• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix picks up "The Ranch" starring Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - trailer is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCvKyjH7g8

Link.

Netflix is doubling down on its recent turn toward sitcom nostalgia, following its acquisition of Fuller House by picking up The Ranch, a new comedy reuniting That ’70s Show stars Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson. The pair will play brothers, with Kutcher returning to his family’s Colorado homestead after a short career as a semi-professional athlete—failed athlete being one of the most venerable of the sitcom professions, along with “photographer” and “whatever Chandler did on Friends.”

More tellingly, the show isn’t just a reunion in front of the camera, but behind it, with Kutcher also reuniting with his Two And A Half Men showrunners Don Reo and Jim Patterson. It’s great news for anyone who’s ever watched That ’70s Show and thought, “This is good, but it would be better if those two guys were older, brothers, and fake-married to each other as part of a convoluted scheme to tell jokes about boners.”

So far, the most innovative thing about The Ranch seems to be its release schedule, with Netflix forgoing its usual “Call off work on Monday” strategy of plunking down an entire year’s worth of shows in a single blast. The current plan is for The Ranch to instead release 20 episodes a year, dropping them in two 10-episode batches, keeping a fresh stream of content coming for Kutcher fans. Plus, the new strategy allows for the show to build to season-ending cliffhangers and edge-of-the-seat moments of suspense. Just imagine it: Danny Masterson, phone in hand, dials the number for Laura Prepon’s agent. Will she pick up, potentially lending The Ranch some of that Orange Is The New Black Netflix street cred? Or will he get screened? The music rises, the last seconds of the season running out...

Cut to black. Top that, Game Of Thrones.

Kaladin

Kornheiser_Why1.jpg

Ugh. Why?

Isnt Kutcher rich enough where he doesn't have to do sitcoms anymore? Also Masterson can keep his obnoxious Scientologist ass off my TV

Kelso was the funniest part.

But Two and a half men sucked with kutcher so I'm not too sure how this is going to turn out.

The parents antics pooped all over Kelso.
The girls were consistently funnier than Kelso.
Fez was funnier than Kelso.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt's one episode cameo was better than anything Kelso did in the entire run of the show.
Everyone was funnier than Kelso, who just played a lascivious airheaded cretin most of the time. I'll give Kutcher credit for never once breaking kayfabe and being the consistently most unlikable character on a sitcom full of irredeemable behavior.

hamchan

It's a good pickup for Netflix I think. It doesn't really appeal to me but I can see people wanting to watch it.

Ivan 3414

The parents antics pooped all over Kelso.
The girls were consistently funnier than Kelso.
Fez was funnier than Kelso.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt's one episode cameo was better than anything Kelso did in the entire run of the show.
Everyone was funnier than Kelso, who just played a lascivious airheaded cretin most of the time. I'll give Kutcher credit for never once breaking kayfabe and being the consistently most unlikable character on a sitcom full of irredeemable behavior.

Kelso might have not been the funniest but at least he wasn't annoying like Fez. Fez was the worst part of the show.

Edit: oh this is an old topic =/

Lucky Louie also threw me for a loop during its short run for this reason. I couldn't really get into. I think it relies on a lot of love for the format, which I can't say I have.

Oh that's right. I haven't thought about Lucky Louie in a long time. It was decent, but didn't really work for me either. I do love Seinfeld and Friends, but that's really about it as far as multicam sitcoms go.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Seriously, why does Ashton Kutcher still have a career? Has he ever been in anything beyond That 70s Show and maybe Dude Where's My Car where people were glad he was involved?

Kelso was the funniest part.

But Two and a half men sucked with kutcher so I'm not too sure how this is going to turn out.
I hated Kelso and the girlfriend, so annoying. Her voice was so grating in that show.

Then again I mostly liked Eric and Donna. The "badass" friend was cool but never found him funny and the only time I remember actually laughing out loud was from a scene where I think Fez was dressed like a pimp and holding a gun sideways. For some reason I think it was Eric's mom daydreaming or something.
Oh ffs those sets. That music. Their accent. I... who is this for again?

It looks pretty bad but I'll give it a shot for Sam Elliot and Jack Bauer's daughter.

I don't get why shows still use laugh tracks. It's cheesy and distracting.

pablito

It's weird hearing fuck with a laughtrack lol.

I'll watch it. Love some Hyde and Kelso. And like someone mentioned, please have just one "my eye" joke.

I've actually been re-watching That 70's Show the past few months.

I can confirm that Kelso is the funniest part of the show. Kutcher's body-language alone is under-appreciated and the laughs he gets from other castmates are the most genuine.

Edit: Trailer didn't do much for me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
look, I don't hate canned laughter as much as some people do, but jokes have to be funny at least, which doesn't seem to be the case here, besides the fact I can't understand shit of what Elliott is saying

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is not the Ranch I was hoping for...

giphy.gif

JayTapp

Gonna be perfect for listening on ipad before sleep, I need something less intense sometimes to relax.

The laugh track is a bit in your face though.

This makes me wonder how long until we get a Girl Meets World/Fuller House version of That 70's Show set in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom