• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Fusebox

Banned
In this post I pimp the DSI Tetra.

Background: I used to defend VST synths, and still do to an extent - Imo by the time they've been EQ'ed and comp'ed and panned and placed within a mix there really isn't a huge difference in sound quality to my ears between digital and analogue, but when the comparison is done on a single unprocessed part there's a HUGE difference, way more than I expected.

Case in point, I bought Komplete Synths a few years ago and I'm pretty capable of making some huge sounding patches with Massive, but within an hour of powering on the Tetra I was making sounds that put Massive to shame.

It's just so damn FAT, and the harmonic randomness and the sub-oscs and the juicy filters all come together to make a party in my ears. It's hard to make a bad sound!

In summary, this....

5466007201_6eaba3c035_z.jpg

Just rendered my entire VST collection obsolete.

I know Analogue > Digital is kind of stating the obvious, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT much better.

Also with regards to the convenience of VSTs, with the sound editor hooked up I get full GUI control over each voice. Although the editor and Ableton can't use the same ports at the same time, so I have to connect to Ableton via USB and I connect to the sound editor via MIDI DIN cables in order to use them both at the same time.

t4voice.jpg

..and ditto with the inbuilt sequencer:

t4seq.jpg

Also some guy already made a Novation Automap Template for my Remote SL so there's no problems controlling it Live either, and running it through the Monotron (MS-20 filter) allows for some serious sonic mayhem. There's also an Unofficial VST made by the team at Ctrlr.org but I'm havnig stability issues with it atm:

http://ctrlr.org/viewforum.php?f=35

So yeah, anyone looking for a proper analogue synth and wants change from $1k, I highly rate the Tetra. Very powerful routing, lots of connection options, more importantly it sounds awesome.

Apenheul

AgentWhiskersX said:
Here's my second go at Logic Pro with a track heavily inspired by Radiohead.

I like that atmosphere, I've only listened to it using in-ears so I can't really listen well but the feeling is there.

Fusebox said:
In this post I pimp the DSI Tetra.

I'm so envious of you :) I've had my eyes on the Tetra for quite some time but I really shouldn't buy more hardware, I bought so much stuff that I rarely ever use. Still, great catch!

GAF...Just got the Reason Demo...Wtf do I do? I am so lost right now I can't even explain it...

What should I start with if I want to learn how to create house-style tracks? Should I be starting out w/ software or hardware?

Thanks...

CoffeeJanitor said:
GAF...Just got the Reason Demo...Wtf do I do? I am so lost right now I can't even explain it...

What should I start with if I want to learn how to create house-style tracks? Should I be starting out w/ software or hardware?

Thanks...

Look on youtube, gobs of demos/instructional videos. Hardware's expensive, don't dive into it until you know exactly what you want.

"GAF...Just got the Reason Demo...Wtf do I do? I am so lost right now I can't even explain it...

Thanks..."

Both are fine, Software is cheaper to get started with though. I would absolutely not invest in hardware until you know what's up.

What you want to do is hit up youtube and look for some reason tutorials just to come to grips with the interface which, while good, I would say the first time someone new looks at it, they might get a little lost especially when it comes to the cabling stuff. So yeah, first things first, follow some tutorials for at least a little bit just to learn how to hook up the reason synths and where to put in the notes and all that.

Teknopathetic said:
"GAF...Just got the Reason Demo...Wtf do I do? I am so lost right now I can't even explain it...

Thanks..."

Both are fine, Software is cheaper to get started with though. I would absolutely not invest in hardware until you know what's up.

What you want to do is hit up youtube and look for some reason tutorials just to come to grips with the interface which, while good, I would say the first time someone new looks at it, they might get a little lost especially when it comes to the cabling stuff. So yeah, first things first, follow some tutorials for at least a little bit just to learn how to hook up the reason synths and where to put in the notes and all that.
Sounds good.

I don't have a keyboard yet, but I'm gonna get one tomorrow.

And Reason is actually used for creating tracks, right? Like, I could make a song without using any other programs. Or am I wrong on that?

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sounds good.

I don't have a keyboard yet, but I'm gonna get one tomorrow.

And Reason is actually used for creating tracks, right? Like, I could make a song without using any other programs. Or am I wrong on that?

Yes, you can do pretty much everything as far as composing a track goes. There's a ton of stuff to know with this, and honestly the only way is to jump right into wikipedia, youtube videos, and most important of all, reading the -gasp - manuals. Reason's based on old school outboard gear rather than something created in the digital age, so you'll be learning a lot of older conventions to get good at it.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Yes, you can do pretty much everything as far as composing a track goes. There's a ton of stuff to know with this, and honestly the only way is to jump right into wikipedia, youtube videos, and most important of all, reading the -gasp - manuals. Reason's based on old school outboard gear rather than something created in the digital age, so you'll be learning a lot of older conventions to get good at it.
OK, thanks for the help! I'm actually kind of happy it's really old-school, because I think I'm gonna pick up an actual workstation at some point, and most seem to have "old-school" setups...

