.

Finally, Communication needs to improve as well. We need to get better about saying what we're going to do in advance so everyone else can be prepared to make the best possible play. If you can't wear a mic for whatever reason, it's fine, but it really does help out if we can all hear what's going on.

Like I said before, we're playing fairly well but these are just a few things we could do to really make things easier. This post isn't directed at anyone in particular because we're all guilty of these mistakes. We just need work better as a team and play smarter hockey.

Smiley90

Jesus Christ I didn't read any of the above yet, but Jesus Christ. -starts reading- I'm hoping to get drafted this summer and be ready to join the Slot Cloggers in the fall, I can't wait! I hope I'll make it through training camp, so I'll read and memorize everything my hopefully future captain has to say.

Red_Man

Good tips, biggest thing for me is I need to shoot more and i get impatient and make too quick of passes. The one thing that throws me of Marvie is sometimes you drift to the right circle where I should be for the one timer I'm assuming. I go behind the net when you do so you can pass it off if you have no shot but I don't really know where else to go because I don't want to go to the center and block your passing lane.

Jesus Christ I didn't read any of the above yet, but Jesus Christ. -starts reading- I'm hoping to get drafted this summer and be ready to join the Slot Cloggers in the fall, I can't wait! I hope I'll make it through training camp, so I'll read and memorize everything my hopefully future captain has to say.

you read all that for nothing

no Canucks fans allowed

Shouldn't you be fighting ewoks with your jedi guild?

damn...

Stat!

I have my mic. I got a replacement cable. I haven't had a chance to try it out so we'll see about that but hopefully the replacement cable works with mine. Turtle beaches...Why.

Red_Man

You can get replacement cables? My roomies cat chewed through the cables on mine and I figured they were hopeless.

Stat!

You can get replacement cables? My roomies cat chewed through the cables on mine and I figured they were hopeless.

I found out Turtle beach doesn't actually cover their own headsets if they stop working and you have to buy a replacement cable through a third party. Awful headsets, and I can't believe I gave them my money.

I ordered this off of Amazon.ca - It has lots of uses

What mic do you own? Chances are, if you search "replacement cable ____", it exists.

Red_Man

I think it's a X-26 or something like that? I'll check later thanks for the heads up. Anyone up for games after kings / devils?

Top Bottom