• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I noticed the renegade game app now has clank! Stuff in it. No idea what it is since I've never played it, but now I need to download it to get rid of the update notification :|

I noticed the renegade game app now has clank! Stuff in it. No idea what it is since I've never played it, but now I need to download it to get rid of the update notification :|

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know there was a renegade app.

Downloaded and checked the app. The Clank! stuff adds rules for solo play. For multiplayer, the app adds a dragon lieutenant to the dungeon. The app triggers effects once certain conditions are met. You have to manually tap the event in the app for it to trigger and display a message stating it's effects.

joelseph

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know there was a renegade app.

Downloaded and checked the app. The Clank! stuff adds rules for solo play. For multiplayer, the app adds a dragon lieutenant to the dungeon. The app triggers effects once certain conditions are met. You have to manually tap the event in the app for it to trigger and display a message stating it's effects.

Hot damn, thanks for the write up. Would have never known!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Went 2-1 at an OP Destiny tournament last night. Played Jango eBala Trooper. Lost to Vader Raider, which was both less than average rolls and me stupidly going for raider first. it was the first time I played against vader raider. We rematched during the remainder of that round and going for vader first with better rolls it wasn't even close.

anywho, tied for 4th (there was a three way tie for first). With SoS I was 6th overall. THANKFULLY they added 4 gift certificated to the prize pool (100% of buy in went back to the players). So they just had the top 8 (50%) pick the prize they wanted.

1 tokens
2 GC
3 tokens
4 kylo alt
5 GC
6 kylo art!!!!!!!!!!!
7 & 8 GC

So as you can see, I lucked out with two early GC grabs and got both the TIE FO and Kylo alt arts.

Overall a good time. My play of the night was killing Grievous in Turn 1 leaving just 1 die Dooku. My opponent was very demoralized ("well that's basically game....")

My low point was a combination of a few mistakes against my first opponent that made that game a lot closer than it should have been. I made a claim I shouldn't have and IMMEDIATELY said "wait no!" and he was like "no, you already claimed" and I was "really.............?" and it wasn't even that I forgot to use something on the field or such. it was actually a card I wanted to play so he didn't know what I was up to.. but he was losing and basically looking for every advantage he could get...

the other low point was definitely where I could have won against my first match with vader raider (the one that counted). I had to roll out my trooper. all I needed was 1 damage. I rolled, blank. he rolled, no damage. I discarded to reroll, resource. he discarded to reroll, damage. fuck. now granted the second reroll wouldn't have even helped me unless HIS reroll was no damage also.. but still.. fucking trooper... had I won I probably would have taken then tokens.. still there will likely be other resource tokens down the road.. but just this kylo alt art.. so it's all good.

Inis arrived today. The rules are very simple, but it seems so compelling. It is refreshing not having hundreds and hundreds of components to try and pack away too. The artwork is fucking incredible, especially the Epic Tale cards. Extremely nice stuff.

I'll probably go and play it with my parents tonight who are very fond of Ireland and Celtic mythology.

JSR_Cube

Inis arrived today. The rules are very simple, but it seems so compelling. It is refreshing not having hundreds and hundreds of components to try and pack away too. The artwork is fucking incredible, especially the Epic Tale cards. Extremely nice stuff.

I'll probably go and play it with my parents tonight who are very fond of Ireland and Celtic mythology.

I sleeved my cards. I love the art too.

I know there are significant differences, but can anyone recommend if I should pick up Caverna over waiting for A Feast for Odin reprint? Im really itching for a game like this.

Or maybe there are other suggestions? Thanks everyone.

I know there are significant differences, but can anyone recommend if I should pick up Caverna over waiting for A Feast for Odin reprint? Im really itching for a game like this.

Or maybe there are other suggestions? Thanks everyone.

How many people are you typically going to play with?

We usually play with 3-4.

I think A Feast for Odin is the better overall game for the time it takes to set up is fairly comparable to Caverna. However, I hesitate to play Feast for Odin with more than 3. Caverna is potentially quicker with less action spots available and plays well with 4. While not completely similar, they are both worker placement Uwe games with a lot of openness in how you play, so maybe if you are really wanting a game like a Feast for Odin and can wait for a reprint, try something like Le Havre first. It's a different feel than the other two, but it's still a great, meaty Euro that works great with 3 and well with 4.

chifanpoe

Family Size box of Frosted Cheerios for scale...Because I didn't have a banana available.

GQzCB07l.jpg

Nice! I am prepping my kids up to play this with me when it comes. I missed the KS so mine is coming in a few weeks. We have been preparing by playing Blood Rage ;)

yk5WsjZ.jpg

I think A Feast for Odin is the better overall game for the time it takes to set up is fairly comparable to Caverna. However, I hesitate to play Feast for Odin with more than 3. Caverna is potentially quicker with less action spots available and plays well with 4. While not completely similar, they are both worker placement Uwe games with a lot of openness in how you play, so maybe if you are really wanting a game like a Feast for Odin and can wait for a reprint, try something like Le Havre first. It's a different feel than the other two, but it's still a great, meaty Euro that works great with 3 and well with 4.

Sounds good. I will take a deeper look into La Havre before purchasing anything.

Thanks!

Keasar

I am very curious about Gloomhaven, looking forward to hearing impressions.

Question, is there any difference between the Kickstarter box and retail box? The Kickstarter page is very unclear on what is possibly Kickstarter exclusive.

Palmer_v1

I am very curious about Gloomhaven, looking forward to hearing impressions.

Question, is there any difference between the Kickstarter box and retail box? The Kickstarter page is very unclear on what is possibly Kickstarter exclusive.

I just got my gloomhaven in a while ago. Not sure about differences, but I know I paid a little extra to get physical minis instead of just cardboard standees.

16426300_1145269392252636_8647164098545620929_n.jpg

Edit: Random non-banana items for scale.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just got my gloomhaven in a while ago. Not sure about differences, but I know I paid a little extra to get physical minis instead of just cardboard standees.

16426300_1145269392252636_8647164098545620929_n.jpg

Edit: Random non-banana items for scale.

Congrats! I'm gonna post my storage and sorting soon. I found a cheap and easy solution today at Walmart.

EYEL1NER

It's been a bit of a wait with Miniature Market but my copy of the Portal Games edition of Robinson Crusoe is finally ready to ship. Looks like they got a decent allotment of copies from the distributor instead of getting shorted again. I need to learn it fast because if it shows up in time for next week's Wednesday game night then I am gonna take it with me.

Blizzard

Banned
It's been a bit of a wait with Miniature Market but my copy of the Portal Games edition of Robinson Crusoe is finally ready to ship. Looks like they got a decent allotment of copies from the distributor instead of getting shorted again. I need to learn it fast because if it shows up in time for next week's Wednesday game night then I am gonna take it with me.
The manual is QUITE large. I recommend reading the PDF if you're going to try.

If possible, playing it solo first and bringing it next week might result in a better experience for the group and more chances to play in the future. Learning as you play is going to be tough and boring, potentially.

*edit* Or at minimum, find a good Watch It Played.

Awesome.

The shop I use isn't getting RC until Q2.

Gurrry

Was able to snag a box of SW Destiny. It will be my 2nd one so far. Hope I get some cards to fill some holes and trade bait to build something new.

Ive even been going to tournaments for the first time in my life for this game. Its been alot of fun so far, but I really wish that 2nd set would come out to balance out the meta a bit more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Was able to snag a box of SW Destiny. It will be my 2nd one so far. Hope I get some cards to fill some holes and trade bait to build something new.

Ive even been going to tournaments for the first time in my life for this game. Its been alot of fun so far, but I really wish that 2nd set would come out to balance out the meta a bit more.

Yeah it's a lot of fun. Only wish that we actually had more tournaments by me (San Jose) but it's insane that all the players seem to be in SF/Sacramento (like a couple of the Knights of Ren guys) and very few down here unfortunately. I've actually been getting practice in on TTS which has worked out OK though it's not a replacement of course.

Are you saying you're sick of Jango decks? :p I mean Vader/Raider is still very good if you prefer a control style. Mill is not very strong right now imo but I actually don't mind that as I don't enjoy the Mill play experience where you have to just hold on to all your cards and ping them forever. But I'm fine acclimating if it ever does rise in prominence.

EYEL1NER

The manual is QUITE large. I recommend reading the PDF if you're going to try.

If possible, playing it solo first and bringing it next week might result in a better experience for the group and more chances to play in the future. Learning as you play is going to be tough and boring, potentially.

