• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

I'm thinking about selling both my current watches and just getting a solid Seiko diver. Which would you get - SKX007 or a 2nd gen Monster? Anything else solid in that price range? (<£200)

pwack

I'm thinking about selling both my current watches and just getting a solid Seiko diver. Which would you get - SKX007 or a 2nd gen Monster? Anything else solid in that price range? (<£200)

I like the Seiko Stargate better than both the 007 and the Monster (I've iwned all three; sold the 009 and monster). Higher quality and more versatile.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I149O6I/

If you can spring for it, go for a used Sumo.

I had to choose among similar models during my last holiday - Charleston South Carolina, I recommend - as my trusty Seiko SNDA65 died in a steam bath... And opted for this, mainly for the look:

5v1ai7k.jpg

(but I realise as a 'one and only watch' it's probably not a good suggestion :D)

Question of taste at this point, Orient should also have offerings in the range.

The yellow looks really cool in that shot but as a main watch it probably would not work :D

Yeah I'm aware of Orients and their Mako line is honestly one of my least favorite of their offerings. The date pusher ruins the whole thing for me. A separate button that I'll use once every two months? It's a very impressive watch aside from that one stupid thing.

Stargate has that goddamn zoom window or whatever which I've never found appealing.

Leaning hard into the Monster right now. I really love that the date dial is black so that it doesn't break up the whole face design.

CG7ocVd.jpg

Not sure if I want the one with red fangs or the more traditional chrome one. The red one just borders close enough between tacky and cool for me.

PriitV

Yeah I'm aware of Orients and their Mako line is honestly one of my least favorite of their offerings. The date pusher ruins the whole thing for me. A separate button that I'll use once every two months? It's a very impressive watch aside from that one stupid thing.

It's a day pusher, which makes it even worse.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
New arrival from a couple days ago.

I've wanted a kind of beater/everyday/tool-ish watch and was going to go with a white faced Damasko until this popped up.

It's a Limited Edition version of a Sinn 556.

Differences are:
-White dial with black paint lume on hour/minute hands and indices
-Red-tipped second hand
-Bead-blasted matte case finish
-Edition number engraved on rotor

I've ordered the matching bracelet so I'll take more pics next week. I really love the matte finish so with the bracelet I think I'll be getting exactly what I wanted.

Next month I've got something even more special coming in. :)

(click to enlarge)

pwack

New arrival from a couple days ago.

I've wanted a kind of beater/everyday/tool-ish watch and was going to go with a white faced Damasko until this popped up.

It's a Limited Edition version of a Sinn 556.

Differences are:
-White dial with black paint lume on hour/minute hands and indices
-Red-tipped second hand
-Bead-blasted matte case finish
-Edition number engraved on rotor

I've ordered the matching bracelet so I'll take more pics next week. I really love the matte finish so with the bracelet I think I'll be getting exactly what I wanted.

Next month I've got something even more special coming in. :)

(click to enlarge)

Looks awesome

Did some digging into Seiko Stargates.

The old Stargates look beautiful. No cyclops and lots of depth on the dial - sadly they have the 7S36 movement which I just don't want.

New ones of course have 4R36 but the dial just looks flat and of course there's the cyclops.

Fucking Seiko.

The SKX330 is my favorite looking Seiko diver so far.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Looks awesome

Thanks!

Bracelet is in:

Did some digging into Seiko Stargates.

The old Stargates look beautiful. No cyclops and lots of depth on the dial - sadly they have the 7S36 movement which I just don't want.

New ones of course have 4R36 but the dial just looks flat and of course there's the cyclops.

Fucking Seiko.

The SKX330 is my favorite looking Seiko diver so far.

Nice colors on that one.

Thanks!

Bracelet is in:

That Sinn looks fantastic :)

I just found a rare and original piece on the bay for a very competitive price (a few hundreds) and thought 'hey father's day gift to me then!'.

Chrono-date from the early 70s on a valjoux 7734 from Wittnauer:

I believe it's an all original, and I suspect the case was not polished. The bracelet is a nice spiedel twist o flex mach 1 from the same time period, fun story, Dreyfus had the same bracelet on his watch when he did JAWS :)

pwack

Everybody and their mother has one of these Seiko 5 fliegers, including me. My kids got me a perlon strap for Father's Day, which looks great with it. Really classes up the watch nicely.

252d0a46fa8c91c80294d987b85c25d5.jpg

Also, some great pick-ups on this page.

Anyone have a planet ocean 2500 and an skx or any other watch that's 13mm in thickness? I'm curious how much higher the po sits high than my skx007.
can't find pics on the web.

Hey guys, I just picked up this Rodina below

http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/Classic-Rodina-R005GB-Automatic-Bauhaus-Watch-p/r005gb.htm

R005GB-2T.jpg

It's my first automatic watch, and I know they arent 100% accurate, but mine seems to be GAINING a minute a day. Is this acceptable for automatic watches? The reviews I've read on this watch all usually say it's within a few seconds a day..

No that is not normal. Make sure you have it fully wound, but a good movement would be +/- 2 secs and a basic movement should be around +/- 10 secs.

pwack

No that is not normal. Make sure you have it fully wound, but a good movement would be +/- 2 secs and a basic movement should be around +/- 10 secs.

You have extremely high standards. +/- 2 seconds is more stringent than COSC (Rolex and other certified chronometers; aka watches that cause 50x the Rodina). Seikos (quintessential "basic" autos) generally are rated to +/- 25 seconds.

You have extremely high standards. +/- 2 seconds is more stringent than COSC (Rolex and other certified chronometers; aka watches that cause 50x the Rodina). Seikos (quintessential "basic" autos) generally are rated to +/- 25 seconds.

Hm, perhaps. My Explorer II is running 3 seconds slow after about 2.5 months (with a little bit of overnight positional regulation).

COSC is actually -4/+6 so you are right.

My ETA powered Victorinox AirBoss would run about 10secs fast per day. I think that is what should be expected for a <$500 auto.

Jhriad

Hey guys, I just picked up this Rodina below

http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/Classic-Rodina-R005GB-Automatic-Bauhaus-Watch-p/r005gb.htm

R005GB-2T.jpg

It's my first automatic watch, and I know they arent 100% accurate, but mine seems to be GAINING a minute a day. Is this acceptable for automatic watches? The reviews I've read on this watch all usually say it's within a few seconds a day..

I've got a Rodina just like yours from a few years ago but mine gains ~15 seconds a day. Not a big deal for me as the watch was more of an aesthetic choice than anything else. Hope you get it sorted out.

Ashhong

How can you tell if it is fully wound? I wind it up manually when I'm just sitting around, but don't move around too much while at work. Even then, should it be GAINING a minute? I would think that if it's not fully wound it would lose time.

I've got a Rodina just like yours from a few years ago but mine gains ~15 seconds a day. Not a big deal for me as the watch was more of an aesthetic choice than anything else. Hope you get it sorted out.

I originally got it because I thought I would wear it every day to work, thus always being wound up and good to go. Now I'm thinking I probably wont, so maybe the accuracy isn't a big deal. Going to send the website an email.

I've joined the Seiko 5 club. Here is a photo of my old Seiko 5 I inherited from my dad. The steel bracelet was pretty beat, so I added this nato style strap. It also has the brightest luminous hands I've ever seen.

oZ6lsztl.jpg

TxdoHawk

So I was buying stuff on Amazon and needed to spend another $10 to get my free Prime shipping, I searched around for an hour for something else to buy and ended up just impluse buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EGYEL4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The real irony being that I also ended up paying for faster shipping because now I don't want to wait. :D

Weirdly, I bought almost the exact same watch. I decided to go the "extremely work inappropriate" route and get it in "Men In Rescue Orange" though:

Got this two days ago. Seiko SARB065.

Seiko_SARB065.jpg

Although you are banned, I just want to comment that this watch is ridiculously pretty. They just had them on Massdrop recently, but I found myself hesitant to drop nearly $400 on a watch that effectively would've had no warranty in the US. I still kind of want it, though.

Can y'all recommend a steel band for my Seiko SKX009? I need something that fits (obviously) and that's relatively affordable, but I don't know where to look. I'm willing to spend more on the band if there's a reason to do so.

edit: Two more questions!

What sort of tool do I need to change out the strap myself?

And I know its normal for this watch to run a little fast, but I feel like mine gains time really quickly. Why might this be happening? I've had it since December .

Enron

Banned
Speaking of the SARBs, I've had my eye on the SARB 017. That green dial is so gorgeous to me and I like the contrast with the gold.

