• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

MZoon

Neo Member
My collection is mostly light/party games so I plan to buy a bunch of mid weight gateway games. I've shortlisted Santorini, 7 Wonders: Duel, Catan, King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, Sheriff of Nottingham, Cash n' Guns, and Super-Vampire (seems like a decent game for kids). Many think Amazon will hold a sale next week so I'm gonna wait and hopefully figure out which games to get.

Is $45 a decent price for Santorini new?

$34 at coolstuffinc.

Palmer_v1

Played World of Yo Ho yesterday:

pic3213565_lg.jpg

It uses an app to make your cell phone your boat, which sits on the game board as you can see above. The game is a race to a certain number of "swag" points which is basically fame. You earn it by defeating sea monsters, other ships, or completing missions.

The missions in particular are where the app made it interesting. You secretly pick missions when in a port, but what you don't know for sure is whether other players are going to be offered competing missions. Your actions can also affect this, a bit. Failing or abandoning missions will cause missions to be offered that target you. You can also pay to leave a port incognito, but if you don't, players who go there later can learn more about what you did.

The app is also nice for being secretive about what cargo you're carrying. Do I risk attacking someone when they might have just bought a bunch of boarding defenses?

Setting up the game with the app was super easy. Just be on the same wi-fi and join a new game. We did have a few disconnects mid game, which usually required one person to restart their wi-fi to rejoin, and the game saves after every turn so you don't lose anything.

The only real downside was battery power. Most of us started at close to full charge, and were around 50% after 1 medium length game. I probably could have put my phone on power saver or something, though.

It's a game I'd happily play again.

pic2818607_md.jpg

JesseZao

Interesting concept. Is the app required?

I like the experimentation, but I don't want too many games in my collection that have software requirements.

I'd definitely want to play it though.

When is the Microsoft Surface Table coming out?

Mr E.

Is it true that some heroes are super hard to solo a dungeon with?
Haven't played with the Archer but that's one that I've heard is getting a tweak to buff her up.
Basically she spends time to gain encounter Dice (wild card) and she burns through the deck quickly. Don't let that deter you from this game though, thoroughly worth it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haven't played with the Archer but that's one that I've heard is getting a tweak to buff her up.
Basically she spends time to gain encounter Dice (wild card) and she burns through the deck quickly. Don't let that deter you from this game though, thoroughly worth it.

My copy arrives tomorrow. Super excited! :)

Gurrry

OMG GUYS OMG

I WON THE TOURNAMENT!!!

Sorry for the caps, but holy shit, this is the first tournament at anything that Ive ever won. I ended up running Kylo/Dooku and went against a Kylo/Trooper/Trooper, a Jaba deck (cant remember exactly), and Han/Rey.

I went 3-0 and the last game against Han Rey was super intense. I had him down to just Han, but he put a second chance on him towards the end... BUT.... he only had 2 cards in hand and none in deck. I hit a 2 discard side on Dooku and that was game.

I got 6 packs for winning and pulled a Falcon out of one of them.

I am so freaking happy and my adrenaline is pumping. I cant believe it!!!!

AMUSIX

Yesterday was a pretty successful gaming day.

Started with two games of Dodgy Dealers, a game from KS that just arrived the other day. Started with a 3-player round, then did a 6-player. To be honest, I went into the game not expecting much, but it ended up being very fun and everyone who played said they'd definitely play again in the future. Not sure how to explain play, other than you're trying to find a specific set of cards while trying to make sure others don't get theirs. Quality of the cards isn't the best (I'll likely find some sleeves to fit them) but that didn't do anything to detract from the game itself.

After that, one group ended up playing two games of Zombicide: Black Plague. The game has quickly become a favorite of our group, but I think we're starting to look for custom scenarios that lend themselves to longer/bigger games, so that the characters can level up more (most games end with most characters still in yellow).

Played a great game of Paperback, with five people. Scores ended up a little unbalanced, but the person who scored the lowest was hopped up on post-surgery pain killers, so I suppose that was to be expected.

We got Lords of Vegas set up, which I was really excited about, since I haven't gotten to play it in a long time. But just as we were set, more people arrived, so had to scrap it and go into something bigger.

