• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix to roll out a new, more immersive web interface starting in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

HORRORSHØW

This was the best
xbox-360-netflix-update.jpg
that shit looks fucking awful

Symphonia

Banned
As long as they don't fuck with the PS4 app, I'm good.
It's just the web UI they redesigned, to make it in-line with the console and mobile apps. In my opinion, this is not a bad thing. The web UI was atrocious, whereas their console/mobile apps were near perfect.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix is rolling it out the new web interface today.

Today, we are excited to unveil the new Netflix website. It’s our first major update in four years, and it’s an experience that has been built from the ground up to make it faster and easier to discover something great to watch for our millions of members around the world.

Over the past four years, web browsers have changed a lot, becoming more sophisticated and allowing for richer visuals and animations. How our members use Netflix has changed too. We’re spending more and more time using mobile and tablet apps.

With the new Netflix website, we’ve created a richer, more visual experience, and a website that works more like an app and less like a series of linked web pages. Information appears in-line and in context rather than on a separate page, which makes exploring the catalog faster than ever before.

When you hover your mouse over a title, you will now see a slideshow of images from that movie or show. We hope this slideshow will give you a better feel for what the show is about than reading the description alone.

Clicking on the title or synopsis opens an inline details pane, allowing you to browse episodes and read details and reviews. You can also explore similar titles by clicking More Like This, or jump off to titles from the same cast, genre or mood.

Scrolling through rows is now much faster, with a mouse-click advancing a full row at a time.

We’ve designed the website to work whether you are using a mouse, trackpad, or a touch screen. Touch screen users can tap to play or open details, and swipe to scroll through rows of titles.

The website is rolling out globally starting today and may take up to two weeks to reach all members. A small number of members on older versions of popular browsers will be prompted to upgrade their browser before they can access the new site.

We hope you enjoy the new Netflix website. It has been an exciting project for us, and we are thrilled to share it with you.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How about HD on my tablet instead of the like 4 you support now?

M3d10n

How many people use the web interface? Didn't it stop working on Chrome since it no longer supports any plugins outside from the built-in Flash player?

Nimajneb

Boo, it still uses extremely slowly scrolling horizontal lists. The worst trend in web design, it takes forever to look through them.

FUUUUUUCK this new UI sucks a bag of dicks. I can only view 5 episodes of a TV show at once instead of having them all in a nice list? How the fuck is this an improvement?

My toddler daughter wants me to watch some MLP with her on my PC and says she wants to watch "the camping one". I know the title of it but can't remember the season so I'm clicking through to find it, 5 episodes at a time, and she's getting excited about all preview pics and changing her mind about which one she wants. Then she can't decide and so I say I'm just going to pick one and then all hell breaks loose because she's 2 and didn't get to pick it herself.

This UI is nothing but trash.

malfcn

I hate the current interface on PS/Xbox. There are times I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find things.

jts

...hate me...
I don't mind the web interface, what I'd really want is a better web player, with half decent caching/scrubbing capabilities.

The PS4 Netflix player is a ton better in that regard.

I find it hard to discover things on Netflix, particularly documentaries that don't involve conspiracies or nature. This layout does not lend itself well to discovery.
We need filters.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Great, they fixed the UI finally. Now they can fix the sorting, actually having new additions added to the "New Releases" and generally fix the ability to find stuff.

knkng

I'm really not liking how the images keep ballooning out when I scroll my mouse over the screen. You also can no longer see the director or lead actors in that initial description, you have to click on the arrow to bring up the full overview. Even then, it only lists the top 3 actors, and you have to click the "Details" button to see the director (this is shameful). Also, if you are part way through watching something, the running time bar overrides the movie description in the initial description (when the poster image balloons out). What the fuck?

Having TV episodes listed in the same manner as the movies is also absurd. 5 episodes at a time for a series with hundreds of episodes. Cheers.

TheMan

Man fuck the person who removed the Genre lists from the apps..

This. 1000 time this. It is so fucking dumb that I can't just click on a list of genres and browse that way, instead of having to scroll through genres that netflix thinks I want to see. This glaring defect makes the console versions of netflix vastly inferior.

Netflix.com is the only Netflix I use anymore. Mostly because you can't use Windows 8 apps if you've disabled UAC via the registry, which is pants on head fucking STUPID. So I'm glad for this. Works fairly well.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Netflix.com is the only Netflix I use anymore. Mostly because you can't use Windows 8 apps if you've disabled UAC via the registry, which is pants on head fucking STUPID. So I'm glad for this. Works fairly well.
Some would say disabling UAC is pants on head stupid.

That said I havent touched UAC on my windows 8.1HTPC I never get asked for permission to launch kodi or Netflix app. Works just fine, not sure why you would need to disable UAC.

Fucking tabletification of Desktop websites. Hate it.

Less titles on screen, more extra steps to go to where i want. Can we please get the person responsible fired? And can we take away the money that person earned during developing this? Because no one deserves anything for this.

Fucking tabletification of Desktop websites. Hate it.

Less titles on screen, more extra steps to go to where i want. Can we please get the person responsible fired? And can we take away the money that person earned during developing this? Because no one deserves anything for this.

Agreed. I hate the tile interface being shoved onto platforms that really don't need it. I understand the desire to have a uniform UI over all devices, but I don't like how click-heavy it's become on my laptop.

The new desktop Netflix interface is not good. They removed "x seasons" label from the TV series mouseover, when browsing show lists. Now I have to click the down arrow, select "episodes" and there see how many seasons it has. Otherwise..meh, I'm ok. They seem to give a LOT more real estate for movie / series pictures. The lists are now only ~6 items per page, instead of old ~10 or so.

Overall, this is a downgrade for me because they "made the interface better" by removing functionality.

cacildo

Don't hate the new interface! It's "immersive"

Because, you know, you need to be "immersed" when you are choosing a fucking movie

Mathezar

How about an alphabetic catalog, finally?

This. Why is this still not implemented, seeing as it's so basic. I just want to browse what's available instead of using some third party site that may or may not be up to date.

It could be just me, but this new interface is only just that. I don't see any improvements feature-wise or usability.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The new one is nice and I have no problem with it but I don't see how it's any more functional than the desktop/browser UI was even five year ago. Hell I still vastly prefer the browser UI from several years ago to literally any other Netflix app I've ever encountered, including Roku and some nasty smart-tv ones.

Some would say disabling UAC is pants on head stupid.

That said I havent touched UAC on my windows 8.1HTPC I never get asked for permission to launch kodi or Netflix app. Works just fine, not sure why you would need to disable UAC.

I have four hard drives in my computer and for some reason, even though I'm the administrator account, all sorts of little shit would still be disallowed. Like copying and sharing lots of my files, or browsing and copying files from my other computer, or anything that wouldn't normally pull up a UAC notification but would still require administrator permissions. The only thing that fixed it in the end was disabling my UAC.

injurai

Banned
The new one is nice and I have no problem with it but I don't see how it's any more functional than the desktop/browser UI was even five year ago. Hell I still vastly prefer the browser UI from several years ago to literally any other Netflix app I've ever encountered, including Roku and some nasty smart-tv ones.

Sometimes it's just about moving onto a better code base, and trying to make things nicer aesthetically in the process.

Nimajneb

How come "Continue Watching" isn't at the top of the page? It's like the fifth category, I have to scroll down a page to see it.

I also hate how shows/movies don't have their own page anymore. I don't see how having to click through several tabs is more "immersive" than just putting all the info about a movie on one page where you can see all the info on the movie at once. Reading reviews on a unportable popup list is especially bad.

It might be a good interface for a console of tablet, but on a browser on a PC, it's pretty awful. The last version was bad as well, they should have stuck with the version from a few years ago.

But at least you can click through lists now, rather than scrolling really slowly like the last version.

Converse

Banned
At least I can easily get information about movies under the "Details" section. Alongside Netflix, I just subscribed to Hulu; I still haven't figured out how to show the god-damned director of any given movie on Hulu. That should be basic info. Love the selection, but the interface is super shitty. And I agree with many posters here -- both of those services need to get down the basics of simple search results. Why is that so hard?

So I guess it makes the new Netflix UI look good in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom