• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

chifanpoe

I finally got a play in of Concordia last night. That game is very good.

That it is. I have played it 2p and 3p both being great. Some of the newer maps are better for 2p (smaller) but I have yet to try them out.

I was able to pick up a cheap copy of Salsa on amazon last week ($19.37), looking forward to trying a game with the salt and forum cards added into the game.

Is gloomhaven the kind of "legacy" when you stick things and tear stuff ?

Or can you do a "complete reset" of the game like it has never been palyed ?

Keasar

Is gloomhaven the kind of "legacy" when you stick things and tear stuff ?

Or can you do a "complete reset" of the game like it has never been palyed ?

You don't seem to destroy stuff but the stickers definitely seem to be permanent (unless you scrub them off) and not removable.

The creator did however point out that there is a company selling removable and re-usable stickers who are going to create a second edition version for the updated game:
http://www.sinisterfish.com/product/gloomhaven-removable-sticker-set-retail/

XShagrath

Smoother? How?
It's been a while since I played Race (at least a few years), but I remember the iconography being a little clunkier, and the decisions a little bit more involved due to the multi-use cards. If I want to play a similarly themed card game, I prefer Eminent Domain.

Karkador

Banned
Roll and Race for the Galaxy are hard to compare. They have more differences than similarities. I also think Eminent Domain comes up very short as an alternative, but it is a neat deck building game.

However, I don't know how you can have iconography issues with Race, and not Roll. It's the same icons.

chifanpoe

However, I don't know how you can have iconography issues with Race, and not Roll. It's the same icons.

I personally don't have issues with the iconography, but several people in my group have said that was the issue with not liking Race vs Roll. They are both good games, but that tends to be they way I have seen others go. I think another factor is which did you learn to play first. Of my friends I think all but 1 like Roll over Race that learned to play Race first.

Lyng

I personally don't have issues with the iconography, but several people in my group have said that was the issue with not liking Race vs Roll. They are both good games, but that tends to be they way I have seen others go. I think another factor is which did you learn to play first. Of my friends I think all but 1 like Roll over Race that learned to play Race first.

I can see the icons as a hurdle but after a few plays they are easy to understand. Honestly the one thing I love the most about Race is how crunchy each decision is while still beeing fast and streamlined to play. Roll just seems like a clunkier game with less decisions.

The Gloomhaven reprint KS already at over 16k backers, I wish I had backed it a bit quicker, I wonder if the earlier backers might receive their copies a bit sooner? I read some people were waiting longer than expected for the last KS they did.

chifanpoe

The Gloomhaven reprint KS already at over 16k backers, I wish I had backed it a bit quicker, I wonder if the earlier backers might receive their copies a bit sooner? I read some people were waiting longer than expected for the last KS they did.

The people stuck waiting longer were because of Amazon messing up shipments. If you read the FAQ on the 2nd kickstarter it is brought up in there.

You don't seem to destroy stuff but the stickers definitely seem to be permanent (unless you scrub them off) and not removable.

The creator did however point out that there is a company selling removable and re-usable stickers who are going to create a second edition version for the updated game:
http://www.sinisterfish.com/product/gloomhaven-removable-sticker-set-retail/

Ah.. I don't really care for legacy style games.. I mean, I'm sure I'd have a blast, but I loathe the idea of not being able to reset. When I play games, it's not scheduled, not a dedicated group of people necessarily, and is more or less on a whim. It just wouldn't suit me currently.

fenners

Is Gloomhaven any good?

Yes. It's not a flash in the pan mini heavy KS golden child. It's a rock solid tactical card management battler, with a long campaign, with elements of legacy games (but stuff can be reversed easily enough).

It's definitely not for everyone, for sure.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
In the Arkham Horror LCG I collected 4 clues in one action. Using Rex, he gets an additional clue when passing a skill test by 2, and I used upgraded deduction which gives you two additional clues if you pass by two or more as well. Pretty awesome.

Attempted to play Maskmen tonight. Each time we thought we understood the rules, we'd immediately have a new question that didn't seem to be answered in the rules. The most helpful reference was the video on the official website, although it was in Japanese, it had a helpful graphic, but not helpful enough.

Here's what I think I understand so far..

