• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s “One Piece” Renewed For Season 2 - Producer hopes for 12 seasons

bitbydeath

If they can keep the quality up they should have no issues reaching season 12.
Season 1 was very good and I believe it's still holding onto the global record for most watched ever Netflix show.

Eiichiro Oda, executive producer and creator of the original manga, posted a video announcing the pickup today. In the post he thanked fans, saying: “It seems people around the world have been enjoying the show, which makes the hard work from the production team truly worth it.”

He then confirms “Netflix has decided to renew the show! The adventures of Iñaki and the live-action Straw Hats will continue onward!” before saying: “it’ll still take a while to get the scripts ready, so please be patient.”
He then offered a tease saying: “From here on, it seems to me the Straw Hats will need a great doctor… We will see!”. That line refers to the fan-favorite character of Tony Tony Chopper whom Oda then draws on a sketch. That character is expected to join next season.

In an interview with Deadline, executive producers Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements spoke about the show’s chances for renewals and they hope to stick with it as long as possible:

Adelstein: “We have hopes for 12 seasons, there’s so much material”
Clements: “We’re over 1,080 chapters at this point in the manga… We have plans with Matt Owens for how we would break multiple seasons, and I think even if we did six seasons, we would probably only use up half of the chapters of the manga. It really could go on and on and on.”

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why do Netflix insist on doing these live action versions of anime, they always suck, are pushing a woke agenda, and are massive flops.
Edit: /s just in case it wasn't obvious

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Why do Netflix insist on doing these live action versions of anime, they always suck, are pushing a woke agenda, and are massive flops.

200w.gif

bitbydeath

It’s actually the best live action adaptation ever put to screen, there is no woke agenda, and last I checked it’s more popular than anything they’ve ever made before, including Stranger Things. You should check it out before bagging on it.

Last edited:

Dynomite

12 seasons? Seriously? With the amount of time it takes to produce a season these days, the cast is gonna be in their 50s by the final season lol.
I can see them merging elements of different story arcs instead of following each major arc.

Raonak

Banned
12 seasons would be the perfect amount.

1 East Blue
2 Alabasta
3 Skypiea
4 Water 7
5 Thriller Bark + Shabody
6 Summit War
(Timeskip)
7 Fishman Island
8 Punk Hazard + Dressrosa
9 Zou + WCI
10 Wano + Reverie
11 Egghead + Elbaf
12 Final War / Raftel

One Piece fans just love consuming content, wish I was so easily satisfied tbh. We'll see how long they can carry it before they get bored.
No such thing as too much one piece.

The crazy thing is we still have never got a legitimately great one piece game.

Last edited:

Tams

If they're going to get that far, then they'll need to shoot at least three seasons at a time.

Say a shoot takes two years from start to release, that's eight years, at which point Emily Rudd is definitely going to be pushing believability, and even the younger members of the cast will.

I think the most they could get from the cast is ten years, but that's a massive if.

Not to mention if any of the cast want to make a commitment that big.

Oh, and Netflix having zero record of managing to keep a show going that long.

Yoboman

1 East Blue
2 Alabasta
3 Skypiea
4 Water 7
6 Summit War
(Timeskip)
7 Fishman Island
9 Zou + WCI
10 Wano + Reverie
11 Egghead + Elbaf
12 Final War / Raftel

I'd go

1. East Blue
2. Loguetown to Alabasta
3. Jaya, Skypeia, LRLL plus Ace cover stories
4. Water 7 + Enies Lobby + Post Enies Lobby and Enel's cover stories
5. Thriller Bark to Saobody
6. Summit War
7. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard
8. Dressrosa
9. Zou and WCI
10. Wano 1 (act 1, 2 and Reverie)
11. Wano 2 (act 3)
12. Egghead, Elbaf

May need 13-14 for the final arcs

Raonak

Banned
Witcher also never had a long running storyline. It was originally built as a bunch of small standalone stories.

Between the original books and the games there really isn't that much to work with compared to game of thrones and one piece.

Last edited:
Watched entire Season 1 last night with the gf who didn't know anything about One Piece. First thing she says when the credits roll "WHEN IS SEASON 2 COMING OUT????"

Spyxos

Gold Member

1 East Blue
2 Alabasta
3 Skypiea
4 Water 7
6 Summit War
(Timeskip)
7 Fishman Island
9 Zou + WCI
10 Wano + Reverie
11 Egghead + Elbaf
12 Final War / Raftel

I did read the manga until Wano und watching the anime right now, but looking at your list it seems that it is finally soon over?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Serious question from an ignorant dude who has never seen the anime. But why wasn't this show burnt to the ground before release like cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell? ( I enjoyed both ).