*edit* Or at minimum, find a good Watch It Played.
I've taken a look at the new rulebook pdf a bit and have it saved in my Books app. I was surprised when I saw that it was 40+ pages but then I saw that there is a hefty appendix in it that explains everything. It may be a large manual but at least it is supposed to be well-written and clear, unlike the first edition rulebook.
How should solo play work? Is it actual solo play or is it just "one player controls four different characters" typical co-op solo. If the game actually works with me just controlling one character only, I may give that a shot before taking it in. I do plan on watching some videos too, after the success I had with Burgle Bros. I have felt for a while like I am not that great at explaining rules after reading them but watching Burgle Bros get explained in the video and then played helped me to better explain it to the other players.

I also thought about learning Castles of Mad King Ludwig and taking that in though. That might wind up being a lot to keep track of.
Awesome.

The shop I use isn't getting RC until Q2.
Hope it actually gets to you then. It seems like physical stores have done alright with getting copies, as far as I've seen people saying on BGG. It's the OLGS that got the shaft with the first printing, Miniature Market getting it the worst.

Blizzard

Banned
I've taken a look at the new rulebook pdf a bit and have it saved in my Books app. I was surprised when I saw that it was 40+ pages but then I saw that there is a hefty appendix in it that explains everything. It may be a large manual but at least it is supposed to be well-written and clear, unlike the first edition rulebook.
How should solo play work? Is it actual solo play or is it just "one player controls four different characters" typical co-op solo. If the game actually works with me just controlling one character only, I may give that a shot before taking it in. I do plan on watching some videos too, after the success I had with Burgle Bros. I have felt for a while like I am not that great at explaining rules after reading them but watching Burgle Bros get explained in the video and then played helped me to better explain it to the other players.

I also thought about learning Castles of Mad King Ludwig and taking that in though. That might wind up being a lot to keep track of.

Hope it actually gets to you then. It seems like physical stores have done alright with getting copies, as far as I've seen people saying on BGG. It's the OLGS that got the shaft with the first printing, Miniature Market getting it the worst.
Solo is just controlling one or more characters (e.g. you + dog, or you + Friday + dog, or you + another character + Friday). The mechanics of picking actions should be the same.

Unfortunately the appendix doesn't cover ALL cards, so you may still have to make reasonable interpretations.

AMUSIX

For Crusoe, get the Cheat Sheet that is up on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113122/robinson-crusoe-cheat-sheet-graphic-overhaul

I printed a copy on some glossy cardstock, and it came out incredibly nice...game really should have had this in there. Oh, and expect a fairly steep learning curve.

Also, when you draw any cards from the explore/build/scavenge decks, try VERY hard to only read the top half. Game is MUCH better when you don't know what's coming.

Finally, one house rule that we always play with: In the game, when a character takes enough wounds to drop below one of the triggers, the camp morale goes down one. This is logical..."Oh, Bob's hurt bad, things really suck"...or maybe Bob just whines about his injuries more. Whatever, the loss of morale is understood. However, if you heal Bob back up to above the tick, the rules say that morale does NOT increase. In this way, Bob could get hurt, the camp loses morale, then Bob heals, and then gets hurt again, the camp would lose another morale. It happened a few times to us, and we decided to fuck that... So our house rule is that healing up past a tick also boosts morale. Thematically it works, and it really didn't change the difficulty that much, just prevented the truly player-morale crushing experiences.

EYEL1NER

Solo is just controlling one or more characters (e.g. you + dog, or you + Friday + dog, or you + another character + Friday). The mechanics of picking actions should be the same.

Unfortunately the appendix doesn't cover ALL cards, so you may still have to make reasonable interpretations.
I like the idea of controlling a single character and then having the dog and Friday providing assistance a lot more than having to juggle multiple characters, so I'll probably go that route. Thanks.
For Crusoe, get the Cheat Sheet that is up on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113122/robinson-crusoe-cheat-sheet-graphic-overhaul

I printed a copy on some glossy cardstock, and it came out incredibly nice...game really should have had this in there. Oh, and expect a fairly steep learning curve.

Also, when you draw any cards from the explore/build/scavenge decks, try VERY hard to only read the top half. Game is MUCH better when you don't know what's coming.

Finally, one house rule that we always play with: In the game, when a character takes enough wounds to drop below one of the triggers, the camp morale goes down one. This is logical..."Oh, Bob's hurt bad, things really suck"...or maybe Bob just whines about his injuries more. Whatever, the loss of morale is understood. However, if you heal Bob back up to above the tick, the rules say that morale does NOT increase. In this way, Bob could get hurt, the camp loses morale, then Bob heals, and then gets hurt again, the camp would lose another morale. It happened a few times to us, and we decided to fuck that... So our house rule is that healing up past a tick also boosts morale. Thematically it works, and it really didn't change the difficulty that much, just prevented the truly player-morale crushing experiences.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do as far as a nice printing of that cheat sheet off goes. I'll at least have it on my iPad with me whenever I'm playing the game. Your house rule sounds interesting as well. It doesn't sound bad thematically and while I don't do many house rules (I don't have a "No House Rules Ever" stance), I do like things that make sense thematically (like the house rules for Zombicide's "firing into a square with survivors in it" rule).

I hope I find a good video. I haven't checked but I imagine that there are a ton of them available. I don't really have a preference for tutorial videos yet; I don't think I've watched enough to know who I like and who I don't. I can only think of one tutorial video so far that I didn't care for and I would have to look it up to see who it was by. I did just watch a really good Castles of Mad King Ludwig vid though, since I said I'd try to take it with me next week to game night and try it out. It was barely over 20 mins long but I feel like I fully understand that game now. Of course a video for Robinson Crusoe will take a lot longer than 20 mins to explain things.
EDIT: I just looked at what Instructional videos are available for the game on BGG and will probably start with the
Watch It Played video. I know I've watched at least one or two of his before but I can't think of what games they were for. This video is for the new edition too, which makes it seem like the best place to begin.

I played a couple of games of Inis with my family tonight.

I can see why some people don't enjoy the game but fucking hell, I absolutely love it. It is so far up my alley and the way you see things creeping along and how easy it is for everyone to be close to victory all within a turn or two then denying cards to stop them but then other stuff happens that fucks everyone around.

I love this game and can't stop thinking about it and feel like playing it again and again because there is just this freshness to every game that feels so good and kind of comfy.

Kitbash

Of course a video for Robinson Crusoe will take a lot longer than 20 mins to explain things.
The game has a reputation for being difficult to learn, but it really isn't that bad. There are 6 phases in a round and although it may not be immediately obvious, they're literally laid out on the board, numbered and in order. 1-3 across the top, 4-6 across the bottom.

The game has a reputation for being difficult to learn, but it really isn't that bad. There are 6 phases in a round and although it may not be immediately obvious, they're literally laid out on the board, numbered and in order. 1-3 across the top, 4-6 across the bottom.

I agree. I've only played it 3 times (and can't wait to buy it myself). It didn't take much to figure out how to play it. Knowing what to do when, on the other hand can be hard. Or what to build into first, so to speak. That is part of the fun though.

I felt Scythe was really intuitive and easy to pick up though, and I still do feel that way. It took my regular group a few turns to really figure out the engine building, efficiency of production aspect of the game though. On the other hand, they aren't so used to games like that.

I just did my first solo game of The Colonists!
I scored 38 for era 1 and 88 for era 2.
I think those are low scores, hahaha. But I don't think I have an ideal board set up and I was figuring out the strats.
Enjoyed it so far though :)

sorry for my unsightly trash can on the corner of the room.

chifanpoe

I just did my first solo game of The Colonists!

I scored 38 for era 1 and 88 for era 2.
I think those are low scores, hahaha. But I don't think I have an ideal board set up and I was figuring out the strats.
Enjoyed it so far though :)

sorry for my unsightly trash can on the corner of the room.

Nice! Looks like a cool game I will have to check it out. How long did it take you to play a solo game?

I too tried my hand at my first solo game of Scythe last night. Very impressed by how the Automa deck works! It was a close game but I ened up sneaking out a victory in the end (59 - 55)
T3FD6b2.jpg

Mikeside

Scythe is absolutely my jam right now.
So excited about the many games I've acquired over the past month or two, but Scythe is the one I really wanna play most often

I just finished the Dunwich Legacy scenarios and all I can say is those Mythos Pack are not coming out fast enough.

I also just found out there's a FFG legacy campaign style game for Android Netrunner LCG. I was going to get rid of my Netrunner but I might have to give it a go.

Nice! Looks like a cool game I will have to check it out. How long did it take you to play a solo game?

I too tried my hand at my first solo game of Scythe last night. Very impressed by how the Automa deck works! It was a close game but I ened up sneaking out a victory in the end (59 - 55)
T3FD6b2.jpg

Game length is variable depending on how many eras you want to play (1-4). If your familiar with the game, each era should take about 30 minutes.
Learning the game and playing 2 eras took a couple hours.

Top Bottom