• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

Septimus said:
...I didn't know there was a good ending before this thread. :lol

b7z1ur.jpg

Septimus said:
...I didn't know there was a good ending before this thread. :lol

The ending I got when I finished the game for the first time a couple of days ago was absolutely fantastic,
when you save all the girls
and made me incredibly confused as I remembered how many people complained about the ending around the time the game was first released.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MirageDwarf said:

Huh... suddenly this just got more interesting. Someone else mentioned possibly a gigantic boat traveling up and down the coast.

What about if Andrew Ryan built a HUGE submarine/fortress that was mobile?

Could be neat.

Danielsan

I was a bit skeptic about a sequel to Bioshock but I now have a feeling it's in good hands.
I love this type of marketing and the plot so far sounds intriguing. What would totally sell me on this game would be if you played as the kidnapped 7 year old.

adg1034

You guys know what this means? There's a new Bioshock coming out, sooner rather than later, and we're going to be finding out about it real soon. Can't wait.

Ridli said:
Thing is, that's not really Rapture's location (to the best of our knowledge). I'll admit that there is enough leeway in the original story that we may not know its exact location, but it was heavily inferred to be in the North Atlantic, near Iceland.

If you take a screenshot from
the flashback revealing that you hijacked the plane under orders
it actually tells you the coordinates: http://i39.tinypic.com/14c4i2r.jpg

That places Rapture (or at least the light house) somewhere around here:

2j1akww.jpg

Bernbaum

So no-one else immediately thought that the person/being responsible for the kidnapping of the girl, described in the newspaper, was a Big Daddy out of its suit?

Remember the different coloured lights shining out of the Big Daddy's helmet in response to it's changing emotions/behaviour? I always thought it was produced by the machine-components of the Big Daddy suit, but what if the lightsource is biotic? Take a big daddy out of it's cumbersome suit, and it's strength will make it one fast motherfucker.

I expect the living internal part of Big Daddy to be absolutely horrifying.

Also, Bioshock was made with a fancy version of the Unreal Engine 2.5. I can't imagine the developers returning to this technology and wonder if they use UE3.5 instead, and how the Bioshock universe would look in the same engine as Gears 2.

Bernbaum said:
So no-one else immediately thought that the person/being responsible for the kidnapping of the girl, described in the newspaper, was a Big Daddy out of its suit?

Remember the different coloured lights shining out of the Big Daddy's helmet in response to it's changing emotions/behaviour? I always thought it was produced by the machine-components of the Big Daddy suit, but what if the lightsource is biotic? Take a big daddy out of it's cumbersome suit, and it's strength will make it one fast motherfucker.

I expect the living internal part of Big Daddy to be absolutely horrifying.

Also, Bioshock was made with a fancy version of the Unreal Engine 2.5. I can't imagine the developers returning to this technology and wonder if they use UE3.5 instead, and how the Bioshock universe would look in the same engine as Gears 2.

Someone DID mention that earlier, but there's a problem with that: the skin and organs of the Big Daddies are grafted into the suit itself. You take off the suit, you're ripping the Big Daddy's skin and muscle off.

MirageDwarf said:
From flash file...

ncjb5s.png
So something is abducting young girls and taking them to the center of the ocean? I'm assuming every X and date is an incident where a girl was abducted. Interesting!

adg1034

Bernbaum said:

Common misconception. They were using the UE2.5 codebase, but switched to the latest version of UE3 midway through development. As released, Bioshock is a UE3 game.

Ridli

EmCeeGramr said:
If you take a screenshot from
the flashback revealing that you hijacked the plane under orders
it actually tells you the coordinates: http://i39.tinypic.com/14c4i2r.jpg

That places Rapture (or at least the light house) somewhere around here:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2j1akww.jpg

Oh I'm aware of that bit of information.

However my ret-con sense is tingling. I can imagine that it might be rewritten that
Jack simply hijacked the plan at this location, perhaps out of radar/communications range and then flew the plane elsewhere, finally ditching it closer to where Rapture actually is.

That's why I think there is a little leeway as to where the actual location of Rapture is. Mind you, based on the location of the X, I don't think that it's Rapture. But there is an exploitable loophole in the original story if they want it to be (you're welcome 2k Marin).

FrankT

Teknoman said:
:lol :lol

Bioshock 2 using Unreal 3.5 would blow EVERYONE away. That being said, how the hell did it come out of the water?

That would be great.

blindrocket said:
So something is abducting young girls and taking them to the center of the ocean? I'm assuming every X and date is an incident where a girl was abducted. Interesting!

Possibility of a sister station out there? 2nd Rapture even?

Ridli said:
Oh I'm aware of that bit of information.

However my ret-con sense is tingling. I can imagine that it might be rewritten that
Jack simply hijacked the plan at this location, perhaps out of radar/communications range and then flew the plane elsewhere, finally ditching it closer to where Rapture actually is.

That's why I think there is a little leeway as to where the actual location of Rapture is. Mind you, based on the location of the X, I don't think that it's Rapture. But there is an exploitable loophole in the original story if they want it to be (you're welcome 2k Marin).

Are you sure he highjacked the plane? I always thought he just triggered the explosvie when he read the note.

Lakitu

st5fu
If they did do Rapture again this time, it'll be interesting to see how it works. It might end up being too similar to the first in terms of environments. Let's hope not. But I guess, nothing works other than Rapture - it'll just be interesting to see how they tackle that.

Bernbaum

adg1034 said:
Common misconception. They were using the UE2.5 codebase, but switched to the latest version of UE3 midway through development. As released, Bioshock is a UE3 game.

Yeah? I thought it was the other way around, with the common misconception that it was UE3, but actually just UE2.5 but with some of the features of UE3?

It doesn't matter of course, the game will be awesome. It's the art direction and not the technology that made the original so memorable.

I would very much like to play this video game.

And I hope they include another badass figurine with the SE. The Big Daddy on my desk is lonely.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
blindrocket said:

fpbae.jpg

adg1034

Bernbaum said:
Yeah? I thought it was the other way around, with the common misconception that it was UE3, but actually just UE2.5 but with some of the features of UE3?

It doesn't matter of course, the game will be awesome. It's the art direction and not the technology that made the original so memorable.

I'm finding lots of PR from Epic claiming Bioshock uses UE3, but you're right, the technology doesn't matter one bit.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Less tech talk and more wild speculation and posting of maps please. *takes off pants*

Ridli

bdizzle said:
i need to beat bioshock 1 loved the game just never got around to beating it. ill get it when its 20 on the ps3.

It's getting close. I saw it for 30 on PS3 the other day in Best Buy. I'm just about ready to double dip.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Bioshock 2 is less shootery and more RPGery.

Also, is there a line of Bioshock books?
I enjoy the occasional Halo book as a quick guilty pleasure read, but I could see Bioshock novels actually being good.

Red

BakedPigeon said:
Are you sure he highjacked the plane? I always thought he just triggered the explosvie when he read the note.
Explosive? There was a gun in the box.

EdgeTurn

Ridli said:
Thing is, that's not really Rapture's location (to the best of our knowledge). I'll admit that there is enough leeway in the original story that we may not know its exact location, but it was heavily inferred to be in the North Atlantic, near Iceland.

If I recall, the note says that those coordinates are the point at which Jack is supposed to open his present (containing a gun) and hijack the plane, not the location of Rapture itself.

Red

I'm going with the Big Daddy out-of-suit idea. Maybe not really out of a suit, but somehow damaged or mangled so that the suit has been reduced or altered. The doll on the website basically looks like a really beat-up Big Daddy.

Or maybe a Big Mommy which is meant to gather little sisters? Like the nurturing version of the protective Big Daddy?

I don't know, but this is an interesting way to take the series.

The game must be nearing the final stages of development if they're already doing real-world viral marketing.

Miragedwarf, thanks, but I think you should link that pic rather than post it in-line because it's sort of a spoiler for those of us who want to follow the site as they update it.

theBishop said:
The sounds on the radio (faint but I hear them) sound like buoys in the water. I'm also wondering if the static chatter is the distress signal from the first plane going down along with the switching between different operators.

That makes some sense, but not a lot to go on.

Either way--- The kidnappers of the child sound to me like it's the Little Sisters taking them. I remember their haunting glowing red eyes and to me that is the only logical sense behind that.

Moving from the Good Ending or Bad? I don't think the Little Sisters would do that, let alone have the capacity.

I'm going to guess that Rapture has a Site B of which something in the little girls genetics was activated and Site B is being repopulated..... 7 years later. I'm also going to guess that Ryan and Fontaine were just pawns in the scheme of Rapture.... and that there is a board of directors (of sorts) where Rapture was in part of a larger experiment with gene splicing. I would expect the organic nature of Bioshock 2 to kick up the genetics a new level beyond normal genetic enhancements.

They'd have to do a lot of post-hoc storytelling to justify most of this, which sucks. Remember, Ryan built Rapture. It's possible he had unknown help, but I don't think his intention was to build an empire. Also, they didn't know about ADAM until well into Rapture's life. Even Ryan didn't know or care about it until it became a major conflict.

- True... I think it isn't much but something at least.... could be way off though.

- I think either or ending.
The same way Fontaine took control of you when you were about to die... so too I think the Little Sisters had a gene in them that is sort of a backdoor to bring under control "IF" anything were to happen to them as far as them getting out of hand. What that looks like--- who knows... but as far as the the red light coming from the head bit it seems to me that they are the ones taking the children (again... under some form of control) to re-animate Rapture (because remember--- 7 years later... the Little sisters we saw... aren't so little any more.... and they will need them to crawl through the ducts and such).

You do however bring up a good point though about the Dr. and whether or not she is alive or not. If she is... she has to be forced into making more Little Sisters for whatever purposes someone has for Rapture.

The more I think about it though--- and after seeing that map---- Re-constructing Rapture makes sense.... and I almost wonder if it's going to be a whole Alice in Wonderland bit where you revisit parts of rapture that are COMPLETELY different but look vaguely familiar based on the previous play through. It would seem as well that if my theory on someone else being behind Ryan is true.... then their vested interest in re-constructing Rapture to further push technology and gene splicing would make sense.

Red

I don't know about someone else pushing Ryan to build Rapture, but I suppose there were other people involved. It had to get financed somehow, after all.

I wonder how those Big Daddies are holding up after seven years. What do they eat? I remember seeing a Big Daddy with a red light in Bioshock as terrifying- it meant you were about to get your ass kicked. But the one in that news article simply runs away. Have their tactics or motivations changed?

Bernbaum

Tenenbaum may have an expanded role in the sequel.

Each of the main characters had their own moral complications, i.e, Ryan building Rapture and creating his idea of an objectivist utopia, but ultimately corrupting the humanity of himself and others. Fontaine tells the player that Tenenbaum may appear altruistic, but has her own dark side. We even hear it Tenenbaum's own words, that she doesn't care for Ryan or Fontaine's ideals, she's just a scientist and wants to simply learn how things work. During the late stages of the game, the player is rescued by Tenenbaum's little sisters and offered sanctuary in her quarters where she is fostering a considerable number of little sisters. The little sisters have all been relieved of their Adam-hunting afflictions, but what if there is a more sinister purpose for Tenenbaum harbouring so many of the girls?

We never learn what happened to Tenenbaum after Jack, the protagonist, defeats Fontaine. Jack was assisted by the little sisters, presumably sent by Tenenbaum.

Bernbaum's crazy unsubstantiated Bioshock 2 hypothesis #1: Tenenbaum is active in Rapture, seven years after the events of the first Bioshock, and is retrieving either a)adam-naive young girls or b)rehabilitated little sisters for some malicious purpose.

We don't know whether the girl(s) being captured by the quasi-Big Daddy are rescued little sisters from Rapture, or whether they are just normal young girls. I finished Bioshock for the third time very recently, but I didn't pick up clearly why it was only little girls which were designated as responsible for the collection of Adam. Maybe there is some intrinsic quality to young human females that the person hunting them is after.

Red

Bernbaum said:
We don't know whether the girl(s) being captured by the quasi-Big Daddy are rescued little sisters from Rapture, or whether they are just normal young girls. I finished Bioshock for the third time very recently, but I didn't pick up clearly why it was only little girls which were designated as responsible for the collection of Adam. Maybe there is some intrinsic quality to young human females that the person hunting them is after.
Yes we do.

The events on the site are taking place in 1967. Bioshock takes place in 1960. The kidnapped girl is seven years old. She likely wasn't from Rapture. Whether or not there's some other connection is still up in the air.

Johann

EmCeeGramr said:
Someone DID mention that earlier, but there's a problem with that: the skin and organs of the Big Daddies are grafted into the suit itself. You take off the suit, you're ripping the Big Daddy's skin and muscle off.

Hmm... let's have a looksie:

...it can't be that bad...I'm sure it's full of kittens or hot dogs...

AHHHHH! Kill it with incinerate!

Ridli

robut said:
Has anyone looked at that X in the middle of the map and seen if that points to anything? Bermuda Triangle?

You can't see Bermuda on that map, but the triangle doesn't extend much further east than Puerto Rico, and that X is way too far into the middle of the Atlantic to be in the triangle.

Bernbaum

Crunched said:
Yes we do.

The events on the site are taking place in 1967. Bioshock takes place in 1960. The kidnapped girl is seven years old. She likely wasn't from Rapture. Whether or not there's some other connection is still up in the air.

Okay. I wonder if there is anything to be made of the coincidence between the girls age, and the seven years passing since the events of Bioshock.

Perhaps Jack is complicit, given that he was the only citizen of Rapture to return to the surface (only to return in 1960), and that when absent, he was still under the command of others. Complete speculation I know, but maybe...

ruxtpin

Banned
Mifune said:
I share your concern but then I remember that one of the guys behind Fort Frolic is directing this time around, and all fears go away.

That teaser site makes me all tingly, too.

Fort Frolic was fan-freakin'-tastic. The whole deal - the way the level started. If that's the case and the guy can have that "magical" touch over all of the levels in Bioshock 2 ...

oh man, I just peed my pants a little.

Top Bottom