Mysterium with the expansion went over beautifully. I love playing as the ghost, but I think I've got to get others to do that role. We didn't use any of the NA rules (the voting/ponts track) because it never made sense. I guess we just don't feel like we need just one winner, and the whole thing seems rather fiddly.

Played a couple great games of Wits and Wagers. I need to look into the other sets to see if they come with different colors. I only have the standard edition, and it's great that it supports 7, but we've found that we often have more.

Bunch of rounds of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. For anyone who has Vampire, do you find the roles are a good add? We love the game as it is, but would always be happy to add more (good) variety. I think our 'village' last night was:
-3 Villagers
-2 Werewolves
-Alpha Wolf
-Seer
-Troublemaker
-Robber
-Minion
-Tanner
-Drunk
-Aura Seer
I thought it was going to be too weighted towards the Werewolves, but ended up fairly balanced. I could see removing the Minion and replacing the Seer with the P.I.

Other than those, I think Onitama was pulled out, and maybe some people played 7 Wonders Duel.

Oh, and last week we played Alchemists, which was fantastic, and needs to hit the table again soon.

EYEL1NER

Sounds like a good day, AMUSIX. I can't wait until I get to play Paperback but I have to wait until Fugitive ships since I got it as an add on.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
OMG GUYS OMG

I WON THE TOURNAMENT!!!

Sorry for the caps, but holy shit, this is the first tournament at anything that Ive ever won. I ended up running Kylo/Dooku and went against a Kylo/Trooper/Trooper, a Jaba deck (cant remember exactly), and Han/Rey.

I went 3-0 and the last game against Han Rey was super intense. I had him down to just Han, but he put a second chance on him towards the end... BUT.... he only had 2 cards in hand and none in deck. I hit a 2 discard side on Dooku and that was game.

I got 6 packs for winning and pulled a Falcon out of one of them.

I am so freaking happy and my adrenaline is pumping. I cant believe it!!!!

grats dude, that's a great feeling. Post your list!

Gurrry

grats dude, that's a great feeling. Post your list!

Def will! Will probably post it on SWD tonight. However, its not much different than the standard Kylo Dooku thats out there now. The biggest difference is only 1 kylo saber and 1 force choke, and 1 mind probe and thats mainly because I only have 1 copy of them.

I had a ton of fun today and am still super pumped about the win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Def will! Will probably post it on SWD tonight. However, its not much different than the standard Kylo Dooku thats out there now. The biggest difference is only 1 kylo saber and 1 force choke, and 1 mind probe and thats mainly because I only have 1 copy of them.

I had a ton of fun today and am still super pumped about the win.

haha that's great. bummed there aren't many tournaments around me (they're all up SF and north) so haven't played in one a month. feel like my skills are waning even though i've been playing a ton on TTS :p. also not sure when the next one is i'll be able to make. hopefully one more before rebellion comes out

Palmer_v1

Interesting concept. Is the app required?

I like the experimentation, but I don't want too many games in my collection that have software requirements.

I'd definitely want to play it though.

When is the Microsoft Surface Table coming out?

4 people can play with one device, but it would lose some of the charm, I think, and certain functions would make it the game take longer.

Damn I thought it was iOS only for some reason. Definitely gonna look into this.

Nope, we played with an iphone 7, a pixel, and two android phones.

Edit:

Maybe the best/weirdest part of World of Yo Ho is that everyone is actually paying attention to the game since their phones aren't available.

EYEL1NER

I'm not exactly sure what all is going to get played this Wednesday but I think I am going to pitch Five Tribes. It's obvious that a few of the people in the group are Euro-fans and I don't have many Euros (Five Tribes, Power Grid, Bora Bora, Castles of Burgandy, Puerto Rico, a few others). I watched an instructional video though and it is fairly simple and looks like a lot of fun. I like the looks of the gameplay, what with the picking up and dropping off of meeples.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got some games in a few days ago. Played a couple games of Memoir 44. One thing I really appreciate about that game is how fast it plays compared to most games of that genre.