CoffeeJanitor said:
OK, thanks for the help! I'm actually kind of happy it's really old-school, because I think I'm gonna pick up an actual workstation at some point, and most seem to have "old-school" setups...

Most gear, new & old, works on the same basic principles. So if you understand what's happening in Reason, you'll be able to figure out the hardware stuff.

Yasae

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Thanks for the answers GAF.

So GAF, can anyone answer this?

So, after a hard day of work in Logic Pro today, I noticed that I had inserted a limiter on the master output. So it's not clipping. However, when I 'bypass' the limiter, my master output clips about 5/6 DBFS, although the loudest thing in my mix is -6DBFS, and everything around is mixed to the kick, so the other channels are even LOWER than -6DBFS. What the hell? Do I have to mix all over again? Even quiter? I won't be able to hear it that way. Or can I just lower my master fader by 6DBFS? Thanks for the help!
They just happen to sum that loud once you take the limiter off. Actually, you should've known this by looking at how much gain reduction the limiter was providing.

Of course, they can make things louder with no gain reduction if they have automatic gain makeup, which many do - the L2 is a popular example. Adjusting the threshold parameter kicks in the automatic gain makeup in a linear fashion, so you could lower it quite a bit and have no gain reduction and thus no compression, but still have a louder output. You wouldn't clip in that case because you still have plenty of headroom on the master fader; otherwise the compressor would be active and you'd have gain reduction.

I'd select all the individual track faders and turn them down. That results in more precision than turning the master fader down. While most DAWs have very high resolutions for their faders, in practice it can break down; end fades don't sound too great using auto-fade in Reaper for example, so I usually automate the master fader with hand-drawn curves (or better yet, a good control surface. While its resolution may not be as high, the human touch outweighs this disadvantage.)

If you can't hear the track with the faders down halfway or even more, you don't have proper amplification for your monitors. That's a cardinal sin in mixing. You never bring all the track faders up just so you have enough volume to hear them, at least in the middle of a mix; you calibrate their starting level based on your monitors' starting amplification. The monitors should be the only thing moving if the whole mix isn't loud enough (remember that I'm not talking about balance of individual instruments.) That should never EVER be relegated to faders unless they're all way down at -50 dBFS or something pretty quiet, in which case you move them up to a more reasonable starting point.

This is all calibration and happens before a mix begins. One instance where I've had to move all my faders up (90% of the time it's down lol) is when I'm fatigued and am pushing them up too much - raising them up just so I can hear them because I'm burnt out. Happens every once in awhile.

The other is your scenario - I put a compressor on the master and want them to hit the compressor harder, increasing gain reduction for the desired sound, so I tend to push them higher than I normally would otherwise. That's why you're clipping with the compressor off. It's only natural that you'd have to lower them back down if you didn't want to use the limiter.

Chemo

Yo, been a little bit since I posted in here -- just finished up my new record.

2011Io300.png

Chemo Castronovo's IO.

01 Pierce the subcutanean veil.
02 Survivor syndrome.
03 Shackled skeletons.
04 Bodies of water.
05 Broken vows of silence.
06 Cruel and unusual.
07 True forms.

Total running time, 25:52.

The record is available to download for free at my site, Monolith Manufact. I hope you enjoy it, and thanks.

Drakken

Anyone got a recommendation for a good set of not-too-expensive monitors? I'm thinking something like $200 or $300. Right now I have a set of Logitech Z-something surround speakers. They sound really nice, but I want to get a more accurate sound for mixing.

Shorty

Banned
Drakken said:
Anyone got a recommendation for a good set of not-too-expensive monitors? I'm thinking something like $200 or $300. Right now I have a set of Logitech Z-something surround speakers. They sound really nice, but I want to get a more accurate sound for mixing.
In your price range I have heard great things about the yamaha hs50m.

Apenheul

Shorty said:
In your price range I have heard great things about the yamaha hs50m.

I use those, along with K&H 0300. HS40Ms have a great stereo-image and their distinctive character makes it easy to hear details in the mid-range. This definition is lacking in the low-end of the spectrum though and perhaps exaggerated in the high frequency range, which is why these Yamahas take getting used to.

Very cool. Did not know such a thread existed!

Subscribed.

I do a lot of music production using LogicPro. I never really uploaded any of my tracks online because i'm afraid of copyright infringers.

I have a few collaborations online. I did some guitar work on this one.
Very chill/lounge/sexy electronica.