It infuriates me that out of all of the recent Alpinist models, the SARB017 is the one they keep producing. Ive whiffed on the SARB015, 059, and 061.

Can y'all recommend a steel band for my Seiko SKX009? I need something that fits (obviously) and that's relatively affordable, but I don't know where to look. I'm willing to spend more on the band if there's a reason to do so.

edit: Two more questions!

What sort of tool do I need to change out the strap myself?

And I know its normal for this watch to run a little fast, but I feel like mine gains time really quickly. Why might this be happening? I've had it since December .

Tungchoy and wjean28 get good rep as ebay sellers. Super oyster, shark mesh, jubilee. What is your preference?

I've checked wjean28's store again(got my strap from here) and it seems that the price has gone up quite a bit. Strapcode has a good one according to wus.

I've changed mine with a flat head screwdriver but a spring bar tool can be had for a few euro/dollar and will do a better job.

Enron

Banned
I've checked wjean28's store again(got my strap from here) and it seems that the price has gone up quite a bit. Strapcode has a good one according to wus.

I've changed mine with a flat head screwdriver but a spring bar tool can be had for a few euro/dollar and will do a better job.

I bought a 22mm aftermarket oyster-style bracelet from Yobokies on watchuseek.

Saw the new sm300 in person. WOW is all I can say. Thickness is 14.5, same as the planet ocean, and it sits so well. Doesn't look any thicker than my skx007, which is 13mm.

the only issue is the case diameter, and the lugs overhang my wrist. Kinda surprised considering the po 8500 42mm fits perfect.

if omega made 38mm, id be on the watch in a heartbeat.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That Sinn looks fantastic :)

I just found a rare and original piece on the bay for a very competitive price (a few hundreds) and thought 'hey father's day gift to me then!'.

Chrono-date from the early 70s on a valjoux 7734 from Wittnauer:

I believe it's an all original, and I suspect the case was not polished. The bracelet is a nice spiedel twist o flex mach 1 from the same time period, fun story, Dreyfus had the same bracelet on his watch when he did JAWS :)

Very cool case. I think it's time for me to go vintage as well.
That post you made here some months or weeks ago was great. I'd love a UG chrono but there are others I've had my eye on. Probably in 2016.

So I was buying stuff on Amazon and needed to spend another $10 to get my free Prime shipping, I searched around for an hour for something else to buy and ended up just impluse buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EGYEL4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wish I were more active and needed something like this. This is the one I'd get too. Hope you're enjoying it.

Saw the new sm300 in person. WOW is all I can say. Thickness is 14.5, same as the planet ocean, and it sits so well. Doesn't look any thicker than my skx007, which is 13mm.
the only issue is the case diameter, and the lugs overhang my wrist. Kinda surprised considering the po 8500 42mm fits perfect.

if omega made 38mm, id be on the watch in a heartbeat.

Talking about this guy?
http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/watchmaking/baselworld-2014?#!/seamaster-300-master-coaxial

Yeah, I just saw one a couple days ago. I've loved it in pics, but it was slightly less impressive under the glass, I think it was the shiny bracelet. Maybe I just need to try on.
The original 1st gen 300 is one of my dream watches though.

The polished center links, yeah, the overall watch looks blingy due to liquid metal. But the watch was damn gorgeous.

whenever I'm able to own a high end watch, its gonna be under 40mm, that I know of. Right now I'm leaning towards 38mm skyfall or 38mm grand Seiko.

GS a bit too conservative, but at $4000, plus discounts, you're getting a high end watch better than watches under $10000.

Leynos

I just found an old watch in amongst my dad's old stuff, and want to clean it up as he passed away 21 years ago. It is a Caravelle from 1969, and I took it to the local watch repair shop here in town. Guy is telling me that it will cost about $25 to clean up the exterior, and ~$45 to put in a new crystal, or ~$85 for a sapphire crystal. The watch also has no band, so I will need to get one of those. I have no delusions as to the value of the watch as Caravelle was Bulova's budget line, but it has sentimental value to me. My father loved watches, as do I, but neither of us could afford anything nice. I'll get this one going, and replace my crappy quartz watch that I bought years ago.

I don't have any photos of the watch as it is in the shop right now, but I will have more questions for our resident experts. But I do have one question now: should I go with a sapphire crystal, or regular glass?

Top Bottom