Host picks a wrestler for the new season, plays a single card, places a strength marker on the table.
Next player plays a different wrestler with at least +1 cards, but no more than three total cards. So either plays 2 cards for that new wrestler, or 3 cards, and puts his strength marker ahead of the first wrestler.
If 2 cards, the next player can play a third wrestler with 3 cards, adds the strength marker ahead of both those other wrestlers.
This is apparently now the end of the round (?).
My impression is that each time there are three cards played, you have to start a new round and try to figure out the strength values between tied wrestlers?.. I'm so confused. I've seen what you CAN do from the video, but I don't really know what you can't do.. Like, you can apparently play the cards of a wrestler whose strength was already determined, but you have the play the last number of cards played, but is that only of the former round's wrestlers? I mean, what if everyone just started playing 2 cards of every wrestler that was already on the table? Can you play the same guy twice in one round?

In the end, we hadn't a clue.

Can someone explain how to play this game, and in great detail?

Btw, my version is slightly different than every version in videos on the internet, but I think the main difference is in how you use the strength markers, so the gameplay part ought to be the same, I think.

Help!!

Attempted to play Maskmen tonight. Each time we thought we understood the rules, we'd immediately have a new question that didn't seem to be answered in the rules. The most helpful reference was the video on the official website, although it was in Japanese, it had a helpful graphic, but not helpful enough.

Host picks a wrestler for the new season, plays a single card, places a strength marker on the table.
Next player plays a different wrestler with at least +1 cards, but no more than three total cards. So either plays 2 cards for that new wrestler, or 3 cards, and puts his strength marker ahead of the first wrestler.
If 2 cards, the next player can play a third wrestler with 3 cards, adds the strength marker ahead of both those other wrestlers.
My impression is that each time there are three cards played, you have to start a new round and try to figure out the strength values between tied wrestlers?.. I'm so confused. I've seen what you CAN do from the video, but I don't really know what you can't do.. Like, you can apparently play the cards of a wrestler whose strength was already determined, but you have the play the last number of cards played, but is that only of the former round's wrestlers? I mean, what if everyone just started playing 2 cards of every wrestler that was already on the table? Can you play the same guy twice in one round?

Btw, my version is slightly different than every version in videos on the internet, but I think the main difference is in how you use the strength markers, so the gameplay part ought to be the same, I think.

Help!!

That game is infamous for its rules. I also have yet to play it. Will post if I manage to.

Lupercal

Banned
Found a copy of Rick ²& Morty : Total Rickall in the wild (keep in mind, in Europe it costs about 50-60 €) for 25 €.
Going to try it out in a bit, hyped !

Today I got those Zen Bin custom trays for Star Wars Rebellion and they are worth it, everything looks organized and it only takes a short amount of time to set up the game.

Now I'm thinking about getting some custom trays for Mansions of Madness.

Karkador

Banned

Help!!

I'm a Maskmen expert, and I got you covered. When I get home to a proper keyboard, I'll give you the full rundown, and then you'll be an expert too. It's not too complicated, honest.

zulux21

with the arkham horror card game it says I can buy a second base set to make the game 4 player.

I am wondering do I have to buy a second base set for that, or if I buy some expansions would I be able to play with 4 players instead of 2?

with the arkham horror card game it says I can buy a second base set to make the game 4 player.

I am wondering do I have to buy a second base set for that, or if I buy some expansions would I be able to play with 4 players instead of 2?

It would have to be a second core set. That way you'd have enough starter decks for the investigators, though if you're super into creating a custom deck, you'd need two core sets to be able to do that for 2 players. If you just want to use the prebuilt decks listed in the manual, then it would work for 4 players.

The Dunwich Legacy expansion has new investigators, so I think you can get that and use those investigators with the core game as well. I haven't looked too much into it, since I've been a bit busy and haven't played the main campaign as often as I'd like. But I read that some investigators share the same class (and use the same cards in their deck), so they can't be played together unless you have more sets.

zulux21

It would have to be a second core set. That way you'd have enough starter decks for the investigators, though if you're super into creating a custom deck, you'd need two core sets to be able to do that for 2 players. If you just want to use the prebuilt decks listed in the manual, then it would work for 4 players.

The Dunwich Legacy expansion has new investigators, so I think you can get that and use those investigators with the core game as well. I haven't looked too much into it, since I've been a bit busy and haven't played the main campaign as often as I'd like. But I read that some investigators share the same class (and use the same cards in their deck), so they can't be played together unless you have more sets.

ah... I will have to try to get the game on the table at some point and see if I want to invest in a second core set to play with 4 eventually then.

ah... I will have to try to get the game on the table at some point and see if I want to invest in a second core set to play with 4 eventually then.