YCoCg

Serious question from an ignorant dude who has never seen the anime. But why wasn't this show burnt to the ground before release like cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell? ( I enjoyed both ).
Because Netflix had this genius idea to actually work WITH the creator this time, and it turned out well. Cowboy Bebop was stained the moment one of the dumb fuck writers turned around and said "We're going the right the wrongs of the anime" and then the material was butchered. Ghost in the Shell wasn't bad just miscast for the lead and they relied on that joke of a plot twist to get around it "The white woman was originally Asian!".

Ghost in the Shell wasn't bad just miscast for the lead and they relied on that joke of a plot twist to get around it "The white woman was originally Asian!".
I'm glad that after the smoke has cleared, more people are realizing that the GiTS movie was actually decently good.

YCoCg

I'm glad that after the smoke has cleared, more people are realizing that the GiTS movie was actually decently good.
Honestly visually it was on point, the city shots looked amazing and most of the cast was great, just a shame that ScarJo was the lead and they had to write around that, rare case where everything else is good BUT the lead/protagonist.

Yoboman

Ghost in the Shell just isn't that great except revolutionary animation and aesthetics. So whats the point in adapting

Raonak

Banned
The showrunner is a massive one piece fan and the creator is not only heavily involved, but is also legitimately euthanasic about the project.
It feels like the show was made by fans for fans. They're sticking close to the original, but not trying to do a 1:1 adaption either.

Yoboman

How much fucking content they need to cut to only have 12 seasons?
OP Anime is very slow moving. Usually 1 chapter per episode. Sometimes less. Seasonal Animes usually do about 4 in the 20ish minute timeslot (after removing lengthy intros and outros)

While not exact the show so far has done 95 chapters in 8 episodes at about an hour each. So 12 chapters per episode. Which would be the equivalent to a seasonal anime which does 4 chapters in about 20ish minutes

To get to where the manga is now at 12 chapters per episode they would need 90 episodes which is about 11 seasons of they keep doing 8 episode format at 1 hour each

There are definitely some times they should slow down the pace though, it can't be break neck the whole way and the manga is a few years from finishing so I think if we get to 12 for the end of OP we will see cuts

Some areas feel easy to cut down. Most of Skypeia, Thriller Bark, Fishman Island...

GymWolf

OP Anime is very slow moving. Usually 1 chapter per episode. Sometimes less. Seasonal Animes usually do about 4 in the 20ish minute timeslot (after removing lengthy intros and outros)

While not exact the show so far has done 95 chapters in 8 episodes at about an hour each. So 12 chapters per episode. Which would be the equivalent to a seasonal anime which does 4 chapters in about 20ish minutes

To get to where the manga is now at 12 chapters per episode they would need 90 episodes which is about 11 seasons of they keep doing 8 episode format at 1 hour each

There are definitely some times they should slow down the pace though, it can't be break neck the whole way and the manga is a few years from finishing so I think if we get to 12 for the end of OP we will see cuts

Some areas feel easy to cut down. Most of Skypeia, Thriller Bark, Fishman Island...
Yeah i don't know, maybe it's because i follow the anime and not the manga, but i don't dislike a more slower pace, with some comedy bits or quiter bits or just soaking up the locations and the characters, if they cut all things not strictly related to the main plot, then it's not one piece anymore for me.

Sure they can cut 20 characters being impressed and commenting every move of a character or some other blatant ways to slow the anime down,
but for example, when there is the tournament in dressrosa, i want to listen to the small talk of every fighter that is gonna enter the luffy's army because that's how you get to know them, i want every bit of trafalgar background etc.

My fear is that the opera is gonna lose all the microdetails that make it special, if you cut too much, you end with cardboard characters and one piece characters are not exactly super deep to begin with.

It's hard to explain.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Edit: /s just in case it wasn't obvious
...Goddamnit I got, got.

I admit defeat. You actually played 4D chess for real and I bought it 100%. Everyone feel free to hit me hard with the gifs, cause I do deserve it lol.

DrFigs

If they're going to get that far, then they'll need to shoot at least three seasons at a time.

Say a shoot takes two years from start to release, that's eight years, at which point Emily Rudd is definitely going to be pushing believability, and even the younger members of the cast will.

I think the most they could get from the cast is ten years, but that's a massive if.

Not to mention if any of the cast want to make a commitment that big.

Oh, and Netflix having zero record of managing to keep a show going that long.
it's netflix, so there's like a 90% chance they don't make it past season 2.

dorkimoe

it's netflix, so there's like a 90% chance they don't make it past season 2.
yup. If i recall correctly they usually sign things/people for 2 or 3 seasons and anything after that they have to re-negotiate which netflix isnt gonna do very often.

Haemi

I liked it. Watched it over the weekend with my sister. Even though she doesn't like the anime, she liked this too.

Two things they could improve:
- Needs a good opening song. Preferably the first german opening.
- The music in the anime is much better. (No "3 towers" or "mother sea":messenger_pensive:)
- Needs more snot and tears.:pie_gsquint:

Last edited:

Comandr

I'm 3 episodes in. It's alright. Infinitely more watchable with the JP dub. GUM GUM just doesn't hit like GOMU GOMU NOOO. I dunno. You have these legendary voice talents like Mayumi Tanaka, Kazuya Nakai, Kappei Yamaguchi, fuckin Ikue Otani? OP has an all star cast, you kiddin me? Then that is picked up by essentially no name actors in the west- hey, I'm not mad it happened but the english dub is a joke.

One Piece is a tapestry of memorable characters, over the top absurdist comedy, and epic moments of action and emotion. One Piece works BECAUSE its a cartoon, not in spite of it. I'm really curious to see how Netflix is going to handle Chopper - you know, a talking anthropomorphic reindeer that's in a TON of scenes as a main character - or Brook? How am I going to connect with Laboon when we blast through 44 episodes of anime in 8 episodes of netflix?

I am glad for the apparent success and reception of the show. I am nervous how they're going to handle characters like Chopper, Ivankov, - the entirety of Kamabakka Kingdom even, Boa Hancock unapologetically kicking puppies and baby seals because she's beautiful and can get away with it... I'm just worried a lot of the fine detail in this amazing manga and anime will be blasted past, ignored, or worse, altered to fit some modern narrative. Sanji's eyebrow is a major, defining characteristic, and the center of a lot of jokes. And... he just doesn't have it anymore. If his fuckin eyebrow is "too cartoony" for netflix, holy shit we better just eject now.

Will pessimistically keep watching.

I'm 3 episodes in. It's alright. Infinitely more watchable with the JP dub. GUM GUM just doesn't hit like GOMU GOMU NOOO. I dunno. You have these legendary voice talents like Mayumi Tanaka, Kazuya Nakai, Kappei Yamaguchi, fuckin Ikue Otani? OP has an all star cast, you kiddin me? Then that is picked up by essentially no name actors in the west- hey, I'm not mad it happened but the english dub is a joke.

One Piece is a tapestry of memorable characters, over the top absurdist comedy, and epic moments of action and emotion. One Piece works BECAUSE its a cartoon, not in spite of it.
You're letting your reverence for the anime slowly ruin your entertainment of the live action property. Try to judge it and enjoy it by it's own merits.

Comandr

The English is not a dub (other than possibly the usual ones to fix bad recordings).

That really says a lot about you and the value of your opinion.
The English language version who cares? Semantics. How does my choice of word say “a lot about me and my opinion?” You just sound like a petty asshole. Haha.

The English is not a dub (other than possibly the usual ones to fix bad recordings).

That really says a lot about you and the value of your opinion.
His opinion has value just as much as any other One Piece fan, because they’re the ones who need to be appeased for word of mouth to spread. However, sometimes certain fans become too ingrained into a specific property so much, that they become a bit too rigid and nitpicky on other adaptations of it(like OVA, animated movies, video games, live action, etc.).

If this show does really well that will mean a win for literally all parties and that very much includes the anime industry as a whole, let alone One Piece. Live action anime as a medium has been needing it’s own version of back to back wins, like when comic books had Blade, Raimi’s Spider-Man movies, X-men 1 and 2, then eventually Iron Man 1.

The English language version who cares? Semantics. How does my choice of word say “a lot about me and my opinion?” You just sound like a petty asshole. Haha.
Tams is probably implying that your point of view when interacting with the show is treating it like an actual anime, criticizing the English version and immediately comparing it to a Japanese dub over, when this is not an actual animated show. The actors on the show aren’t just emoting through their voice, they’re fully acting these scenes out. The JP dub over would be considered a special DVD bonus years ago, not the main attraction.

From saying all this though it doesn’t matter to me. I just want people to enjoy the show and have a good time, including you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom