• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

sugarless

I have a regular XL, considering replacing with standard New 3DS. I really dislike the blown-out resolution, weight/balance and size of the XL and think the New 3DS has the improvements I'm looking for. But I also really like 3D. So is the New 3DS 3D a marked improvement over the OG XL or is New 3DS XL w/ IPS the only worthwhile upgrade?

New 3DS non-XL 3D is to me a marked improvement over OG XL, and I still use a Japanese OG so I feel I'm not just speaking as one more used to the new image.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah I'm going from old xl to new 3ds with that pkmn bundle and one of the things in most looking forward to is the vastly improved 3d. Came to check this thread to see what the deal is with the standard size n3ds, so they're all TN ?

BioFan

I never notice this a thing. Thought all n3DSXL screens are better.
I did a test on my Hyrule Edition and found out that my top screen is TN buuuut my bottom is IPS.
But before reading this post I never have any problem playing, so I guess I will just ignore this TN and IPS thing. Always thought the screen is awesome. Never had the old 3ds to compare though

[Update] I just realized that I have to turn the 3D off while doing the test. If that's the case, mine has an ips display. Yaay?? I don't know anymore. But love my Hyrule n3DS!!!

I have a top IPS and bottom TN.

One is better than none like on my n3ds.

PSNPtD2.jpg

iyeKDgc.jpg

I had an IPS screen and it cracked. I'm not going through Nintendo for repairs. If I buy a replacement 3DS top screen by itself, it's almost assuredly going to be TN, right?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Question about the IPS screen, wont IPS screen cause input lag versus TN panel?

Technically speaking yes, but when put into practise you'll never notice the top and bottom screens having different display times, it's that close. Not a soul has had that problem from what I can tell.

I pre-ordered a Fire Emblem New 3DS XL. What are my chances for IPS screens?

An upper one is a crap shoot.

Having a lower one seems to be extremely rare, do not count on it.

Damn I want dual IPS 3DS!!

It's cool that someone in this thread got one.

Yrael

An upper one is a crap shoot.

Having a lower one seems to be extremely rare, do not count on it.

It's cool that someone in this thread got one.

They might be more common with the newer batches of n3DS XL. The release of the Hyrule n3DS XL coincides with the first time I've actually seen the bottom screen being IPS.

i need help here

i think the top screen is IPS
but the lower screen is a bit yellow

is this normal in N3DS XL ?
the power save is off. brightness is up to max and no auto brightness.

Nintendo aren't (properly) calibrating the displays. It's normal, and I believe they mention it on their site.

O3DS and O3DS XL both has whiter lower screen

maybe it's hard here , but when you can see it in eye.

What I meant is that variation is to be expected on the 3DS, because those are Nintendo's standards. Mine has a slightly red-ish tint. Others are pushing blue. As long as the unit is otherwise fine, I call it "good enough".

L.O.R.D

What I meant is that variation is to be expected on the 3DS, because those are Nintendo's standards. Mine has a slightly red-ish tint. Others are pushing blue. As long as the unit is otherwise fine, I call it "good enough".

aha , got it.

why nintendo doesn't check the screen before they attach it to the system ?

L.O.R.D

not screen related , but i found when i open the screen for this new 3DS , it doesn't make a clicky sound, the O3DS XL make very loud clicky sound in each angle.

not screen related , but i found when i open the screen for this new 3DS , it doesn't make a clicky sound, the O3DS XL make very loud clicky sound in each angle.

Yeah, that's also a thing. Some click, and some don't. Mine doesn't click either. Different hinge parts, I suppose.

L.O.R.D

Yeah, that's also a thing. Some click, and some don't. Mine doesn't click either. Different hinge parts, I suppose.
Yah , there is very small gap between the screen and the hinge,you can move the screen part 3 millimeter.
in O3DSXL i can't do that.

Femto.

Alright GAF

For those getting the FE Fates 3DS XL today post your screen types!

I won't open mine until I get some impressions. I already have a top IPS panel with my Majora's Mask edition so I'll return the FE one if they're all wonky.

Alright GAF

I won't open mine until I get some impressions. I already have a top IPS panel with my Majora's Mask edition so I'll return the FE one if they're all wonky.

got mine today

tn top screen and the bottom is ips i believe

Pangya

Alright GAF

I got three FE Fates 3DS XL in the hopes of one of them being top IPS panel. All three were top TN panel, bottom IPS panel. I really wanted to switch, but I'm not willing to give up the top IPS panel of the Majora one I have. I'm picking one more up from Gamestop later today, but things aren't looking good.

pahamrick

I got three FE Fates 3DS XL in the hopes of one of them being top IPS panel. All three were top TN panel, bottom IPS panel. I really wanted to switch, but I'm not willing to give up the top IPS panel of the Majora one I have. I'm picking one more up from Gamestop later today, but things aren't looking good.

Similar to my best friend who picked up a FE Fates system, bottom was IPS top was TN.

Femto.

Wow I just picked mine up from GameStop too.

Thanks for the reports, I'll return it if no one gets an IPS top panel by the end of the weekend.

L.O.R.D

the Fuck ?
top panel is TN is the bottom is IPS ? why ?

is get if they did Top IPS panel , but bottom only ?

here what i understand from the whole satiation

it was suppose only TN panel for both screen, but the shortage of panels in the factory made them replace it with IPS panel instead of IPS.
so it's "defect" from stranded point.

if you send your 3DS to nintendo asking for a fix for the screen, they gonna take the IPS and replace it for a TN.

got mine today

tn top screen and the bottom is ips i believe

These New 3DS XL models have been out for a year here in the states and Nintendo is still screwing around with screens. Damn.

Thanks for posting!

can you post photos ?
because it doesn't make any sense.

Femto.

can you post photos ?
because it doesn't make any sense.

I figured I'd open mine up anyway, called the dude at GameStop and said he would refund me if I still don't want to keep it.

Pics are from an iPhone 6 so excuse the shoddy quality.

Left pic: Majora's Mask 3DS XL with top IPS screen and bottom TN screen
Right pic: Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL with top TN and bottom IPS. (Given the number of reports it seems like this screen setup will be the case for this SKU.)

Remaining pics are a side by side.

Edit: Brightness was set to 3 on both with power save off.

This sucks because after opening the FE one I really like the design, but the screens make me unhappy. Can I send both to Nintendo and have them put both IPS in the FE one? :(
Some serious cognitive dissonance will be at play if I keep and use the FE one.

Shenmue

Banned
Hmmmm top TN, bottom IPS could be nice though. Cause of the touch screen, the bottom always has this kind of weird screen door effect. With the IPS there you get a really clear looking bottom screen and on the top you get better black detail with the TN.

L.O.R.D

I figured I'd open mine up anyway, called the dude at GameStop and said he would refund me if I still don't want to keep it.

Pics are from an iPhone 6 so excuse the shoddy quality.

Left pic: Majora's Mask 3DS XL with top IPS screen and bottom TN screen
Right pic: Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL with top TN and bottom IPS. (Given the number of reports it seems like this screen setup will be the case for this SKU.)

Remaining pics are a side by side.

This sucks because after opening the FE one I really like the design, but the screens make me unhappy. Can I send both to Nintendo and have them put both IPS in the FE one? :(
Some serious cognitive dissonance will be at play if I keep and use the FE one.

i think if you send it to them they will put TN panel on the lower one.
if you know modding you can take the shell of the FEfate and put it on majoras mask

the lower shell can be easy replaceable.

Femto.

Hmmmm top TN, bottom IPS could be nice though. Cause of the touch screen, the bottom always has this kind of weird screen door effect. With the IPS there you get a really clear looking bottom screen and on the top you get better black detail with the TN.
It would be hard to switch after being use to the color accuracy with the IPS panel.

BTW , what frameware those 3DS in it?
edit: apparently it's 10.3.
Only because I don't know, what would firmware have to do with it?

Vitacat

This sucks because after opening the FE one I really like the design, but the screens make me unhappy. Can I send both to Nintendo and have them put both IPS in the FE one?

No way in hell. They'll just tell you (the truth) that displays can vary and your 3DS is normal.

If you really hate it then return it. In all honesty, when you're playing games you're not going to be looking at the face/bottom design anyway. You have a nice MM edition with IPS, be happy.

Femto.

No way in hell. They'll just tell you (the truth) that displays can vary and your 3DS is normal.

If you really hate it then return it. In all honesty, when you're playing games you're not going to be looking at the face/bottom design anyway. You have a nice MM edition with IPS, be happy.
I totally know that's the response I'd get I'm just being melodramatic lol

Don't read too much into my complaining. Knowing myself I'll probably keep it, it would be my 4th 3DS.

i noticed something different compared to my red 3ds xl,

the screens dont really react well touching the screens with fingers, it's like they are gripping the fingers a tiny bit

im not sure if i explained that well

Yrael

the fates new 3ds xl is my fifth 3ds

In total, I have owned seven separate 3DS systems. >_> Most of them have been sold or swapped though:

1) Bought an original black 3DS at launch.
2) Bought the first Zelda edition 3DS, moved my ambassador status to it, and sold the first 3DS.
3) Bought a grey 3DS XL.
4) The screen of the grey 3DS XL turned out to be horribly yellow, so I traded it for a blue 3DS XL with a better calibrated screen.
5) Bought a white new 3DS, moved my ambassador status to it, sold the blue 3DS XL.
6) Bought a Majora's Mask new 3DS XL (TN screen).
7) Saw this thread and found out that there was a different type of screen. I went to JB Hi Fi and managed to get my hands on another MM n3DS XL, and saw that the difference between TN and IPS was night and day. I ended up selling the TN screen MM n3DS XL (to a friend who said he didn't care about the screen type). The MM n3DS XL that I kept is now my ambassador 3DS.

Never again, lol.

Dranakin

Must be pretty rare. I just got home with my 4th Fates 3DS and it's the same thing, top TN bottom IPS. Are both screens IPS? That would be pretty nice.

Some people have reported getting models with both IPS screens (not specific to the Fates SE, I mean).

m00h

Banned
Got a New 3DS XL last week (it's my third 3DS) and knew nothing about the different display types. Now I found this thread, and THANK GOD my upper screen is an IPS, because otherwise I would be very very unhappy right now. My lovver screen is TN, but I can live with that.

Top Bottom