• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerds and Fedoras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auos2.jpg

I bought a grey fedora but once on my head it became a black fedora with stripes. I demand a refund!

Razek

Banned
This.
I personally think it looks good on people as long you match it with the right outfit.

The matching suit is an important part but I still think you need the right face type to really pull it off (look good, not just get a 'pass').

It's gotten so bad that someone gave me a baby shower gift saying "Just in case the little man becomes a singer!" and I was thinking it was some kind of plush toy microphone or music note or something.

It was a hat.

The fuck?
Hahahaha, I don't know why but I found that hilarious. Seems like it could be some running gag on Arrested Development.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
People calling Humphrey Bogart "the guy in the middle" in this thread is worse than any of the nerdora pictures.

squidyj

I don't really wear hats except for toques. That said you''ve got to have a face that suits it and you need to be dressed for it to work. You also need a fedora that isn't total crap.

Anyway what's GRAF's thoughts on wool petticoats?

It is fine with a suit when matched accordingly. It should never ever be worn in the way that most kids where them today.

Also the people that wear these hats thinking they look like Don Draper should know hat etiquette. A man should remove his hat after walking into a building.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't really wear hats except for toques. That said you''ve got to have a face that suits it and you need to be dressed for it to work. You also need a fedora that isn't total crap.

Anyway what's GRAF's thoughts on wool petticoats?

Now I just imagined Grahf saying

grahf.jpg
"Dost though desire the wool petticoats?"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hating on any specific fashion trend is kind of pointless; fashion is arbitrary and most of the time, the hate is merely indulging in pettiness.

Ironically, Notch pulls off the Fedora thing better than most of the pictures posted in this thread.

The deeper truth is that just about any "fashion" or attempt at style, or refinement, tends to look bad on the modern pale white nerd not because it's the wrong style or accessory. Rather, the geeks themselves look bad because of bad posture, being unable to carry themselves with confidence and cool. Pasty, greasy faces from sitting indoors too much and/or never going anywhere near an ounce of exertion (and that doesn't just apply to chubby people. There's plenty of rail-thin people who look just as unhealthy.)

That in addition to typically poor hygiene and greasy hair.

Now the joke is, see this guy?

LoPmn.jpg

Screw your internet hate - this kid looks good. He's got a good complexion, here at least, and he has something resembling a personality rather than the hollow gaze of the shut-in, and he's got the face for the anachronistic outlandishness he's going for. Looks like he knows how to wash his face once a day, rather than once a month. This is a cool guy. And not just because of how he chooses to dress.

char0n

I'm with more of the GAF sentiment that they're a go-to "I'm trying hard to look classy!" thing of the socially awkward for sure (they're like what trench coats were in the mid-late 90s), but the quotes from the article in the OP implying they're a sign of someone who has an underlying old-fashion sensibility of gender roles is pretty laughable. Anecdotal yes but I've known a few people who wear them badly and they all tend to be either the more asexual type or faux-intellectual usually radical-male-feminist type waaaay on the other end of the spectrum from the laughable-lothario-wannabe nerds and "get back in the kitchen" types.

Hating on any specific fashion trend is kind of pointless; fashion is arbitrary and most of the time, the hate is merely indulging in pettiness.

Ironically, Notch pulls off the Fedora thing better than most of the pictures posted in this thread.

The deeper truth is that just about any "fashion" or attempt at style, or refinement, tends to look bad on the modern pale white nerd not because it's the wrong style or accessory. Rather, the geeks themselves look bad because of bad posture, being unable to carry themselves with confidence and cool. Pasty, greasy faces from sitting indoors too much and/or never going anywhere near an ounce of exertion (and that doesn't just apply to chubby people. There's plenty of rail-thin people who look just as unhealthy.)

That in addition to typically poor hygiene and greasy hair.

LoPmn.jpg

Screw your internet hate - this kid looks good. He's got a good complexion, here at least, and he has something resembling a personality rather than the hollow gaze of the shut-in, and he's got the face for the anachronistic outlandishness he's going for. Looks like he knows how to wash his face once a day, rather than once a month. This is a cool guy. And not just because of how he chooses to dress.

I like how he's proud of his mustache.

I'd say it's testament to the sheer power of the fedora's awfulness that it makes the whole ensemble look a bit crap for this kid. If he lost it? Sure, he'd look fine. Wouldn't dress like that unless it was Halloween and I had a fake sonic screwdriver with me, but whatever. He just needs to abandon the fedora.

Apart from that, yeah, you're not wrong. Well, except about Notch, I really wish he'd lose the fedora too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
what is a troll exactly? you do socially retarded things with a sense of irony so no one realizes you're a horrible person inside?

TheExodu5

Banned

LoPmn.jpg

He would look better if he shaved the dirt-stache.

Sobriquet

I take credit for starting the early 00s fishing hat trend. Back in high school I bought one and wore it to a track meet. Partly because well, it keeps the sun out of your eyes but mostly just to be a dumbass. The next track meet I saw a few people with them, and then it fucking exploded after that, exponential growth style.

HNT-FishHat.jpg

Imo it is still a great hat to sport since it is a lot more casual.

That's a bit different. I started wearing those to work in the 90s because they're light, comfortable, and shield your eyes from the sun. It's function, not fashion.

I'm with more of the GAF sentiment that they're a go-to "I'm trying hard to look classy!" thing of the socially awkward for sure (they're like what trench coats were in the mid-late 90s), but the quotes from the article in the OP implying they're a sign of someone who has an underlying old-fashion sensibility of gender roles is pretty laughable. Anecdotal yes but I've known a few people who wear them badly and they all tend to be either the more asexual type or faux-intellectual usually radical-male-feminist type waaaay on the other end of the spectrum from the laughable-lothario-wannabe nerds and "get back in the kitchen" types.

Man, I hope neckties don't join Fedoras and Trenchcoats in that sort of current fate.

I like neckties.

Hm, we should have a Necktie thread.

I don't wear neckties too much, feels like I'm trying too hard :/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I see nerds try and rock this shit way more to try and hide the fact they're nerds. Nothing funnier than seeing this dude in a bar or club.

kangol-herringbone-cap.jpg

Nah, they don't fall into the same category as the trenchcoat. That was either an "I'm actually a badass! Honest! Why don't you believe me?" or "Look everyone! I'm dark and mysterious! Like Fox Mulder!" fashion statement for the nerd crowd.

char0n

Man, I hope neckties don't join Fedoras and Trenchcoats in that sort of current fate.

I like neckties.

Hm, we should have a Necktie thread.

I don't wear neckties too much, feels like I'm trying too hard :/

Neckties are safe because they are still common business-wear, not a forced-retro-fashion trend, and actively disliked by the socially awkward as a sign of their "conforming" peers. Once less than 1 in 50 people still wear ties with a suit and 10+ years pass and people start talking about "bringing ties back", then you can worry.

Leucrota

A fedora goes fine with a proper suit.

Then, there are idiots who wear fedoras with t-shirts. Please, if you are one of these people, straight fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom