• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atheism, Old Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Having read both God is not great and God Delusion, the authors are really shitty at banking on Islamophobia considering how little both books touch on the subject of Islam.

All abrahamic religions get thrown under the bus, and Dawkins even admits he doesn't address Islam as much, because he is more familiar with Christianity.

I don't think the author of this piece read these books TBH, because I can't imagine someone putting down the books and walking away with "yep, imperialist fear mongering west aggrandizing drivel".

Azih

Having read both God is not great and God Delusion, the authors are really shitty at banking on Islamophobia considering how little both books touch on the subject of Islam.

All abrahamic religions get thrown under the bus, and Dawkins even admits he doesn't address Islam as much, because he is more familiar with Christianity.

I don't think the author of this piece read these books TBH, because I can't imagine someone putting down the books and walking away with "yep, imperialist fear mongering west aggrandizing drivel".

It's not just their books but their comments and commentaries in other venues that the article highlights as well.

I'll respond to you in a bit CY but you have got to see that you're not talking about the OP article and its criticism of Harris/Hitchens/Dawkins but your own views so we're speaking past each other. I'm criticizing their bullshit arguments in specific while you seem to agree with that but are defending their general approach as you have a similar one. Am I wrong in that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lust for killing Muslims? Sure, guy.

I am skeptical of anyone arriving at the conclusion that we need to conduct a pre-emptive nuclear strike against another nation, at least in the current geopolitical context, without some serious emotional factors in place. There's a reason we're all still alive after the Cold War

cackhyena

I am skeptical of anyone arriving at the conclusion that we need to conduct a pre-emptive nuclear strike against another nation, at least in the current geopolitical context, without some serious emotional factors in place. There's a reason we're all still alive after the Cold War
If someone equates the idea of pre-emptive strikes to a lust for killing, I don't even know what to say to that person.

There is no reason for an atheist to seek the company of others on being an atheist alone. Atheism is default.
Attempts to create a social movement centralized around atheism are silly. I don't put any thought into being an atheist.

I think those newly returning to atheism from religion act upon emotions either brought about by, or needs unserved, directly tied to their former religion. Sometimes it seems as if their conversion serves as vengeance towards their previous beliefs.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
It's not just their books but their comments and commentaries in other venues that the article highlights as well.

I'll respond to you in a bit CY but you have got to see that you're not talking about the OP article and its criticism of Harris/Hitchens/Dawkins but your own views so we're speaking past each other. I'm criticizing their bullshit arguments in specific while you seem to agree with that but are defending their general approach as you have a similar one. Am I wrong in that?
Well, I've tried to address some of the specific criticisms of HHD's views (by the article and you) by expressing general points, but I think that might have gotten lost in my rambling wall of text. But yeah, I'm defending their general approach (which is what the article really seems to slam, and where I take issue with it) rather than all of their individual statements (which the article uses as evidence to slam their general approach).

Honestly, it's hard to answer a question like "is fundamentalist Islam is a modern phenomenon?" without being a bit long-winded! But if you'd like to narrow down any particular point and maybe focus on that, it might make the discussion easier.

The Technomancer

You should read Iztli's post about this.

Harris is saying that if certain groups acquire long range nuclear weapons, it is an imminent threat, due to their ideology.
I read it already. It's bunk. Its the exact same Cold War reasoning that Harris claims to be above, that "if we don't do it first, they will". Oh but this time its different because this enemy that we're at odds with through a veil of paranoia and propoganda will actually do it. Because the guys advocating we bomb Russia didn't really believe the commies would bomb us or something

cackhyena

In the absence of an imminent threat? What other reason can there be except for death and desruction of "the enemy" for its own sake?
And Imminent threat means what to you, exactly? Comments like this always have me feeling like some hawkish asshole in defense of the harsher things I'd rather not think about to protect a nation, even though in reality, I'm probably more on your side than you know regarding these matters for the most part. When you counter with something like "in the absence of an imminent threat", it feels as black and white as the idea of a preemptive strike "just to kill". The nuance and details are lost in statement like that.

