• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

I know it must be sad to see your favorite brand of homogenized mediocrity being dropped in favor of a more traditional approach but there's no need for denial. Miyamoto and co warned you, 3D World was a temporary attempt to attract the 2d sidescrollers audience, it was never supposed to be the future of the series.

If anything, 3D World is the one that's more traditional and true to its roots from SMB1-SMW.

It looks like they took the 3D World engine, brought back features like the triple jump, and went crazy with it. Which is a great direction to take Mario in.

I have no idea how people in this thread are coming to such detailed conclusions with this amount of footage. Based on the few seconds we've seen it could be like 3DW (very linear) or SM64 (very open) or anywhere in between. Whatever it is, it looks fantastic and I already can't wait to play it.

THAT'S MARIO 64-2

200_s.gif
It is :')

Thanks Nintendo

daakusedo

These rings are floating above the pit though, just like that it's not evident how to go through them, or the platform is moving...

I have no idea how people in this thread are coming to such detailed conclusions with this amount of footage. Based on the few seconds we've seen it could be like 3DW (very linear) or SM64 (very open) or anywhere in between. Whatever it is, it looks fantastic and I already can't wait to play it.

Yup. Especially when leakers said that it was supposed to be "different" from the other marios...

Peterc

yO3rlz2.gif

Lwyvtrt.gif

Stolen from another Switch post.

Looks great. Mario64 successor? I'm there.

OPEN WORLD CONFIRMED :p

Look at the background, they are the same, what about the moon?
Nintendo wanted a new type of mario game, they said they wanted to make it more like they thought about zelda bow

That look absolutely nothing like 3D World, yes.

It literally looks like 3D World DLC

Right down to the lighting that gleams off the reused sandy tile assets and the reused bullet bill models/animations and the reused smoke puff that means Mario is going faster than his normal 3D World speed.

RagnarokX

I really don't think we have enough footage to say that, but again I really doubt Nintendo would be making this new Mario game that doesn't use many of the features of their new system, which includes 2nd stick camera control. Seeing that open town makes it very optimistic that the game is more open with a camera to boot

We do have very limited footage, but really none of it implies open world.

PTzs4I6.jpg

Here's the first scene. The way all of the buildings in the town face the camera and how they are arranged in a corridor, as well as the emptiness to the sides and behind Mario suggests that the camera won't be able to spin 360 degrees. The scene is reminiscent of Toad Town at the start of Galaxy.

l9b6bvh.jpg

The goal is straight ahead, too, as indicated by the giant glowing beacon ala Galaxy.

3OPgLU8.jpg

All of the action heads in that direction.

djQlQG7.jpg

Here we have the second scene. A linear platforming corridor with high walls on the left and a wall going down on the right (probably instant death if you fall over it). The world beyond the edge of the level on the right appears to be empty window dressing like in Galaxy and 3D Land/World to make the worlds feel bigger. The action is all funneling you forward. The level appears to turn left up ahead and go left. You can see the ruins of the 2nd scene behind the town in the first scene.

I believe this is the same level and the goal is to the left. The camera will follow Mario when the level turns and such so the levels can have twists and turns, but the level shown in this footage isn't like Mario 64's dioramas. It's more of a hybrid of Galaxy and 3D World. Definitely linear but with more complexity.

People saying this looks like 3D World style gameplay are blind. Looks very open from these shots, plus the movement options are very similar to Mario 64, which I'm sure was intentionally shown. Looks like a 64 successor with the graphical style of 3D World, which should excite anyone interested in Mario.

OPEN WORLD CONFIRMED :p

Look at the background, they are the same, what about the moon?
Nintendo wanted a new type of mario game, they said they wanted to make it more like they thought about zelda bow

By background, are you talking about the skybox?

Because skyboxes can and almost always are reused in multiple, completely-separate levels. In practically every game that uses them. Sharing a skybox doesn't mean it's open world.

My understanding (you will notice I am using this phrase a lot on purpose) is that this is more explore-y than the recent games but not as much as Mario 64.

Think Mario 64 if the ratio of exploration levels to Bowser levels was reversed.

kinggroin

Banned
My understanding (you will notice I am using this phrase a lot on purpose) is that this is more explore-y than the recent games but not as much as Mario 64.

Think Mario 64 if the ratio of exploration levels to Bowser levels was reversed.

That's positive news, though I'd kill for a full on Mario 64 styled sequel

Raitaro

The more open, the more excited I will get for this. More 64 and Sunshine than Galaxy or 3D World in other words. The camera angle and triple jump make me hopeful for that.

Had expected a bigger shift in art style this time though, to help differentiate both the game and the Switch from their predecessors but perhaps this will be enough with the addition of new, real life inspired themes like Mexico.

Anth0ny

hmm

a step in the right direction, at least!

Aldric

That was to be expected after Miyamoto's words earlier this year. They're very concerned about Mario being accessible to everyone so they'll likely never make another fully non linear game like 64 but it's good to know it's at least a step in the right direction.

RagnarokX

People saying this looks like 3D World style gameplay are blind. Looks very open from these shots, plus the movement options are very similar to Mario 64, which I'm sure was intentionally shown. Looks like a 64 successor with the graphical style of 3D World, which should excite anyone interested in Mario.

There's clearly a linear path to the goal. How is that anything like Mario 64? The footage doesn't show a vast world with multiple ways you can go. There's just one (that we can see).

Im just glad we're getting a legit EAD Tokyo(or whatever they're named) 3D Mario next year. If they had shown off another fuckin NSMB game with those same tired ass aesthetic choices, I would have probably killed myself.

Kinsei

Banned

So basically Galaxy? I'm 100% okay with this.

emb

Wonder how you get those gold rings. Looks like a long jump will leave you falling. Something's rumbling or rising in the lava/mud stuff on the right though, maybe via that thing. Of course, we also can't see if there's a floor for sure on the left, that's also possible.

Menitta

Galaxy is way more similar to 3D World than it is to 64/Sunshine.

Also, to the people asking for Mario 64-2, do you hate FLUDD so much that you don't count Sunshine as 64's sequel?

I disagree. Galaxy is more Mario 64 than Sunshine. It's controls, even if you were to remove Fludd, aren't as close to 64. In addition, its structure and how the world works is identical to 64.

Sunshine>64

Edit: When I say world, i mean hub.

Edit2: meant "aren't" instead of are. Oops.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The only all-new game shown, and it's a beauty. It has the camera of the first four 3D Mario games too which is a good sign that it's not like 3D Land or World.

mario2axfq.gif

Why are those mountains transparent ?

Those aren't mountains, it's ice. There's even a cloudy "dry ice" effect coming off of them. perhaps there's an ice theme the game? Maybe simply for the Desert level, it's being cooled off by giant towers of ice? Perhaps it's part of your mission (oh god please bring back the missions from SM64)

Realeza

Banned
It literally looks like 3D World DLC

Right down to the lighting that gleams off the reused sandy tile assets and the reused bullet bill models/animations and the reused smoke puff that means Mario is going faster than his normal 3D World speed.

Learn what literally means.

I personally don't care whether it's an open world or linear either way this jumped close to my top most anticipated game at the moment. I'm a huge fan of the 3D World myself and think it has one of the best level designs in any Mario game so I'd more than happy with more of the same as well.

There's clearly a linear path to the goal. How is that anything like Mario 64? The footage doesn't show a vast world with multiple ways you can go. There's just one (that we can see).

lol what goal? is there a goal in any of these shots?

also this is just a second or two of footage. you could just as easily take 2 seconds of footage of Mario running down a hallway from Mario 64 and decide oh that's a linear game too.

Galaxy is way more similar to 3D World than it is to 64/Sunshine.

Also, to the people asking for Mario 64-2, do you hate FLUDD so much that you don't count Sunshine as 64's sequel?

Mario Sunshine was Mario 64 with a bad camera, glitchy levels, questionable stage design (frustrating at points) and an undesired gimmick strapped to your back. Consider it a sequel, sure, but also consider that there is a lot working against that game to make people want another shot at a SM64 sequel, but you know, good.

It's like telling Sonic Adventure fans tossup up because they got Sonic 06 already. People want another shot at that gameplay style, but with actual polish.

Kurt

Those aren't mountains, it's ice. There's even a cloudy "dry ice" effect coming off of them. perhaps there's an ice theme the game? Maybe simply for the Desert level, it's being cooled off by giant towers of ice? Perhaps it's part of your mission (oh god please bring back the missions from SM64)

Well global warming is a thing that's happening right now :)

In the other screenshot , same thing though. A frozen fountain it seems?
But it's the same level/theme, because you can see the same kind of mountains in the far background. (not talking now about the ice mountains)

Top Bottom