It should be doable on Easy difficulty, but for harder difficulties you really want to create the best possible decks for your investgators, and you just need more base cards for that. This is one of the problems with the LCG model: should they include more cards in the base set and increase the price, or make the necessary cards you need to properly deck build sold separately?

Karkador

Banned
Alright, Maskmen explained.

First, think of the card play as a "fight" or a "match", where the main action is taking place. A match will potentially have 6 wrestlers enter the ring, and a match is what shapes the ranking. However, those changes only shift whatever was involved in single match.

Then, think of the ranking itself like a script that's being written for the overall wrestling season (because wrestling is scripted, duh). So you are shaping the script with the matches you create via cardplay, but the pendulum eventually swings back and you have to play cards according to the script.

Setup:

1) Shuffle the deck, and deal each player a hand of cards, depending on the number of players.

2-4 players / 10 cards each
5 players / 9 cards each
6 players / 8 cards each

2) Put the wrestler tokens to one side; these are used to show the rank of the wrestlers, but this is undetermined at the start of each season.

3) The player who last watched a pro wrestling match is the starting player for the very first round (I love thematic start player conditions!).

Gameplay:

The game is played across 4 "Seasons" (or 3 seasons for 2 players). Each season, players will play cards over several rounds(matches) to try and shed all the cards in their hand.

The season continues until all but one player has played their entire hand. The first player to play all their cards will get +2 points; second place gets +1; third place and on get nothing, but last place gets -1 points.

General rules and concepts for playing cards:

1) On their turn, a player may play 1 to 3 cards from their hand of the same wrestler color- or they may pass and sit out the rest of the round.

2) A player may only play a wrestler type which hasn't been played that round - if Player A plays Blue, and Player B then plays Green, Player C may then play any wrestler other than Blue or Green. Since there are 6 suits, there will be a maximum of 6 plays made per round.

3) The wrestler markers show the relative Strength of each wrestler. Place a stronger wrestler to the left of a wrestler marker. Likewise, place a weaker wrestler to the right.
(or do it the other direction, just make sure its consistent)

4) Cards must be played in ascending order, according to their Strength. This means cards are played in two ways:

• If a wrestler has not "debuted" this season (their marker is not yet in the line-up), you must play 1 more card than the last player in order to "debut" that wrestler. You want to make a big entrance, right?

This will effectively prove that your played wrestler is stronger than the wrestlers previously played in that round. If you are the starting player, you may only debut a new wrestler on your first turn with 1 card.
  • If a wrestler's strength has already been determined this season (their token is in the line-up), then you match the same number of cards played by the previous player.

That's a copy/paste from the thread I made on BGG (years ago!) to explain the game.

You can also find a pretty detailed example of play in that post, where I go through a few different cases.

Blizzard

Banned
Alright, Maskmen explained.

First, think of the card play as a "fight" or a "match", where the main action is taking place. A match will potentially have 6 wrestlers enter the ring, and a match is what shapes the ranking. However, those changes only happen
Thanks for the explanation! Did something get missed after "only happen" though?

It's a staple in any collection. Best played with 4 players. Any enjoy it for the wacky narrative, it's not always the most balanced game.

We're planning to play with 6 players during "glamping" so the theme really fits well. Does it feel slower with 6 players?
Can you recommend similar board games that works well with 6 players? I appreciate the feedback!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like the new Runewars minis game from FFG is getting pretty meh reviews. It's FFG and (insanely, almost self-parodic) generic fantasy so I'm sure it'll still sell a billion, but maybe won't dethrone GW like FFG wants? :p

I'm probably already out on it just based on how uninterested I am in that universe, but it's interesting to see the Wings of War/X-Wing dials-and-templates mechanic come over to even more games. Seems to be one of the most common complaints about the new Runewars. I'm beyond done with that mechanic. Sure it was cool in X-Wing, but it's just incredibly tedious after a while, and doesn't work well outside of that very specific dogfight context (which even there I'm ready for something new).

Palmer_v1

We're planning to play with 6 players during "glamping" so the theme really fits well. Does it feel slower with 6 players?
Can you recommend similar board games that works well with 6 players? I appreciate the feedback!

What's the age range for your camping trip? I camp once or twice a year, and usually bring board games as well.

Codenames is one I always take
Munchkin - I dislike this game nowadays, but it's sort of a tradition
Betrayal at House on the Hill - It works fine with 6 players.
Diamonds - Just a twist on Hearts/Spades
Bang The Dice Game
Pandemic the Dice Game
La Granja: No Siesta

and more depending on my mood and who is coming.

Looks like the new Runewars minis game from FFG is getting pretty meh reviews. It's FFG and (insanely, almost self-parodic) generic fantasy so I'm sure it'll still sell a billion, but maybe won't dethrone GW like FFG wants? :p

I'm probably already out on it just based on how uninterested I am in that universe, but it's interesting to see the Wings of War/X-Wing dials-and-templates mechanic come over to even more games. Seems to be one of the most common complaints about the new Runewars. I'm beyond done with that mechanic. Sure it was cool in X-Wing, but it's just incredibly tedious after a while, and doesn't work well outside of that very specific dogfight context (which even there I'm ready for something new).

I didn't realize people were down on the xwing movement system. I haven't played it, but it always seemed interesting. I agree that it seems weird to use it in aything but a flying game though.

Blizzard

Banned
I wouldn't say Betrayal is a staple. It's very divisive and can be a very negative experience for some players. It's been discussed in the thread before.

My group might play it once in a blue moon.

zulux21

What's the age range for your camping trip? I camp once or twice a year, and usually bring board games as well.

Codenames is one I always take
Munchkin - I dislike this game nowadays, but it's sort of a tradition
Betrayal at House on the Hill - It works fine with 6 players.
Diamonds - Just a twist on Hearts/Spades
Bang The Dice Game
Pandemic the Dice Game
La Granja: No Siesta

and more depending on my mood and who is coming.

I didn't realize people were down on the xwing movement system. I haven't played it, but it always seemed interesting. I agree that it seems weird to use it in aything but a flying game though.
they asked for games that work well with 6 players not games that will make them want to go on a murder spree with 6 players.

munchkin is a 4 player max game, any more than that and you are only doing it because you hate yourself or hate others. No sane person should ever play munchkin with more than 4 players once, as after one time you will understand how stupid of a decision that was.

I still enjoy munchkin in general, but playing munchkin with 6 players makes monopoly feel like it's a well balanced fun game even with house rules like free parking money ect. The major problem with munchkin with that many players is that between attempts to win there is enough time for everyone to restock items and in general it becomes impossible for someone to go out as everyone else just has more than enough stuff to keep someone from winning.

I wouldn't say Betrayal is a staple. It's very divisive and can be a very negative experience for some players. It's been discussed in the thread before.

My group might play it once in a blue moon.

I would easily recommend betrayal to people over stuff like catan or ticket to ride at this point. Most of the people I have gamed with vastly prefer betrayal over those... heck most of my gaming circle actively dislikes catan. I will agree though that if your group is hardcore euro players and hate american games though to avoid it.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot to actually make suggestions for 6 players, so here you go:

Libertalia is a pirate game that works nicely because all players take their turns simultaneously, and then one player resolves the cards.

7 Wonders is a tableau-building game where everyone takes their turns simultaneously.

Codenames (or the newer Codenames: Pictures) are guessing games where you split into two teams and a leader gives word clues for their team to pick word/picture cards.

Mysterium is a guessing game where a silent player gives picture clues and other players have to associate them with other pictures of a murderer, location, and weapon.

I will agree that Munchkin should not be played with 6 unless you strongly house rule "I'm setting a 1-hour timer. When it runs out, we finish the round and the highest score wins. No one is allowed to bitch about the results."

Dreavus

Oh man! I remember the Runewars strategy game from years ago. Kind of a cool game but set-up is ridiculous and it's quite long to play. With the way orders worked it's also super hard to defend from two places at once. I think if I ever tried to play it again 2v2 might be the way to go. It's one of those games that might have been better off as just being a video game in some respects.

I still have the expansion for it unopened! (It added actual tech choices which might be cool.)

As boring as the universe is I'm kind of surprised they've been able to keep it consistent after all this time.

mercviper

So Gloomhaven. A lot of hype on here the past couple weeks and I finally got to try it as they are releasing a minicampaign on TTS to follow alongside the KS reprint. It's really good! Right up my alley as I love tactics rpgs and the 2 scenarios I've played so far with friends convinced me to back it as well when I really shouldn't be spending money lol.

Phthisis

Today I got those Zen Bin custom trays for Star Wars Rebellion and they are worth it, everything looks organized and it only takes a short amount of time to set up the game.

Now I'm thinking about getting some custom trays for Mansions of Madness.

Same. They are sexy. Hope they come out with more for other games.

Peléo

Have been playing a lot of Santorini lately, absolutely love the game. Was looking for another 2 player game after a lot of 7 Wonders: Duel and this was the perfect fit. Every single match is so different from each other, it has been a great experience so far.

Top Bottom