Also played a game of Warhammer Relic. Thought it was pretty fun, mechanics felt similar to Arkham/Eldritch.

I've known about this for awhile, but last night's gaming session has had me thinking harder on my general AP and slowness of turns compared to the average in the groups I play with. The game in question was Concordia, (which granted was my first time playing and my first euro in a little while), and the thought trigger was likely that along with players being more direct about the slower turns than usual. Usually I've played with people who may just playfully threaten to pull out a sand timer or point out that we have a time limit, but this group was more persistent and pointed about it, directly asking if I'm thinking about my turn while everyone is taking theres, etc.

I'm trying to be better about really having things ready to go by the time my turn comes up but in heavier games with multiple ways to score that doesn't always feel like enough. I do enjoy playing them though, so some thoughts would be appreciated, both from people who tend to be this sort of player and those who don't but maybe play with people that do.

Blizzard

Banned
I've known about this for awhile, but last night's gaming session has had me thinking harder on my general AP and slowness of turns compared to the average in the groups I play with. The game in question was Concordia, (which granted was my first time playing and my first euro in a little while), and the thought trigger was likely that along with players being more direct about the slower turns than usual. Usually I've played with people who may just playfully threaten to pull out a sand timer or point out that we have a time limit, but this group was more persistent and pointed about it, directly asking if I'm thinking about my turn while everyone is taking theres, etc.

I'm trying to be better about really having things ready to go by the time my turn comes up but in heavier games with multiple ways to score that doesn't always feel like enough. I do enjoy playing them though, so some thoughts would be appreciated, both from people who tend to be this sort of player and those who don't but maybe play with people that do.
If the game allows it, focusing on planning future moves before one's turn comes up is helpful.

Past that, sometimes one just has to let go and make a quick, "bad" (sub-optimal) move. It's not the end of the world and everyone else will have more fun. The fairest solution is probably to start using a timer on everyone if it becomes an issue, and that way no one player is yelled at too much. Hopefully.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am a full blown a Splotter fanboy now. Indonesia and Food Chain Magnate are so simple to play and unique, but still incredibly deep. They both manage to be filled with player interactions and high, HIGH amounts of conflict without any combat. I wish they were not so limited and expensive so more people could try them out. Can't wait to get Great Zimbabwe in and for the Antiquity reprint.

Karkador

Banned
I am a full blown a Splotter fanboy now. Indonesia and Food Chain Magnate are so simple to play and unique, but still incredibly deep. They both manage to be filled with player interactions and high, HIGH amounts of conflict without any combat. I wish they were not so limited and expensive so more people could try them out. Can't wait to get Great Zimbabwe in and for the Antiquity reprint.

Would you say Indonesia feels different enough from Food Chain to have both? How is it in terms of amount of rules and extra side shit like the Milestones in Food Chain?

Gurrry

Never played the game in question, but it sounds like a fix would be to just practice the game more often and learn more about it. Once you are more comfortable with the game, I feel like you will just instinctively know what to do on your turn.

Hopefully they werent being dicks about it. Its all just fun and if I have someone who is constantly pushing for the turns to go faster, I feel like Im not really playing anymore and instead we are just trying to rush to the end game.

I get the whole "think about your turn while other people are going", but in most games, someone might do something that completely changes what you wanted to do and now you have to rethink a new play. The only way I know to combat this is to just have more experience with the game overall.

haha that's great. bummed there aren't many tournaments around me (they're all up SF and north) so haven't played in one a month. feel like my skills are waning even though i've been playing a ton on TTS :p. also not sure when the next one is i'll be able to make. hopefully one more before rebellion comes out

Yeah man Im really lucky. My area has open plays and tournaments every single day of the week at various locations. Some are 30-40 minutes away, others are like 5-15 minutes away. We have a great community in Austin and tons of stores to go to. Super grateful for that.

emag

I'd love to play some Splotter games (particularly FCM), as they sound right up my alley, but the time commitment is just not feasible with my regular group. 3 hours (for a 4P game with slightly AP players) is an absolute hard limit, unfortunately.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to do better in competitive strategy games in my first play rather than my second because I rely more on my instincts than trying to piece together some sort of high level plan. I think a lot of people don't care to think more than a turn or two in advance, so most strategy games are reacted to very tactically. I would say, try paying attention to what the person after you does, but especially the person before you as you try and prepare for your upcoming turn. You want to be aware of the current game state and what are the two or three possible moves you would do on your next turn.

Also, it'd help to know what you had AP over. Were you waffling between a few of your choices and couldn't decide? Or just thinking too long on the current game state and predicting what a possible move would change?

Of course it depends from game to game, and it helps if you vocalize a few of your hang ups, so at least the others will have something to do besides stare at the board or you as you think. You may not want to divulge what you're thinking, but you could also use that to your advantage as well. ;)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Would you say Indonesia feels different enough from Food Chain to have both? How is it in terms of amount of rules and extra side shit like the Milestones in Food Chain?

It is definitely a very different game. I was worried about the sameyness as well when it hit the table as they both boil down to players providing X to city/house Y. Just a few rounds though and it is easy to see it is a very different animal.

Indonesia is even more straightforward than FCM, rules wise. No side stuff like milestones to keep up with or anything. It is, however, just as intricate. Just like FCM it is very math heavy, and you have to keep track of supply and transport lines and such. I will say that we played with people who had played FCM and other splotters before and they picked it up in no time.

I'd love to play some Splotter games (particularly FCM), as they sound right up my alley, but the time commitment is just not feasible with my regular group. 3 hours (for a 4P game with slightly AP players) is an absolute hard limit, unfortunately.

Something unique about Indonesia at least is that it plays faster with more players. A full 5 player game would probably take like an hour and a half.

Karkador

Banned
It is definitely a very different game. I was worried about the sameyness as well when it hit the table as they both boil down to players providing X to city/house Y. Just a few rounds though and it is easy to see it is a very different animal.

Indonesia is even more straightforward than FCM, rules wise. No side stuff like milestones to keep up with or anything. It is, however, just as intricate. Just like FCM it is very math heavy, and you have to keep track of supply and transport lines and such. I will say that we played with people who had played FCM and other splotters before and they picked it up in no time.

Something unique about Indonesia at least is that it plays faster with more players. A full 5 player game would probably take like an hour and a half.

Nice. Someone on BGG offered me a trade for Indonesia, and I already own FCM, but I feel like a Splotter game might hit the table more often than A Study in Emerald 1e

Bane

Last weekend I played Talisman and dug it. I was mistakenly under the impression that it was essentially Chutes and Ladders for adults but, while it is simple, it does have a bit more depth than I was led to believe. I now have Relic on the way from Amazon. Aside from friends having Talisman I much prefer the art style of Relic and I like when a game has a finite run.

JSR_Cube

Last weekend I played Talisman and dug it. I was mistakenly under the impression that it was essentially Chutes and Ladders for adults but, while it is simple, it does have a bit more depth than I was led to believe. I now have Relic on the way from Amazon. Aside from friends having Talisman I much prefer the art style of Relic and I like when a game has a finite run.

Heresy! The game is supposed to last five hours and ending with someone falling into the horrible black void! :)

Blizzard

Banned
Heresy! The game is supposed to last five hours and ending with someone falling into the horrible black void! :)
In our case it involved something like 3-5 hours, someone nearly being blacklisted from games night, and everyone swearing not to play it again for the rest of the year. We must have played it properly. :p

Amory

Anyone else pitch in for the Tortuga kickstarter? Looks like a fun little pirate game, and the game itself and the packaging is beautiful!

IMG_0562_zpskeczqj1o.png

EYEL1NER

Anyone else pitch in for the Tortuga kickstarter? Looks like a fun little pirate game, and the game itself and the packaging is beautiful!

IMG_0562_zpskeczqj1o.png
I'm 99% sure I'm gonna kick money at it in the next day or two before it ends. Their first game, Salem (which is also in a faux book), is $20 on Amazon and I think I'll get that as well.

JesseZao

I'd rather buy something that I can play now and I know is good than throw money at pre-order culture and wait for 6+ months. If a game's good, I'll be able to buy it after it comes out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha how have I not heard that before. That's exactly what Talisman is.

