• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's representation campaign - First Time I Saw Me

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Netflix’s new campaign, #FirstTimeISawMe, asks actors, directors, and other creatives when they first saw a character on screen who looked like them, who they identified with. In powerful short videos, prominent voices in entertainment who work with Netflix like Ava DuVernay (The 13th), Spike Lee (She’s Gotta Have It), and Marlon Wayans (Naked) speak on their experiences growing up without representation in the TV and movies they watched.

“The last 10 years is when I’ve seen more representations that feel like folks in my real life behaving in a way that feels familiar to me,” explains DuVernay. “What we’re seeing now that’s so beautiful in this renaissance of television and film is a centering of folks who have so often been in the margins.”

Different videos:

At the link: Spike Lee, Marque Richardson, Logan Browning, Selenis Leyva.

Some more:

The First Time I Saw Me was probably Amaury Nolasco (Sucre) in Prison Break and the whole family from The George Lopez Show.

Richie

Great idea for a campain, can only benefit media.

The First Time I Saw Me was via
Todd's asexuality
in Bojack Horseman. Broke down and cried like I hadn't in ages. Meant a lot.

redhood56

Banned
I tried watching the Ava DuVeneray one and my god why was there so many fucking jump cuts? I like the idea for the campaign though

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great idea for a campain, can only benefit media.

The First Time I Saw Me was via
Todd's asexuality
in Bojack Horseman. Broke down and cried like I hadn't in ages. Meant a lot.

Yup, I love the idea. And people are joining in on Twitter.

Top Bottom