Fusebox

Banned
Drakken said:
Upgrading from logitech z's as monitors, no need to be fussy, anything will be a massive improvement, even Behringer Truths would be a huge upgrade. What's available in your local store to demo?

Apenheul

Fusebox said:
Upgrading from logitech z's as monitors, no need to be fussy, anything will be a massive improvement, even Behringer Truths would be a huge upgrade. What's available in your local store to demo?

Right, I almost forgot. The one most important thing when it comes to buying monitors is trying them for yourself. Take recommendations from people on the internet as a starting point but always trust your own ears.

When I was on the market for more high-end nearfield monitors I tested Dynaudio BM12A, Quested S8, Klein & Hummel 0300, PSI 21, Genelec 8050, and Adam S3A. I had the opportunity to test these at home so instead of only listening to them I could also mix using them, and the quality of the produced song (as heared on hi-fi speakers and in-ears)decided which pair of monitors I would buy. I personally ended up buying the K&H 0300 set because my mixes translated best, even though PSI sounded better to my ear. Adam was a favorite of a certain audiophile forum but they didn't do it for me.

can anybody help me with this or diagnose this problem?

i switched to a new computer, now when i record stuff i get all this clicking. sounds like this:

http://cfarcade.com/music/pileup/clicks.wav

happens with both instruments and with microphones.

'm using asio4all drivers. windows 7, recording via ableton live 8, recording through a fast track pro usb interface. these clicks only happen when recording in ableton (in windows sound recorder sounds fine). they also only happen when playing back a recorded sound, not when listening to the live instrument through ableton.

it also happens no matter which drivers i use (asio or the coreaudio ones that were already on here), no matter which audio settings i change. i figure it must be an issue with ableton but i can't figure out just what. anybody have any idea?

Fusebox

Banned
It could be a buffer size issue, but why aren't you using the M-Audio drivers? Asio4all is only for shit soundcards.

Fusebox said:
It could be a buffer size issue, but why aren't you using the M-Audio drivers? Asio4all is only for shit soundcards.
even using the m-audio drivers it does it...i don't think it's a buffer size issue either because any size i use seems to produce the same clicking.

also now i've tried recording via the computer's line in input without the fast track and using asio and it does the same thing. it works fine in my macbook i just don't want to have to switch computers every time i want to record something.

bggrthnjsus said:

i switched to a new computer, now when i record stuff i get all this clicking. sounds like this:

'm using asio4all drivers. windows 7, recording via ableton live 8, recording through a fast track pro usb interface. these clicks only happen when recording in ableton (in windows sound recorder sounds fine). they also only happen when playing back a recorded sound, not when listening to the live instrument through ableton.

it also happens no matter which drivers i use (asio or the coreaudio ones that were already on here), no matter which audio settings i change. i figure it must be an issue with ableton but i can't figure out just what. anybody have any idea?

I had a similar problem on one PC. Try some things on this page, it helped me remove the clicks and pops in the end. http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=786ec8d75b137d3466b1e725531a59cc

i think i've done all of that stuff before except for the bios tweaks to disable cpu throttling and such, so i'll give those a shot. though i'm not really sure why they would work, i'm not even pushing 10% cpu usage when recording anyway, and it sounds fine when i record through the windows sound recorder. well it's not like i understand that stuff anyway so who knows

edit: no improvement

Tr4nce

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Very cool. Did not know such a thread existed!

Subscribed.

I do a lot of music production using LogicPro. I never really uploaded any of my tracks online because i'm afraid of copyright infringers.

I have a few collaborations online. I did some guitar work on this one.
Very chill/lounge/sexy electronica.

Hey, a fellow Logic Pro user. That loungy track sounds really nice. My compliments ;)

Kyzer

Banned
I NEED a producer whos capable of making cool video game related or even just inspired instrumentals. Anyone up for the task? I like trip hop.

bggrthnjsus said:

Have you tried using it through a powered usb hub? My newish computer wasn't supplying enough juice to the usb ports so I had a similar problem and it went away when I got one of these and plugged the audio interface into it, wham the clicks went away. Any usb hub with a power cord should work I hope, if not im sorry bud.

btkadams

bggrthnjsus said:
going to attempt upgrading ableton and see if there are any changes (was on 8.0.4)

edit: no improvement (but now on 8.2.1)
ableton got updated? hmm i wonder why it didn't show up for me. i've had crashes lately though so hopefully those are eliminated lol.

ugh i'm almost certain my problem is exclusive to ableton because i just downloaded the demo version of record 1.5.1 and it sounds fine. went back to an old version of ableton (7.0.3) and had the same problem. pretty sure i've tried everything except the powered usb hub suggestion but i'm not sure how that would help me if it works in any other recording software.

edit: it also sounds fine in xp virtual machine mode (though still clicks in compatibility mode)...which i guess would mean that the most likely problem is software, and related to ableton live suite windows 7 compatibility. which is fucking bullshit.

Fusebox

Banned
bggrthnjsus said:
..which i guess would mean that the most likely problem is software, and related to ableton live suite windows 7 compatibility. which is fucking bullshit.

Unlikely, I use Ableton Suite in Win 7 64 bit with no issues.

Fusebox said:
Unlikely, I use Ableton Suite in Win 7 64 bit with no issues.
it's probably a combo of both of those with my machine, because from what i've read on the ableton forums there seems to be a lot of variability in how it performs across similar machines. a lot of that is 3rd party plugin related, but i read a lot of complaints about the basic software too. i think everything i've done to narrow it down points to either or a combination of ableton suite 8, windows 7 64 bit, and my machine.

it is unlikely to be purely the fault of my computer because recordings sound fine in other applications. unlikely to be purely windows 7 w/ my recording interface as well for the same reasons. the only constant is ableton. which is pretty disappointing because this computer is pretty new and pretty well off spec wise.

finally uploaded this to soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/iaas/iaas-teddy-penderazdouns

iaas - teddy penderazdoun's bizarre love decahedron

10 remixes/covers of t-pain related songs, telling the story of t-pain's found love, lost love.

made it back in 2007/2008 when he was in like EVERY SINGLE SONG on the radio. now it's not so pertinent. i probably posted it a few times back then, maybe even in this thread, but now it's on soundcloud so it's in a convenient place to listen to as 1 big track.

also, i still have not found a solution to my ableton problem :(

Dartastic

I'm pretty sure most people in this thread know how to do this, but I seemingly don't. I'm trying to make bass sounds. Like, LOW bass sounds like you can hear in a lot of Dubstep in Ableton. Like, clean bass notes that work well. I just don't know how to do them, or what plug ins to use, or... yeah....... help please? o.o

Clinton514

Dartastic said:
I'm pretty sure most people in this thread know how to do this, but I seemingly don't. I'm trying to make bass sounds. Like, LOW bass sounds like you can hear in a lot of Dubstep in Ableton. Like, clean bass notes that work well. I just don't know how to do them, or what plug ins to use, or... yeah....... help please? o.o

Other synths do it better but here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ

edit: For those interested Cakewalk has a sale on Z3ta+(20 bucks) and Dimension LE(5 bucks). Some ok sounds in there. Z3ta+ is always fun to work with.

Dartastic

I might try some of those. The wobble doesn't interest me so much as just clear, deep bass tones. Like, James Blake "Limit to your Love" deep. I just need something to fill it out like a kick, that's not actually a kick. I'll watch that tutorial and mess around, and maybe try those synths. Thanks!

Dartastic

Ah crap. I'm on a Mac, and it looks like those are .dll files. Damn. I'll have to keep looking around then...

Edit - Operator. Seriously? WHY DID I NOT USE THIS BEFORE. UGH.

Tr4nce

Shit. Fuck. Damnit, oh and eh shit!

Has anyone here using Logic experienced the same bug as I have? It's so fucking annoying. Every now and then, Logic slaps me in the face by letting percussion loops disappear, and randomly just destroying my channel strip settings, including the patches in my soft synths. Samples and sounds gone! Oh well, it was only 2 months of work :'-(

EDIT: OK! I found the problem. I saved my current track under a different name, so Logic Studio created a new folder, but 'forgot' to include a folder called 'Sampler Files' which every folder has. I copied the Sampler Files folder from the old folder to my current new folder, and voila! I'm sorry I mistrusted you Logic, i love you :p

Anybody think the Roland SH-101 is worth the money it goes for? I like some of the bouncy bass sounds I've heard from it and I have a shot at one below current market value, but I already have a MoPho so I'm not sure how superfluous this would be for me. I was kind of planning on making the eVolver my next purchase and I still need to upgrade Logic so my music budget is kind of spoken for, but I'd hate to pass up something cool that might appreciate.

Hey, can anyone recommend a realistic sounding drum sequencer, either external or a VST plugin? I'm a total noob, so something fairly easy to use would be preferable.

I'm using Acoustica Mixcraft Pro and need to put a simple drum track into this short song I've been working on; http://soundcloud.com/yaaatoob/red-desert but it's way too time consuming hand placing the virtual instrument drum sounds that come with Mixcraft.

BobDylan

so im looking to buy my first keyboard controller. I have around 300$ to drop on this. any one wanna recommend me something solid to get.

edit: also just started learning how to use ableton. here is my first project I started. only a minute long right now but I really like where its heading.

Top Bottom