Kuntz

Playing 2 rooms and a boom with 14 teenagers is heaven and hell at the same time.
Can't wait to blow their minds with gamechanging characters.

Oh you share too much too easily? Well then let's add a hot potato and mummies for starters, that'll teach you!

Nezumi

Great, all that talk about Food Chain Magnate had me really interested only to learn that it is our of print and the copies still circling around are ridiculously expensive :(

chifanpoe

Great, all that talk about Food Chain Magnate had me really interested only to learn that it is our of print and the copies still circling around are ridiculously expensive :(

It is available at many places, just an expensive game as are all of the games from the dev.

fenners

No, it's just expensive, around $100. That's the actual cost, not inflated.

It's really rather awesome.

EYEL1NER

After deciding to try to play Five Tribes and learning how to play, I looked to see if Tabletop had done a play of it and then checked it out when I saw that they had. That got me watching more of their vids (I really want to play my copy of Takenoko now; I've still only played it during Intl. Tabletop Day '14). Since I'm still waiting for copies of Strike to hit the US and be cheap again, I am thinking I'll get Roll For It Deluxe Edition. Their playthrough of it made it look like a neat little microgame. Should be a good intro or closer game for a game night, or a good game to play with my family.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
i finally caved and ordered food chain magnate :(

now i just need to find another 2-3 clowns to spend 2-3 hours with me

I will quote myself from a few pages back about this game.

Guys if you have 100 dollars just get Food Chain Magnate. You also have to like mean games and crushing peoples dreams. Being able to survive extreme mid game depression also is needed as well as not flipping the table when someone scores 15x your points. You also should like games where you have to do 10 things every turn but can only fit 5 or 6. And losing. Gotta like that.

It really is something. If you get into a close game going back and forth with someone in FCM it is just so insane. The roller coaster of feelings you get, some rounds people making no money at all because a player that was way behind crashed the advertisement by slipping in sonething no one could provide. Realizing someone across the city slashed prices so hard that they stole your customers away. Going first in a pivotal round is nerve wracking as everyone can adjust to every move you try to make. What a game.

fenners

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so now that I've gone unbeaten / won at several events with Jango decks, I'm starting to work my way into other Destiny decks as well.

Played at lunch today with a new Rey/Han (thanks Astrolad) and Vader/Raider against Jango (won with Han - even with a couple big mistakes, lost barely with Vader in a cleanly played game).

Want to get some Poe action going soon too.

Amazing the amount of decks that seem to be viable in the game. If Jango wasn't in the game at all, it might be even better.

Karkador

Banned
Unrelated, but I'm offering my communities some free game codes from the Humble Freedom bundle. Just reply in this thread with your request, first come first serve, one game per post. No spamming the thread, please!

Keep in mind, you're competing to gobble up these games with the NeoGAF Mafia Community, make sure to pay them a visit and sign up to play!

Steam Games Up For Grabs, 100% Free, Not Fake News, Classical Fact

Day of the Tentacle
Overgrowth
Nuclear Throne
Invisible, Inc <--Karkador Recommended
Super Meat Boy
World of Goo
Mushroom 11
Guacamelee
The Swapper <-- Karkador Recommended
Spirits
A Virus Named TOM
Waking Mars
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora
7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat <-- Karkador Recommended
Mini Metro <-- Karkador Recommended
Retro Game Crunch
Tower of Guns
AI War: Fleet Command
Secrets of Rætikon
Ellipsis
Streamline
Ninja Pizza Girl
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so now that I've gone unbeaten / won at several events with Jango decks, I'm starting to work my way into other Destiny decks as well.

Played at lunch today with a new Rey/Han (thanks Astrolad) and Vader/Raider against Jango (won with Han - even with a couple big mistakes, lost barely with Vader in a cleanly played game).

Want to get some Poe action going soon too.

Amazing the amount of decks that seem to be viable in the game. If Jango wasn't in the game at all, it might be even better.

It's honestly really cool. I feel like even T2 decks can easily beat T1 decks, just not consistently so which is what makes them T2. But it's not a wipeout by any means.

Top Bottom