• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neowin: Xbox One lacks proper storage management; Microsoft says it is 'automatic'

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Giantbomb couldn't save games unless connected to the internet? That is what I'm trying to make sure I'm not reading into this. That would be lunacy.
You can save games but if you go to another console you must download the save from the cloud. You can't manually move them right now.

I didn't hear them say they couldn't save games offline. That would be crazy. I'm assuming it will store them locally.

mocoworm

The info we have seems kind of unclear. If it only backs up your saves to the cloud then that's fine. If the system actually auto-deletes saves from your HDD to make space then that's a problem.

This is definitely the case. Think about it logically.

People want a reason to go mental ... OMGZ MS FCKED UP!

If you are offline do you really think that the designers of the OS will make it so you can't play your games ??

Think... about... it.

What this is saying is that IF the game is deleted (due to lack of space) the save game gets uploaded to the cloud for you.

When you redownload the game, or reinstall it you get the save back with it automatically.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The info we have seems kind of unclear. If it only backs up your saves to the cloud then that's fine. If the system actually auto-deletes saves from your HDD to make space then that's a problem.

I very much doubt they would be stupid enough to delete your saved progress from your games. Even if it is going to the cloud. Considering how small save data is compared to the games themselves.

You never know though I guess.

Kyon

Banned
This is tragic.
09954248.gif

ironcreed

Banned
If that's the case then why even state that your saves and settings will be downloaded from the cloud when you re-install the game. It's not like you can manually delete the saves anyway, can you?

I really doubt they're so stupid as to delete your local saves, but the wording seems iffy.

Possibly because all data associated with whatever game gets the boot is also deleted when you are out of space. But yeah, we definitely need clarification on this mess. It's a big deal.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
This is definitely the case. Think about it logically.

People want a reason to go mental ... OMGZ MS FCKED UP!

If you are offline do you really think that the designers of the OS will make it so you can't play your games ??

Think... about... it.

What this is saying is that IF the game is deleted (due to lack of space) the save game gets uploaded to the cloud for you.

When you redownload the game, or reinstall it you get the save back with it.

See, that makes a whole lot more sense.

x-Lundz-x

You can save games but if you go to another console you must download the save from the cloud. You can't manually move them right now.

I didn't hear them say they couldn't save games offline. That would be crazy. I'm assuming it will store them locally.

That would make a little more sense but is still beyond stupid. If you don't ever connect the box online and your saves get deleted by this automated process...oh man.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You can compare this to android vs ios approach. Android let's you and even sometimes expects you to micromanage your storage. iOS on the otherhand walls you off. The rationale behind iOS is that you shouldn't have to worry about your usage as data is constantly flowing up into the "cloud" to free up local storage.

I don't understand...

On my iPhone 5, I go to "usage", and it tells me how much space I have free, every application I have installed showing how big it is and ordered by size, and the ability to delete the application by touching it.

How is that walled off?

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, that is what I am getting from all this as well. They can't be so insane as to limit access to your saves on the cloud and being online only.

Oh wow, this sounds horrible. Not being abler to manage your HD space, automatic updates deleted space as needed. I may need to build my own bomb shelter if this is the sort of things we can expect at the Xbox one launch.

harSon

Banned
So, lemme get this straight.

Say, I have LocoCycle and NBA 2K14 installed on my Xbox ONE hard drive. I go on the Live Marketplace to buy Call of Duty: Ghosts. Not only will I not have any control over what gets deleted and what doesn't, but my Xbox might decide to go "DERRRRRRRRRRRP" and delete 2K14 instead of LocoCycle even though I play 2K14 more even, but I might not have played it in 2 weeks?

Fuckouttahere...

In theory, yes, but that scenario is kind of unlikely. Assuming 1/5th of the hard drive is already taken, and that each game install is 40GBs, which for all intents and purposes is high balling it by quite a bit, you could have around 9-10 full game installs. Are you going to regularly be cycling through every single one of those 9-10 games? Personally, I wouldn't, but everyone's playstyle is different. Movies, Demos, etc. will definitely eat into that figure though. Not allowing choice is beyond idiotic, but it's not the end of the world for me at least. They REALLY need to get external hard drive support up and running though.

MThanded

I don't understand...

On my iPhone 5, I go to "usage", and it tells me how much space I have free, every application I have installed showing how big it is and ordered by size, and the ability to delete the application by touching it.

How is that walled off?
I'm not sure. I hope the user comes back and explains what he/she was talking about.

I have 50+ GB's being eaten up by digital games on my 360 hard drive, most of that is from digital retail titles. This news will effect anyone that invests in digital and plays most of their library at whim.

I agree that if you have like 10 games installed all at once this is probably an issue...for the maybe 20% people who do that. They should definitely allow you see how much space is taken up and give people the ability to manually delete but I'm not adverse to their line of thinking. Automatic by default with the option for manual would be the best approach.

FuturusX

So never buy digital?

Having to re-download a digital purchase because the X1 decides I haven't played it in eons, is beyond silly.

Terrible. They are essentially pushing disc as the better method for games on X1.

My advice don't buy any game digitally until this is fixed.

ironcreed

Banned
So never buy digital?

Having to re-download a digital purchase because the X1 decides I haven't played it in eons, is beyond silly.

Terrible. They are essentially pushing disc as the better method for games on X1.

That is what I was just thinking. This does nothing but make me want to buy more physical copies.

Furyous

That would make a little more sense but is still beyond stupid. If you don't ever connect the box online and your saves get deleted by this automated process...oh man.

You raise an interesting point. What if a user doesn't want or can't afford XBL? If their saves get deleted then this is a problem. There are millions of xbox owners that refuse to pay for live so this is a serious question.

MThanded

So never buy digital?

You will have to reinstall. It's better but still annoying.

hohoXD123

Doesn't look like it's talking about automatic deletion of content. This on the other hand could be problematic:

The bottom line is that people who get their console on Friday will not have a direct way to know if that long awaited game they are installing on their hard drive will be able to fit alongside all the other games and content they have already saved

casmith07

Dat Cloud.

But seriously...I think what we're seeing is that Microsoft's focus is no longer the core gamer, but the very casual gamer who probably plays COD and Madden annually, plays fantasy football, and generally leads a very basic technological life.

They seem to be targeting the kind of person that probably doesn't sync the photos off their iPhone until they run out of storage space. Technologically ignorant or naive, per se.

They're probably also banking on the fact that their base, or core, will buy the Xbox One out of loyalty anyway.

As the gen continues it remains to be seen if it'll work. But I think most casuals will be just fine with Hulu and Netflix on their PS4's for $100 less.

dose

When you redownload the game, or reinstall it you get the save back with it automatically.
And if you're offline you can't access your save? That's just as bad.

And if you're offline you can't access your save? That's just as bad.

Unless Microsoft is doing something completely different from how cloud saves work with every other service on the planet, If you're offline the console would just pull up your most recent local save.

Rikkun

On my 360 I never erased XBLA nor the installation files for certain games.

Actually, the things I used to erase were usually the last ones I used, like "ok I finished this game, let me erase these 7GB" while I never erased Burnout Paraside DLCs just because I wanted to be ready to eventually jump in some multiplayer roaming.

Unless Microsoft is doing something completely different from how cloud saves work with every other service on the planet, If you're offline the console would just pull up your most recent local save.
So they don't delete your local settings/save when it automatically deletes a random game? If that's true then why would they need to download the settings/save files when reinstalling the game?

I'd much rather they just put in a way to manage file storage. I very much suspect there will be an update in the future with that functionality.

Burger

Link pls?

Page 3:

The Xbox One lets users start games before they're fully downloaded or installed from disc; Killer Instinct was ready to play when I had only downloaded 75 percent of the game, for instance, though some stages weren't yet available. This feature can be a bit misleading though. Ryse: Son of Rome said it was ready to play after only three percent of the game was installed to the hard disk, but after I loaded the game's main menu, I had to wait 10 more minutes for the game to continue installing enough to let me start the campaign. The install-from-disc process also seems exceedingly slow; it took the better part of two hours for Ryse to install fully from a disc Microsoft provided.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...console-less-than-a-living-room-revolution/3/

eot

Banned
It's kind of funny to see console gamers argue against "plug and play" type functionality. I agree with them though.

Top Bottom