• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Castlevania series for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raitaro

Some reservations about how good this will turn out, but with this and the new season of Samurai Jack on AS, I do hope we're starting to enter a new age of action cartoons for older audiences.

Did not know about this. It reminded me that I never actually finished the original series despite liking the first episodes and the high acclaim it got everywhere. Does it hold up? Is the new series good?

Harpoon

Did not know about this. It reminded me that I never actually finished the original series despite liking the first episodes and the high acclaim it got everywhere. Does it hold up? Is the new series good?

The original series definitely holds up, and the new series isn't starting until March 11, so I can't answer that second question.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok so there's a good chance the writing for this is actually good with Ellis at the helm, then imagine a fitting artstyle and some classic CV tunes laced in there... Let's hope we get a good adaptation for once

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Warren Ellis has been hinting there was announcement hitting this week. I'm super excited, not because I have any great association with Castlevania, but because Ellis is writing it. REally curious how this turns out.

That's exactly why I'm interested. Wonder how he'll take to the format.

Belmont to be hard-drinking, chain-smoking and snarky as fuck confirmed.

Why haven't they shown literally anything, tho

Probably because it's not officially announced yet. Netflix released their schedule and it's on there, people start talking, and the show runner confirmed it. But an actual official announcement with a press release from Netflix + Frederator + Konami hasn't happened and it probably wasn't meant to be revealed just yet. I'd imagine the announcement will come with a trailer or at the very least a few stills, but that's total speculation on my part. Aside from seeing the old concept art and then some of the updated stuff ~7 months ago, I have no idea how far along it is. I was shocked to see it's a 2017 show, didn't realize it was that far into production.

Edit: Looks like Netflix has made an official statement now but still no screens or a trailer. Hm.

Raitaro

Probably because it's not officially announced yet. Netflix released their schedule and it's on there, people start talking, and the show runner confirmed it. But an actual official announcement with a press release from Netflix + Frederator + Konami hasn't happened and it probably wasn't meant to be revealed just yet. I'd imagine the announcement will come with a trailer or at the very least a few stills, but that's total speculation on my part. Aside from seeing the old concept art and then some of the updated stuff ~7 months ago, I have no idea how far along it is. I was shocked to see it's a 2017 show, didn't realize it was that far into production.

Edit: Looks like Netflix has made an official statement now but still no screens or a trailer. Hm.

Cheers for that final update. At least it's been officially confirmed and announced by Netflix, which is a start. Can you - or anyone that is keeping tabs - please keep us posted here if screens do show up?

Like I said before, I'm really curious to find out what kind of art style and tone they ended up going with. Imagine they'd actually do a more or less serious and sombre show with lots of Gothic imagery, Lords of Shadows style dramatic narration (centering around family, heritage and corruption) and plenty of hommages to classic Universal and Hammer horror monsters, just like the oldest games were/had. That would be incredible.

That said, I'd give it a chance as long as it is not another show full of memes, edgy humor and oversimplified character designs. Nothing against shows like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Rick & Morty or Bob's Burgers, to name a few, but for a Castlevania adaptation I want something more in line with The Last Unicorn meets Vampire Hunter D, i.e. melancholy, drama and gothic adventuring interspersed with bad-ass action. I guess my expectations might be a bit too high now that I think about it...

Takao

Banned
Pretty sure this art is from the current incarnation:
4PMe5oc.jpg

Taken from this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...-new-company-netflix-project/article33942446/

Retro

https://scontent.fmad3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/16681846_1882190505347908_6611482278335654776_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=97cb83d7e7df2216ddd6efe0f85e4a93&oe=59324618

Same picture, but with the logo added.

Fuck no, lemme fix that for them;

pjyfPHi.jpg

#Classicvania #NotMyC

Raitaro

That poster does look quite promising indeed! Hopefully it suggests that they're going for detailed gothic backgrounds similar to Castlevania game concept / box art.

Now we await the character designs.

Retro

Eww, the inferior Castlevania logo. :

Considering the Crescent Moon logo started being used as the series turned into mediocre God of War clones and rehashed Anime IGAvanias? Nope.

Just in terms of aesthetics, the gothic "C" seems more appropriate given the series is (for the most part) fixated on medieval and renaissance Europe. The moon logo, on the other hand, would be right at home on the cover of any young adult vampire novel.

Ahasverus

Considering the Crescent Moon logo started being used as the series turned into mediocre God of War clones and rehashed Anime IGAvanias? Nope.

Just in terms of aesthetics, the gothic "C" seems more appropriate given the series is (for the most part) fixated on medieval and renaissance Europe. The moon logo, on the other hand, would be right at home on the cover of any young adult vampire novel.
Just no. The moonlight C fit the increasnigly gothic ambiance of the games when it turned away from the generic medieval setting.

Oh no, I'm having flashbacks of the old Castlevania fanbase fights. Noooo.

LeleSocho

Banned
If Netflix's idea of Castlevania is based on that "super violent" thing then it's going to be a big no-no for me but i think that at least i'm going to watch the first episode.

Retro

Oh no, I'm having flashbacks of the old Castlevania fanbase fights. Noooo.

I'm mostly just playing "old man yells at cloud" here for shits and giggles, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a fight. :p

Still, that gothic C logo is at least more recognizable as representing the series, especially standing on its own, whereas the Crescent moon without the "astlevania" part could be on anything from werewold erotic fan fiction to a box of Lucky Charms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom