• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Fireblend

Banned
Played Lords of Waterdeep, Takenoko, Masquerade, Tokaido and Dead of Winter today. Enjoyed all of them (it was my first time playing Lords of Waterdeep and Masquerade, loved both), but above all reaffirmed how much I enjoy Dead of Winter. It was a tense game all the way through and we won with 1 round left on the round track, and even completed all of our secret objectives (there was no betrayer). The game works so damn well.

Masquerade was another positive surprise. I love coup and masquerade is pretty similar so I might end up getting it eventually.

EYEL1NER

Betrayal at House on the Hill was pretty fun. I was having a side-conversation with another player about game nights at the store and collecting money to buy community games and happened to miss most of the rules. I think they were explaining a lot of it prior to my arrival too. I got the hang of it but initiated a haunt pretty quickly, on what may have been my second turn (if I remember correctly). A poltergeist was spawned with me as the traitor working with the ghost against the other explorers. I managed to score a ton of items as the poltergeist pretty quickly to boost my might and killed off two explorers fast. A third explorer went down but at that point the explorers had enough candles to win. Or so they though, actually. The person with the highest sanity and knowledge had been given all of the candles and he thought that he only had to get to the Junk Room and make a roll to light them. He didn't realize that he needed to roll to light each candle on separate turns and upon failing, the candle is destroyed/lost. Using the poltergeist and my player character I was able to attack the other two people and cause some candles to drop. We ended up having to pack it up at the two-hour mark when the store started closing but they didn't have enough candles and had to look for more, I had done quite a bit of physical damage to them getting them close to death, and my poltergeist had 8 might to hit with. We agreed that I was in the best position to win.
I've owned the game since 2014 and am glad that I finally learned how to play it. I am eager to play it one of these nights with my family, especially on Halloween. One of my only complaints with my (admittedly) limited experience with the game is that the skill clips for the player boards are too loose and too short to point specifically at your numbers and get moved around easily.

I'm pumped about next week. The two games for next Tuesday are Alien Frontiers and Ticket to Ride. Some people wanted to play TtR badly so I said I could bring my copy. Most of the regulars want to play TtR though, so I'm not sure who'll play Alien Frontiers with me. I'm super-excited to play Alien Frontiers again though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dang...f miniature market (not really) and their east-coast friendly west-coast terrible sales update times. :/ It's freaking 8 o'clock here and seems like 90% of their decent sale items are already OOS.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Was going to get ghost stories from MM sale. Sold out. Fml

I ultimately picked up Five Tribes and Dice City (already on clearance) and then padded the rest of my order with stuff I had on a pending CSI order (Eldritch expansions). But yeah people were quick on that one. The annoying thing is I last checked it at like 2 AM pacific and it wasn't up yet. Probably put it up at 8 eastern or whatever. Ah well, probably saved me buying a couple cheap games I maybe shouldn't have. :p

KiKaL

Was going to get ghost stories from MM sale. Sold out. Fml

I was looking at getting that too. I talked myself out of it but probably going to regret since I have been wanting it for a while now. I seem to do that a lot now. I feel like I have games I want to play and don't have enough time to play so adding another game just means less of a chance of playing some of the games I have. I don't even have a big collection but guess it's good for the wallet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was looking at getting that too. I talked myself out of it but probably going to regret since I have been wanting it for a while now. I seem to do that a lot now. I feel like I have games I want to play and don't have enough time to play so adding another game just means less of a chance of playing some of the games I have. I don't even have a big collection but guess it's good for the wallet.

I know there are some people ITT that hate Ghost Stories but it's absolutely my favorite co-op and probably one of my top ten board games period. Thing is you should really only get it if you regularly have exactly four to play it.

joelseph

I was going to pad my Five Tribes purchase but then got nervous when the next item I clicked on was OOS so I ponied up for the smart-post. Still 5 bucks cheaper than Prime.

ultron87

Really need to have a board game night this weekend. Just got my copy of Paperback in the mail and I also need to play more Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space which I got at Origins.

Gurrry

thinking about getting game of thrones card game 2nd edition

however, i was curious if I need any expansions to make the game more enjoyable? when i goto my local store, I always see these cool looking resin molds of each house and have always wondered what those were. are those for the 2nd edition? what do they do? ive also seen people talking about "chapter packs", but I think that is for the 1st edition only, no?

I also see that there is a new boxed expansion for stark characters. Does anyone recommend I grab both of those at once? Or get the expansion later on down the line?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

however, i was curious if I need any expansions to make the game more enjoyable? when i goto my local store, I always see these cool looking resin molds of each house and have always wondered what those were. are those for the 2nd edition? what do they do? ive also seen people talking about "chapter packs", but I think that is for the 1st edition only, no?

I also see that there is a new boxed expansion for stark characters. Does anyone recommend I grab both of those at once? Or get the expansion later on down the line?

I only know Netrunner, but perhaps this is a good resource: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1411356/new-player-faq

Neverfade

I own and play a bit of GOT 2nd. Don't know what resin molds would do. Sound like some cosmetic thing. I don't use anything like that. Chapter packs are monthly non-random expansions.

Also depending how serious you want to get with it, I'd recommend 2 core sets before expanding.

Gurrry

Thanks for the tips!

I was checking some deck lists and it looks like people run 3 copies of one card alot. Will the base game give me enough to do that?

Thanks for the tips!

I was checking some deck lists and it looks like people run 3 copies of one card alot. Will the base game give me enough to do that?
Unfortunately, no. Most unique (maybe all of them) characters are one-ofs. Two cores would be enough to make tournament legal decks with some consistency. Three would probably be better, but if you are playing casually two is fine. I only have the base set plus the first chapter pack, but the big Stark set looks worth it if you want to play Starks.

The game is a lot of fun and I really like the four player Kingslayer variant, and probably my favorite way to play.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone have any experience with Archipelago?
Some people played it at the long game night recently, but I wasn't at that table. I walked by and heard there was a "cow nation", and the "migrants" apparently won, but that's all I know.

I played my first two Scythe games tonight, both 2-player. It took longer than expected even though I was trying to do the quick teach / dive-in method, and we messed up a few rules while learning. For example, you have to remember that encounter card bonuses go on the encounter location, NOT to a worker tile like most new resources. This can be especially important if you get a building from an encounter card.

I won both games so hopefully that doesn't discourage my opponent too much. The second game was much closer than the first, and I only won because of a lucky factory takeover gamble.

Keasar

I keep eyeing the Massive Darkness Kickstarter but back off whenever I remember I've heard that CMON games are mostly flair over substance. I did back the Xenoshyft Dreadmire kickstarter because Tom Vasel thought that the original game was pretty great but had some balance issues (which they seemed to have focused on fixing in Dreadmire) but that's about all my experience of them.

Lupercal

Banned
I keep eyeing the Massive Darkness Kickstarter but back off whenever I remember I've heard that CMON games are mostly flair over substance. I did back the Xenoshyft Dreadmire kickstarter because Tom Vasel thought that the original game was pretty great but had some balance issues (which they seemed to have focused on fixing in Dreadmire) but that's about all my experience of them.

The quality will be great but gameplay wise it can fall a bit flat.
I've been watching it as well but I know I'll play it once or twice and have an army of miniatures just laying around after that.

Blizzard

Banned
I just realized after 2 Scythes plays that I had a MASSIVE oversight: The enlist bonus triggers not just for neighbors (or your 2-player opponent), but also when you take the bottom row action. That makes enlist so much better.

KiKaL

I know there are some people ITT that hate Ghost Stories but it's absolutely my favorite co-op and probably one of my top ten board games period. Thing is you should really only get it if you regularly have exactly four to play it.

So do you not recommend it then for 2? I would probably mostly just be playing it with my wife.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So do you not recommend it then for 2? I would probably mostly just be playing it with my wife.

I played a lot of it solo or with 2. You just control multiple monks. Definitely fun with any number of players, but brutally challenging on all fronts. There's an app on iOS last I checked. May download and try that before investing in the game?

fwpx

I'm trying to branch out and get some fun games that family (Wife, Brother and Sister in Law, Inlaws) may enjoy, here's what I've tried so far:

Catan - Huge hit, still played when we can with brother and sister in law.
Ticket to Ride - Another hit, though not nearly as much as Catan. We havent played it in a while, but we enjoy it.
Pandemic - I REALLY enjoyed it, but I appeared to be the only one. Not sure why, perhaps the slightly more complicated systems?
Avalon - This game is definitely a hit, but I think it only really works with a large group, and when alcohol has been consumed, so it's not so intense.

Can anyone recommend something new to try? We're all going on vacation in 3 weeks, and I've love to have some fresh ideas for after the little ones go down for the night.

Thanks!

I'm thinking reasonably light based on that. So:

Sheriff of Nottingham - Bluffing social game
Stone Age - light worker placement
Pandemic the cure - A bit simpler and quicker than pandemic, with lots of dice chucking
Coup - Similar in style to Avalon, but works with fewer people and less alcohol
Spyfall - May need more alcohol, but a very easy to play social deduction game.

Not sure what your player count needs to be, but there are some options covered there.

Fwpx these are a couple of my favorites:

Forbidden Island: Co-op game from the creator of Pandemic. Great components and much simpler than Pandemic.

Tsuro of the Seas: Fun simple tile placement game. Beautiful components!

Fireblend

Banned
Maybe check out Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert, which are sort of Pandemic-lite. Island plays up to 4 and Desert 5. They're definitely less intimidating than Pandemic while still being cooperative so your family may like them and be likelier to want to play Pandemic in the future :p

I'll recommend Coup as well, plays super well with 4 people onwards. Might also want to check out Mascarade, which is similar to Coup but doesn't feature player elimination like Coup does, comes with more roles and focuses a bit more on the bluffing. I don't know how that plays with low numbers though.

Takenoko is also a super friendly and light, it's not long (~45 mins) and the art/components are super nice to look at. Tokaido would also fit that description. Takenoko is for 4 players and I think Tokaido is 5 or 6, not sure. If you want something like Catan I'd recommend Lords of Waterdeep. It's super easy to play and it's different enough from Catan to justify having both. Also, if you're looking for games that play quickly, check out Codenames or Sushi Go!

Karkador

Banned
I'm thinking they want something that's less of a "board game" with a lot of moving parts and more of an interactive game with negotiation and luck working in your favor.

We mentioned it maybe a couple pages back, but maybe No Thanks? Sheriff of Nottingham? Bohnanza?

I'm trying to branch out and get some fun games that family (Wife, Brother and Sister in Law, Inlaws) may enjoy, here's what I've tried so far:

Ticket to Ride - Another hit, though not nearly as much as Catan. We havent played it in a while, but we enjoy it.
Pandemic - I REALLY enjoyed it, but I appeared to be the only one. Not sure why, perhaps the slightly more complicated systems?
Avalon - This game is definitely a hit, but I think it only really works with a large group, and when alcohol has been consumed, so it's not so intense.

Can anyone recommend something new to try? We're all going on vacation in 3 weeks, and I've love to have some fresh ideas for after the little ones go down for the night.

Thanks!

Codenames
Hanabi
World's Fair 1893

Blizzard

Banned

Thanks!
Batman Love Letter is really simple and fast. You might be able to find it in a local Barnes & Noble, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It depends how much cognitive load you guys are willing to handle. I find Ghost Stories to have a good challenge with four minds collaborating so I'm not too keen on playing it with two myself. There are actually rules specifically for 1-3 but they're not worth it imo so if you did play with two I'd say do two characters each but that's where the cognitive load comes in (also personally I just find it less thematic when you have to play multiple characters in any game).

joelseph

Thanks!

I have found gateway gamers tend to react more positively to themes grounded in reality. Fantasy and scifi themes are hard sells to people being led into gaming.

That being said, I strongly recommend For Sale.

Plays 3-6 in 10-20 minutes. Buying and selling homes for profit is something everyone can understand. The best mark of a good gateway game is you have new gamers reaching for Amazon on their phones by the end of the night and For Sale will do this.

ultron87

What's the escape from aliens game about?

Old hidden movement reprint if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, it's hidden movement like Letters from White Chapel or Spectre Ops, but everyone is doing hidden movement with their own maps in notebooks. And it has a hidden team thing because half the players are humans and half are aliens but those alignments are passed out secretly so at the start no one knows what anyone else is. Aliens need to eat the humans by revealing their position and attacking a space. Lot of trying to mask your movements and be sneaky despite spaces that might force you to reveal where you are and other considerations.

I like it because it lets everyone playing get both halves of the fun of a hidden movement game: moving yourself secretly and trying to track other players. Also it's like 30 minutes per game and comes with a bunch of maps.

Experien

Yeah, it's hidden movement like Letters from White Chapel or Spectre Ops, but everyone is doing hidden movement with their own maps in notebooks. And it has a hidden team thing because half the players are humans and half are aliens but those alignments are passed out secretly so at the start no one knows what anyone else is. Aliens need to eat the humans by revealing their position and attacking a space. Lot of trying to mask your movements and be sneaky despite spaces that might force you to reveal where you are and other considerations.

I like it because it lets everyone playing get both halves of the fun of a hidden movement game: moving yourself secretly and trying to track other players. Also it's like 30 minutes per game and comes with a bunch of maps.

30 minutes? How many players?

First time playing, had about 7 people and took a good hour.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Since we're doing nice impressions, played a ton of games this past week since we had a four-day weekend. Probably the most I've ever played in a week short of BGG.Con. I think I've determined that my two favorite gaming subgenres are classic gateways and kludgy Lovecraftian adventures. :p Opposite ends of the spectrum but I'd be pretty good just playing games within one of those two categories for the most part.

Bang! The Dice Game: Have sung this game's praises before but it's really excellent. Fantastic work-lunch or 6-8p casual group game. It's the least "social deductiony/hidden role" of any game that could be called either one of those -- which to some may be a negative but to me is a big plus. Also very streamlined. There is player elimination but the games rarely go over 30m (and no one gets eliminated in the first 20m for the most part anyway, short of some crazy all-in on the sheriff in which case the game's over anyway). Consider trying this game even if you don't like Bang! or hidden-role games.

Eldritch Horror: Played a couple times -- 1 loss, 1 win. Really quite good difficulty balance on this one. It feels less claustrophobic and slightly less thematic than Arkham, but is also more of an adventure flair and a good deal less fiddly. Getting the expansions in which I'm really excited for since we can fill out our adventure decks. I've heard some people say if you don't like Arkham try this out, but I'm not so sure. They're different games but they really address a very similar niche (unlike Elder Sign aka Arkham Yahtzee).

Coconuts: Played this with friends, but speaking of great kids dexterity games! Fling "coconuts" (poop) at cups. Simple but excellent, like any good dexterity game (it's funny how slightly heavier dexterity games like Dungeon Fighter and Flick 'Em Up usually miss the mark for me). My daughter has definitely enjoyed this (and beaten me) in the past.

Can't Stop: Another good work-lunch game (though it only goes up to 4 iirc, so for a smaller group, especially if you can incorporate some type of betting to make the push-your-luck rolling even more exciting.

CV: Quite liked the goofy art and theme (building up your resume/living your life) on this one. I did find it just a touch fiddly though for what feels like a LW game to me in terms of keeping track of all your active effects.

Love Letter: It's Love Letter! I kind of forget sometimes how if you play by the English rules (first to four) the game kind of drags on because it's easy to gang up on the leader.

Roll through the Ages: One of the original Yahtzee-style eurogames. If you're looking for a "light civbuilder" I don't think you can do much better than this one, as long as the theme doesn't bore you too much.

Elder Sign: Back to Arkham we go! We play with Streets of Arkham mode now as we find the base game (even with Unseen Forces) generally too easy, and it's quite hard now. If you liked ES but gave up on it for being too easy, I'd highly recommend Gates of Arkham. Takes away the easy buys and now you in most cases have to commit to an adventure without knowing specifically what it is. Really good balance now.

Bling Bling Gemstone: Like Tok-Tok Woodman just a game where you tap a tree to knock off little parts but not big ones. :p My four-year-old destroyed me at it.

Burgle Bros.: I really like the mechanics of this one, especially the random surprises despite the fact that at its core it's a very dry and fairly intense puzzler. We messed up though because the person teaching us thought you had only three times to get caught (instead of four) so both games felt almost Arkhamy hopeless by the end. Really want to do it again though with the right rules especially since 4p seems quite tough but doable which I love in a co-op.

Castle Knights: Good kids co-op dexterity game (4+ though because you do need some strength and coordination to use the tool to pick up the blocks). Played with the timer it's actually quite challenging and intense.

Dominion: Haven't played the tabletop in 3+ years but the app got me back into it and we really enjoyed our 3p go at it, especially since we were all pretty similar experience levels (i.e., know the rules and gameflow well, but not experts).

Carcassonne & Carcassonne Gold Rush: Like Ticket to Ride, but even a little better, Carcassonne just never gets old for me. We played a 4p with new players and Inns & Cathedrals, and later a 3p with the Gold Rush standalone. Both were good, but Gold Rush was surprisingly fun and definitely a meaningful twist on the Carcassonne mechanics. I've played South Seas and Winter (latter being more a reskin) and I think Gold Rush is by far my favorite even though I like South Seas too.

San Juan: Played a couple games of this. Again a game that ages really well, especially with a group playing at a similar experience level. Scratches that Race for the Galaxy/tableau-building itch without a big investment of rules-teaching or game time.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: Been playing the app (which is amazing) so dusted off the tabletop as well. It wasn't super great because I picked Baron Blade, the easiest villain, so it was a pretty vanilla experience, and this group is used to playing harder co-ops like Aliens Legendary, so that was my bad. I do want to give it another go though because the app has made me realize this is a really clever and thematic design.

Alhambra: I only play this game once a year or so but I'm never disappointed. BGG is right that it's absolutely one of the best 3p experiences out there. If you look at it it looks like a fairly boring euro, but it blends together so many different elements so well and in a way that's never been properly imitated. Tile placement, hand management, just a lot of really tough but simple and fun decisions.

hank_tree

Tempted to get in on the new Millennium Blades KS, but one thing I'm worried about is is it the kind of game where if you've played it twice and someone else is new they basically have zero chance to compete?

The game includes some " Legendary Accesory" cards which you can give to a new player as a boost if needed. Also one of the characters abilities us basically useless so you could take that character to handicap yourself aswell.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Now that Massive Darkness KS has ended and late pledges are available, anyone jumping on? I'm on the fence...I wouldn't get any of the add-ons because they'll go retail (and why pay KS markup?), but the base game with the exclusives, maybe. I watched some of the video, but I'm wondering if anyone who has been following this could comment on if they think it's shallow or if it's got legs.

JavyOO7

Burgle Bros., is indeed great, bought it as a present for my buddy on their birthday. Like the mechanics with the guard roaming about, and each floor the guard is moving faster. The characters are neat too, like the girl who can peek the tile that is across the wall or the guy who doesn't trip any of the alarms... its all great.

Nice little simple game and I'm definitely jumping in for his next game on kickstarter (fugitive). Might get Paperback too as a part of that.

Blizzard

Banned
Love Letter: It's Love Letter! I kind of forget sometimes how if you play by the English rules (first to four) the game kind of drags on because it's easy to gang up on the leader.
Have you played the Batman version, or by the Batman rules? You play to 7 points, but you get a point every time you win OR guess someone using Batman.

AstroLad said:
Elder Sign: Back to Arkham we go! We play with Streets of Arkham mode now as we find the base game (even with Unseen Forces) generally too easy, and it's quite hard now. If you liked ES but gave up on it for being too easy, I'd highly recommend Gates of Arkham. Takes away the easy buys and now you in most cases have to commit to an adventure without knowing specifically what it is. Really good balance now.
What's funny is that even with the base game, I'm not sure if I've won Elder Sign. I got my dice locked up and too many monsters stacked and get crushed.

AstroLad said:
Burgle Bros.: I really like the mechanics of this one, especially the random surprises despite the fact that at its core it's a very dry and fairly intense puzzler. We messed up though because the person teaching us thought you had only three times to get caught (instead of four) so both games felt almost Arkhamy hopeless by the end. Really want to do it again though with the right rules especially since 4p seems quite tough but doable which I love in a co-op.
Yeah the "running naked" state can be easily missed. We also messed up because we started leaving before unlocking the final safe, and it turns out all safes should be unlocked first.

Burgle Bros., is indeed great, bought it as a present for my buddy on their birthday. Like the mechanics with the guard roaming about, and each floor the guard is moving faster. The characters are neat too, like the girl who can peek the tile that is across the wall or the guy who doesn't trip any of the alarms... its all great.

Nice little simple game and I'm definitely jumping in for his next game on kickstarter (fugitive). Might get Paperback too as a part of that.
I figured I'd skip Fugitive since it's only 2-player and I'd want another varying player count game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have you played the Batman version, or by the Batman rules? You play to 7 points, but you get a point every time you win OR guess someone using Batman.
Have not -- I'd be up for it though. Have the Letters to Santa one for the kids but don't know if it's any different.

What's funny is that even with the base game, I'm not sure if I've won Elder Sign. I got my dice locked up and too many monsters stacked and get crushed.
That can definitely happen. Elder Sign can spiral in either direction pretty easily, but in base you can usually control that really well since you get to pick where you go with full knowledge so you can pretty easily power yourself up until you're unstoppable. Also you can even buy Elder Signs from the start tile which can be a quick path to victory after a few rounds of winning adventures. Gates of Arkham removes the start tile entirely and replaces with a place where you have to spend two trophies just to heal one sanity and one health or cycle an adventure card. Also all the adventure cards come out face down with only a Green/Yellow/Red to indicate general difficulty and when you visit it you're stuck in the encounter. It's pretty tough. We've beaten only the Easy and Normal Gates AOs so far and got crushed by the Hard and Insane ones.

Yeah the "running naked" state can be easily missed. We also messed up because we started leaving before unlocking the final safe, and it turns out all safes should be unlocked first.
Yeah that's one thing about Burgle is that it's slightly fiddly with the rules for a mostly light game. You have to read FAQ to find out you can't spend actions going back and forth to avoid Events, stuff like that. Not terrible though.

EYEL1NER

That Batman Love Letter variant actually sounds like an it wresting addition to the game. I just assumed that it was the exact same game with Batman art. I know I am excited about the Archer: Once You Go Blackmail... version of Love Letter that is releasing sometime soon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How hard is bang the dice game to teach and could kids understand it or too much?

I think King of Tokyo is actually quite teachable to 5+ (even experienced 4) but Bang! is a little heavier and has the added element of hidden roles (which could actually be fun for kids but does add one more layer of strategy) so I'd say 7+.

Top Bottom