As if Harris, Dawkins, or Hitchens really are monsters or something. C'mon.

I read it already. It's bunk. Its the exact same Cold War reasoning that Harris claims to be above, that "if we don't do it first, they will". Oh but this time its different because this enemy that we're at odds with through a veil of paranoia and propoganda will actually do it. Because the guys advocating we bomb Russia didn't really believe the commies would bomb us or something

I think that the specific groups he mentions (Al Qaeda, ISIS/ISIL) are much more likely to actually use a nuclear weapon than Cold War USSR.

Azih

Everyone in history were dicks or benevolent to varying degrees. I believe this behaviour was (and is) modified by different ideologies. This should be obvious--if you don't agree, you are basically arguing that people's beliefs have no impact on their actions.
What I'm saying is that
There is really no idealogy that can be simplified as much as you're doing to Islam.

Christianity as a whole *should* be incredibly pacifist in some views of the faith. A lot of Christians are, A lot of them aren't. You can cherry pick examples to go any way you wish both in the present and especially throughout history. It would be a whole lot better to treat every example of Christian politics on its own merits rather than trying to lump it all together wouldn't it? Otherwise you're making a judgement on who the 'true Christians' are, the Crusaders or the pacifists of the early church. It's a hopeless and pointless subjective task which bears no fruit.

Or take a look at how differently Tibetan Buddhists act as compared to Sri-Lankan Buddhists, or hell, as you alluded to, how Buddhism was used to justify Japanese aggression and suicide bombing in the second world war. Do you really need to ask the real Buddhism to please stand up? Just treat the current Sinhalese version that allows oppression of Tamils separately from the current Tibetan version that discourages any sort of violent resistance to Chinese colonialism from the Second World War Zen version that acted as handmaiden to the territorial lusts of Imperial Japan. The contexts in which all of these operate is incredibly different and should be treated as such.

I really have no idea why you're resisting a request for precision here. The Islam of the Al-Qaeda/ISIS types is obviously not the Islam of Iran or (most tellingly) the Islam of the orthodox Sunni schools. Why not deal with them as we should, as not the same, rather than lumping it all under the almost uselessly generic label of 'Islam'.

Ok. If you want to say that Islam (or whatever sub-category of Islam you want to talk about)
I think here is where we start talking about different things. I'm very much asking for sub-categories of Islam. Once people start talking about 'Islam' in the general it really stops making any rational sense to me. Even a little bit of willingness to acknowledge the diversity of a faith that has 1.5 billion adherents and a history of 1.5 millenia goes a long way. You're certainly willing to deal with it to some degree at least. Harris/Hitches/Dawkins don't seem to give a damn.

If you want to speak about the kind of Islam that Al-Qaeda a-likes believe in and how it differs, or not, from the faith of other muslims then I'm more than willing to delve into it. When you start insisting on finding some sort of Unified Theory that lumps ISIS in with the general religious intolerance of the middle and late era Golden Horde then that just is way too much of a stretch for me to consider. I don't see any reason not to treat them separately across the centuries, traditions, languages, cultures, and geography that separate them rather than try to find some underlying Islamic 'thing' that Explains It All.

I'm not saying to never talk about Islam at all. I'm saying that for the extreme scope and range that you're bringing up you need to start speaking about specific versions of the faith and not just Islam in the generic.

I'm not saying that we should attribute everything to human nature. I'm saying that human nature should always be considered in all these discussions as that is the true common factor in all of this. Not Islam.

Did Stalinism's influence in the Soviet Union have as bad an influence as Buddhism's influence in WW2 Japan?
Stalinism being a modified, perhaps corrupted, offshoot of Marxism of course. And Japanese World War II era Buddhims being very different from the current Tibetan Dalai Llama version. Again there is very little value in going straight to the generic basic level rather than dealing with each different version separately.

That said, the more history I read, the worse an impression I have of Islam's influence, and the less unreasonable Harris' view that Islam (or again, some types of Islam)
In almost every one of these threads it's just that simple little qualifier that's missing. 'Some types of'. It makes a ridiculous amount of difference.

Edit: And of course you're talking about 'fundamentalist Islam' while I'm not because I honestly don't even know what it means any more. I'm glad that you use the term though (though inconsistently). Harris/Hitchens/Dawkins don't even bother to make that much of a distinction.

The Technomancer

I think that the specific groups he mentions (Al Qaeda, ISIS/ISIL) are much more likely to actually use a nuclear weapon than Cold War USSR.

Harris talks about an "Islamist regime" in general getting a nuclear weapon, not a terrorist group. In fact using our own nuclear campaign to try and prevent a bombing from Al Qaeda would be ludicrous considering the size of the region we would have to burn and their decentralized structure. Harris' scenario in which we don't know where the bomb is but do know where the power is concentrated so that a pre-emptive strike is effective is only plausible against a foreign government. As for ISIS? When they actually show signs of really doing anything to harm America and not just making videos, let me know

This isn't to say we shouldn't be concerned with the acquisition of nuclear weapons. Of course we should! We should be, and are, concerned with the acquisition of nuclear weapons by anybody

Well, there are a lot of influential atheists and antitheists and communities.. who aren't very nice.

I don't think that atheism makes you a nice person.
I've heard people who are fans of thunderf00t say things like that atheism and men's rights activism are the same thing. Because "they're both the logical truth" and that "men and atheists are both oppressed groups".

.... that's ... that's not true. Being an atheist does make mean you'll be discriminated against in some places, like many places in America. But that doesn't mean you're oppressed for being white and male like some atheists seem to believe, too...

Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you can't be a racist or sexist, or transphobic. I'm a fan of Zinnia Jones. And she went through a lot of transphobia from other atheists..

I don't know if there's a movement... but it does seem like some really mean atheists are really influential.. and I think spread racism and sexism and transphobia and other things like that is sad.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think the author of the piece is being unfairly mendacious. First, the article focuses on Hitchens and Harris to the exclusion of almost everyone else (no mention at all of Dennett, Pinker, etc). Those two no more represent atheism than any other public luminary. They're just more popular. Second, the author does a disservice by misrepresenting their writing on a few occasions. In Letter to a Christian Nation, for instance, Harris was not expressing solidarity with Europe's far right parties, but lamenting the timidity and timorousness of mainstream politicians. Here's the context in full: "Political correctness and the fear of racism have made many Europeans reluctant to oppose the terrifying religious commitments of the extremists in their midst. With a few exceptions, the only public figures who have had the courage to speak honestly about the threat that Islam now poses to European society seem to be fascists. This does not bode well for the future of civilization." The last sentence makes it evident. Harris is saying it's a bad thing that only fascists seem to grasp the problem of radical Islamism. Harris is not a neo-imperialist. Unlike Hitchens, I don't believe he ever advocated for the Iraq War or any other kind of military adventurism, even if I think sometimes he goes too far.

Azih

Well that's a mighty ignorant statement.

Are you speaking about me or Harris?

There's more than enough quotes to back up what I'm saying

Harris said:
With a few exceptions, the only public figures who have had the courage to speak honestly about the threat that Islam now poses to European societies seem to be fascists.

Note 'Islam' not 'fundamentalist Islam' or 'Islamists' or 'Radical Islamism'. Islam. In its entirety, no qualifiers.

TomRL

Banned
I agree with all three of them on religion. Hitchens was a particularly enthralling polemicist. But I know nothing about Iraq and I don't want to trust Harris or Hitchens as my only source on this issue. For example, Hitchens believes that there were WMD's in Iraq because he read a book once. Sorry, that won't cut it. Can someone help me with this? Where do I even begin on this complex issue.

Also Dawkins was for the Iraq war at first but changed his mind I believe.
Also calling it old empire is a step too far. I'm pretty sure all of the new athiests are against old empire.

Azih

Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World is probably the best place to start. The sections on what happened after the Ottoman empire collapsed. That's where the modern state of Iraq was pretty much created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom